• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Dang that sucks :(

I'm the only DK player fighting for correct matchup ratios on that thread lol. It's super hard when no one knows anything about DK and just plain hate the character. Like, they'll never accept a huge fat monkey being any decent against their own character... regardless of how bad their character may be.

So, I'mma try to get madddd good at melee, no more amateur ish... wait n see!

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Sorry dude, but DK does NOT have the advantage over ic's. I didn't read a whole lot of what you wrote, but if you think DK has the advantage over ic's or puff or marth, you are very very wrong. lol. Dk does ok against those characters, and CAN win, but its definitely not easy if you play an ic's that really knows what they're doing. As for Bum vs chudat, the results might have been different if the stages were different. You gotta remember, that was ic's on jungle japes and whatnot...thats NOT ics on final d or one of the other neutral stages. I almost beat chudat a long time ago on final d at scc, but fact is that i still lost. I play choknater once in awhile (an ic's main), and i think he was replying on there, and i almost always beat him when we play, but its always close and he doesn't play as much as he used to and he's not even chudat status or anything. Its all about whether or not the ic's know the matchup.

There's 2 parts to your game when you play. Your characters strengths, and your opponents weaknesses. If you don't know the matchup, you only have your strengths. If you know the matchup, you can play to your opponents weaknesses. Thats the reason why i say falcon>DK. If falcon just plays to his strengths, a good dk has a chance at winning (reason why i was able to beat ss), if the falcon plays to dk's weaknesses more than his own strengths, dk gets beat pretty bad (reason why i lost to darkrain). We as dk players get our results, if any at all due to people not knowing the matchup for the most part. If we play someone of equal skill level or better, and they know the matchup, we're pretty much as good as done

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I think Puff and Marth are 55 for them, they don't seem that bad.

ICs, idk, I have hope for DK haha

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I already main ICs ...

I wanna pick up DK as a secondary!

I have a lot of trouble vs Falcons. I feel like whenever they force me to tech or get me in a combo, I can't get out. Any tricks for not getting hit in the first place?

I feel like I get hit too much in a neutral position. It's probably because I stay in the same place too much. Like I'll be thinking "maybe he's going to try and nair me now" and I'll CC, but then Falcon just runs up and grabs me. I guess I need to just cover multiple options, like wavedashing back AND CCing ...

God, DK is so fun though. I'm playing him vs Samus from now on. *evil laughter*

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I already main ICs ...

I wanna pick up DK as a secondary!

I have a lot of trouble vs Falcons. I feel like whenever they force me to tech or get me in a combo, I can't get out. Any tricks for not getting hit in the first place?

I feel like I get hit too much in a neutral position. It's probably because I stay in the same place too much. Like I'll be thinking "maybe he's going to try and nair me now" and I'll CC, but then Falcon just runs up and grabs me. I guess I need to just cover multiple options, like wavedashing back AND CCing ...

God, DK is so fun though. I'm playing him vs Samus from now on. *evil laughter*
An aggressive falcon is pretty easy to get, just dd and when he approaches, b air and try to grab after it. I use d tilt against falcon a lot. You can usually get a free d tilt if falcon does a jab and either messes up his gentleman or flatout doesn't even try one. After a d tilt, i'll usually jump forward and u air and for some reason it lands 75% of the time. Falcon is kinda difficult to shield grab, but he's no fox/falco, so he can occasionally be shield grabbed. D tilt is a relatively safe move to use against falcon because if he tries to run up and grab, it'll obviously disrupt that, but also because you're cc'ing and its way more difficult for him to sweetspot a knee on you if he tries to go that route...idk...i can't really describe this matchup...it just takes experience tbh. lol. Btw, a defensive falcon can be a real b*tch. You don't have a good approach game against him and he can punish any mistake you make.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Thanks for the advice.

Bleh, I hate Falcon. He can run away from you all day, then I get frustrated and make stupid decisions. On the flip side, when he goes really aggro, I panic sometimes and get hit by stuff I shouldn't be getting hit by. I'm one of those people who has to have everything planned out, and if I don't, I have to devise stuff spur-of-the-moment, which makes it hard to concentrate on what's happening before my eyes. DK's slowness has been an obstacle for me in formuting those kind of strategies, since it means a lot of his good moves are a challenge to safely utilize.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
SO......I WAS going to just show you guys this sexy combo instead of just telling you guys how to do it, but since I just about never go to tournaments, I might not ever get to show you guys, so I'll just have to tell you guys about it. This combo is only for flash, its not practical at all...

