• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm pretty sure that if Sakurai wants a character in Brawl, then it wouldn't matter how many games it was in or how important they are. As long as Sakurai thinks they're deserving then they'll probably get in. Sakurai said somewhere that he was intrigued by Geno, right?

(...Just trying to help?)

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Hey. Long time since I've been here. I thought I saw something with a SMRPG Sequel? True? And, if so, does this heighten Geno's chances in Brawl?

Burnsro

Smash Cadet
Hey. Long time since I've been here. I thought I saw something with a SMRPG Sequel? True? And, if so, does this heighten Geno's chances in Brawl?
SMRPG sequel is Paper Mario. In other words there is none. Although I would love for someone to prove me wrong. :)

Burnsro

Smash Cadet
I haven't read this entire thread so I'm not sure if this point has been made yet or not. Here are my thoughts on the possibility of Geno making it in Brawl.

Nintendo has created a strong relationship with SEGA. This has gone as far as even including their Mario characters in a primarily SEGA created game, Mario and Sonic in the Olympic Games. Because of this and because of the countless successful Sonic titles available for Nintendo systems Sonic was then announced for Brawl.

From the NES to SNES days Nintendo had created a strong relationship with Squaresoft and Enix. Both of their major RPGs made it exclusively, at the time, on Nintendo systems. It even went as far as letting Squaresoft develop an RPG starring Mario.
In recent years Nintendo and SquareEnix have made up and This has gone as far as Nintendo even letting SquareEnix include their Mario characters in the SquareEnix developed game, Itadaki Street DS which features characters from the Mario and Dragon Quest franchises.

I'm not sure if any other company besides these two have had this kind of relationship with Nintendo. As in putting their characters together in the same game. But I think these parallels indicate that either Geno or a different SquareEnix character, probably Dragon Quest, could make it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I haven't read this entire thread so I'm not sure if this point has been made yet or not. Here are my thoughts on the possibility of Geno making it in Brawl.

Nintendo has created a strong relationship with SEGA. This has gone as far as even including their Mario characters in a primarily SEGA created game, Mario and Sonic in the Olympic Games. Because of this and because of the countless successful Sonic titles available for Nintendo systems Sonic was then announced for Brawl.

From the NES to SNES days Nintendo had created a strong relationship with Squaresoft and Enix. Both of their major RPGs made it exclusively, at the time, on Nintendo systems. It even went as far as letting Squaresoft develop an RPG starring Mario.
In recent years Nintendo and SquareEnix have made up and This has gone as far as Nintendo even letting SquareEnix include their Mario characters in the SquareEnix developed game, Itadaki Street DS which features characters from the Mario and Dragon Quest franchises.

I'm not sure if any other company besides these two have had this kind of relationship with Nintendo. As in putting their characters together in the same game. But I think these parallels indicate that either Geno or a different SquareEnix character, probably Dragon Quest, could make it.
It should also be noted that Nintendo funded the original Final Fantasy, the game that ultimately saved Square Soft from being forced to close down.

Also, Capcom and Nintendo have a pretty strong relationship too seeing how all the handheld Zelda games since 1998 (except Phantom Hourglass I believe) were joint projects between the two companies. They've have yet to have a crossover game though but regardless...

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Hey guys, look at this idiot from Nsider 2.

Here

Oh well, I hope Geno is updated soon, and he needs cooltop tier moves.
Oh god no , all he says is "Geno fails lulz" And that's all greenshadow does also , He says "I hide behind Ben111 And Fatmanonice's back" Lol ? If so then how have i debated with them before ON REPEATED SUBJECTS ? That person is just trying to defend there statements with ridiculous points.

Anyhow i hope for a unique well done moveset for geno , Something that says "I Couldn't have done it better myself" In a way and does pretty well ;) , Hmm we could keep talking about him in the subspace or so ? Not sure ...

Burnsro

Smash Cadet
It should also be noted that Nintendo funded the original Final Fantasy, the game that ultimately saved Square Soft from being forced to close down.
Wrong. Nintendo published the game in the U.S. after the game had already been developed and published in Japan by Squaresoft. So Nintendo didn't fund development, only the localization. And I think that the sales in Japan were enough to save Squaresoft from closure.

