• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

Foy

Smash Champion
Jaime. I might be going to Genesis 2. And your dk is better then kwans. I almost beat kwans in tournament last tournament i played him at. But i didnt, be playing your dk and then his dk, you are better. Cause you are green, and you have a dk tie.

Nuff said.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Alright here is the 'Legend of Blue DKs (phonetically 'deeks') '. The Dk's are a graceful and peaceful race. They all live under Blue Dk's law for you see he is the strongest DKs. Why? His arms are stronger after years of underwater training, and as a result he can throw and monkey copter better than the rest of the DK's.

Red DK punches harder, Brown DK is just your average banana hunting chum, green dk is stoner/sickly dks, and the strangest one of all is Black Dks... the betrayer. You see, Betrayer DKs is the only one who can stand up to Blue Dk's... but only when the other kongs align behind him. One day the two went head to head, but in the end Blue Dk's BFDD (donkey punch/big floppy donkey ****) proved to be the mightiest. Since that day, Blue Dk's has continued his quest to find his bananas. So let it be known: Blue DK = Top tirez.

I wish the actual creator of this story would come and give his rendition as it is far superior to mine. And yes I know that just because he's Blue doesn't make him better than the other DKs.
eh heh heh

otg

Smash Master
Mexican, stay as far away from that thread as possible. It's only at page 2 (at 40ppp) and it's already going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay downhill. The Melee community should just give up on a matchup chart, it's easily the most pointless endeavor in our scene.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
ok guys.... I'm back into Melee.

Why? I got bored of camping fighting Kirbys in Smash64 and I finally got my friends to start playing it again (NJ is mostly a Brawl state).

Unfortunately all 3 of them are techy Falcos and they piss me the **** off cause they even camp in friendlies lol.

I WILL update the video thread, however, just tell me newer vids what to look for that were already posted. So far I think there's like, Mexican vs M2K and new Nedech videos.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
^ Now I just use Pikachu and faceroll haha

Btw, guys, I got knocked out of a tourney to a non-DK main using DK. I went Falco since I refused to do a DK ditto.

How bad am I on a 1-10 scale?

otg

Smash Master
Dammit NJz, after all the **** talk we've exchanged over the last few years you finally go to a No Johns that I don't go to. I wanted to **** you....

Oh well, are you around full time now or only for the break?

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
DK dittos are stupid...I don't blame you for counterpicking. I would probably just go sheik on another dk. lol. I don't have the tech skill to use falco. lol

Smash Rookie
Hi all, I just recently picked up a copy of Melee and I occasionally play with friends just for fun. I'm not a competitive player so I think that basically sums up my skill level.

Now that I've kind of gotten into the game, I've found myself playing DK a lot. He's a fun character to use, but I do have a couple of questions about his aerials.

1. How exactly does one get used to using DK's Fair? I know it's in the timing, but I can never find myself executing it properly in the middle of a battle, or even hitting the enemy for that matter.

2. Is there any way for DK to execute his Dair...quicker? Whenever I use it in a fight, the animation for his Dair always seems to be painfully slow. He never seems to stick his legs out fast enough to spike an enemy in mid-air. For me at least. I'm probably just using it wrong. His Dair in 64 seemed much funner and easier to use.

3. And what moves of his can you L-Cancel out of? Can I L-Cancel out of a terribly timed Fair and recover quickly before I get terribly punished by my friend's Fox? Is it even called "L-Cancel"? Am I throwing that term around incorrectly?

I've just kind of been curious about these little things. And I really hate being the worst player in my group of..."scrubs". Is that what non-competitive players are called?

On a side note, where would I go on the forums here to find people in my community who are actually knowledgeable about how the game works on a competitive level and would maybe be willing to teach me? I mean, it's not that I'll ever be good enough to be a competitive player, but I just don't want to completely suck.

Thanks for the help.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Hi all, I just recently picked up a copy of Melee and I occasionally play with friends just for fun. I'm not a competitive player so I think that basically sums up my skill level.
Congratulations on finding a rare game! I'm no Mexican, but I'll do my best to help you out.

Now that I've kind of gotten into the game, I've found myself playing DK a lot. He's a fun character to use, but I do have a couple of questions about his aerials.

1. How exactly does one get used to using DK's Fair? I know it's in the timing, but I can never find myself executing it properly in the middle of a battle, or even hitting the enemy for that matter.
Like Mario's and Yoshi's, it takes time and practice to get used to this. His fair is kind of slow to the point that if you use it close enough to the ground, it never really hits. You have to jump high enough for it to actually work correctly. And because DK's fair has long range, you don't necessarily need to get too close to your opponent. A more preferred aerial would probably be bair.

