• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Not gonna lie, reflector is one of my favorite moves, and though I do use it a bit, I used it WAAAAAAAAAY more than usual in that match. And I try not to phantasm onto stage when the opponent is too far away, but I get into a habit of doing it a lot. :urg:

I was mostly scare mixing up my recovery because that ledge is the devil and I try not to be near it too much. I'll be sure to work on spacing and whatnot.

Also, I take it air laser is always better than grounded laser, huh?

Thanks!

Elemt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0318-8975-5879
Not just air laser. You have to SHDL and SHL. I didn't see a single one executed correctly. Lasers are key to using Falco. You reflected way too much. Just a few tips.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Yeah if you can get to where you can silent laser and SHDL with the second one silent, then you've got it perfect :D

Just work on the timing because it's very helpful to playing Falco.

kirbydabest

Smash Journeyman

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
If i could get these two matches critqued these were tourney matches even though it says friendlies the person who uploaded it made a mistake this was my first time using falco in tourney since i am a kirby main lol but i just want some critique so i know what to do so i can have a viable falco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tF7fS9Fm90
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-6Bl3hsiNc

all critques are appreciated :)
KDB i am positive these were friendly. They happened at Holy Smash (i hosted that event). you played against my crew mate SSGuy he is also my room mate.

Here is a link to the results thread so you can see that i am not making things up
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=308492&highlight=numbers

and with that give me a few days and i will have the set critiqued for you. Also its a bit old now dont you think you have learned and your game changed sense then?

kirbydabest

Smash Journeyman
Ohh my apologies viper lol I just felt like I played ssguy in tourney xD but yeah I want this vid critqued cus I dont have alot of vids of my falco sooo just to have something critqued cus who knows it may have been awhile but I still may make certain mistakes I didnt know about lol hopefully ill get more vids after this months nll

:phone:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Only watched one of the videos, but holy **** man, slow your roll. You can't just be throwing smashes out at people's shields. That's a damn good way to die. This guy didn't really hurt you for it, but you do NOT want to do that against someone who's marginally better. I mean, it was Wario, grab release->USmash is a kill leaving you with more options than normal, but you were still just hurling USmash around like it was gonna go bad. Let the kill blow come. Bair or a time when his options are more limited and USmashing is a better plan.

All in all, you had your fundamentals down, but here's what I saw.

Jab more and tilt when you're not in Jab range but still too close. You looked really uncomfortable at ranges where a FTilt would work just fine. Your boxing could improve.

Don't spot dodge twice in a row in almost every case.

Nair when they're on a platform above you instead of trying for sour spot Dair.

Go to the training room and learn that BDACUS.

Don't run with that CG when you don't have to. Twice I saw you get it and start running which costed you regrabs you could've had walking. You also don't run the risk of tripping like when you tried to spike and tripped.

Learn the Wario MU. You looked like you didn't know what was coming and you challenged UAir and lost waaaaaay too much.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I beat the best Diddy and Marth in my state 2-0 in tourney matches but no vids

Prime

Smash Rookie
Please Watch Video

So I just switched to a gamecube controller 6 days ago from the wiimote and nunchuck. I was to the point where I couldn't get any better with them, so I decided to switch to the gamecube for more potential with advenced techniques. This is just a match against some level 9 cpus since I have nobody to play with, but any commentes on the video would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2n8FEfJwOs

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
Roll less.

Learn to laser correctly.

Over all I guess that makes you a beginer so I guess I can't say much here.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
lol i just want to comment that was back last august, and it was pools

but drew still won 2-0 :laugh:

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Ohh my apologies viper lol I just felt like I played ssguy in tourney xD but yeah I want this vid critqued cus I dont have alot of vids of my falco sooo just to have something critqued cus who knows it may have been awhile but I still may make certain mistakes I didnt know about lol hopefully ill get more vids after this months nll

:phone:
ITs all good man. My computer broke last week i am on SSGuys comp right now. I still plan on critiquing your vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q4JPWKuvgo&feature=youtu.be

Yo this is one of my vids from this past weekend.

Sorry for this being the only video
Tell me whats wrong and right?
Red your the **** and you should have saved more then one game. you also should have won that set in my opinion. I think your :fox: would have went in but i seen some good **** from your :falco: I will go over your vid soon.

