• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
*throws his weight around* Boys, you're acting insane!

Chrono Trigger is one of the most nostalgic SNES games ever. If you ask ANYBODY who had a SNES when it was still the big console and they were big gamers they will almost certainly pick Chrono Trigger as one of their favorite games. It is ALWAYS competing with Ocarina of Time and FF7 for "best game ever," and it WAS until those two came around. How are we even arguing this? The only reason people who play video games today don't talk about it/call it insignificant is because they're all under the age of 18 and are certifiably "noobs" as far as video game history is concerned. Unless you were there, you can't claim how popular or significant a game was. That's like saying the '60s was all about hippies fighting the power and hence everyone from the '60s was a stoned flower child. :laugh: Chrono Trigger's original development team disbanded and so Square is not interested in another sequel. And because Chrono Cross was a PSX game, a lot of younger gamers who started gaming with the PS2 have no idea either game existed. It's the same argument for Mario RPG. Just because you started gaming AFTER the SNES doesn't mean the game isn't important.

Ugh... Learn to respect history, guys. Understand that you weren't there. You don't understand. Mario RPG was a BIG deal. Chrono Trigger was a BIG deal. There were games before, gasp, the Gamecube and the XBOX. Before gaming became the biggest hobby amongst 13-30 year old males. It used to be something that wasn't in the public's eye and there were, in fact, games that made it big BEFORE the existance of giant "hollywood" style titles and huge American developers. Back when Sega and Nintendo duked it out for dominance and Sony was the little engine that could. Why the hell else is Sonic in Smash Bros. Brawl? To appease Sega? Because they're cutting a deal with Sonic Team after Mario and Sonic at the Olympics?

God no. It's because 15 years ago Sonic and Mario were bigger than sliced bread. Because people who are old enough to recall "Sega does what Nintendon't" have been waiting eons for this to happen. It's a nod to the gamers of old, the same people who played Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, Metal Gear (on the NES!), Super Metroid, Kid Icarus, Link to the Past, Sonic 3 and Knuckles... All these CLASSIC games that happened when the biggest fans were still kids. Games that are ingrained in their memories of youth and cheerier days, before they had to grow up and get jobs. If there's anything I love about Smash, it's that I can relive my own memories of waking up to Mario 3 under the tree or getting a Sega Genesis when it was the hottest thing. I don't care what you think about "now," but Mario RPG was significant to ME when it happened. And I'm almost positive it mattered to a TON of people who remember it well. Think about where the world of gaming has come from. Think about Game & Watch, the Famicom Disk System, the first Zelda, the Virtual Boy, the Playstation, the massive Squaresoft RPGs BEFORE 3D... There's a whole generation of people who actually would APPRECIATE and ENJOY seeing these things in Smash. Why would Sakurai give them the royal screw just because some of the newer fans or "pop gamers" don't want him to?

There's a reason they make movies like Transformers and GI Joe. People LIKE seeing things from their childhood born again. It's a beautiful business practice.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Then why did he state Geno isn't popular?
Does it really matter if he's popular or not?

Sakurai himself said that he doesn't care much for only adding popular characters, seeing as it's a boring roster without surprises. He puts in what he's interested in, and looking at his journal entries, Geno is what he's interested in.

... :) Nice try again.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
*throws his weight around* Boys, you're acting insane!

Chrono Trigger is one of the most nostalgic SNES games ever. If you ask ANYBODY who had a SNES when it was still the big console and they were big gamers they will almost certainly pick Chrono Trigger as one of their favorite games. It is ALWAYS competing with Ocarina of Time and FF7 for "best game ever," and it WAS until those two came around. How are we even arguing this? The only reason people who play video games today don't talk about it/call it insignificant is because they're all under the age of 18 and are certifiably "noobs" as far as video game history is concerned. Unless you were there, you can't claim how popular or significant a game was. That's like saying the '60s was all about hippies fighting the power and hence everyone from the '60s was a stoned flower child. :laugh: Chrono Trigger's original development team disbanded and so Square is not interested in another sequel. And because Chrono Cross was a PSX game, a lot of younger gamers who started gaming with the PS2 have no idea either game existed. It's the same argument for Mario RPG. Just because you started gaming AFTER the SNES doesn't mean the game isn't important.

Ugh... Learn to respect history, guys. Understand that you weren't there. You don't understand. Mario RPG was a BIG deal. Chrono Trigger was a BIG deal. There were games before, gasp, the Gamecube and the XBOX. Before gaming became the biggest hobby amongst 13-30 year old males. It used to be something that wasn't in the public's eye and there were, in fact, games that made it big BEFORE the existance of giant "hollywood" style titles and huge American developers. Back when Sega and Nintendo duked it out for dominance and Sony was the little engine that could. Why the hell else is Sonic in Smash Bros. Brawl? To appease Sega? Because they're cutting a deal with Sonic Team after Mario and Sonic at the Olympics?

