• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
well in other mario rpg sequals (paper mario series) no partner from one game appeared in the next (except parrakarry, hes the mailman after all) so even if there was a sequal i dont think geno would be making a appearence.
Yea, but Paper Mario isn't much of a direct sequel to SMRPG.

Copperpot, did you get my PM?

Enigma14

Smash Champion
well in other mario rpg sequals (paper mario series) no partner from one game appeared in the next (except parrakarry, hes the mailman after all) so even if there was a sequal i dont think geno would be making a appearence.
Don't forget Bow as well at the end PM:TTYD, Fawful and Geno in the Mario bros games.

Mario's mission.

After attempting to save Princess Toadstool from Bowser, Mario gets flung from Bowser's Castle and crash-lands in his house. After venturing back to Bowser's Castle, Mario finds the giant sword Exor lodged in the roof of it. Learning that his world is being invaded by the Smithy Gang, Mario is forced to retreat to his house after Exor destroys the only bridge to Bowser's Keep.

1. Mario was asked by others to save their world, get Bowser's keep back, save the Peach and help Mallow

2. In order to get Bowser's keep back they had to beat smithy.

Geno's mission.

An otherworldly traveler sent by a higher authority, whose real name is ♥♪!?, comes to Mario's world from Star Road to find the seven Star Pieces. Borrowing the form of Gaz's doll, Geno, a beam of light radiates from it bringing it to life, and he sets off searching for the Star Pieces. Since his name is hard to pronounce, he asks Mario and Mallow to call him "Geno", after the doll.[4] [5]

Encountering Mario and Mallow during his battle with Bowyer, Geno gladly accepts their help in battle. Defeating Bowyer, Geno explains to Mario and Mallow about his mission to find the Star Pieces and repair Star Road. Geno decides to travel with them to find the Star Pieces. Throughout the game, Geno offers advice to the party as a mystical sage-type figure. After destroying Smithy and reclaiming all seven Star Pieces, again a beam of light radiates from Geno, rendering the doll lifeless, and the otherworldly traveler bids farewell to his allies in order to repair Star Road.

1. HAd to get the star pieces back

2. Had to beat Smithy for the last piece.

So all 5 characters are the main characters.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Don't forget Bow as well at the end PM:TTYD, Fawful and Geno in the Mario bros games.

Mario's mission.

After attempting to save Princess Toadstool from Bowser, Mario gets flung from Bowser's Castle and crash-lands in his house. After venturing back to Bowser's Castle, Mario finds the giant sword Exor lodged in the roof of it. Learning that his world is being invaded by the Smithy Gang, Mario is forced to retreat to his house after Exor destroys the only bridge to Bowser's Keep.

1. Mario was asked by others to save their world, get Bowser's keep back, save the Peach and help Mallow

2. In order to get Bowser's keep back they had to beat smithy.

Geno's mission.

An otherworldly traveler sent by a higher authority, whose real name is ♥♪!?, comes to Mario's world from Star Road to find the seven Star Pieces. Borrowing the form of Gaz's doll, Geno, a beam of light radiates from it bringing it to life, and he sets off searching for the Star Pieces. Since his name is hard to pronounce, he asks Mario and Mallow to call him "Geno", after the doll.[4] [5]

Encountering Mario and Mallow during his battle with Bowyer, Geno gladly accepts their help in battle. Defeating Bowyer, Geno explains to Mario and Mallow about his mission to find the Star Pieces and repair Star Road. Geno decides to travel with them to find the Star Pieces. Throughout the game, Geno offers advice to the party as a mystical sage-type figure. After destroying Smithy and reclaiming all seven Star Pieces, again a beam of light radiates from Geno, rendering the doll lifeless, and the otherworldly traveler bids farewell to his allies in order to repair Star Road.

1. HAd to get the star pieces back

2. Had to beat Smithy for the last piece.

So all 5 characters are the main characters.
Anyone who still says Geno is a secondary-supporting character is mistaken.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
What you say is true to an extent, but, in this remote example, Geno's importance is balanced with characters sporting names like Mario, Peach, and Bowser. Not only that, but he surpasses their importance. The plight of that game could not have been resolved without Geno, but Mario could have gotten by without picking up Mallow, Peach, or Bowser.

I understand that my argument only plays into the storyline aspect of his situation, but, because of the legal issues surrounding him and his ownership, Geno couldn't have played an integral role in the Mario franchise without Nintendo either buying the character or paying royalties each time they wanted to use him.

Besides, I think Mario RPG ends on a note that does a fine job of explaining Geno's absense. It's sort of like an "I'll be back. I can't say when or why, but I'll be back."

The fact that the game's story couldn't be completed without him means jack. You couldn't complete the Pokemon without Professor Oak, bu the's not going to show up. Or how about Twink from Paper Mario? Or that new princess in SMG? Do you think she'll show up again?

