• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

Anonymous Brawler

Smash Journeyman
I want the Falco boards to say how my Falco is, but I don't have a friend that know how to play the game. Can I update a vid of me vs CPU or should I have a Wi-Fi match and record it?
If the Wi-Fi match is the best option, who should I play against?

BluB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Crazy_Arni
Neither a match against a cpu nor a WiFi match is good for criticizing someone.

But if you really have no offline opponents a WiFi match would be the better option. You should just play against someone who's good. You could just take a look at the aib ladder rankings to find an opponent.

Anonymous Brawler

Smash Journeyman
Neither a match against a cpu nor a WiFi match is good for criticizing someone.

But if you really have no offline opponents a WiFi match would be the better option. You should just play against someone who's good. You could just take a look at the aib ladder rankings to find an opponent.
Thank you for the advice.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49ZcLKCsE3w

Here's me vs the best Olimar in the UK in a pool match. I defeated him later in the bracket in Winners semis though.

I don't think I played my best here but any tips regarding the Oli-Falco MU and just tips on my Falco would be very greatful. =D
I'm certainly not the best falco around or anything. But one thing I did notice was to watch your rolling. Oli can punish rolls very easily with his insane pivot grab range. In this match-up i was always told to play really campy also, but that's more of a playstyle thing. Good use of your illusions and aerials though.

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Thanks Bolt. Lately I believe I have a better understanding of this and other MUs, and I have been trying to make my playstyle more campy, as my Falco used to be very, if not over aggresive. Now I'm utilising the lasers awsomeness more and I hope to get more vids of my Falco at the upcoming national later this month so you guys can critique them! =3

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
The Kazakhstan community are the most competitive in the world. It's hard as **** to place well over there!

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
Hey all, I haven't played Brawl in a long while, especially competitively, but I'm aiming to get back into the scene. I've got a few friendlies here that I had with a buddy who plays Lucas. I may be able to get some more up soon, but hopefully for now I can get some criticism and advice on these 3 videos. The 3rd one is sort of just for fun, but hey, maybe you can find some things to criticize in there.

Falco v. Lucas 1

Falco v. Lucas 2

Falco v. Lucas 3
(Yes I know I should have Fired back to the stage rather than Phantasming on that first death)

I'm working on getting the Boost Smash and Gatling Combo down perfect, but I'm not quite to the point where I can implement it into my gameplay consistently. I do utilize both however.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide!

Edit: Oh and by the way, they're all 2 stock matches so that they fit into the 3 minute time limit for recorded matches on Brawl. Sorry for the bad cam quality as well... I wish I had a capture card.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
ignore this post i thought i posted in the Falcon forum >.>

Yung Mei

i doubt it. i posted replays a while back and no one replied

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Although this is the place to post vids for critiquing can you guys also post it in the Falco Video thread? Most Falcos post over there and will give some advice if asked. I'll watch the vids tonight and give my insight btw.

Keitaro

rate my falco please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd8K28G8xOM

Im using the tag Naut, or Black Jacket Falco

my opponent is Dray/Phazon Falco
I have the same song on my Battlefield, the Cammy remix :D

You're Falco has some skill, one of the main things that you should change is what you do after the cg. I noticed that you would dacus, which does give alot of percent, but on Dray's 2nd stock you could have brought him to the edge for a spike which could have led to an instant kill.

Also upsmash is Falco's best kill move. You seem to be using it too much at percents like 60 to 90 causing it to be weak when you best need it. Instead of upsmashes at those percents try uptilting, retreating bairs, or lasers to rack up damage. Also you gotta stop trying to hit your recovering Falco opponent with upsmash out of forward b :p

Your dacus and long dacus abilities are even better than my own. Don't lose tech skill in that.

Also try to forward b to the edge more often. Forward b-ing onto the stage can be very predictable and easily punishable. Let me know if you have any newer vids up or if you ever put up any new ones dude. Keep at it.

Keitaro

Hey all, I haven't played Brawl in a long while, especially competitively, but I'm aiming to get back into the scene. I've got a few friendlies here that I had with a buddy who plays Lucas. I may be able to get some more up soon, but hopefully for now I can get some criticism and advice on these 3 videos. The 3rd one is sort of just for fun, but hey, maybe you can find some things to criticize in there.