God no. It's because 15 years ago Sonic and Mario were bigger than sliced bread. Because people who are old enough to recall "Sega does what Nintendon't" have been waiting eons for this to happen. It's a nod to the gamers of old, the same people who played Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, Metal Gear (on the NES!), Super Metroid, Kid Icarus, Link to the Past, Sonic 3 and Knuckles... All these CLASSIC games that happened when the biggest fans were still kids. Games that are ingrained in their memories of youth and cheerier days, before they had to grow up and get jobs. If there's anything I love about Smash, it's that I can relive my own memories of waking up to Mario 3 under the tree or getting a Sega Genesis when it was the hottest thing. I don't care what you think about "now," but Mario RPG was significant to ME when it happened. And I'm almost positive it matter to a TON of people who remember it well. Think about where the world of gaming has come from. Think about Game & Watch, the Famicom Disk System, the first Zelda, the Virtual Boy, the Playstation, the massive Squaresoft RPGs BEFORE 3D... There's a whole generation of people who actually would APPRECIATE and ENJOY seeing these things in Smash. Why would Sakurai give them the royal screw just because some of the newer fans or "pop gamers" don't want him to?

There's a reason they make movies like Transformers and Underdog. People LIKE seeing things from their childhood born again. It's a beautiful business practice.
You've just gained a load of respect.
Very nicely put together.

TBone06

Smash Ace
well Geno is popular but he is also unique in that sense so his addition wouldnt be boring

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Does it really matter if he's popular or not?

Sakurai himself said that he doesn't care much for only adding popular characters, seeing as it's a boring roster without surprises. He puts in what he's interested in, and looking at his journal entries, Geno is what he's interested in.

... :) Nice try again.
I'm not against Geno. I just like to state observations when I look at the ongoing argument. :laugh:

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Except that what he said destroys your point.
Mattheiu, you make me lol.

I said it's not for us to state which is more obscure or which is more popular, because it's definently not clear. Both games were played by different gamers, so you definently cannot say X is more popular than X.

Nice try.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Except that what he said destroys your point.
It destroys ALL points. Chrono and Geno are just as significant additions as one another, so it's no different who gets in the game. I am in support of ANY character that makes me feel nostalgic and misty-eyed. Geno, Chrono, friggin' Bionic Commando. I don't care. But it's foolish to think that the game is only going to encompass what people recognize as a character. We know that's not the case in the least.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Lol I'm Machspeed! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try!

But seriously, it destroys your point because he claimed that Crono is iconic, which you just admitted.

TBone06

Smash Ace
but in a sense every video game character is iconic to people, some more htan others, but there will always be people who like different characters

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Lol I'm Machspeed! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try! Nice try!

But seriously, it destroys your point because he claimed that Crono is iconic, which you just admitted.
Wow, GG. Got Mattheiu to start bringing his emotion into the debate. :laugh: No need for that dude.

I said Chrono wasn't a big icon like Mario and Sonic, if you read carefully enough. You claim he's so much more popular than Geno, and blah and SMRPG was obscure compared to it - that kind of thing.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
You're confusing, Machspeed. You say that calling him iconic or popular is foolish. Now you're saying that Crono is an icon, maybe not as big as Mario and Sonic, but an icon nonetheless. You said Geno wasn't popular, but he is. Either way, it's funny, continue:chuckle:

Machspeed

Smash Lord
You're confusing, Machspeed. You say that calling him iconic or popular is foolish. Now you're saying that Crono is an icon, maybe not as big as Mario and Sonic, but an icon nonetheless. You said Geno wasn't popular, but he is. Either way, it's funny, continue:chuckle:
In comparison to Sonic and Mario, yes calling him an icon IS foolish and calling him popular compared to them is foolish also. The same thing goes for Geno.

Could you seriously ask anyone on this board honestly and ask them who Sonic or Mario is and they'd say no?

Now asking someone if they knew who Chrono or Geno was before they entered Smashboards, that's a different story; a good half would say no.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
In comparison to Sonic and Mario, yes calling him an icon IS foolish and calling him popular compared to them is foolish also. The same thing goes for Geno.

Could you seriously ask anyone on this board honestly and ask them who Sonic or Mario is and they'd say no?
Yes I could find someone who says no in a sarcastic way, other than that, no. Anywho
GENO 4 Brawl!

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Great, Mathieu21 is back. Looks like I won't be posting my ideas anytime soon... :(

-Sits in the corner and waits for another stupid argument to end-
That's because it annoys me to see people talking as if Geno was already confirmed. As I said, friendly competition isn't harmful!

