• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If Nintendo asks Square for Geno, (which they most likely have, because he's one of the second most requested characters) Square isn't going to say "No, take this instead." Besides, I think Square already said they wouldn't have any Final Fantasy characters in Brawl because they have such a vast amount of characters.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Square would hold Geno back, period.

As for there being too many characters from Final Fantasy, that's sort of reaches the balonga point. Sonic Team has bunch of characters, Konami has a bunch of characters, they just chose to use the bread and butter of their company. Square doesn't have to chose a character like Cloud, a Black Mage says more than enough about Square-Enix.

I remember now. At the S/E convention where they had their stuff playable like FF13. They announced that FF wouldn't be a suggested choice for Brawl, but they would use something stupid like Romance Dawn.
FFXIII has never been playable. Square has done an impecable job at keeping it under wraps. >:

Nothing offensive, but I want to read a source report for that.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
FFXIII has never been playable. Square has done an impecable job at keeping it under wraps. >:

Nothing offensive, but I want to read a source report for that.
Again I just remember reading somewhere that had to do with Square, nothing specific like a site.

Also Oasis_s thats another good point.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
There must be some sort of cited source for that claim though. It would also be circulating this forum as well as in Wikipedia's "inclusionof characters" article in it's SSBB page.

And I updated my previous post about Oasis S's comment.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ah! Sakurai needs to reveal Geno soon to end this seemingly eternal bickering about policies and business perspectives of Square and Nintendo even though it is all based on assumptions...

Enigma14

Smash Champion
However is Geno were not to appear we would all know who owns him then, wouldn't we?

Nintendo has to ask permission to use Geno right? OR did those 3 game developers involved with with M&L:SS at the time insert him simply because they work with S/E?

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Geno's confirmation isn't going to stop Fantasy fans from wanting their share of the cake.

Anywhoo, I had an epiphany the other day, and thought that Geno's movement and abilities would be like Astro Boy's.

Edit: Enigma's Post Reference
That's sort of besides the point though. Sadly, Square indefnately owns Geno. No doubt about that.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno's confirmation isn't going to stop Fantasy fans from wanting their share of the cake.

Anywhoo, I had an epiphany the other day, and thought that Geno's movement and abilities would be like Astro Boy's.
There was a perfect description of how Geno's moveset should be, though the moveset they put wasn't the best in one of the threads...

By Venus of the Bloom or something along those lines

Snakz

Smash Ace
Seriously, cant we just get some game character company lawyer in here to clarify all this??

Yea same here Psycho, it's the only reason i want Geno revealed as soon as possible so that all the debate about whether his inclusion is 3rd party or not can end and we can just enjoy him being in.

Of course i'd love to bash the haters ASAP as well

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
Hater bashing ftw! Like seriously. The day he's confirmed it's off to the GameFAQs boards to most likely get banned by bashing all the non-believers / haters. I've taken too much ignorance from them. It's on when he's revealed.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hater bashing ftw! Like seriously. The day he's confirmed it's off to the GameFAQs boards to most likely get banned by bashing all the non-believers / haters. I've taken too much ignorance from them. It's on when he's revealed.
A simple message with the title :chuckle: and a picture of Geno's official render sent to the haters or as a thread is enough for me...

Simplistic satisfaction

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
The end of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga states:

All Rights, including the copyrights of Game, Scenario, Music, and Progam, reserved by NINTENDO. Regardless of the above-mentioned, the copyright of Character "Geno", reserved by SQUARE ENIX. CO., LTD.
Link located here. <<Click on "here".

Spoiler warning; caution, link is a YouTube video of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga's ending. Viewer's discretion advised. The frame is located at 3:43.

I don't know what other evidence you guys need to see that states that Geno is Square's. The question is though, if Sakurai would consider him in his mind's eye a true third-party character.

Enigma14

Smash Champion

Spoiler warning; caution, link is a YouTube video of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga's ending. Viewer's discretion advised. The frame is located at 3:43.

I don't know what other evidence you guys need to see that states that Geno is Square's. The question is though, if Sakurai would consider him in his mind's eye a true third-party character.
Posted the pic 2 pages back.

Earth day is Thursday or this week lets hope for a woodn doll related update!