Also, Capcom and Nintendo have a pretty strong relationship too seeing how all the handheld Zelda games since 1998 (except Phantom Hourglass I believe) were joint projects between the two companies. They've have yet to have a crossover game though but regardless...
Nintendo also has Hudson(Mario Party), SEGA(F-Zero GX/AX), and Namco(Mario Kart GP) make games for them. So I don't think this is a factor for Megaman being in. But I'm not saying that he won't be in, I'm saying that because of this factor that you're bringing up Hudson(Bomberman) and Namco(Pacman lol?) have an even chance at it along with Capcom.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Wrong. Nintendo published the game in the U.S. after the game had already been developed and published in Japan by Squaresoft. So Nintendo didn't fund development, only the localization. And I think that the sales in Japan were enough to save Squaresoft from closure.

Nintendo also has Hudson(Mario Party), SEGA(F-Zero GX/AX), and Namco(Mario Kart GP) make games for them. So I don't think this is a factor for Megaman being in. But I'm not saying that he won't be in, I'm saying that because of this factor that you're bringing up Hudson(Bomberman) and Namco(Pacman lol?) have an even chance at it along with Capcom.
Also that rumor you're right about it, they are only considering it not making it.

Burnsro

Smash Cadet
Also that rumor you're right about it, they are only considering it not making it.
It's not true at all. They are not considering it. It is a rumor from a French magazine in a section about internet rumors. And it was posted at GoNintendo, a website known for bogus news and has been banned from being discussed at forums such as NeoGAF.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I see... I guess it still counts for something though.

I'm fully aware of those games and I was meerly siting an example. (Heck I even listed all of those games in a previous post.)Of course Bomberman and Pacman (*goes into a fit of laughter and regains his composure*) still have a chance of getting in.

*side note: before anyone flies off the handle, I was laughing at Pac-man, not Bomberman.*

genosall

Smash Journeyman
in your computer waiting for when you get closer t
i dont care if the they are just rumers, i have alredy goten my hopes up, and i belive that they are consitering it and that means that they must have had something to remind them about th game and Geno... lets see... what game has Geno high in demand? hmm... who has nintendo recently gotten to work with and create a lot of games with? ahh... soo confusing.... (i think you get the point :) )

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
i dont care if the they are just rumers, i have alredy goten my hopes up, and i belive that they are consitering it and that means that they must have had something to remind them about th game and Geno... lets see... what game has Geno high in demand? hmm... who has nintendo recently gotten to work with and create a lot of games with? ahh... soo confusing.... (i think you get the point :) )
It may also have something to do with how much demand their has been for a re-release/sequel lately. Heck, in the summer of 06, smrpglegacy.com sent a petition to Nintendo and Square Enix that had over 21,000 names on it and at least Nintendo responded with a "Wow, we're impressed" instead of "Here's a prewritten letter, go die in a fire." :laugh:

Enigma14

Smash Champion
It may also have something to do with how much demand their has been for a re-release/sequel lately. Heck, in the summer of 06, smrpglegacy.com sent a petition to Nintendo and Square Enix that had over 21,000 names on it and at least Nintendo responded with a "Wow, we're impressed" instead of "Here's a prewritten letter, go die in a fire." :laugh:
When did they say this?

Also how come the haters hate Geno? Why don't they research on a chracter?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
When did they say this?

Also how come the haters hate Geno? Why don't they research on a chracter?
Hmm they just don't now his awsomeness :laugh:, You should have seen it earlier when Fatmanonice ownt someone earlier who said that bowser jr is better than geno for the slot :ohwell: , That was ha-flipping-arious , He totally ownt the guy , Then on another thread he said "All you do TK Is just bring out arguements that fatmanonice and ben111 use" And i just said "All that shows is that you have a mental force-field of stupidity who can't fight back my comments" :laugh: , Most are just pretty dumb and ignorant , Some just don't like the idea and don't mind it , Some are just crazy.

Anyhow i REALLY Hope geno get's in :)...:).

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Hmm they just don't now his awsomeness :laugh:, You should have seen it earlier when Fatmanonice ownt someone earlier who said that bowser jr is better than geno for the slot :ohwell: , That was ha-flipping-arious , He totally ownt the guy , Then on another thread he said "All you do TK Is just bring out arguements that fatmanonice and ben111 use" And i just said "All that shows is that you have a mental force-field of stupidity who can't fight back my comments" :laugh: , Most are just pretty dumb and ignorant , Some just don't like the idea and don't mind it , Some are just crazy.

Anyhow i REALLY Hope geno get's in :)...:).
I mean I understand if they hate him if he looks stupid or hate dolls but seriously when has looks ever been a problem in games?

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Anyways guys, I have some Geno related art to share.

