• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Mexican needs in MBR

Btw Strong Bad, do your mod powers let you edit posts and stuff? Yes, this kinda relates to the video thread lolz.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I can.................... if you're going to try to shirk the responsibility of updating it onto me, though, that probably isn't happening.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Mexican, you gotta be like me and counterpick Falcos with Y.Link.
lol, i don't counterpick anybody. DK all dai! lol. I've counterpicked a few times in the past, but not for a long time, and not going to happen again. If i get obliterated, I get obliterated as a DK main, same as i'd win as a DK main

otg

Smash Master
Alright, so I wanna share some stupid DK tricks I've been janking on recently.

Cargo Dthrow at the ledge is pretty ****ing good vs. a lot of characters. One thing I like to do vs. spacies (in particular fox) who like to illusion to the edge a lot, is dthrow -> dtilt the illusion and then dropzone Dair. **** is dumb.

Another setup I like is if I land a grab really close to a platform or if I can set up a grab via tech chase or something on platform vs. spacies, cargo, go to the side of the platform closest towards the edge and uthrow. If they DI towards the middle of the stage, just regrab and if they DI out or don't DI just giant punch or upB them. Pretty free.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Yeah, Cargo Dthrow at the ledge is amazing. I wrote like, a mini guide to how bad it ****s up Sheik/Falcon/Ganon (like, say goodbye to your stock) somewhere here lol.

otg

Smash Master
Yeah, Cargo Dthrow at the ledge is amazing. I wrote like, a mini guide to how bad it ****s up Sheik/Falcon/Ganon (like, say goodbye to your stock) somewhere here lol.
I remember that. I really don't play DK vs. anyone but other mid/low tiers, spacies and Marth, so I haven't actually tried it vs. any of those characters. It's not terrible vs. Marth.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
You can also grab spacies, walk them to the very edge and just stand there as they try to shake out. When they shake out really fast, you just keep pressing a and you'll jab them and they'll miss the ledge and have to recover at a bad angle and you can get a giant punch or d air off on them. lol

otg

Smash Master
You can also grab spacies, walk them to the very edge and just stand there as they try to shake out. When they shake out really fast, you just keep pressing a and you'll jab them and they'll miss the ledge and have to recover at a bad angle and you can get a giant punch or d air off on them. lol
That's an interesting trick, I'll try it out. When they shake out do they always fall off stage or can they DI behind you from the break out?

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
to do the headbutt combo, what buttons do u use?

I try doing c-stick up, fastfall, l cancel but havent gotten it down yet. Do u use A or c stick, and also, do u fast fall?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
MEXICAN has answered this 800 times so I'll do it for him. If you're L-canceling while doing uair juggles, you're doing it wrong. The move auto cancels even if you fastfall on the first possible frame. People inputting the l-cancel and in turn causing more technical strain for themselves is usually the main issue people encounter when learning uair juggling.

Dudey

Smash Rookie
Hey Mexican, my mate keeps whipping my DK with his Ice Climbers. Do you have any tips for this match up?

Since most conventional DK strategies don't work I've been trying to divide and conquer. Basically back throws in opposite directions followed by a d air spike. But I could really use some other techniques. Thanks alot!

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
You don't want to be on the ground too much in that matchup because ICs' jab/grab/d-smash will destroy you. You want to space bairs. And yea ... once you get them apart, try to keep them that way. On the ground, f-tilt, d-tilt, and surprisingly down-b are pretty decent. Grab whenever you get the chance obviously but be aware that you can only grab one of them, and the other always may have a chance to hit you still.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Don't try to divide and conquer. That's other characters' game. With DK, Giant punch and b air ****. Spamming b airs is the biggest thing you want to do. If you get Nana alone, you can grab her, jump off stage, and forward throw her, and she can't recover by herself. If you get popo alone, IC's are too used to not getting grabbed and they approach in their shields a lot, so look for grabs. Down b is good for messing up their approach every once in awhile too. And like they said, don't stay on the ground too much. Try to stay in the air and b air whenever they approach. Oh yeah, and one other thing, do your best to not approach them, let them try to approach you.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
hardest part about fighting IC's (or as DK in general) is not approaching. it's so tempting to just run in with a grab or fair or some crazy ****, but you seriously need to space bairs and predict into giant punches if you want to have any hope of winning.

otg

Smash Master
I mean, I **** him viciously because DK is bad and I know how to fight him, but man watching him vs. good people who don't know the matchup is ****. He ****ed up D1 yesterday and took games off Hax in tourney. Mad respect.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
When i'm not being lazy, I'm going to go into detail about the advantages of both a fully charged giant punch, and a 9/9.5 swing charged giant punch. But just as a general, non detailed version, everybody already knows the advantages of a fully charged. The invincibility frame, the stupidly good range, the stupidly good knockback, etc. However, most people don't know that 9 charge has some things OVER a fully charged. Like for one, it has more knockback than a fully charged, and the back part of the giant punch will do 28 damage, as opposed to the 16 damage done when it's fully charged. I'll also tell you why the 9 charge is great for mindgames too. Maybe i should make a separate thread for this though so it doesn't just get lost with all of the random other advice i give on here...lol. Maybe i'll be motivated enough one day to make a full fledged guide to dk to replace the horribly out of date one we have now. lol

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Haha I guess one of the advantages is that people won't suspect a 9 charged punch to kill them or at least won't realize how powerful of a hit you have in stock. Heehee...

Top Bottom