On stages like fod or stadium where you can d air fox/falco through a platform, if you do so when they are around 115 damage, and they don't di to either side (like i said, not practical at all, lol) you can actually taunt in their hit stun and still get off a sweetspotted up b on them. DK, as far as I know, is the only one that can taunt in the middle of a combo, especially a combo that kills. I've tested it with some friends, and it actually combos. As long as they go straight up, they can't shake out of it or jump out of it. You just have to be fast

cjugs

Smash Ace
DK is like the most fun character in the game to play, once you figure out how to **** with him.
it's to bad he isn't faster or has projectiles because he is alot of fun to watch, i want to take up a DK for funsies to destroy bad people and laugh.
My question mexican is where did you go? I have heard rumors you went of observing apes in the jungle for many moons to improve the game any truth to this?

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
mexican died a long time ago with the likes of tupac...

but hes probably in jamaica smoking weed with Biggie smalls or something, or one of those other conspiracy rumors

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I don't know how much more i really have to offer to the DK metagame unfortunately. lol. And what I thought were monkeys that i was observing turned out to nothing more than KFC fighting with a homeless guy over a banana. =D Love you JR. lol

cjugs

Smash Ace
I don't know how much more i really have to offer to the DK metagame unfortunately. lol. And what I thought were monkeys that i was observing turned out to nothing more than KFC fighting with a homeless guy over a banana. =D Love you JR. lol
you know what i do when i realize link is a bad character? texture hacksss now i'm feeling like a boss. And i play fox :)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
SWF Strong Bad (9:43:51 PM): MEXICAN can wombo combo a jigglypuff in a singles match
SWF Strong Bad (9:43:54 PM): with DK
In5AnEmENTALITY (9:43:58 PM): LMAO
SWF Strong Bad (9:44:08 PM): true facts.
In5AnEmENTALITY (9:44:25 PM): yeah
In5AnEmENTALITY (9:44:44 PM): mexican's dk has uthrow,bthrow,fthrow,dthrow, and wombo combo
In5AnEmENTALITY (9:44:56 PM): lol
SWF Strong Bad (9:45:18 PM): he taps B after he grabs someone and then you hear HMW going "OHHHHHHHH, OHHHHHH"
In5AnEmENTALITY (9:45:24 PM): LMAO
SWF Strong Bad (9:45:25 PM): "OH MY GOD!!! WOMBOOO COMBOOOO"
SWF Strong Bad (9:45:38 PM): "my **** hurts!!!!1!1"
quoted for truth

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I used DK a lot at a smashfest last night/this morning in Denver, Colorado. There was a Roy, Luigi, Pikachu, and Mario player here, so I got some nice low tier experience. :D
The players here are really smart, so lot of shenanigans didn't work, but I probably played the best I've ever played. Sometimes I even outright destroyed people.

But, as the night wore on and the sun started to come up, my Up-b's out of shield began to become aerial up-b's... and I had to switch to using Doc & Marth the majority of the time. Oh well; I think I'll be performing better at smash events in the future with DK now :)

Something I've realized about DK lately is that when people say to spam bair.... that's the secret to DK. As soon as I start doing fancy things like nair approaching, fair, ftilt, etc. I get *****, but if I just spam bair and occasionally grab when the opportunity presents itself, as well as edgeguard properly, then I do pretty well.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
strongBad
something I've learned as pichu people say nair equals answer to everything and yes it is, however I try to make that most of what I do and then randomly do dumb attacks they don't expect and it works vs people who know the match-up very well. I side-B as pichu and it works amazing because I rarly ever use it and as easy as it is to punish like fox/falco side-B because they don't expect it nor know when i'll do it, it always works. mix-ups are **** if you know what's up.

also why i'm posting is because the 5th time i've ever used DK I couldn't hlp but notice how wrong I was about him being boring or not that great I played my brother's falco and DK vs falco is the worse thing i've ever pplayed I won like once but barely due to his falco being like 4 days old. but still it was h***ish I know a good amount of knowledge as everyone in the game and the DK videos are a better source than the DK guide. I got some fairly sexy combos and falco vs Dk feels worse than pichu vs sheik. after being ***** I 4 stocked his falco with pichu. I'm amazed how few DK mains there are.

