• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
So today I played the same Falcon as before. At the start it was fine, we went fairly even, but gradually he started beating me more and more often, I got frustrated and didn't know what to do. At the end of they day, I recorded some matches, which I probably will have up tomorrow.

The problem I have with Falcon is that you're basically dead if he grabs you at 100%. The other problem is his B-air. I really don't know how to to get around it, it trades hits with my own B-air, but I'm too slow to get back into a good position after it. It also ***** me when recovering and basically anywhere else.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
So today I played the same Falcon as before. At the start it was fine, we went fairly even, but gradually he started beating me more and more often, I got frustrated and didn't know what to do. At the end of they day, I recorded some matches, which I probably will have up tomorrow.

The problem I have with Falcon is that you're basically dead if he grabs you at 100%. The other problem is his B-air. I really don't know how to to get around it, it trades hits with my own B-air, but I'm too slow to get back into a good position after it. It also ***** me when recovering and basically anywhere else.
Yeah...there's not a whole lot you can do if you get grabbed over 100 percent, but at the same time, it kinda also holds true for him if you grab him over 100 percent. And the best chance you have at surviving is to di away and do your up b as quickly as possible. It can sometimes disrupt the knee before it comes out. It won't work everytime, but it forces the falcon to be perfect, and if he's not, then you can escape. See bum vs isai. As far as his b air, try and bait him with empty short hops or even full jumps, but stay far enough back that you won't get hit by it, as soon as you see him go up, try and get under him with an u air or predict him throwing out another b air on his way down and go for the shield grab. The best he can do is move away, because he can't punish your shield grab. He might try a forward b though, but most likely he'll run/roll away, being that that would be his safest option

DK vs. Falcon is horrible.
Its one of my favorite matches. lol. Both characters can combo the crap out of each other. lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It's fairly difficult. Typically you'll want to DI down & away, but you should mix up your DI because Falcon can also tech-chase you with uthrow at lower percents. Try not to be predictable. I understand that this is easier said than done. Don't go on auto-pilot and actually think about every tech, every decision, and keep your previous techs in mind when deciding where to go. Also keep in mind that Falcon can stomp where you land if you tech in place or don't tech. The Falcon player is almost out-right guessing (granted your teching isn't predictable; remember to think) when he decides to stomp or knee, though, so you have a chance of escaping.
If you tech in place you might want to try to Up-B. If they go for a stomp/knee and you're facing the same way Falcon's facing they'll usually get hit by the strong hit. If they try to grab you without dash dancing first they'll get hit by the swinging monkey arms, in which case you can hold toward Falcon for most of it and then back off at the last second.
Otherwise you can try to light shield the stomp/knee to put some distance between you and Falcon and then you can SH Bair (this is of course assuming you're facing away from Falcon).

If you tech and end up facing toward Falcon and he's running after you about to grab you again, you can try a dtilt (make sure it hits) and then dash dance to prevent him from just grabbing you again. Then you should be out of the tech-chase.

This is stuff I've learned by playing against darkrain extensively (at least in friendlies... should still apply), so it should work well. Realistically there's no way to get out of a flawless tech-chase, but everyone makes mistakes, and even though Falcon can just dthrow tech-chase you until Uthrow -> Knee KO's, no one actually does that so when they try to Stomp or Knee where you land they're actually guessing.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Yeah...there's not a whole lot you can do if you get grabbed over 100 percent, but at the same time, it kinda also holds true for him if you grab him over 100 percent. And the best chance you have at surviving is to di away and do your up b as quickly as possible. It can sometimes disrupt the knee before it comes out. It won't work everytime, but it forces the falcon to be perfect, and if he's not, then you can escape. See bum vs isai. As far as his b air, try and bait him with empty short hops or even full jumps, but stay far enough back that you won't get hit by it, as soon as you see him go up, try and get under him with an u air or predict him throwing out another b air on his way down and go for the shield grab. The best he can do is move away, because he can't punish your shield grab. He might try a forward b though, but most likely he'll run/roll away, being that that would be his safest option
The problem here is that I am unable to combo falcon. I don't know what to do, or how to end/kill him once I grab him at 100%. How do I do kill a Falcon with a grab at 100%?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Bthrow is good. Cargo uthrow -> fair sometimes works too. If your back isn't to the ledge, and you're not confident that fair will connect, you can throw -> nair and proceed to edgeguard from there with bairs and up-b.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
At over 100% you have a ton of options against falcon. Just about all of them are out of cargo throws. Or b throw if you're facing away from the stage and are really close to the ledge. But you can go for a jump off f throw and use your second jump to n air, or just jump back and edgeguard them. You can also cargo u throw into up b or up smash. If you have a giant punch charged, that would be your best option, cargo u throw to a short hopped giant punch. Also, full jump u throw into f air also works. So you have like....4u8345hje35t499445945 options there. lol. Oh, and me personally, If i'm getting tech chased by a falcon, i will either try and make my way to the ledge, or i'll not tech and take the stomp to knee if i have to, but thats probably not wise. I just do it because its boring getting tech chased all over the stage. lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah you're doing it wrong if you're edgeguarding a sweetspotting Falcon with bair. dtilt -> grab ledge -> drop down upb-> edgehog.
The problem here is that I am unable to combo falcon. I don't know what to do, or how to end/kill him once I grab him at 100%. How do I do kill a Falcon with a grab at 100%?
first thing you do after you grab him at 100% is you pummel him. wait until you hear them struggling, then either bthrow (if you're near the ledge & facing it) or cargo uthrow -> usmash (if the stage's ceiling is low) or up-b, bair, or fair.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
Oh, and me personally, If i'm getting tech chased by a falcon, i will either try and make my way to the ledge, or i'll not tech and take the stomp to knee if i have to, but thats probably not wise. I just do it because its boring getting tech chased all over the stage. lol
HAHAHHA... that made me laugh for some reason.

