• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

Max?

Smash Champion
I would be down. We need to determine if we're playing 64 or the GC version. Either way, LET'S GO

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
niko u r crazy boo was god tier in 64, those slice serves o ****. Now i was never into the gc version that much (when i played i turned those power shot things off) but if i recall i was maining waluigi in that one. Also i am down for a smash/mario tennis tourney

Max?

Smash Champion
Smash/mario tennis tourney is legit and Mario Power Tennis (GC) is a must. Power shots off is standard. Waluigi was interesting but nowhere near the likes of Flyguy, Shyguy, and Koopa.
Agreed that Power shots are turned off. What makes Flyguy/Shyguy so good in those games? I agree that Koopatroopa and paratroopa are retardedly good, and I've always been under the impression Boo/Peach/Daisy/DK were all Top Tier.

Boo is jank and tricky as ****. Peach and Daisy are overall really good, and DK is surprisingly fast, has ridic power and has absurd range.

Max?

Smash Champion
Whoa, DK is broken in Mario Strikers. If he gets close enough to the goalie, he has a setup which guarantees a goal every single time.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Nono, def 64. The GC version added items IIRC which made everything terrible.
Lolz, you can turn everything off in the GC version, so it's just like Smash. In addition, like Smash, it has stages with different properties (counterpicks?) but I can't remember if this was in N64 version or not.

Agreed that Power shots are turned off. What makes Flyguy/Shyguy so good in those games? I agree that Koopatroopa and paratroopa are retardedly good, and I've always been under the impression Boo/Peach/Daisy/DK were all Top Tier.

Boo is jank and tricky as ****. Peach and Daisy are overall really good, and DK is surprisingly fast, has ridic power and has absurd range.
I can't remember which of the two it was (although I think it was Fly Guy), but one of them is super tricky and makes that ball curve way too much. In all honest, the tricky characters were broken with that ridiculous trajectory manipulation.

Max?

Smash Champion
Interesting, I was never a fan of Fly/Shy Guy personally because they were a lil slow and didn't have great range. Having good trajectory manipulation is jank tho

Max?

Smash Champion
Doubles is the only way to play in Mario Tennis.

Beat!, let's just convince people to host a MT tourney at the next international so we can all play together.

Niko45

Smash Master
At least in 64, the trick characters aren't amazing because of the spin. It's easy to deal with the spin if you hit the ball close to the bounce as it really only gets ridiculous further after the bounce. What's ridiculous about them is their net and anti-net game which are just absurd.

Boo is really slow and heavily inaccurate so you can generally overwhelm him with a power character pretty easily. Paratroopa however is better on both accounts and even when pushed to the brink his baseline game can keep up with a power character and just needs one less than amazing hit from them in order to take control and eventually work his way to the net.

Max?

Smash Champion
Paratroopa is easily the best character in 64, and might be the best in GC version as well.

He and KoopaTroopa are the Fox and Falco of that game

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Doubles is the only way to play in Mario Tennis.
Do you mean it's the only possible way, or it's the only way it should be played, cuz iirc, Power Tennis (GC) can play singles.

At least in 64, the trick characters aren't amazing because of the spin. It's easy to deal with the spin if you hit the ball close to the bounce as it really only gets ridiculous further after the bounce. What's ridiculous about them is their net and anti-net game which are just absurd.
Well, in Power Tennis, the spin and curve start becoming a little too much out of hand even before the ball has bounced. It made Fly Guy the Puff of MT on GC. It's not a surprise to see tricky characters score consecutive service aces in this game.

Max?

Smash Champion
Boo is kind of bad when you learn his curve angles. He's easy to out-muscle.
Yeah, I think that's a problem with a number of the tricky characters.

DK is a monster tho, huge net game, faster than he looks, great range. Covers every lob shot in the game.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
u guys r all crazy, in 64 boo's serve and volley game is to good, and power hitter r to slow to deal with it. but imo boo is low tier in GC dude got nerfed big time

edit: also bubba u should know i like doubles in mario tennis, and if we r talking the gc one then waluigi (who i use) is a very good doubles partner.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
aight i can stand the bull**** tristate mario tennis invasion, but nagace i would appreciate it if u wouldn't post in my thread.