Snakz

Smash Ace

Look, here's something to think about

Why would Nintendo bother paying for Geno's use in M&L: SSS, a game that has nothing to do with Square besides Geno himself?

Honestly, they wouldn't bother paying for him, considering the very very small appearance he had. If they would have to pay, they'd just make up a character to take his place, so that begs the question, what exactly did Nintendo go through to put Geno in that game?

Just further evidence that Nintendo just needs to mention Geno as property of Square

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo obviously bought Geno OR he's free. It's the only logical explanation for putting him in M&L. They could of just used Toadette for that minigame.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Look, here's something to think about

Why would Nintendo bother paying for Geno's use in M&L: SSS, a game that has nothing to do with Square besides Geno himself?

Honestly, they wouldn't bother paying for him, considering the very very small appearance he had. If they would have to pay, they'd just make up a character to take his place, so that begs the question, what exactly did Nintendo go through to put Geno in that game?

Just further evidence that Nintendo just needs to mention Geno as property of Square
Why pay for a cameo? It's like paying a 3rd party company just to show up as a AT. It doesn't make sense, so its either hes in or not.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Nintendo obviously bought Geno OR he's free. It's the only logical explanation for putting him in M&L. They could of just used Toadette for that minigame.
Now THAT'S the kind of thinking I like! Clever insight, Mr. Man. ^_^

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Double Post! WHOOOOO!!!

Now that I think about it, he MIGHT be revealed next Monday. Mario Galaxy and all that.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Because the world has people like us and fan service.

Well if you consider the first statement in this quote, you have to question yourself as a fan. Geno is irriplacable. That, and he has a big fanbase-- and of course Nintendo needs to mention he's Square's property. We've established that already.

What some of use are hoping for is that Sakurai doesn't consider him third-party, the fact being that Geno is a Square character based in Nintendo's universe. He is a doll that gets posessed by a star being, and star beings are Nintendo. The character "Geno" is Square's. So Square can't really do much but charge royalties for his apperances.

The cost should be low if any at all, because it's not like Square can make use of him in their own franchises.

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
Double Post! WHOOOOO!!!

Now that I think about it, he MIGHT be revealed next Monday. Mario Galaxy and all that.
Do you think Geno could pop up in Mario Galaxy? As a cameo or part of the story? Mario crashes into Star Road and sees Geno. Iunno just a thought.

Snakz

Smash Ace
Because the world has people like us and fan service.

Well if you consider the first statement in this quote, you have to question yourself as a fan. Geno is irriplacable. That, and he has a big fanbase-- and of course Nintendo needs to mention he's Square's property. We've established that already.

What some of use are hoping for is that Sakurai doesn't consider him third-party, the fact being that Geno is a Square character based in Nintendo's universe. He is a doll that gets posessed by a star being, and star beings are Nintendo. The character "Geno" is Square's. So Square can't really do much but charge royalties for his apperances.

The cost should be low if any at all, because it's not like Square can make use of him in their own franchises.
I wouldn't be questioning my love for Geno if i were you :p

First off, Geno has a very large fan base, true, but considering Nintendo hasn't bothered to make a true sequel to SMRPG, and Square hasn't used Geno AT ALL (though he does belong in the Mario universe so i can see why they dont), they've kinda ignored us for the most part, dont kid yourself. The fact that they put Geno in the game is finally some sort of sign that they are noticing us. And the poll is sure proof that they now know how many of us there are.

As much as i am a huge fan boy of Geno, do you really think Nintendo would pay for him as basically a cameo? With that said, and his big showing on the polls, he's all but guaranteed for Brawl in mind.

Im just looking the most logical thing, i am a fan boy of Geno, big time, but i like to see things in reality as well.

All im saying is, there's no need for this Geno or Megaman controversy that people seem to associate with Geno. If it really does come down to them as thrid party characters, which i think is an unlikely case, then im all for Geno over Megaman, no matter who disagrees.

But really i see it as they can easily both get in, Geno as a non-pure 3rd party addition and Megaman as pure 3rd party. Not to mention the 2 to 3 3rd party limit isn't exactly set in stone either if Geno really is purely 3rd party. But yes, if they HAD to pay for him in Brawl (which will be worth any cost), then im sure it would be a relatively low-cost for Geno.

