• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
I got wrecked way too hard, haha.

Lost to a random Marth, then RockCrock was put into my pool into loser's cuz he was late. Didn't know his pool was switched.

That was a hot ****ing if I ever received one. xD

It was all super fun though, I must admit.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
he beat cactuar.

but ask Hbox and he'll tell you I'm the best.

he can't rest me or kill me with bair

phish-it

Smash Champion
By the way I'm still waiting on the location and format of DK retaining his punch when hit out of the up B. Did you even enter at Apex or were you just helping to run it?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I entered but my controller got stolen so I lost 0-2. also, Iori was entered into my pool under haunterman07, which is completely unfair and I lost to him in losers.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I love the DK players.. shoutouts to all of you.. Ripple, Strongbad, Phish-it, Rockcrock.. and

GREEEEN RANGER!!! <3

I'm def a fan of you all <3

See you all next national <3

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
do u *****es wanna know the secret to having a really **** donkey kong that embarrasses fraudulent spacie players that suck at smash???
im ready to divulge the secret...

donkey kong's muscular pectorals (aka breasts)

monkeys and gorillas suffer from breast cancer just as much as humans do, do ur part to prevent atrocities like dk losing all of his power by donating for melee and breast cancer research today!!

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I'm glad to see people still play melee and dk especially. I came back here for old times sake. Lol. I haven't touched a cube controller since genesis 2. Lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i'm seriously done w/ this game after evo haha. i know i said that about apex, but i'm serious this time. smash isn't forever, as much as we want it to be. it's cool to see a post from you though jaime, hope life is treating you well.

Max?

Smash Champion
No one ever truly quits. You just don't play religiously anymore. You don't go to tournaments every weekend or travel anymore. But you still get together with the homies every now and then, and do DK dittos and get high.

That said, DK is an awful awful character

Rykard

Smash Ace
how consistent are any of you with reverse Giant punch charge cancel to b-air in 1 short hop? This is one of the most frustrating timings in this game haha. but the fact that you can effectively approach with b-air while starting out facing forward with this is way too good

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
don't even try, it's not worth it. i practiced it almost exclusively for 3 weeks at one point and i couldn't get it consistent enough to be relevant. and i'm able to SDHL over 90% of time.

Rykard

Smash Ace
I feel like it really would be worth it though if possible to do consistently. also i'm surprised that i have no idea what you mean by SDHL since I have been playing this game competitively for over 6 years haha

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
shorthop double laser

dk's fast punch charge cancel is a 1-frame window and you need to start it in the shorthop quickly enough for you to be able to bair and have it come out. it's not worth it. i'd like nothing more than for a DK player in 2016 to prove me wrong and start using it consistently but i don't think it's going to happen

Green Ranger

Smash Journeyman
Would anyone be interested if I made a DK guide specifically for cargo upthrow (specifically for fox and falco :dkmelee: :dkmelee: :dkmelee: :dkmelee: :dkmelee: :dkmelee: )? I would need to get some recording equipment, a training buddy, and invest a nontrivial amount of time into it. I think it could be useful very for people trying to pick up DK. We could also use it as a compendium where experienced DK mains post their favorite cargo upthrow techniques. With this, everyone can learn something new!

Ehh, I think it could a neat little project to do while I'm bored. Might also help move this character forward (yes, he still has potential, trustt mee). Tell me what you guys think.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
good luck dks, im done w/ melee. hope to see you at tourneys where pm and melee are both featured.

gencore

Smash Rookie
Hate to noob-up this thread, but I'd like to ask why nair/dtilt approaches are worse than bairs. People say dk's positioning is really important, but I just come in both ways.

phish-it

Smash Champion
good job at evo phish-it!

Thanks, but it's sad to see the rest of the DK players moving on to greener pastures.

Hate to noob-up this thread, but I'd like to ask why nair/dtilt approaches are worse than bairs. People say dk's positioning is really important, but I just come in both ways.
Melee isn't a game where one move is simply just better than others. Using the right move in the right situation is more in line of how it works. Generally bair is one of your better approach options but that doesn't mean it is always the go to answer. You can't always turn around in time to bair and spamming it too much gets predictable and punished so you need to mix it up sometimes.

As far as Nairs in this game go, DK sadly has one of the worst, but that doesn't mean it's useless at all. Jumping in with a nair is faster than turning around and bairing; it can be useful for countering someone trying to jump. Also I try to overshoot it and land past them to avoid getting shield grabbed should they shield.

Dtilt should be used to poke the opponent and control space. Don't use it too much as it has little knockback and can be crouch canceled and punished easily. It's more useful at higher percents.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Let's say, hypothetically, that someone has followed competitive Melee for years, tried and failed to break into the scene multiple times, and is aware of most of the game's mechanics. Let's go on to say(hypothetically, once again) that this person has had a really hard time choosing a character over the span of the last five years but, in the end, is strongly considering Donkey Kong. Were this hypothetical person to ask the Donkey Kong player base at large for some advice as to where to start, what would the player base hypothetically say?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Play Samus, Maria. You stand a better chance.

...at least that's what the DK players would tell you. Or a DK player that knows you, anyway.

Smooth Criminal

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Shockingly enough, I've lost a lot of my love for Samus in the last few years. I blame Metroid Prime 3 for being a horrible game.

EDIT: When I ask for advice, I don't count "don't play Donkey Kong" as advice.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
is your region strong? Is it necessary for you to actually win tourneys to be happy? or do you enjoy the game enough that going to a tourney, spending 5 bucks and going out 0-2 bothers you? realistically if you train hard I think you could guarantee top 8 at the majority of locals in any region, but I feel like most people have little grasp on what the meaning of train hard is. I consider myself to be a working man that is mostly retired from melee, yet i still practice more vs comps than most people practice total(it's relaxing to visualize spacings, practice movement combos or edgeguarding on comps. That said, I'm probably the only person that has memorized ways to get the opposing comp fox to firefox from specific positions. Still can't practice it all either).

started to post all sorts of things that would help, then deleted it all. Being realistic, you will not be able to handle top level falco or sheik play. Bum didn't face much sheik when he did so well, and the falco game has developed a lot since then. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if a DK managed to take sets off of fox, marth, ICs, or jiggs, but falco, sheik, and peach seem extremely difficult. Still, with a secondary, it would be very possible to do well with DK, but honestly playing a secondary makes it harder to master new skills with a char, so it makes playing DK at all seem very much a waste of time.

Top Bottom