• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

Robsta

Smash Ace
Is there any tech I can practice as DK?

I'm a fox player but I'd like to pick up DK as my second character.

How do you guys practice DK alone?

:phone:

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
uhh some of the more tricky things that dk has is using the giant punch charge animation to change the direction that DK is facing, mid-air...

practice auto cancel uairs, theyre more tricky than you think because if you press R or L, you'll have more landing lag i think

and get used to the lag of fairs and dairs. theyre pretty weird to a new user of dk

and practice light shielding

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
uhh some of the more tricky things that dk has is using the giant punch charge animation to change the direction that DK is facing, mid-air...

practice auto cancel uairs, theyre more tricky than you think because if you press R or L, you'll have more landing lag i think

and get used to the lag of fairs and dairs. theyre pretty weird to a new user of dk

and practice light shielding
JR, are you trying to give DK advice? How cute. hahahaha. <3

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If you're auto-canceling u-airs, inputting an L-cancel will simply have no effect. The point of not inputting an L-Cancel is to eliminate unnecessary physical strain, decreasing your chances of making a mistake and increasing your tournament stamina's effective use.
There are some situations though where you will want to input a late u-air and L-cancel it instead of just performing an auto-cancel u-air.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
If you're auto-canceling u-airs, inputting an L-cancel will simply have no effect. The point of not inputting an L-Cancel is to eliminate unnecessary physical strain, decreasing your chances of making a mistake and increasing your tournament stamina's effective use.
There are some situations though where you will want to input a late u-air and L-cancel it instead of just performing an auto-cancel u-air.
then the lag mustve just been me accidentally shielding after doing the uairs. it feels really weird to shield after doing an aerial... it like never happens when i use other chars lol

JR, are you trying to give DK advice? How cute. hahahaha. <3
lol what i gave wasnt really advice, more like technical stuff which is the only thing i know with DK

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
Lol wtf I didn't know this thread existed, hella sweet lol. I saw your thing on Facebook Jaime, we should smosh :D

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
A small tip that i shared with Strongbad that i guess i can just share with everyone here...against falco, sometimes it's good to roll forward towards the falco because it sometimes baits them into d airing your shield and sets them up for an up b out of shield, and if they don't, and decide to sit back and spam more, it sets you up kinda for a chance to b air him out of your shield if you're quick and the spacing is right

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Question: I've always had trouble with Peach?
Especially approaching and edgeguarding.
Most of the time I get pushed into defense, with her float arials, and lose the defense game too.
So, are there solid strategies that work well on Peach? Except for standard b-air spacing...

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Question: I've always had trouble with Peach?
Especially approaching and edgeguarding.
Most of the time I get pushed into defense, with her float arials, and lose the defense game too.
So, are there solid strategies that work well on Peach? Except for standard b-air spacing...
A good way to practice beating a peach is to force yourself to not block whatsoever. Avoid only. Even if it means giving up a chance for a counterattack. If you get caught in your shield, you're taking damage, flat out. Jump over, around, into her, whatever you have to do, just don't stay on the ground and don't shield. Just bait her into leaving herself open and b air. Biggest key though is giant punch all dai. I've played peaches and literally landed at least 10 giant punches in just one match. Run away and charge, make her get impatient and make mistakes and capitalize on each of them

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Thanks. I think I do shield too much. In every matchup.
I'mma study the DK - Peach videos too, I just saw the archive has quite a lot of them.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Against Luigi you have to keep in mind that since his movements rely on wavedashes, his movement is incremental. Yeah he can shorten his wavedashes (most of the better Luigi players do this) but as far as staying mobile goes, you can judge how quickly he can get to you. The main idea of Luigi is to get him airborne, because his mobility is significantly decreased when he isn't able ot wavedash or waveland.
Floatier matchups such as against Luigi really comes down to how well you can make use of Back-Air. I don't even know if U-Throw -> Uair combos in many cases against Luigi.
Keep in mind that he can't really crouch cancel your attacks because he slides so far. This makes weaker moves such as D-Tilt even more viable than usual because they're harder to punish.
Something you should experiment with is uncharged Donkey Punch. I find that it's really underrated and it really interrupts a lot of Luigi's approach options.