If any reads SparkOfShadow's Square limbo, they'll get it

Here

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
Looking at today's update, it looks like there's a good chance that Geno will be included in the game, but with a good chance at being an AT rather than a PC. Wouldn't be too terrible, really, especially if there's a budget to how many third parties are allowed as PC and Geno constitutes as one of those third parties.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Looking at today's update, it looks like there's a good chance that Geno will be included in the game, but with a good chance at being an AT rather than a PC. Wouldn't be too terrible, really, especially if there's a budget to how many third parties are allowed as PC and Geno constitutes as one of those third parties.
Well, I wouldn't bet on that...

And Saki didn't exactly get Sakurai's interest OR mentions in his journal, like Geno did

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
i initially thought this too, but geno's chances of being AT'd were far smaller than Sakis.

In my opinion Geno will be the retro/WTF character in brawl. Not in the sense that hes quirky like G&W was, but that he is a cool retro character that not too many people outside of gaming know about

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
i initially thought this too, but geno's chances of being AT'd were far smaller than Sakis.

In my opinion Geno will be the retro/WTF character in brawl. Not in the sense that hes quirky like G&W was, but that he is a cool retro character that not too many people outside of gaming know about
That could change with SMRPG being the most requested VC title out there. Which is funny...because Geno will in all likelyhood gain more popularity in the Wii era than he did in the Snes.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
That could change with SMRPG being the most requested VC title out there. Which is funny...because Geno will in all likelyhood gain more popularity in the Wii era than he did in the Snes.
and when sakurai updates geno as a pc he can plug the game like he did with sin and punishment lol

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
How? What does Saki have to do with Geno?
It's just that basically everything that Geno seems to have going for and against him, Saki also has. Sakurai said that Saki was a popular character amongst fans and felt that he should include him because of this, but he's a more obscure character from a single-release game.

I'm not saying it's a deconfirmation at all, but it certainly does show that Geno isn't as much of a shoe-in as some have been implying on this thread.

Hong

The Strongest
It's just that basically everything that Geno seems to have going for and against him, Saki also has. Sakurai said that Saki was a popular character amongst fans and felt that he should include him because of this, but he's a more obscure character from a single-release game.

I'm not saying it's a deconfirmation at all, but it certainly does show that Geno isn't as much of a shoe-in as some have been implying on this thread.
I think they didn't opt for Saki because they didn't want another blade wielder with projectiles. Those are the hardest characters to balance and assuming someone with a better reputation like Cel-Shaded Link or Takamaru is going to be in, we're running out of ways to balance these characters. Heck, even Ganondorf could be using magic projectiles.

I think the chances are entirely irrelevant.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
I admit, I'm a bit uneasy about today's update. Yoko Shimomura's participation in Brawl is really giving me hope. Super Mario RPG seems like the only relevant game she could have composed music for and due to Geno's overwhelming popularity among the fans, I think Sakurai approached her and said: "we need you to compose your favorite song from Super Mario RPG for Geno's stage".

About the assist trophy today though, it seems as if that character didn't really have a lot going for him anyways. If its from a first person shooter, I could imagine it being a bit difficult to actually make moves for him. I think its the way Sakurai worded his post (which is often confusing) that makes me feel that Geno's possibility of becoming an assist trophy, if nothing else, is kind of elevated. I won't give up hope though, in fact I probably won't buy the game if Geno is an assist trophy. The most heartbreaking/insulting thing Sakurai could ever do to us die hard Geno fans is make him something other than a playable character.

Well guys, there's always tomorrow's update....right...?

Pieman0920

Smash Master
What are you trying to convince people of, that YOUR opinion is right and theirs is wrong?

Of course that's an impossible thing to do!

Your NEVER going to convince ANYONE that Geno will not be into the game, that's like trying to convince R.I.D.L.E.Y. that Ridley is not going to be in the game.

YOu have to admit, Geno DOES have a decent shot at Brawl though...there IS evidence of that.
Everything said though wasn't an opinion. Geno really does have that low status.

And Geno doesn't have a decent shot, which is why I'm annoyed with this thread. You all can cling to hope, I don't mind that, but the arrogance and blinded certainty in the face of overwhelming odds is what's annoying. The Ridley fans have the right to be arrogantly hopeful, because although he's not confirmed, he's highly likely with no multiple crippling flaws. There's no real evidence that Geno has a better shot than any other one shot third party character.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Saki was from a Japanese title remember what Sakurai said about Japanese chracters only? Lucas was an exception because he had a biased for him <.<

If todays update lowered anyone chances it would be a character who uses a sword and a gun...Claus.

Also most of the ATs use swords so think about it.

Top Bottom