• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
alright I'll let you in on my dream week

day 1) Geno announced and a video about him joining the brawl. (much like Sonic's)
day 2) Geno final smash
day 3) Geno b moves
day 4) Geno maze shown as stage with the Geno maze music
day 5) Exor as assist trophy (where he strikes down the middle of the stage like he did in Bowser's keep
I like your Exor AT idea. That's one of the SMRPG possible AT's that I've never thought about before.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

Sorry that our response was not clear. The characters in the Super Smash Bros game are not all the property of Nintendo. They generally remain the property of the company that originally created them.

with this said, I don't think it matters what party Geno is.
Doesn't explain Dixie

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
No. Donkey Kong was originally created by Shigeru Miyamoto. The only reason you are thinking he is owned by Rare is because of one Donkey Kong game, and at the time Rare was 2nd Party. Legally, all of Donkey Kong's characters belong to Nintendo.

Sinn

Smash Lord
No. Donkey Kong was originally created by Shigeru Miyamoto. The only reason you are thinking he is owned by Rare is because of one Donkey Kong game, and at the time Rare was 2nd Party. Legally, all of Donkey Kong's characters belong to Nintendo.
In all honesty, I doubt the situations are different enough to be different cases. Fact of the matter is that two companies, neither of which being Nintendo, took a Nintendo franchise and made a game, creating their own characters along the way for them. So by this reasoning, means either:

A) Aside from DK himself, which is copyright of Nintendo, all of the other characters in the franchise are intellectual property of Rare, and the same would hold true for Square and Geno regarding Mario RPG...OR

B) Nintendo MUST own the rights to Geno because of his creation for a Mario game, as all of the Rare created DK characters are due to them being created for a Donkey Kong game.

I see the answer as being B. Consider this: even the current DK model isn't (or at least WASN'T) a copyright of Nintendo since back when Mario Kart 64 came out, they had to give credit to Rare for that). They owned the character, but not THAT design of the character.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
But they STILL had to give credit to Square for Geno's cameo in Superstar Saga.

My estimation? Not grabbing the rights to SMRPG's characters when Square and Nintendo split was a BIG mistake on Nintendo's part. That's why later, when Rare split, they remembered what happened, and took the characters back as part of the deal.

And while they may have learned from Geno, that still leaves Geno to attain.

Seriously - if Geno isn't in the game, Square will clearly be the ones to blame.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
But they STILL had to give credit to Square for Geno's cameo in Superstar Saga.

My estimation? Not grabbing the rights to SMRPG's characters when Square and Nintendo split was a BIG mistake on Nintendo's part. That's why later, when Rare split, they remembered what happened, and took the characters back as part of the deal.

And while they may have learned from Geno, that still leaves Geno to attain.

Seriously - if Geno isn't in the game, Square will clearly be the ones to blame.

good points, I agree.

Fortunately the two companies seem to be in much better terms these days, especially with composers from square working on this game (though I'm not sure if those composers are employed by square or if they are independent).

I guess the question is how much is Nintendo willing to give to get Geno back?

Another interesting thought is: "can square afford to "be a jerk" and keep Geno away from Nintendo?" What I mean by this is, with Nintendo's current leading position in the industry, can square afford to hold out on them? Perhaps square would let Geno be in ssbb to further good relations with Nintendo? It seems that holding out on the predominant company wouldn't be good for their business. Then again I really don't know jack about this stuff, just some thoughts :p.

And I wonder if Nintendo would "borrow" Geno for Brawl or outright "buy" him? Hopefully the latter :p

And of course all of this assumes that Nintendo is actually looking into this stuff, though in light of everything it seems likely.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Hopefully all Nintendo has to do is just make note of Square in the credits - and that's all they'd have to do.

Problem with THAT is, if that's the case, then he'd be more possible to be an AT.

Skylan

Smash Apprentice
Dont even say that, the thought just kills me lol. An assist trophy would be cool, but we're all hoping for playable lol.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If they could add him without a problem, why the hell would they make him an AT...

He has plenty of good movesets, very unique and was voted VERY popular on Japanese fan sites and got high on the poll

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Yes, I realize that but that's my point - if Square owns him, and Sakurai goes through the trouble of getting him, then he'd be more or less guaranteed playable - but if there's no trouble to use him whatsoever, then Sakurai could just as well add him as an AT just to appease people.

Then again, I suppose that also depends on how much Sakurai wants to make Geno playable.

Skylan

Smash Apprentice
I see the point youre trying to make. If Nintendo needed Squares permission to use Geno then they wouldnt waste time making him an assist trophy since they went through all the trouble. So you think that if they can just give credit and have this thing go off without a hitch that he will just be an AT? It seems likely however I believe that the fans are speaking loudly enough for him to actually be playable. Hes got good movesets and if they were going to design him for the game anyway why not be playable? lol.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
I know I might get killed for this but, there is a third possibility. what if they turned geno into a assistant for you in the subspace emmisary? kinda like when you fight giant DK in the first smash brothers. the thing is though is that he helps you all the way through. and never is playable, just throwing that out there. even I think that would be a waist of a perfectly good character.

