• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nuzlocke Challenge

S l o X

Smash Champion
Decided to hop on the bandwagon as this seems pretty fun and I need to procrastinate some homework.

I started off by RNGing a bunch of #s from G1 to G3 and ran with that. Got two legendaries (Mew, Entei) so rerolled twice over and ended up with this bunch (after getting the lowest form of evo):

Flgon? Medicham? Nidoking!? Pretty good. Hopefully I don't loss these too early. I'm going by the set up rules Sir Bedevere posted. Continuing on to the beginning of my adventure!

/

Nuzlocke Challenge!

Rules:

-Start with a random team of 6 (non-legendary) Pokemon at their lowest forms at Level 5.
-After each gym, I am allowed to RNG for another random (non-legendary) Pokemon at the same level of the last gym leader's highest leveled Pokemon.
-I cannot ever catch or receive Pokemon (includes fossils), and any Pokemon received in such a way must be released or boxed [this time, I'm going to straight release them. It makes it a bit harder to do].
-If a Pokemon faints, it is gone for good and must be released or boxed. I can continue after a white out if there are any non-dead Pokemon in my box.
-No healing items outside of battle, including Ethers, Potions, Antidotes etc.
-SET battle mode.
-NICKNAMES.

Chapter 1

Version: Emerald
Trainer: Dazarc
Rival: ?????
Badges: 0

Team at a glance:

Random names. After I ran out of God names that fit, I went with some Japanese.

Gonna proceed to the next route soon.​

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Note: Trapinch is the lowest Evoluation of Flygon.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Started one of these on Sapphire.

Picked Mudkip. Got Wurmple, Taillow, LUCKED on slakoth in petalburg. After a short debate decided to trade for fast level makuhita. Picked up whismur. Swept first two gyms with ease. Caught geodude. Caught zigzagoon. Caught oddish. Taillow/mudkip/makuhita/wurmple evolved. Beat 3rd gym. Caught numel. Nothing exciting so far :/

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'll be picking up a copy of Soul Silver soon, so I think I'll be doing this for it. :D

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I think I'm going to start my soulsilver over again so that I can nuzlocke it. Is anyone else still doing nuzlocke challenges?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
The Nuzlocke and Scramble challenges have pretty much fallen away.

But now that you mention it I may try a Pokemon Crystal Nuzlocke, because I can.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
I recently failed a run on Ruby Version. Had five members of my team up to level 27, and I still got wiped out by Wattson.

The Wattson Wipeout... bleah

If you're gonna do one on the 3rd gen games, I'd suggest Mudkip since it makes the game so much easier.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I just started a run on Emerald last night. Fay the Poochyena already died, because it got critted by a Taillow. D:

The weird part, however, is I can't release it. <___________<

EDIT: Actually, this is a decent Nuzlocke run so far. I just beat Roxanne, and Brawly should be a piece of cake with my current team. :3

Pokemon
Torchic (Isir) Male - Level 11
Poochyena (Fay) Female *deceased* - Level 7; died from a critical hit by a lvl 3 Taillow
Marill (Oddjob) Male *deceased* - Level 12; died from Nosepass' Rock Tomb
Dustox (Architect) Male - Level 11
Taillow (Velicity) Female - Level 9

Despite how bad it may look with two deaths already, those were most definitely the weakest links on my team. I'm actually amazed Marill lived as long as it did tbh, considering how many Potions I had to waste on it to level it up to 10. Torchic's always awesome, Dustox is a straight-up boss, and Taillow's pretty good as well.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I was contemplating doing a Nuzlock on my neglected HeartGold. Chill, what do you say we Nuzlock it together?
Let's do it. I'm going to start mine today with Totodile or Cyndaquil. Most likely Totodile though.

There should be a team version of nuzlocke where you can trade pokemon to each other something.

rockem7

Smash Ace
I'm not entirely sure, but trading seems like it would make the challenge a lot easier. And I kind of forgot that most of you can't see your partner in person, my bad. :ohwell:

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I started my nuzlocke today. I almost lost in the very first battle. A lvl 3 Pidgey CH'd me Totodile twice in a row leaving me at 6 HP. :/

rockem7

Smash Ace
I forgot the the route on top of Petalburg Woods was the same as the one below it so I had to release the Taillow I caught. But I made up for it by catching a Zubat in Granite Cave and naming him Zeus. :)

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I thought of a way a partner could help you, instead of trading you pokemon (as the boosted XP might make things too easy) they could assist you with trade evolutions or items.

I've reached goldenrod now and I have yet to loose any pokemon. I'm being extremely cautious though, taking the time to level them all up. I've come really close to losing a few of them at times. I'm trying to think ahead and shape my team into something that can beat the E4. Pigeotto has been good so far but I don't see him hanging around for much longer. I almost freaked out when togepi nearly died as Togekiss will come in handy in the future.