2. Is there any way for DK to execute his Dair...quicker? Whenever I use it in a fight, the animation for his Dair always seems to be painfully slow. He never seems to stick his legs out fast enough to spike an enemy in mid-air. For me at least. I'm probably just using it wrong. His Dair in 64 seemed much funner and easier to use.
There isn't any way to make his dair quicker unfortunately. However, you can rise your dair when you jump. Ness has a similar issue with his dair. I believe on stage that you should jump just above your opponents body size so you can accurately aim it and make it effective. If you're getting hit into the air and you're coming back down hoping to hit your opponent with dair, I wouldn't make that attempt unless you know for a fact that all other options are out of the question. You usually want to move away from your opponent instead of trying to hit him with your dair. If you want it to make his dair effective, try to time when you should throw it out there so that you may actually land the attack.

3. And what moves of his can you L-Cancel out of? Can I L-Cancel out of a terribly timed Fair and recover quickly before I get terribly punished by my friend's Fox? Is it even called "L-Cancel"? Am I throwing that term around incorrectly?
L-Canceling cuts your frames by half. It only works for aerials. B specials in the air cannot be canceled. What it is is a technique where just before you land onto the ground during an aerial, you can press either L, R, or Z to cancel the attack when you land on the ground. So a terribly timed fair can be recovered quickly. That is if you actually threw the attack out. The L in L-Cancel simply means "lag cancel".

To see this easily, take out Bowser in Training Mode and use his bair. Once you use his bair, about midway before touching the ground, press either L, R, or Z. Bowser will roll up off his back in a quick pace. Or you can choose Link or Young Link and use their dair and L-Cancel it. The blade they stab into the ground comes out a lot quicker than normal. Whichever button you're comfortable with or you block with, use it before touching the ground during the aerial attack. It doesn't matter what point you use it during the aerial, just as long as the aerial attack is being used and as long as you cancel it before touching the ground.

I've just kind of been curious about these little things. And I really hate being the worst player in my group of..."scrubs". Is that what non-competitive players are called?
A scrub is someone who complains about how the other player is playing. Say I used PK Thunder on you a bunch of times, and I wouldn't stop. This is something we call "spamming". But let's say I kept attacking you with PK Thunder and you started to call me a cheater or complain about how I was playing. You'd be called a scrub for doing so. A n00b is someone who is new to the game. It's not really much of an insult if you ask me. My definitions may be different from other players, but this is the way I see it.

On a side note, where would I go on the forums here to find people in my community who are actually knowledgeable about how the game works on a competitive level and would maybe be willing to teach me? I mean, it's not that I'll ever be good enough to be a competitive player, but I just don't want to completely suck.

Thanks for the help.
For Donkey Kong, you'd go to the Character Specifics > Donkey Kong. For competitive level, probably General Melee or whatever. Brawl itself has taken over, so Melee doesn't get much room I guess. There are still people who play it, though, such as myself. No one can physically teach you to play the game unless you know some good players. But there is a source in which can help you become a better player. I used these three videos to help me out since nobody else could:

Advanced How To Play (SSBM) Part 1
Advanced How To Play (SSBM) Part 2
Advanced how To Play (SSBM) Part 3

I'm going to tell you now, that when you get to the part about Wavedashing, go ahead and follow it the way they say it. However, once you feel you got it down, try holding the analog stick down at a left or right angle, jump, and then press either L or R (whichever one you shield with the most). You'll be able to skim right past the stages. When practicing wavedashing, however, I'm going to suggest you either use Luigi, or go to Corneria with DK and wavedash up the fin of the ship, or both Luigi and on Corneria. That's how I first started. It gets easy after a long while if you continuously practice. But don't rely solely on Corneria alone. Try flat stages like Battlefield, Fountain of Dreams, or Final Destination.

Anyway, don't belittle yourself. Have confidence, believe you can win, and keep a positive mindset. It really helps. Especially if you really want to win. Oh, and one more thing. Learn to space yourself so you can avoid taking a lot of damage.

Smash Rookie
Thank you for the feedback and various pieces of information. I appreciate it.

Although, about the lag cancelling, that only cancels the lag at the end of an aerial right? Kind of like teching right before you hit the ground after taking a hit right? My earlier question was actually referring to whether you could completely stop an aerial mid-animation. But I doubt that there is.

I've also stumbled upon people talking about DK's Up B sweet spot. Is this sweet spot referring to when you execute DK's Up B on the ground, and right before DK starts spinning, he swings his arm to slap his opponent? I've seen videos of Bum using just this single smack to knock an opponent off the stage. How would one maximize the potential of this sweet spot? Is the damage based on which part of the body you hit, or on the timing?

And other than wavedashing and ShFfLing, how do competitive DK players move their characters around the stage so...fluidly? I'm slowly incorporating ShFfLing into my movements, but I'm still very slow.

Would you ever ShFfL Dk's Dair? I mean, since his Dair animation is so slow, how would executing the move closer to the ground be an effective choice in combat?

Uffe

Smash Hero
Thank you for the feedback and various pieces of information. I appreciate it.

Although, about the lag cancelling, that only cancels the lag at the end of an aerial right? Kind of like teching right before you hit the ground after taking a hit right? My earlier question was actually referring to whether you could completely stop an aerial mid-animation. But I doubt that there is.
As long as the aerial is in effect, you can cancel it midway through the attack. Or you can use the whole effect of the aerial and cancel it. I guess you can say it's kind of like teching, but it requires different timing. And to answer your question from earlier, you can't stop an attack completely through mid-animation while you're in the air.