he is pretty amazing toplay as, my only problems are his sheild(ice climber mains love their sheilds) and his fraking vertical recovery is sooo bad I feel like link from 64 and because of his bad sheild I have to light sheild so I got shoot by a laser from my light sheild and fell off the stage and couldn't recover.

needs more DK players.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
strongBad
something I've learned as pichu people say nair equals answer to everything and yes it is, however I try to make that most of what I do and then randomly do dumb attacks they don't expect and it works vs people who know the match-up very well. I side-B as pichu and it works amazing because I rarly ever use it and as easy as it is to punish like fox/falco side-B because they don't expect it nor know when i'll do it, it always works. mix-ups are **** if you know what's up.

also why i'm posting is because the 5th time i've ever used DK I couldn't hlp but notice how wrong I was about him being boring or not that great I played my brother's falco and DK vs falco is the worse thing i've ever pplayed I won like once but barely due to his falco being like 4 days old. but still it was h***ish I know a good amount of knowledge as everyone in the game and the DK videos are a better source than the DK guide. I got some fairly sexy combos and falco vs Dk feels worse than pichu vs sheik. after being ***** I 4 stocked his falco with pichu. I'm amazed how few DK mains there are.

he is pretty amazing toplay as, my only problems are his sheild(ice climber mains love their sheilds) and his fraking vertical recovery is sooo bad I feel like link from 64 and because of his bad sheild I have to light sheild so I got shoot by a laser from my light sheild and fell off the stage and couldn't recover.

needs more DK players.
Haha. Falco vs DK is stupid, I agree completely. The only reason why I sometimes like the matchup is for those rare moments where I actually get a grab on falco. Then the frustration goes away for those few seconds as falco's life begins to fade. lol. But for the most part, your matchup against falco is going to be b airs and up b oos. Even if you don't actually connect with the b air, you at least do it so you are closer to him and facing away so that when he comes in to try and pillar your shield, he's trying it in the sweetspot of your up b oos. If you hit him with that and he falls to the ground, you go for the tech chase grab and then just do the things you see on youtube. lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
if only up-b out of shield didn't take forever so i could legitimately tech-chase grab afterward.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
if only up-b out of shield didn't take forever so i could legitimately tech-chase grab afterward.
Yeah...tech chase grab afterward isn't so hot. Thats partially why i tech chase with dash attack sometimes. If you get there with a dash attack, it lasts long enough to still hit them if they side step and if they shine, it'll just clank with it and your dash attack lag is cancelled, and on a lot of stages, they just land on top of the platform, which is just as good as getting the grab, but with less risk involved.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Man, I just played Donkey Kong a few days ago and I think I finally found a character I can stick with. It's so retardedly funny to play DK. I've played DK mostly in Brawl, where the neutral B was alright, but here it's just amazing. The range is godlike and I can hit someone in a gimpable position at 110%. After 1 day, I did alright with DK. I don't really know any matchups. My friend plays Falcon, no idea what to do, so I just spam B-air, up B when I can and grab him if the opportunity arises. Tilts are good and DK is the best character to wavedash with. He looks amazing.

Everything went better than expected

EDIT: Is there a DK flowchart somewhere :o?

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Man, I just played Donkey Kong a few days ago and I think I finally found a character I can stick with. It's so retardedly funny to play DK. I've played DK mostly in Brawl, where the neutral B was alright, but here it's just amazing. The range is godlike and I can hit someone in a gimpable position at 110%. After 1 day, I did alright with DK. I don't really know any matchups. My friend plays Falcon, no idea what to do, so I just spam B-air, up B when I can and grab him if the opportunity arises. Tilts are good and DK is the best character to wavedash with. He looks amazing.

Everything went better than expected

EDIT: Is there a DK flowchart somewhere :o?
I don't know of any flowcharts, lol, but just watch a bunch of dk vids.

These are the only higher level play dk vs falcon i can think of. I'm sure there are more, but these are the only ones i can think of off of the top of my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDncftmKj2M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFVJMmA3mbw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuGMUzKIlnk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leAY1-cPUnU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIn_75tOzVI

Any other characters, just go to the dk video archive

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Woohoo! This thread is getting close to a thousand posts. Probably the mosts posts ever on the dk threads. lol. It's too bad it never got a sticky. lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
second biggest DK thread was like 206 posts about THE BUM EFFECT

Top Bottom