Max?

Smash Champion
Strongbad I'm pretty sure this is Mexican's thread.

Boo is pretty good in GC MT, I don't know where this whole idea that he is bad came from.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Strongbad I'm pretty sure this is Mexican's thread.

Boo is pretty good in GC MT, I don't know where this whole idea that he is bad came from.
he gave it to me until u guys ruined it :mad:

Max?

Smash Champion
Alright alright fine. Let's talk about real **** then.

DK vs. Fox.

How do you not get *****?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
DD/WD (pivot them so your back is to them at all times, IF YOU INCORPORATE THIS YOU WILL LEVEL UP 300 TIMES WITH DK) space bair forever, pivot FH waveland on platforms -> bair, hope they don't know the MU or you're better than them.
when they're shield pressuring and you've been hit twice or more (read: you haven't been successful in reading their shield pressure & getting a shieldgrab) switch to lightshield shield + shield DI away and buffer roll away. Up-B OoS is only viable against Fox if he's hitting the back of your shield; do not sit in your shield forever trying to get a shieldgrab or upb you'll just get hit or grabbed.

Get a ~70%+ conversion rate on edgeguards to deaths. If you mess up too many edgeguards you lose the game. Pay attention to their spacing before they sideb & up-b; many spacie players even the good ones have readable patterns on their recovery in how they space & what option they're going to choose. On sweetspot sideb space dtilt (if you're there in time), on above the stage sideb you need to get a spaced bair (Depending on their spacing it CAN be impossible to hit them out of sideb w/ bair because sideb moves pretty far each frame, but you can do it in most cases). Even if you get a weak bair it's good if you force them to recover low you have a free ledgedrop upb or bair.

ALSO platform wavelands during uthrow combos on platform stages are GAMECHANGING it turns otherwise maybe ~20% damage combos (at 0 u uthrow, techchase uair and then they're free...) into almost guaranteed 50%+ combos if you get good enough I've even 0-death'd spacies on platform stages before w/o gimps.

Dair is really good against Fox on hit but don't fish for it. Same with meteor fair while they're grounded. Also there's a certain part of dair's hitbox that does 13% damage instead of 16%; since damage of hitbox goes into the KB calculation it combos into upsmash for WAY longer and can grant you kills even at 120ish or so where you're stuck bairing or uairing and pressing your hope button.
If they're by the ledge and you tilt their shield or something you can downb to push them off. Pressure at the ledge is good against almost every character so this is good for you. It's really situational though and if they don't shield it they just get hurt 10ish and then get away cuz downb sucks.

Posting this so I can add on to it so I don't lose it

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
is cargo jump fthrow into fair vs marth viable at any percent?

i think i saw it on some old pc chris vs cort video and always wondered if it really worked

Edit::

... or was it cargo jump bthrow fair...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You mean cargo bthrow. the drunk vid from 2007 i think on stadium

yes it's viable if they DI up it works at ~90ish % or so. I'd probably prefer standard cargo uthrow uair, or uthrow dj fair.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
aight i can stand the bull**** tristate mario tennis invasion, but nagace i would appreciate it if u wouldn't post in my thread.
What? I dont know what i did to offend you. Would u mind telling me b/c i dont remember ever doing anything to cause this type of post from u

:phone:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Dair is really good against Fox on hit but don't fish for it. Same with meteor fair while they're grounded. Also there's a certain part of dair's hitbox that does 13% damage instead of 16%; since damage of hitbox goes into the KB calculation it combos into upsmash for WAY longer and can grant you kills even at 120ish or so where you're stuck bairing or uairing and pressing your hope button.
If they're by the ledge and you tilt their shield or something you can downb to push them off. Pressure at the ledge is good against almost every character so this is good for you. It's really situational though and if they don't shield it they just get hurt 10ish and then get away cuz downb suckst
What's "KB"?

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
Fox is obviously tough, but is definitely a doable matchup. Falco is harder because of those mean ol' lazorz but my question is what can possibly be done against a good Peach?

Top Bottom