Falco v. Lucas 1

Falco v. Lucas 2

Falco v. Lucas 3
(Yes I know I should have Fired back to the stage rather than Phantasming on that first death)

I'm working on getting the Boost Smash and Gatling Combo down perfect, but I'm not quite to the point where I can implement it into my gameplay consistently. I do utilize both however.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide!

Edit: Oh and by the way, they're all 2 stock matches so that they fit into the 3 minute time limit for recorded matches on Brawl. Sorry for the bad cam quality as well... I wish I had a capture card.
I love you're baited u-airs into uptilts and jabs.

You should try to punish your opponent with an upsmash once they are past 115%. I noticed you'd go for dash attacks after the Lucas up-bed when you could have went for upsmashes for an easier lower percent kill.

You seem to be pretty good at getting the dash attack to hit but you should work on getting the gatling combo out of it for an extra 10 + percent when you get a dash attack to hit. I get the dacus to work almost 100% by dashing then hitting the cstick down to dash attack and immediately hitting the cstick up 2 to 3 times right when the dash attack hits my opponent. Try it out.

You also gotta be ready to downthrow/cg after attempting a grab. I saw a couple times when you would forward throw the Lucas especially in the 2nd game while the Lucas was at cg percents.

Also try to practice jab to grab. It's an easy setup for a grab. And practice forward b-ing to the edge also so your recovery isn't predictable. Those 2 are some key elements to Falco success.

Also get your friend to stop sding :p

I'll get some other Falcos from the Falco backroom to give some more advice.

For the advice that I gave, I consistently use it in my matches. Here's 2 matches that can be used for reference to my advice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wRO6RXtU8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYjMckf3I6c

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the great advice Keitaro. I'm getting the DACUS down more and more as I play, so in future matches you should see it more. Those few grabs in the second match where I didn't CG were just me making mistakes... watching the match afterwards I wondered to myself why I didn't CG. Also, I've seen quite a few Falcos using the jab -> grab combo, but I have trouble remembering to add jabs into my moveset.

Getting other Falcos to also give advice would be great! I'll try to get some more videos up soon.

Yung Mei

I have the same song on my Battlefield, the Cammy remix :D
cammys theme is best on BattleField :D

You're Falco has some skill, one of the main things that you should change is what you do after the cg. I noticed that you would dacus, which does give alot of percent, but on Dray's 2nd stock you could have brought him to the edge for a spike which could have led to an instant kill.

Personally, i prefer not to cg after 3 throws, because i feel it doesnt give my opponent a fair game if i get them up to high percentages before they even get a few hits in
Never saw that before lol

Also upsmash is Falco's best kill move. You seem to be using it too much at percents like 60 to 90 causing it to be weak when you best need it. Instead of upsmashes at those percents try uptilting, retreating bairs, or lasers to rack up damage. Also you gotta stop trying to hit your recovering Falco opponent with upsmash out of forward b :p

I only used it to look cool :D
ive just learned how to alot better than i used to about 2 weeks ago, ill start putting it into my style now . Couldnt i use nAir though, to rack up damage as well?

Your dacus and long dacus abilities are even better than my own. Don't lose tech skill in that.

really? i had only learned to Dacus like 3 days before the match :D

Also try to forward b to the edge more often. Forward b-ing onto the stage can be very predictable and easily punishable. Let me know if you have any newer vids up or if you ever put up any new ones dude. Keep at it.

i agree with this, i played dray recently, and he's been noticing the lag :D
responses in bold

i taught dray how to play as falco :D

Keitaro

I have tap jump off and L to jump.

I dash and hit down on cstick to then up and A. I have to claw my right index finger over to do it which isn't too comfortable so I don't do it much.

Yung Mei

I dash and hit down on cstick to then up and A. I have to claw my right index finger over to do it which isn't too comfortable so I don't do it much.
holy ****, thats uncomfortable as hell.

try my method, its quite a bit easier.

like i said, just change tap jump to off, r to attack

then dash>cstick down>Up+R (quickly)

try it with snake first, since his is easiest, then progress to other characters. as soon as you can do it with shiek then you got it down lol

swordsaint

Smash Master

I actually do this too, and it works fine. It's actually not that uncomfortable if you're used to it. The only difference is, I have tap jump on, and L is still shield for me.

