• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
ya i hate it when ill cargo uthrow them and full hop dk punch and they'll fly upwards.

anyways, about the uthrow > headbut combo, i cant seem to get the timing down. I got that u dont need to l-cancel, but i try do to the combo but i cant get the second headbutt in. they jump away right as im jumping up to headbutt. Mexican, do u use the cstick to do the headbutt or upA?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
c-stick
make sure you're fastfalling
make sure you dash before you shorthop
it isn't actually a true combo if they DI correctly; you may be forced to bair them at times.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
ya i hate it when ill cargo uthrow them and full hop dk punch and they'll fly upwards.

anyways, about the uthrow > headbut combo, i cant seem to get the timing down. I got that u dont need to l-cancel, but i try do to the combo but i cant get the second headbutt in. they jump away right as im jumping up to headbutt. Mexican, do u use the cstick to do the headbutt or upA?
For the best results, the way I personally do it is at a grab at 0, short hop, u throw, u air, regrab. Now, short hop u throw, u air, u air, regrab. Now, u throw from the ground, u air and use your best judgement if it's a good time for a giant punch or not.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Neither hit's straight up generally. They only go straight up when they get hit with the back part of the giant punch. It's just a lot stronger when it's 9/9.5

Gotta love that move. I think it's the strongest vertical knockback hit in the game.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
base knockback: 15
knockback growth: 100

how much damage does reverse 9.5 punch do?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
DK's character file from Melee.
it might not be accurate for 9.5 punch because the damage on reverse says 12. I'm assuming that scales, and thus the KB values might also scale.

But normal, fully charged is like this:

Reverse:
Angle: 80
Base knockback: 40
Damage: 18
Knockback Growth: 90

Normal:
Angle: 361 (an interesting angle; it translates to roughly 37 degrees)
Base Knockback: 10
Damage: 30
Kncokback Growth: 90

because knockback is calculated after the move's damage is taken, the greater damage of normal is the main reason it's so much more powerful than reverse.

interesting: on fully charged Giant Punch only, the frame the hitbox comes out (frame 17), he is completely invincible, in the intangible fashion (as in, characters can't even hit him to have hitlag).

I should seriously make a guide with this ****, it's important.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
whenever I see posts on frame data, i just skip over it because most of it is useless, and like most of the time knowing frame data doesn't really make you a better player.

that being said

i finally played mexican again today, outta being town for a long long time.

that mother ****er got good at this game.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
....but I only mentioned 1 thing about frames. the **** is wrong with you Joseph

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
lol that just goes to show that whenever i see numbers or anything of the sort that resembles frames, i just completely skip over the post.

frames are for nibzzzzzzzzzz.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lol that just goes to show that whenever i see numbers or anything of the sort that resembles frames, i just completely skip over the post.

frames are for nibzzzzzzzzzz.
there is nothing harmful about knowing frame data. In fact, unless you know frame data, you're pretty much screwed in most fighting games.

so anyway today i was getting 1 & 2-stocked by darkrain
instead of completely *****

i guess im doing ok

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
The next major west coast tournament, more of you guys should try and make plans to show up to. I don't get to go to tournaments very often, but something like Genesis 2, I'd never miss. It'd be nice to see what kinda talent there is out there and how I stack up to the other DKs out there. Maybe I could even learn a few things from you guys, and of course, maybe you guys could learn a thing or two from me.

otg

Smash Master
Kwan is probably the best DK I've played, and I say that after playing Bum and phish and a few less known DK players around here. Niko also claims he's better then crock after playing with him at ROM3.

Niko45

Smash Master
I actually was forgetting about RockCrock when I said Kwan was the best DK I'd ever played. For the record I think RockCrock is significantly better, not to take away from Kwan at all but RC is just that good.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Damn has Kwan picked it up? He said he was inactive for a year before ROM.

Also, Mexican are you going to pound?

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Kwan is probably the best DK I've played, and I say that after playing Bum and phish and a few less known DK players around here. Niko also claims he's better then crock after playing with him at ROM3.
Can't say on how Phish rates, but the game has evolved significantly since the days of Bum. There are quite a few DK's out there that are better now than Bum was.

I actually was forgetting about RockCrock when I said Kwan was the best DK I'd ever played. For the record I think RockCrock is significantly better, not to take away from Kwan at all but RC is just that good.
Never played either. I want to see how I stack up against both of them.

Damn has Kwan picked it up? He said he was inactive for a year before ROM.

Also, Mexican are you going to pound?
Not likely. I can't afford to travel for tournaments. Hell, i barely even can afford to go to the local ones. lol

whats good dk players, money match at genesis 2?!?!

any amount you're willing to go! (actually not more than 5 dollars cus im one broke mofo ^_^)
I'll take that bet. $5 mm jr? lol

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
DK dittos are terrible. It's not so much that I want to play them, it's moreso that i want to play the people that they always play, and vice versa. Like...i'm completely confident that KFC will beat any DK player, but by the same token, I'm sure RockCrock and Kwan have a few people that they feel the same way about. So i'd have to beat those people, or RC or Kwan would have to beat KFC. At least that's how I'd see how I stack up against them. Having a DK ditto proves nothing imo

Niko45

Smash Master
I mean, I'd say it proves *something.* Just like anybody playing anybody, winning the 1v1 doesn't mean you are necessarily the better overall player since there are tons of styles and matchups to learn how to play against. There are plenty of cases of this. But what it would prove is who wins directly one on one with both playing their best characters.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I mean, I'd say it proves *something.* Just like anybody playing anybody, winning the 1v1 doesn't mean you are necessarily the better overall player since there are tons of styles and matchups to learn how to play against. There are plenty of cases of this. But what it would prove is who wins directly one on one with both playing their best characters.
KFC has 3 stocked me in a DK ditto before...He doesn't even have a DK. Dittos don't mean much to me. hahaha. But vs another DK is one of my personal worst matchups. lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
you best hope you don't have to play me first round of brackets at Genesis 2 then.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I counterpicked the few DK players I've faced with Falco, even casuals

I don't give a **** :) I hate DK dittos too much

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Btw NJ, Those matches got uploaded awhile back. I would list them all out again, but I'm lazy. lol. Just search mexican dk vs and go to most recent videos and i think against some random samus player is the first match from that tournament i had, and the set against the ic's is the grand finals (which i lost =( lol). I beat that ganon that i lost to in grand finals last time though...and lost to the ic's i beat in the grand finals the other time?....lol

Top Bottom