Keep working with Mink Gallax and the other orlando players your going to be sick

oh btw dec 10th is the next nub academy and i hope you and mink can make it.

I beat the best Diddy and Marth in my state 2-0 in tourney matches but no vids
you beating chaz was epic and i am not sure if GDX was the #1 diddy when you beat him.

lol i just want to comment that was back last august, and it was pools

but drew still won 2-0 :laugh:
GDX in the falco thread good stuff.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Can someone please criticize this Falco?
He doesn't want to ask for it because he's new to the character, but I honestly don't know what to tell him that he should be doing. ^^;

SkyPirateCoud (Olimar) v. PantyRaider (Falco)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
lol I've been lazy, thanks Shaun.

Yeah, if anyone could help me out that would be great. I find Falco to be a lot of fun, and I just want to improve. I'm new to this character, not the game.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I feel both motivated to help and sleepy as ****. I'll actually get to this one tomorrow though I'm unsure whether I'll watch all seven matches.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
You're welcome, PR.

Thank you very much, Ryker. ^_^

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I watched 2 mins of match1 and stopped, sorry man.

The advice I can give you is learn matchups. You're playing Olimar as if he's Donkey Kong or whatever. Olimar can outcamp us and good Olimars will outcamp us. You can shoot lasers sure, but at the end of the day we're better off in close combat. So when you sideB through him and he shields it, predict what he does and get in his face. Get some mixups. Don't use reflector in this MU because Olimar can punish it on reaction =/

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Alright alright to be fair GDX destroyed me at the latest tourney. In pools. :c

To be more fair I was not warmed up ;)

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Ryker:

Why Back Throw at mid percents? You give up your positional advantage when do you that and for mediocre damage. If it was a character that was like bad in the air and trying to get them off stage thats one thing..but :warioc:...lol Get more versed in "aerial" tech chasing after a Down Throw. You could be racking up the damage a lot easier that way. Getting the lead and keeping it is essential against :warioc:

I noticed you got punished for SH Laser a few times. You need to learn the area is which it unsafe to short hop. Its different for each character but Short Hopping in close or mid range is risky because of your limited options. Like look at about 3:30 or so in the first match and you'll see what I mean. Be a bit more conservative with them.

I also noticed you overcommit to Dair..like a lot. Almost every time you throw it out against Reflex he avoided it and then punished it. Try using less laggy aerials like Nair sometimes. You did the same thing with Bair at times.

Your mixups on getting back from the ledge are weak as well. Its almost always an immediate Phantasm or a ledge jump with a delayed Phantasm or. Try coming off the ledge with an aerial or just an empty get up or attack. Use all of your options.

You Falco is solid as a whole..it just appears that from first glance you have a lot of the very common shortcomings that all mid level Falcos have..which is extremely easy to spot and punish for an experienced player like Reflex.

Hope this helps you, my friend.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
You Falco is solid as a whole..it just appears that from first glance you have a lot of the very common shortcomings that all mid level Falcos have..which is extremely easy to spot and punish for an experienced player like Reflex.

Hope this helps you, my friend.
What I expected. It's mostly things I know and I'm working on, but it's reassuring to know I'm not missing anything glaring in what I need to work on.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
All in all, watch your short hops.

But another thing, spamming SH Bair in place beats Wario. I'm serious. And it's a great mixup alongside Side B as well.

Zwei Striker

Smash Apprentice
I just watched game one. My general corrections:
- Stop trying to force the chaingrab. Just because he's at low% doesn't mean you should be chaingrabing him.
- You need to stop phantasming into the stage so obviously, mix things up (once you even ledgedrop>second jump>phantasm! what were you thinking?), do ledgerolls or attacks.
- Instant aerial phantasm should be part of your game.
- You need to get better at shdl, because you are lasering too high.
- Smashes aren't the only moves in falcos pool that kill. Bair, uair and utilt (fresh at like 180%) also make nice kills.
- Try not being so agressive, you can spam him lasers, he can't. Camp!
- Jab more. Same for ftilt, it's a great move for spacing.
Read this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=309470

M@v

Subarashii!
Going to be having a tourney set vs seagull from Sunday going up here soon. I want it critiqued really hard so I can catch every mistake I missed after looking at it myself.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Well idk what to say about your Zelda gameplay, because I don't play the character. All I can really tell you is that the match would have been even more difficult if the Falco just camped you. I remember going lol when the Falco literally jumped into your dtilt and you got like 40-50% free damage off the lock.