jaime, i had a dream last night where you rubbed your sweetspot all over my face

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
ITT MEXICAN pretends to be a woman sometimes.

In5AnEmENTALITY 1:32 am
balls
SWF Strong Bad 1:32 am
hi
oh
lol you ****ed up my message to someone else
but hi
In5AnEmENTALITY 1:32 am
LOL
SWF Strong Bad 1:33 am
at least it was just hi
and not something else.........................
In5AnEmENTALITY 1:33 am
ya
would be ****ed up if i interrupted your cyber session
yeah man i've got 3 girls goin atm
In5AnEmENTALITY 1:33 am
lol
only 1's on webcam tho so the other 2 are probably dudes
o well
In5AnEmENTALITY 1:34 am
one of them is mexican
on his girly internet alias
SWF Strong Bad 1:34 am
i believe it
solely used for the art of cybering
his female alias is "latina"
LOL!
LMAO!
i kno rite, i was shocked 2

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
K so I got the matches of me versus my bane Falcon up. They're from quite a weird angle, but you can probably make out what it is.

P.S. yeaaah those are my feet.

Video 1
Video 2
Video 3. This is what I strive for, to do this consistently.
Video 4
Video 5
Video 7
Video 8

If you don't like the music just mute it :o
Video 6 got muted because youtube is ****ing ********, and CBA to audio-swap/reupload with another song.

I'd really love to hear some critique/advice.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
K so I got the matches of me versus my bane Falcon up. They're from quite a weird angle, but you can probably make out what it is.

P.S. yeaaah those are my feet.

Video 1
Video 2
Video 3. This is what I strive for, to do this consistently.
Video 4
Video 5
Video 7
Video 8

If you don't like the music just mute it :o
Video 6 got muted because youtube is ****ing ********, and CBA to audio-swap/reupload with another song.

I'd really love to hear some critique/advice.
I never thought i'd say this to a dk player, but you have to up b less. lol, You're doing it randomly. Try and only do it when it'll sweetspot. If you're going to space your b air, don't up b after, only up b after if you messed up your spacing and you ended up too close to them. If you b air'd at full length, dash away and either come back with another b air, or dash back and go for a grab or something, don't just up b, you won't do anything that way. I'd say use N air less and position yourself for a bair more. There are a lot of times where you were coming down and could have easily landed behind them and did a b air, but instead went straight down with a nair and got punished for it. And what the heck? lol. You're not doing combos when you get grabs. When you get a grab on falcon, that should either be a lot of damage, or a stock gone completely. lol. It looks like in general, your biggest problem is poor move choices and you just need to get more experience. lol

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Thanks for the advice. The problem with grabs and comboing is often that I can't follow their DI. I want to U-air them but they DI too far and can't continue it, or there's a platform the which they tech on and immedeatly shield, after which they jump out (when I u-air the shield)

I thought Up-B was fairly safe on shield, even if the sweetspot didn't hit, so I abused it a bit. I'll take note of it. I'm playing some more on sunday, maybe I'll get another vid or 2 up.
He plays as Marth, I'll try to focus on B-air, since that's the only move that can compete with Martha's sword <_<

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
LMAOOOOOOO shut up joe.