The excuse that he was important to the story doesn't mean anything as far getting in Brawl is concerned.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Really? makes me wonder how characters like Falco got into Smash.
Falco isn't a good example to try to counter me with, since he's a clone, and thus a rushed in character to expand the roster. Even so, he at least had importance in multiple games as opposed to one. (And even so, Falco also doesn't have nearly the amount of flaws that Geno has)

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Falco isn't a good example to try to counter me with, since he's a clone, and thus a rushed in character to expand the roster. Even so, he at least had importance in multiple games as opposed to one. (And even so, Falco also doesn't have nearly the amount of flaws that Geno has)

Flaws? Please, explain some, of these flaws that he has over falco. The fact that he's one of the most original characters that could be in Smash?

paralasalud

Smash Ace
The fact that the game's story couldn't be completed without him means jack. You couldn't complete the Pokemon without Professor Oak, bu the's not going to show up. Or how about Twink from Paper Mario? Or that new princess in SMG? Do you think she'll show up again?

The excuse that he was important to the story doesn't mean anything as far getting in Brawl is concerned.
he was important to the story enough to be playable unlike all the examples you mentioned :p
tink was technically playable but didn't have a moveset like geno. none of those examples have movesets.
also, the whole star thing getting stronger with wishes originated from smrpg.

STAR COLLECTING in general came from SMRPG.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I've been over the flaws more than once now, so I don't see why I have to explain them again. But still...He's not important overall to his series. His one game? Sure he's important. His one cameo? Not really. Over all? Same as Twink. He may have more moveset pottential, but the fact that he's so low on the scale in his own series defeats that point.Also he's still third party from a company that has much more profitable characters it could give. =/

Thus it sums up to the fact that he's not important to his series, and owned by a different company with better to offer.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
A sequel to Mario RPG? If it happens count me in on getting a DS (AGAIN). Nintendo just better have released the original on the VC before the sequel if this is true.

Also Geno 4 Brawl.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've been over the flaws more than once now, so I don't see why I have to explain them again. But still...He's not important overall to his series. His one game? Sure he's important. His one cameo? Not really. Over all? Same as Twink. He may have more moveset pottential, but the fact that he's so low on the scale in his own series defeats that point.Also he's still third party from a company that has much more profitable characters it could give. =/

Thus it sums up to the fact that he's not important to his series, and owned by a different company with better to offer.
That's mostly just your opinion...

and frankly, I never cared how important he was...He seems to be important enough to gain a vast fallowing...so I think that alone is enough

Enigma14

Smash Champion

Moveset potential? Geno has a fricken moveset for him.

Id like to point out that he's not technically third party hes more second because Nintendo can only use him.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord

But he's incredibly popular for a great selling game. Jigglyuff was a nobody, but was very popular in Japan when SSB was released. Geno is popular all over the world.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
That's mostly just your opinion...

and frankly, I never cared how important he was...He seems to be important enough to gain a vast fallowing...so I think that alone is enough
Popularity isnt enough, Sakurai doesnt like popular characters. Geno is obscure enough for sakurai to get intrested in.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
Yes it is. According to you a character being important to the story isn't good enough for him to get in. Yet Falco is in it, why? Because he was important to the story and popular. If they had to rush it, why not put in Peppy or Slippy?

Ice Climbers were also important characters in only one game, and guess what? They're back in brawl again. You're argument doesn't work.

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace

Lucas is one game. He's in Brawl.

SHEIK! was in one game. He/She is in Brawl (confirmed by picture work thingy in some magazine article).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
*busts through the wall like the Kool-Aid man*

*puff, puff*

Guys, I don't know if you guys have heard this yet but Go Nintendo has presented a rumor that their may be a true sequel to Super Mario RPG in the works. If this is true, this boosts Geno's chances even more especially with the original Fire Emblem being recreated for the DS in order to finally bring Marth to North America and SMRPG being planned for the VC. This could very well be the news that we've all been waiting for but we'll have to wait until things further develop...

Here's the article by the way.

*goes back to acting like the old gardener in Rose Town*

Copperpot

Smash Ace

You keep saying Geno's "series", as if Paper Mario really has anything to do with the events in Super Mario RPG. Newsflash: They aren't connected.

Onto your point about Professor Oak and 'Generic Nintendo Character #389', you thought my point about Geno's importance as a story element was irrelevant? Way to bring in characters that:

1) Are not playable.

2) Offer absolutely no character development.

3) Do nothing to progress their respective game past their (very, very short) appearance.

4) Are not completely essential to the plot of their respective game. For example: Red did not need Professor Oak to give him a Pokedex (or a pokemon, for that matter). There are several trainers in the pokemon universe that made it somewhere without said help. He merely provided something for the player to 'toy' with, a gimmick, if you will.

5) Aren't even in the running for a spot in Brawl.

To put in short, you're throwing Geno into the wrong boat. Sure, he's owned by Square, and I can definately see that preventing him from getting in (and I think you're also taking this aspect in a completely obscure fashion, but that's a separate issue).

I guess the point in which our paths diverge is where we see representation for Super Mario RPG. Most people see Mario as the poster boy for the game. He's not.