EDIT: BTW is anyone willing to look for some video that shows Geno's appearance in M&L: SSS? i know this guy on YouTube posted the entire game walkthrough, but im too lazy to go through the videos to see which one has Geno in it right now :p

Not to mention i cant find a single screen shot of his appearance :/

Enigma14

Smash Champion
I wouldn't be questioning my love for Geno if i were you :p

As much as i am a huge fan boy of Geno, do you really think Nintendo would pay for him as basically a cameo? With that said, and his big showing on the polls, he's all but guaranteed for Brawl in mind.

Im just looking the most logical thing, i am a fan boy of Geno, big time, but i like to see things in reality as well.

All im saying is, there's no need for this Geno or Megaman controversy that people seem to associate with Geno. If it really does come down to them as thrid party characters, which i think is an unlikely case, then im all for Geno over Megaman, no matter who disagrees.

But really i see it as they can easily both get in, Geno as a non-pure 3rd party addition and Megaman as pure 3rd party. Not to mention the 2 to 3 3rd party limit isn't exactly set in stone either if Geno really is purely 3rd party. But yes, if they HAD to pay for him in Brawl (which will be worth any cost), then im sure it would be a relatively low-cost for Geno.

EDIT: BTW is anyone willing to look for some video that shows Geno's appearance in M&L: SSS? i know this guy on YouTube posted the entire game walkthrough, but im too lazy to go through the videos to see which one has Geno in it right now :p

Not to mention i cant find a single screen shot of his appearance :/
I'll do it. Snakz took the words out of my mind and into post form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbgS1ssqhzk
6:46

Surpringly i found it by only looking at 1 vid. SWEETNESS!

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Dude, I want to know WTF Gaz did with Geno, where he would end up in such a place? He was made part of a gambling machine, **** it! **** you, Gaz! Your single mother was a horrible influence! You threw Geno away, and now he's been living in obscurity all this time! **** YOU!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dude, I want to know WTF Gaz did with Geno, where he would end up in such a place? He was made part of a gambling machine, **** it! **** you, Gaz! Your single mother was a horrible influence! You threw Geno away, and now he's been living in obscurity all this time! **** YOU!
It could be just a massed produced figure or something...

...Or just Gaz never got the toy back and someone walked by and found it

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Easy Gaz lost the rights to Geno

paralasalud

Smash Ace
i have to get this idea out.

croco for AT.
IF coin battles are still in brawl, he could come out and decrease everyone's (but the person who unleashed him) coins.

Snakz

Smash Ace
Easy Gaz lost the rights to Geno
Hahah, that was awesome

Yea after seeing that video, i think we can safely say Nintendo absolutely did NOT pay for Geno for that small appearance, he wasn't even shown on screen for more than two seconds!

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Exactly - there's no WAY they payed for that. And if they didn't pay for that, who's to say they can't get away with not paying for more?

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
The only thing we need is Sakurai's say so and we got ourself a kickass game. Geno for Brawl.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
i was bored and did a couple of Geno recolors:

old-school Geno fans who had the player's guide should recognize these as the Mega Cape, Sailor Cape and the Fire Cape.

and if you don't....well, then i guess i didn't do a very good job. :D

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
i was bored and did a couple of Geno recolors:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p130/trashydrummer/mega-geno.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p130/trashydrummer/sailor-geno.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p130/trashydrummer/fire-geno2.jpg

old-school Geno fans who had the player's guide should recognize these as the Mega Cape, Sailor Cape and the Fire Cape.

and if you don't....well, then i guess i didn't do a very good job. :D
I had that! (Which is odd... since I didn't own the game) Maybe my memory is off, but wasn't there some black on the Fire Cape? Anyway, they look great! I can't decide between the Mega or Sailor Cape on which one is my favorite...

/last post of the ni- ...morning. *sleep*

AllanT

Smash Apprentice
yes, i too am like pomfrod, though i havent yet played the game through, i've played the game and geno well deserves to be in brawl.

El HP i may be new to the site, but im not new to boards, and im sorry but i have to agree with everyone else- your posts are just... absurd.

Top Bottom