Use more tits!!! They're great. Running tits. Wavedash back -> tit, etc. You can outspace Marth with tits sometimes, too.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
On the rare occasion of getting a headbutt in and putting em grounded... What do you do next? They mash out of it really quickly and have invincibility :urg:

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Okay so, today I've been playing my friend's Marth all day. He's not really great, but neither am I and we went pretty even. At the start I was 2-3 stocking him a couple of times, but later he figured my DK out and went pretty even, wins going back and forth. After that I realized a bit how to play his Marth. To the end of the day I was winning nearly every match, if I didn't SD last stock. (they were all last stock wins)

Some things I noticed when playing Marths that are not amazing;

- Don't be the one to instigate. Marth loves to move and harass you with their sword, but many fail to realize that your moves just **** him when he uses them unsafely. Just charge your punch and wait for the Marth to attack your shield and mess up.

- When they grab you and F/D-throw, don't always tech.

- Near the end of the day something really great happened. I noticed how to get the Marth really scared. Once you grab him and he doesn't mash out fast, you can easily walk to the edge and cargo D-throw him off. After that, you have 2 options. First is to go walk after him and up-B him, sending him away if you hit him. This option his high risk vs high reward. The other is, after him being trough the up-B a couple of times, walking off, but jumping back immedeatly. It'll have them use their side-B and often second jump, after which they can only up-B. They either misspace (punish this with down-tilt or africa punch) or hit the ledge...

- When they're on the ledge, just stay out of their ledgejumped fair reach and they have really no options. They can ledgejump an aerial, which you can easily shield and grab him. If he tries to just stand up/roll, you can predict and punish him, or just Down-B. Jumping is easily punished by N-airing them back.

- Marths often have a predictable pattern of jumping. With my opponent it was mostly after a D-tilt. If you just stay out of range of the D-tilt, they will often jump and try to F-air. What I do is quickly do an aerial up-B and smack them for hard-ballin damage. It worked really often. Aerial up-B is not a bad move.

- Yelling "HEEERMAANOOOO" will distract the Marth, giving you time to grab him.

No videos, he'd rather not record videos :bee:

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Maaaan, why didn't I think of that. Probably because most of the time I did actually try it, he either D-tilted me first, or I D-tilted him back, him crouch canceling it and D-tilting me anyway.
It always ended up with him D-tilting me and getting a tipper.

Also, another note;
- Marth is piss easy once you avoid getting hit by F-smash, because you'll live to ridiculous percentage.

Key to the match is not getting hit by that smash <_<

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
it's actually pretty hard for marth to land a tippered Fsmash if you're doing it right

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Played again today, vs Marth went fine, went priy even which is a good thing when I just start out (to beat Marths at my level), but against Falcon it went horrible :/

I won once in a blue moon, but got 1-2 stocked the rest of the time. It was always the horrible knee. The problem here was Falcon being able to harass my shield. His ridiculous air speed enables him to jump from one end of FD to the other with a SH knee and hit my shield and land behind me (and is gone before my shield is down). OR he lands in front of me and L-cancels and I'm like "hey I can grab him" but then his **** jab is too fast and interrupts me. I'm wondering, is it even possible according to frames to grab Falcon after an L-canceled Knee on shield?
The other problem is me having trouble grabbing him. How do you grab a really technical Falcon that moves all over and moonwalks for show but still hits you with that bair + air speed ._.? Once I did grab him I could usually do something (at least better than last time), but often the problem of platforms arose, where he could just stand on, shield my U-airs, get knocked down and run away. I don't know what to do on platform stages.

Other than that, I think my techinical ability and knowledge about DK is limiting me a lot so I'll be practicing some cargo throw stuff and other things to know what to do once I am in a certain situation.

Man, it feels like this thread is a blog to me.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Falcon is annoying. You have to be really random in order to get out of his tech chases. Even then ... sometimes he just gets lucky, stomps your tech in place, then does those generic nair and uair combos that end in a knee. You almost have to be smarter than him to win, because a Falcon who is patient and just dash dances will get far more grabs than you can.

It's really important to know what beats what:

1. Your bair beats SHFFL'ed knees. (Utilt can too if you have good timing, but it's pretty risky - if he doesn't knee, he can just grab you in the lag.)
2. Dash dance grab beats his stomps.
3. Crouch cancel grab beats his nairs.

There's not really a perfect way to get around his grabs though. Just don't approach. Ftilt will hit him if he runs straight at you and grabs, but, again, he could opt instead to run at you, full jump and fast fall knee, and it'll catch you while you're ftilting the air.

If Falcon always hits you when you're running back, then you should mix it up and run through him sometimes.

Also, waveland onto platforms and bair as you dismount them. He can't grab you when you're doing this. Just be quick or you'll probably eat an uair.

Regarding knee pressure on your shield: if you light shield a knee, it pushes you back a bit more, making it harder for him to follow up with jabs.

Top Bottom