Many people want to see this game represented in Brawl, and Geno is the face of Mario RPG.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

*puff, puff*

Guys, I don't know if you guys have heard this yet but Go Nintendo has presented a rumor that their may be a true sequel to Super Mario RPG in the works. If this is true, this boosts Geno's chances even more especially with the original Fire Emblem being recreated for the DS in order to finally bring Marth to North America and SMRPG being planned for the VC. This could very well be the news that we've all been waiting for but we'll have to wait until things further develop...

Yes, but that might have only helped his chances if they announced or figured that out earlier in the Smash Bros development. I sure it does though

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

*puff, puff*

We've already heard lulz fatmanonice , Look at the previous pages :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:.
Anyhow your post on bowser jr wins ... HARD.
I Really hope geno is in now , I'm hoping pretty high for him ;) Now his chances have gone up quite a bit :).

SiD

Smash Master
Yes, but that might have only helped his chances if they announced or figured that out earlier in the Smash Bros development. I sure it does though
Well maybe they saw how popular he was with Smash fans, and saw that Sakurai was putting him in, so they saw a great oppurtunity.

I hope?

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
You keep saying Geno's "series", as if Paper Mario really has anything to do with the events in Super Mario RPG. Newsflash: They aren't connected.

Onto your point about Professor Oak and 'Generic Nintendo Character #389', you thought my point about Geno's importance as a story element was irrelevant? Way to bring in characters that:

1) Are not playable.
twink was in part of the final fight, and he did have a move

2) Offer absolutely no character development.
rosalina gets some development throughout mario galaxy

3) Do nothing to progress their respective game past their (very, very short) appearance.
see rosalina and twink

4) Are not completely essential to the plot of their respective game. For example: Red did not need Professor Oak to give him a Pokedex (or a pokemon, for that matter). There are several trainers in the pokemon universe that made it somewhere without said help. He merely provided something for the player to 'toy' with, a gimmick, if you will.
rosalina is self explanitory and twink tells mario where to go next after he finds each star

5) Aren't even in the running for a spot in Brawl.
agreed

To put in short, you're throwing Geno into the wrong boat. Sure, he's owned by Square, and I can definately see that preventing him from getting in (and I think you're also taking this aspect in a completely obscure fashion, but that's a separate issue).

I guess the point in which our paths diverge is where we see representation for Super Mario RPG. Most people see Mario as the poster boy for the game. He's not.
this is straight up opinion, i personally think that the title character is in fact the poster boy for their game
Many people want to see this game represented in Brawl, and Geno is the face of Mario RPG.
see bold stuff

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, the Fire Emblem game remake was only announced last month and games are usually in development for at least a year before their offically announced. If this rumor proves to be true, I wouldn't be at all suprised if the game appeared at E3 08.

A side note: I think the Golden Sun rumor checks out simply because Camelot has been talking about making an RPG for the Wii since even before the Wii came out.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I fear I am getting nowhere with you people, since you keep on coming up with exceptions that only apply to one flaw Geno has, instead of all of them combined. Ice Climbers were in one game, but they were the star, and not third party. Same with Lucas. Falco was a clone character added simply to expand the roster, but at least he had more than one game under his belt, and wasn't a third party character. (And he is third party no matter how you spin it)

It's just that he's got all these things combined, instead of seperate.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Wow, people are using terible examples. By some of these arguments, Bowser, Peach, Luigi, Ganondorf, King Dedede, and other shouldn't even belong in Brawl....

I'm disregarding Captain Flacon Master's post that deals with newcomers after seeing #9, 10 in his sig.

These examples can be made ot nearly every single character in the Nintendo universe, but the point is, Geno was the #2 character,playable, had a big thing with character development and played the biggest role in the story. He also has a great moveset and is incredebly popular. He's got a chance, get over it Geno Haters.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I fear I am getting nowhere with you people, since you keep on coming up with exceptions that only apply to one flaw Geno has, instead of all of them combined. Ice Climbers were in one game, but they were the star, and not third party. Same with Lucas. Falco was a clone character added simply to expand the roster, but at least he had more than one game under his belt, and wasn't a third party character. (And he is third party no matter how you spin it)

It's just that he's got all these things combined, instead of seperate.

What are you trying to convince people of, that YOUR opinion is right and theirs is wrong?

Of course that's an impossible thing to do!

Your NEVER going to convince ANYONE that Geno will not be into the game, that's like trying to convince R.I.D.L.E.Y. that Ridley is not going to be in the game.

YOu have to admit, Geno DOES have a decent shot at Brawl though...there IS evidence of that.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
wow disregarde some good points just because i have characters in my sig that you disagree with. I think thats just plain stupid this is why i am against geno in brawl because of the overall a$$holeness of many of his fans im done arguing with you guys and your thick skulls. There are far far far more reasons why he wont be in brawl then why he should. your reasons are "hes popular and uhh we really like him soooo geno 4 the brawlz"

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I was joking, because the next sentences were mostly in response to your post. But, explain what are these things that are against him? Because he has every thing going for him that would make him be in Brawl.

Top Bottom