TBone06

Smash Ace
but how else are we supposed to talk about him. Geno wont make it but lets make a moveset for him ne ways? We talk like that because if he is in then we have ideas about what he will do

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, I'm not here for a long time. Just a couple of days until my karma isn't negative anymore on Gamefaqs. Karma has to be the stupidest forum system ever. Also, the mods are crappy there. They even banned Gimpyfish.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
but how else are we supposed to talk about him. Geno wont make it but lets make a moveset for him ne ways? We talk like that because if he is in then we have ideas about what he will do
People have done the very same for the likes of Knux, Waluigi, Daisy, and etc. The only thing they can't do is talk as if they're already confirmed.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Mathieu I have a question, what is your personal opinion on Geno and his chances in brawl

and to meta sonic, the difference is, he actually has a decent chance of making it in.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Mathieu I have a question, what is your personal opinion on Geno and his chances in brawl
His chances aren't as high as the majority of the people on this thread think. He will not be playable. I'm thinking he'll be out, but he might be an AT.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
Anyway, I'm not here for a long time. Just a couple of days until my karma isn't negative anymore on Gamefaqs. Karma has to be the stupidest forum system ever. Also, the mods are crappy there. They even banned Gimpyfish.
uhh i'm pretty sure the ban under his name was just his title he chose to put under there... 62 points? :p

TBone06

Smash Ace
His chances aren't as high as the majority of the people on this thread think. He will not be playable. I'm thinking he'll be out, but he might be an AT.
can I get a reason, like I respect your opinion I just want to know why

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master

and to meta sonic, the difference is, he actually has a decent chance of making it in.
So does some other characters, but my point is, you can still discuss characters without talking as if they're already confirmed for the game.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I dont know, maybe it's just wishful thinking for us. But I(and many others on this board) still believe he has a good shot at being playable

Machspeed

Smash Lord
In my opinion, I think Geno's chances are pretty good at this point, all of it's starting to piece together slowly.

- If the Doc's gone, that's two open Mario spots
- The composer of Geno's theme (Forest Maze, the title that was requested in the entry) is working at SSBB (even though she had numerous other works, M&L:SS and SMRPG are the only ones not listed on the site, making me suspicious)
- With the shakiness of Megaman's inclusion, Geno's a pretty high possibility as next third party
- Rumored SMRPG sequel and SMRPG DS
- Sakurai's shown plenty interests in him
- High poll results
- Sakurai hinted when he said, "I consider Geno first party even though he is third party." We've seen him use hints before like (A) Aerial fights will dominate the battle in Brawl - and so a little bit later gliding was confirmed, floatiness of characters increased. (B) Don't throw away your gamecube controllers just yet. (even though this is speculation)

I think he's stands a very strong chance of being a Mario rep.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Because Geno hasn't been around for a long time, and is 15 years younger than another retro character. We might just forget him.
Sure, but look at the positives. He has a lot of great possibilities that would be good in so many games now. Characters can make a comeback can't they?

TBone06

Smash Ace
In my opinion, I think Geno's chances are pretty good at this point, all of it's starting to piece together slowly.

- If the Doc's gone, that's two open Mario spots
- The composer of Geno's theme (Forest Maze, the title that was requested in the entry) is working at SSBB (even though she had numerous other works, M&L:SS and SMRPG are the only ones not listed on the site, making me suspicious)
- With the shakiness of Megaman's inclusion, Geno's a pretty high possibility as next third party
- Rumored SMRPG sequel and SMRPG DS
- Sakurai's shown plenty interests in him
- High poll results
- Sakurai hinted when he said, "I consider Geno first party even though he is third party." We've seen him use hints before like (A) Aerial fights will dominate the battle in Brawl - and so a little bit later gliding was confirmed, floatiness of characters increased. (B) Don't throw away your gamecube controllers just yet. (even though this is speculation)

I think he's stands a very strong chance of being a Mario rep.
I completely agree on this

Sure, but look at the positives. He has a lot of great possibilities that would be good in so many games now. Characters can make a comeback can't they?
exactly, Pit made a comeback, Ice Climbers did in Melee as well as G and W. And Geno has to do with the Mario series

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Not only could this help his comeback, but it could open the door to appearances for Geno in games like Mario Kart Wii, Mario Baseball, and even an RPG sequel. I beleive Geno would've fit perfectly in Galaxy, if it wasn't for the Square-Nintendo dispute.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
I have the right to stay here as long as I don't break any rules. This place is fun. Why shouldn't I stay?

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
The Square-Nintendo dispute has been over for years now. Crappy excuse.
Nonetheless, Geno has missed too many opportunities and to be part of Smash isn't something that comes to a character everyday or everytime a game is in development. This is Geno's perfect opportunity for a comeback and I beleive Sakurai will help start it.

Top Bottom