Only control set up I've changed is my X is grab, since I hate the trigger.

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
I use dash, C stick down, then up and Z. My index finger doesn't bend that way =.="

Yung Mei

I use dash, C stick down, then up and Z. My index finger doesn't bend that way =.="
IMO (NOTICE THE IMO) that method sucks, because too of many things you can mess up on.

the worst that can happen on my method is you use a Dash Attack.

with the method you said just now if you mess up, youll end up either Jumping, DA, or Grabbing.

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
So I have some more matches for you all. Here are five more recorded matches from yesterday:

Falco v. Lucas 4

Falco v. Lucas 5

Falco v. Lucas 6

Falco v. Lucas 7

Falco v. Lucas 8

Sorry that they're all still against Lucas. It's the only character my friend plays anymore (he used to also play Pit), and none of my other friends who play Smash competitively live near me. I went to a tournament today that turned out to have only around ten entrants. I lost both of my first two matches, both to Metaknights. I despise Shuttle Loop. Sorry, no videos of those matches, as the tournament had no capture cards and was just not well put together. Anyways, here are all of my recent observations:

--------------------------------------------------

Approaching
My main trouble with Falco is that I have NO idea on how I should be approaching. I've seen players use both SH Dairs and RAR Bairs as approaches, but both Lucas and MK seem to be too short for this to work effectively. My main approach is Usmashes, and I know that is not the best option as it stales my best killing move. I also try DACUSes, but they are way too predictable and almost always get shielded, even when I try to mix it up with some lasers beforehand. So, can anyone give me the rundown on how best to approach as Falco?

Chaingrabbing
If you watched the above matches, I'm sure you noticed that I failed to keep many, MANY chaingrabs going. I'm guessing I was probably not buffering fast enough, but I pulled off multiple chaingrabs against the MKs I played in the tournament earlier today. Was I just off my game against Lucas, or can Lucas get out of it with a simple jump?

On The Defensive
When playing against the MKs in tournament I noticed that any time an MK would just start gliding (dashing) towards me, I would freeze up because I was expecting a sliding grab and didn't know what to do. What is the best way to go when playing on the defensive? How could I have avoided the grab and taken the initiative back? Laser pressuring didn't seem to work, as MK can get into close range in an instant with his insanely fast dash speed.

--------------------------------------------------

After these last two days of just getting my *** handed to me repeatedly, I'm already thinking of quitting the Smash scene again, even though I've only been back for two weeks or so. My friend who I am up against, the Lucas player, never plays Brawl except when I ask him to, and never goes to Smashboards. I try to improve by reading the Falco board, watching videos, and practicing all the time, and he still beats me 80% of the time. Very disheartening.

That or switch to Metaknight, which a long time ago I told myself I would never do. I want to play a top tier character, but not one with a tier of his own. Please save me from either of these outcomes; give me some critique!

Oh, and here are the first three matches I posted, in case someone is looking at my post for the first time and doesn't want to scroll up to find the other matches.

Falco v. Lucas 1

Falco v. Lucas 2

Falco v. Lucas 3

Again, sorry for the bad cam quality, and sorry for the extremely long post. Any help is greatly appreciated!

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Kirin you tend to stay shield a lot where you could've done a better option. There was a moment where you could've attacked Lucas with an utilt or jab, but you just shielded. You should also try to spot dodge and roll more in certain situations rather then shielding, Falco spot dodge is amazing and should be abused.

Don't do a running up smash at early percentages. Doing it around 10 or 20% is a horrible option since you're staling your kill move, you're able to better moves at that %, and since they're at such a low % they are able to punish you even if the up smash connects. If you're going to use up smash do the dash attack up smash combo instead of doing up smash alone.

You need to use jab a lot more, it's one of his best moves. Not only is it his quickest move, but if you do the full jab you can rack up a lot of damage if the person doesn't know how to DI it correctly.

Top Bottom