I've also stumbled upon people talking about DK's Up B sweet spot. Is this sweet spot referring to when you execute DK's Up B on the ground, and right before DK starts spinning, he swings his arm to slap his opponent? I've seen videos of Bum using just this single smack to knock an opponent off the stage. How would one maximize the potential of this sweet spot? Is the damage based on which part of the body you hit, or on the timing?
I'm not sure what part of DK's Up + B does the most damage or knockback, but your opponent probably has to be close since his Up + B usually shoves his opponent and gives multiple hits. It may possibly be only the top of DK's Up + B, or when the opponent is really close to him.

And other than wavedashing and ShFfLing, how do competitive DK players move their characters around the stage so...fluidly? I'm slowly incorporating ShFfLing into my movements, but I'm still very slow.
To move "fluidly" as you put it, requires wavedashing and SHFFLing. For DK, probably more SHFFLing.

Would you ever ShFfL Dk's Dair? I mean, since his Dair animation is so slow, how would executing the move closer to the ground be an effective choice in combat?
Dair is probably best off stage for your opponent. But not to the point you end up killing yourself in the process. However, I wouldn't say that it is completely useless on stage. I wouldn't really use DK's dair close to the ground if it lags like a *****. Excuse my language, but honestly, you're better off using it with a higher jump. I would use DK's uair and bair more often, though. When you learn to SHFFL correctly, his uair comes in handy. A lot more than his dair or fair. But don't simply dismiss those attacks.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
so I played against Mew2King's Sheik a bit in friendlies at Pound 5 and he CG'd me just like he CG'd you, MEXICAN.
after two games of trying various DI, I turned to him and asked "How am I supposed to DI during that?"
he paused for a moment and then said "You're ****ed." I started laughing and he's just like "Is that funny? D:", not realizing how hilarious that response is...

Also, Phish-It witnessed this nonsense:
Side-B, Dash forward -> JC Upsmash combo.
works if they jump out of it. requires a read. if they jump left or right, Dsmash catches them. if they don't jump, grab can catch most of them but you might get shined/bair'd by Fox/Falco
I have to test this more lmao.

I'll post some more nonsense later.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah i mean that does damage but when they get out they have a free **** ticket against DK.

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Beginner tech question: I have trouble ledge hopping f-air. Do you guys c-stick the f-air, or find regular stick easier? (and which buttons for the jump too, for that matter?)

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Beginner tech question: I have trouble ledge hopping f-air. Do you guys c-stick the f-air, or find regular stick easier? (and which buttons for the jump too, for that matter?)
The regular stick is easier to do the f air. You can't fast fall it at all or it won't come out either btw. I do f air all the time from the ledge, but it's out of habit. It really isn't a very good option from the ledge. Below 100 damage, the regular get up attack is usually a decent choice. Over 100, ledge hop wavedash onto the stage might be a better choice.

On a side note, i haven't played smash in quite awhile, but i'm heading to Socal next week with Darkmike to visit KFC. Hopefully we can get some matches recorded. I'll let you guys know if we do.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
ledgehop waveland is beastly with like just about any character.
ledgehop fair is mostly useful on a sheik or marth recovering to a side plat on Yoshi's Story and maybe Battlefield (haven't tested) for when ledgehop dair or ledgehop grab won't work.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
The regular stick is easier to do the f air. You can't fast fall it at all or it won't come out either btw. I do f air all the time from the ledge, but it's out of habit. It really isn't a very good option from the ledge. Below 100 damage, the regular get up attack is usually a decent choice. Over 100, ledge hop wavedash onto the stage might be a better choice.

On a side note, i haven't played smash in quite awhile, but i'm heading to Socal next week with Darkmike to visit KFC. Hopefully we can get some matches recorded. I'll let you guys know if we do.
hey jaime ive been trying to call you but my phone is ridiculous and won't let me call anybody.

the only TV i have is a bigass laggy hd tv that my brother in law uses 24/7 for his computer, and theres no convincing him to stop using his computer...

so basically i dont have a tv that we can play smash on >_>

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
hey jaime ive been trying to call you but my phone is ridiculous and won't let me call anybody.

the only TV i have is a bigass laggy hd tv that my brother in law uses 24/7 for his computer, and theres no convincing him to stop using his computer...

so basically i dont have a tv that we can play smash on >_>
You best check craigslist for someone selling a tiny tv for 10 bucks or something. lol. Either that or we're going to one of your smash friends houses to play

Dimitris

Smash Ace
You can still select the old forum skin in your options.

ledgehop waveland is beastly with like just about any character.
ledgehop fair is mostly useful on a sheik or marth recovering to a side plat on Yoshi's Story and maybe Battlefield (haven't tested) for when ledgehop dair or ledgehop grab won't work.
Thanks for this too. I'm learning here. I should use ledgehop dair a lot more.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
MEXICAN is, since he lives like 2 hrs away or something.
I'm planning on going.

Top Bottom