Looking over the video again, I think 2:30-2:34 is the defining moment of this whole match. Falco decides to play the MU properly and camp you for like 3 seconds, and then he randomly decides to run at you giving up the good position and damage he could have gotten from lasering. He eats a dtilt lock for his troubles. Also this moment shows that you really don't know how to deal with lasers. You had to rely on spotdodging to avoid getting hit. Instead you should learn to powershield lasers or avoid them altogether. I'm pretty sure Zelda's dtilt makes her crouch low enough to avoid anything but a grounded laser. Both are much better alternatives then spotdodging lasers. Aside from the specifics, I think this instance just shows that the Falco isn't really playing the MU correctly, and you also have no reliable answers to standard Falco tactics.

I really can't tell you anything MU wise, because I have next to no experience in this and I also feel that it is being played incorrectly. You do, however, need to improve on your general players skills such as reading and DI'ing. You DI'd very poorly on your second stock against the f-smash, and I can't say 100% that you would have lived, but with the proper angle and momentum cancel with neutral-B Zelda can live pretty long. I also say you need to improve your reading skills, because in this match you got a lot of free damage from the enemy falco just running into stuff. I'm not saying this was all your damage, and I'm not taking away from any reads you may have made during that match. But if the MU is played properly, you're going to make a lot more reads seeing as you won't get nearly as much damage as you did if the Falco doesn't approach the way your opponent in the vid did.

Also food for thought, learning how to bait will help you tremendously. A very simple bait that I've seen used with great success is this tactic used on a recovering Falco. If a Falco is recovering, and he's already used his second jump, but he's still offstage, his only real option is his sideB. So what you can do is walk right up to the edge of the stage so that your character goes into the animation where he looks like he's about to fall off the edge. Your intent to grab the ledge is very obvious, so given that your opponent isn't crazy, the Falco will go for a phantasm above the stage. Now knowing this, you quickly run back and charge an u-smash or any move that will reliably beat Falco's sideB, and you got yourself a free hit. This match of San vs Bloodcross is a perfect example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbNh0elGC4w All of Ike's kills in some way involve this bait. Notice that on BC's second stock, he adapts to San's bait and goes for the edge twice instead of onstage. San of course adapts and goes for the edge the third time this situation arises and gets the stock. So don't forget to adapt and change your response to the situation. Seeing how strong Zelda's u-smash is, I'm sure you can get similar results, and hopefully you can think of your own unique baits.

Hope this helps

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Yeah that really helps and I am a new player still trying to get the basics down :p Don't think I'm quite at the point where I can reliably make reads but I'll definitely work on it. Thanks :D

That vid was amazing, btw.

He does normally play more campy, and things get even worse for me, haha. I probably wouldn't use Zelda in a tourney match though against a Falco but I'd like to rep Zelda as much as I can. :)

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Yeah that really helps and I am a new player still trying to get the basics down :p Don't think I'm quite at the point where I can reliably make reads but I'll definitely work on it. Thanks :D

That vid was amazing, btw.

He does normally play more campy, and things get even worse for me, haha. I probably wouldn't use Zelda in a tourney match though against a Falco but I'd like to rep Zelda as much as I can. :)
No problem, I'm new to Falco too, so I couldn't really say MU specific stuff, but I'm glad the other things were helpful. Also it's probably more useful to put a vid of when your opponent plays the MU properly so that more applicable advice can be made. Even if you do end up getting destroyed even more in that match.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Yeah I agree with you but I was only able to start recording stuff since yesterday and that was the only semi-serious game that had a replay available. But yeah I really appreciate the tips and I'll try to be mindful of DI (I'm normally too slow) and reading (I try to, but I usually end up looking at myself rather than the opponent).

Powershielding the lasers might be a little more difficult, but I'll see what I can do about dealing with the lasers. I've only been to two small tournies and playing with others can be hard since everybody lives so far from each other.

Asa

Smash Hero
just think about how to get around lasers, you don't need a whole lot of offline exp to come up with a gameplan

you have:
-spotdodge
-dtilt
-powershield (or run and shield)
-staying in the air/on platforms

utilize all these while staying midrange to falco and you'll find the lasers to be less troubling

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
If you hit down b the matchup becomes drastically easier.

But yeah, what they said.

Top Bottom