RDK

Smash Hero
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down.

Whoever thinks Donkey Kong is owned by Rare is sadly and grievously mistaken.

Rare is owned by Microsoft. Donkey Kong is owned by Nintendo. Rare was only involved in a few DK games. By NO means does Rare own Donkey Kong.

B) Nintendo MUST own the rights to Geno because of his creation for a Mario game, as all of the Rare created DK characters are due to them being created for a Donkey Kong game.
Nintendo doesn't own the rights to Geno. Square Enix does. I'd post a link, but I'm a little lazy right now.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I know I might get killed for this but, there is a third possibility. what if they turned geno into a assistant for you in the subspace emmisary? kinda like when you fight giant DK in the first smash brothers. the thing is though is that he helps you all the way through. and never is playable, just throwing that out there. even I think that would be a waist of a perfectly good character.
If he's in, he's NOT going to be an assisst trophy...

The #1 vote on Japanese fan polls and tied for second on Sakurai's "poll" is NOT going to be an AT...

Why don't we have Ridley and Megaman as AT's while we're at Geno being one

Enigma14

Smash Champion

The #1 vote on Japanese fan polls and tied for second on Sakurai's "poll" is NOT going to be an AT...

Hell no. I don't like Mega, hes third party so either hes either in or out not a AT.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion

1.howd you get assist trophy out of what I said? I said an assistant like a sort of partner controled by AI while you went through the subspace emmisary.
2.I said it would be a waste of acharacter if they did that.
3.it would be ****ing stupid to pay for rights to a third party character and make them a assist trophy.
4.Ridley is the most required and logical metroid second rep, and metroid has been deserving a second rep for a long time.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
1.howd you get assist trophy out of what I said? I said an assistant like a sort of partner controled by AI while you went through the subspace emmisary.
2.I said it would be a waste of acharacter if they did that.
3.it would be ****ing stupid to pay for rights to a third party character and make them a assist trophy.
4.Ridley is the most required and logical metroid second rep, and metroid has been deserving a second rep for a long time.
If I quoted the wrong person, my bad

that last part of mine was sarcastic anyway which no one seemed to get

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
well we cant hear what you say, so sarcasm code helps. other wise, it looks like you are serious.
Bleh, I just assumed people could've figure that out because I'm in the RMB and a regular in the Ridley thread...Plus they are in my sig

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
Bleh, I just assumed people could've figure that out because I'm in the RMB and a regular in the Ridley thread...Plus they are in my sig
eh, I have seen stuff like that, some poeple will condem one or two of their supported characters all for something that offended their favorite. that is why some people cant tell for sure, so sarcasm code or giving us something to go on prevents this.

RDK

Smash Hero
You'd be surprised how many people are stupid enough NOT to be joking when they have those same characters in their sig.

Luke Groundwalker hates Ness, and yet he has him as his avatar.

I rest my case.

RDK

Smash Hero
Metroid doesn't really focus on characters; that's why they only technically have one rep.
.....you're joking, right? *FACEDESK*

Okay, Sakurai.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
I can't see Geno being an AT. That'd be like dangling a piece of chocolate cake in front of a fat kid.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
.....you're joking, right? *FACEDESK*

Okay, Sakurai.

no, I'm not joking. all you have are Samus, Dark Samus, and Ridley that could potentially be playable.

well, Dark Samus is virtually Samus and Ridley's... is Ridley.

most of the other series have multiple characters. saying "Metroid deserves more reps!" doesn't mean squat to me because the characterization in the game is just.. so incredibly little.

RDK

Smash Hero
most of the other series have multiple characters. saying "Metroid deserves more reps!" doesn't mean squat to me because the characterization in the game is just.. so incredibly little.
Saying that Metroid should get NO new reps makes even less sense. Ridley is the only good choice for a Metroid rep. Therefore, IMO, he has the best chances out of all of the supported characters at getting in.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
Saying that Metroid should get NO new reps makes even less sense. Ridley is the only good choice for a Metroid rep. Therefore, IMO, he has the best chances out of all of the supported characters at getting in.
when I said that getting new reps didn't mean squat to me, I meant it as people who think Metroid DESERVES to get new reps.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
I cant beleive you are actualy saying the things you are. metroid series is one of nintendo's main game lines. Rildey is samus's arch nemisis
he freaking killed her family and is the reason samus became a bounty hunter
. saying Ridley is not a choice for metroid is like saying bowser is a bad mario rep. if any one was going to be a second metroid rep it would be the one character who has appeared in most if not all metroid games.plus he would add some flavor as to new fighting styles for this game.

Top Bottom