• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

Max?

Smash Champion
Switch to Fox, or if it's armada go Puff, but make sure you're good at the Y.Link matchup.

Too bad DK gets ***** by Y.Link

phish-it

Smash Champion
Peach gets by with alot of bull**** with her high priority exploiting DK's hugeness. Seriously if she downsmashes your shield you can't jump out of it and d-air her without stepping on her dress and trading hits. If the peach player doesn't know the matchup it can be doable but if they do then it is just annoying to play.

Max?

Smash Champion
Y. Link is really good vs. fat/slow characters. DK happens to be both and he has a small shield. Everything Y.Link does turns DK around, typically he needs to be facing backwards to be effective so that's a big problem. Y.Link can just run away and be annoying forever.

It's tough

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
But what other heavyweights are there? Bowser, Ganon, Link... maybe C.Falcz. And aside from Bowser, who is an idiot, they all have better options than DK. Ganon has more quick moves, and has that insane stomp and jab and a more useful fair. Link has a million billion projectiles. DK can be quick, but you really have to be spot on with all of your ****. He is fat. His shield sucks and his dodges also suck. But when you win with him, it's so gratifying. And his combos can be sneakyy.

CptDiabetes

Smash Cadet
i think the dk v y link match should be in dks favor; more reach, just get him off the edge then drop more bairs.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Being shieldstabbed as DK is like 2007 stuff. Start lightshielding fool.

Max?

Smash Champion
Sorry Strongbad, that matchup is not good at all. Y. Link runs circles around DK, projectile camping is hard for DK to deal with, DK's combo/grab game on Y.Link is not that hot, everything Y.Link does turns DK around so he can't bair. What good Y.Links have you played that make you feel otherwise?

Also, if you have to outplay someone to win, that == a bad matchup

Ex: Marth can beat Sheik, you just gotta out play them. Look at Niko vs Ice

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There was a YL that lived in KC and made bracket at a 100+ tourney here in the MW that I played a lot. Bair the boomerangs and jump over bombs and it's really not that bad. I honestly don't think projectile camping works as well against DK as a lot of people seem to think.

Outplay someone to win = even or worse MU

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Oh my god what the **** this is what I did
Dreamland, left platform.
Dthrow falcon to the left.
Drop through giant punch
edgehog

Kill at 40%

Loser's Finals
loool nothing cool I do is ever recorded -_-

Max?

Smash Champion
Phish-it got 5th at a big NE tourney today. Beat Banks (a sheik main) and had close *** sets with Zoso and Swift. Dude's a monster.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
There was a YL that lived in KC and made bracket at a 100+ tourney here in the MW that I played a lot. Bair the boomerangs and jump over bombs and it's really not that bad. I honestly don't think projectile camping works as well against DK as a lot of people seem to think.
If projectile camping worked so well against DK, then Samus vs DK wouldn't be an even MU anymore.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Samus' defensive game is her biggest asset in most MUs and it's a little mitigated that DK can get ~23% ish out of a grab at almost any percent. Can't CC grabs bro. Otherwise typical bair spacing and mixups like in all floaty matchups.

Speaking of which, played darkatma's Peach in tourney yesterday. Game 2 I just failed hard, Game 3 I won, games 1 & 2 were both last hit. I think I'm getting some much needed experience against floaty characters lately. I think only the really good Peach players could beat me at this point if I'm playing well. VanZ/MacD/AR/darkatma/the usual.

**** Jigglypuff btw

I might be quitting this game soon though. It depends on how well I do at SMYM

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
why are you quitting, strongbad?

seems like you're starting to improve at a fast rate

thats when most people should keep playing imo

who knows you might be the next best dk

Max?

Smash Champion
Pretty sure Phish-it or Kwan are the best active DKs atm. My vote goes to Phish because he has more impressive tourney W's and is more active. Strongbad is def close, but he didn't make round 2 pools at Apex :(

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yeah my performance at APEX was really horrible. I didn't perform where it counted so I don't mind if people say that Phish/Kwan/RockCrock/Nedech > me right now. If I'm still around I'll do what I can to make the next national & do well.

I might be quitting because of life issues and such. As much as I love Melee there is not significant money to be made in it. I'll see where my life's at in a month or two. I want to keep playing if I can though. If I'm able to get a decent job by April I think I'll be able to. Unfortunately my crew isn't really down to travel very far so much of my traveling will have to be by bus on my own like APEX which was really brutal (both because traveling takes forever and sucks and on my wallet)

Max?

Smash Champion
Understandable Strong_bad. Take care of your life first, melee comes second. I would say, don't play this game for money, if you are, you are playing it for the wrong reason.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Understandable Strong_bad. Take care of your life first, melee comes second. I would say, don't play this game for money, if you are, you are playing it for the wrong reason.
So true. The reason the tournament yesterday was great was because people actually were having fun playing/ hanging out. When people like M2K/Jman **** people and say they only play for the money anymore, it really brings down the atmosphere. Playing solely for money is just stressful and you won't have fun playing anymore. It's not even reliable and you'll make more consistent income at a minimum wage part time job.

And Strong Bad if you still love the game then don't worry about it, the game will still be here once you find a job.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lol I've never tried to use melee as a source of income. i gain some spending money from locals (~$200-250 within the past 3 months?) but nothing substantial.

Max?

Smash Champion
When you present it as "look at this immaculate combo", when it was really your opponent being a scrub, I'mma call it out

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
there are tons of illegitimate combos that work due to reads and not hitstun. yeah, he could have gotten out via fair, or even by DIing out instead of in, but the same could be said for a ton of things. so just be entertained by cargo bthrow -> fair working cuz that's the point of such a combo lol

EDIT: How I play the ICs matchup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5roo0jnV9PE
Got a lot to work on tho

phish-it

Smash Champion
Someone was asking about Cargo Bthrow to Fair on Marth?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iozziODz958#t=11m30s

sup
That was awesome

Some tips vs Ice Climbers:

If you get grabbed, you get *****,. Platform camp too, don't try to approach them on the open ground.

When they are together, I like to rely on 3 moves. Back-air, Charged punch, Down B.

Back air is obvious, the punch disrupts slower characters approach and it's one of the few moves you can safely hit their shield with. Down B, I didn't see you use it at all but it is amazing in this matchup,

Ice Climbers have good ground mobility but not so much in the air and they can't freely wavedash in on your down B and it seperates them easily, and in the air for up-ar ****. They can still jump in a hit you with blizzard out of it, but is an excellent way to control space.

Grab less (when they are together), f-smash less, f-tilt/d-tilt are good when they are not at low percent also.

Top Bottom