Where are you Crashic?

edit: Ratigan the Rattata died. RIP lvl 3-16

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Well. I'm going to download a Pokemon Silver rom tomorrow and try to begin my Nuzlocke. Good luck to everyone else participating in a Nuzlocke.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I think I posted some of a Diamond Nuzlocke run in here earlier but ended up abandoning it lol.

I might start a new one, not sure if I wanna go Emerald, LeafGreen or SoulSilver though.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Ghastly died during the fight with Whitney but managed to pull off a win for the team with curse. I realy hope I run into another because he was a really useful member of my team. Drowzee was very helpful but died too soon during the fight with sudowoodo.

When I entered route 41 I ran into a shiny tentacool! I want to use it on my team but I have a huge electric weakness which came back to bite me in the ***. I was going to get my geodude from the daycare to cover my weakness but thought 'I'll do it after I get fly'. I forgot that Eusine had an Electrode. He killed both sudowood and pidgeotto with thunder, leaving me with only 3 strong team members. I'm currently packing Croconaw, Golbat (came back from daycare as a kick *** zubat) and Togetic at lvl 30. At lvl 17 I have the shiny tentacool and a shuckle at lvl 20. Things are not looking good right now.

I'm heading back to check on my eevee and geodude in the daycare. The eevee has a calm nature and I want to evolve it into a vaporeon to help with the E4. But I really need to cover my electric weak and I don't think one geodude is going to be enough. Jolteon would be awesome but the nature kind of sucks for it and Umbreon is a great tank but I used him last time I played. Maybe Espeon would be good?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I would suggest NOT carrying around Shiny Pokemon in a Nuzlocke, BTW

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
I am at the Elite fours doors, I still need to grind Ricardo the Magneton and Alejandro the Flygon before I go in.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Yeah, I've defeated all the leaders but I'm so under leveled at this point. I'm not going to get that happy ending if I don't level up somehow. Unfortunately vs.seeker isn't available in this game as far as I know. I feel kind of screwed. Unless I want to grind on victory road I don't see a way around this.

I evolved eevee into Jolteon and it was the best decision I could have made. Now I have a pokemon that I can go to whenever there's an electric attack being thrown around. I put the red Gyarados on my team and the two work very well together. I did lose graveler to a team rocket admin battle and I decided to run from Lugia. I kind of regret that as he could have been a huge help to my team.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I did lose graveler to a team rocket admin battle and I decided to run from Lugia. I kind of regret that as he could have been a huge help to my team.
Too bad you're not allowed to use legendaries. Otherwise this would be very true!

Chill

Red
BRoomer
There's no rule against using legendaries in Nuzlocke. I have the original rules saved and even the optional rules don't mention legendaries. That must be an added optional rule from someone else.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
If you go to the Smogon link it's under moot's post with the "more complete" rules. It's the very last one.

I guess I just assumed that those rules were the ones most followed.

Granted, it's not like you could have caught him anyway. Not unless you used repels all the way down, as the chances of you reaching the bottom of Whirl Islands without running into another Pokemon are pretty much slim to none.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I did use repels all the way down just so that he would count as the first pokemon I saw. It's not hard to get to him either. I've played it so many times that I know exactly which way to go.

Cubes

Smash Cadet
I remember when I first started playing Blue version, I didn't know about pokemon centers, and got all the way through Mt. Moon having to do exactly this (leting a pokemon go after it fainted). I was almost out of PP when I finally figured out what that nurse behind the desk was for. This reminded me of that.

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
I am at the elete 4's door and have decided to not use Champ the Pelipper. Regirock will be used instead.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
If you go to the Smogon link it's under moot's post with the "more complete" rules. It's the very last one.

I guess I just assumed that those rules were the ones most followed.

Granted, it's not like you could have caught him anyway. Not unless you used repels all the way down, as the chances of you reaching the bottom of Whirl Islands without running into another Pokemon are pretty much slim to none.
No legendaries is probably the most common optional rule, in that basically everyone follows it since it makes sense and follows the spirit of the challenge.

Niiro

Smash Ace
Just found a shiny during Nuzlocke run. In a place where I already caught a pokemon. Caught it anyways, sue me. But I found a Ralts after than =( Bawwwwwww.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I'm doing a Nuzlocke on LeafGreen, with the optional rules as follows:
-Healing Items are only for in-battle
-nicknames
-limited Pokéball buying
-no Legendaries
-minimal grinding

I've only lost one 'mon thus far, my Dugtrio. Replaced him with a Graveler.

I'm going to be using two gift Pokémon, though: Flareon and Lapras. Status effects are annoying.

Top Bottom