By the way, Mew2King will be staying at my house for a few days this weekend so I'll try to get a bunch of videos up of my DK vs. his Fox/Marth/Sheik/Whatever. Hopefully it'll either 1. help other people or 2. let MEXICAN tell me what I'm messing up LOL

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
Oh if you guys end up not doing much one day and are just playing smash, let me know if I can come over and smash with you guys.

Dontmashme

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty new to melee and I am looking for some help with my marth and sheik match up. Getting 4 stocked is no fun ^^

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
i don't know the matchup from dk's point of view, but as a marth player who really knows the matchup, *i've played mexican countless times throughout the years*, i'll tell you some things that is difficult for marth to get around.

dk's bair: this move is really annoying to get hit by. it hits you away and can possibly combo into other things. be careful tho because marth can crouch cancel into grab if you dont space this correctly

dk's grab: this move can lead into a bunch of things. uair combos, guaranteed giant punches (you literally cant escape uthrow--> giant punch no matter the DI at certain percents, mexican will confirm this) and a bunch of other combinations and things that i cant remember off the top of my head. mexican will elaborate im sure.

dtilt/ftilt: these tilts are surprisingly fast and can hit the marth if they don't space their moves correctly, and it works as a good *gtfo off me move*. the dtilt hits really fast and has a weird hit stun that you can sometimes get a grab off of.

giant punch: always keep this charged as it will probably be your main kill move.

upb: good for punishing marths who like to improperly space double fairs on your shields, and for marths who try to approach from above and dair you. also extremely good for edgeguarding.

JAIME WHERE YOU AT! come fix my sucky *** DK advice!

Dontmashme

Smash Rookie
i don't know the matchup from dk's point of view, but as a marth player who really knows the matchup, *i've played mexican countless times throughout the years*, i'll tell you some things that is difficult for marth to get around.

dk's bair: this move is really annoying to get hit by. it hits you away and can possibly combo into other things. be careful tho because marth can crouch cancel into grab if you dont space this correctly

dk's grab: this move can lead into a bunch of things. uair combos, guaranteed giant punches (you literally cant escape uthrow--> giant punch no matter the DI at certain percents, mexican will confirm this) and a bunch of other combinations and things that i cant remember off the top of my head. mexican will elaborate im sure.

dtilt/ftilt: these tilts are surprisingly fast and can hit the marth if they don't space their moves correctly, and it works as a good *gtfo off me move*. the dtilt hits really fast and has a weird hit stun that you can sometimes get a grab off of.

giant punch: always keep this charged as it will probably be your main kill move.

upb: good for punishing marths who like to improperly space double fairs on your shields, and for marths who try to approach from above and dair you. also extremely good for edgeguarding.

JAIME WHERE YOU AT! come fix my sucky *** DK advice!

wow that helps a lot, i have not got to test it on a human player yet but level 3 and level 9 Marth dids not like.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
pick up a secondary for Sheik. i'm convinced after playing m2k for 3 days that it's DK's worst matchup, equal to falco

Dontmashme

Smash Rookie
I know he is a hard counter to DK but i have not played a good one.(i'm seeking advice for what i am playing vs the most ^^)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i generally only get 2-stocked by his marth, depends on the game. his fox consistently 3-stocks me though.
except sometimes on fod and ys

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
i generally only get 2-stocked by his marth, depends on the game. his fox consistently 3-stocks me though.
except sometimes on fod and ys
Last time i played him, he refused to use marth against me *rolls eyes*. I think i got like 1 or 2 stocked by his fox, and against his sheik is on youtube unfortunately. lol.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i housed him and he was here for 4 days so he was willing to do whatever. i probably have 10+ hrs of friendlies to go through lmao

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
there was unfortunately a marth ditto JV5 stock, among other various hilarities that were recorded.

but there were some good matches too, and vids of me & m2k teaming; we didn't lose a single game.

Top Bottom