• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Can't decide if I want to do this on emerald or Leaf Green. :c

M.K

Level 55
IDK I always thought Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire were harder than FireRed/LeafGreen.
The selection in FR/LG on a route to route basis is ...questionable, too.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I'm debating either FireRed or Emerald. I'm too shaky with Emerald, but as you've mentioned the difficulty factor is more present in Emerald as well.

IceArrow

Smash Lord
Emerald is not diffucult.

My team so far at Lilycove City

Lvl 40 Blaziken
Lvl 39 Swalot
Lvl 37 Shroomish
Zigzagoon Lvl 2 or something

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I should actually pick up my Nuzlocke run again...I'm terrible about dropping runs halfway through them.

I think the fact that I'm scared to death of losing my Pokémon (and the challenge) isn't helping.

Hm. Looking back at my most recent progress post, I'm further along than I thought.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Emerald is probably more difficult compared to FireRed.
Pokemon Emerald is the easiest and lowest-leved requiring Pokemon game of all time.

It SHOULD be the easiest to Nuzlocke.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Pokemon Emerald is the easiest and lowest-leved requiring Pokemon game of all time.

It SHOULD be the easiest to Nuzlocke.
Whereas I'd assume GSC or HGSS would be the hardest, considering the low amount of grinding you can do and the fact that the games seem to carry some of the hardest gym leaders (Whitney, Olivia, Morty (imo; especially in GSC)).

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Assuming you grind a little before Whitney and Clair, G/S/C SHOULD be fine.

HGSS I'm not sure, even though Whitney has been ramped down, you now have Bugsy and an ever better Clair. Not to mention Lance has three god**** Dragonites.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I've never actually had issues with Clair past the first time I played through the game. And the only reason I even had issues with her then is that I had trained up my Typhlosion and only my Typhlosion.

And wtf did I say Olivia for. I meant Jasmine.

Just started a Yellow run-through about a half an hour ago and I've already clocked two hours (I discovered that hitting the spacebar makes the game's speed literally jump to over 9000%, so I tap it when in battles and in straight passages to speed up the run-through); despite only JUST entering Viridian Forest.

I got lucky on the route where you fight Gary's Pidgey and Eevee and managed to catch a Mankey. Yay. :3 My current team is...

Lvl 7 Pikachu (Moo)
Lvl 8 Mankey (Woof)
Lvl 3 Rattata (Meow)

If I don't epically fail, I'll probably be in Cerulean or something by tonight.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Good news - I'm going to be recording my Emerald Nuzlocke and uploading to Youtube and all, with narration.

Bad news - Audio is choppy, so if I can figure out how to layer some background music I'll be good.

Cease Tick

Smash Ace
I did a nuzlocke run of Platinum this summer. Here's how it went:
RULES:
1) I can only catch the first pokemon in each area.
1.1) Duplicate? Too bad.
1.2) I kill it? Too bad.
2) If a pokemon faints in battle, it must be placed in the cemetery box asap and never used again.
3) If my entire party faints, then I lose unless I have more Pokemon in my box.
4) I must nickname every pokemon.
5) I must use the "SET" battle setting.
6) Healing items are not allowed.
6.1) X items, ethers/elixers, and vitamins have no restrictions.
6.2) Berries are allowed only if equipped to pokemon and not used directly.
6.3) The ban is lifted between matches against the Elite Four.

OK GO!

I started out with a Turtwig (Bowser) because he's tough and he's good against the gyms. Somehow I didn't find a single wild pokemon on either trip through Route 201, so once I got poke balls I caught a Starly (Lombardi). I caught another Starly (Harvey) at Lake Verity. On Route 203 I caught a Shinx (Meowth). In my second fight against my rival I sacrificed Harvey to get a free switch. Oh well, I didn't need him anyway. By the time I got to Oreburgh I had caught a Zubat (Wayne), a Psyduck (Ernest), and a Geodude (Mr. Dunn (He's a fat teacher at my school)). I caught another Geodude (Brick) in the mine. Roark was super easy; Bowser used Withdraw to boost up to +6, got all his health back with Absorb, and killed Cranidos with Razor Leaf.

In Floaroma I lost Wayne to a Stunky. Darn. I caught a stupid Shinx (Tom) at the Valley Windworks. Mars was tough, I think Mr. Dunn died fighting her, but my memories are vague. By the time I reached Eterna I had added a Budew (Buddy), a Buizel (Miles), and a Cascoon (Navi). Gardenia got crushed by an overleveled Lombardi. I caught another Wurmple (Navi2) somewhere. After I finished cycling path I realized that most of my team was dangerously underleveled. I decided to start grinding. I didn't go very well. Buddy and Navi died, and while I caught another Zubat (God****Bat) and a Meditite (Ninja), they both died too. I was able to grind Miles and Bowser up a few levels. I also hatched the Togepi (Scrambles) and raised it to level 10. Miles evolved by the time I reached Fantina, and swept her easily with Crunch. Before I got to Veilstone I caught a Roselia (Queen), a Gastly (Jasper), and an Unown I (I-senhower). I also put Scrambles in the day care, because I never knew when I might want some kind of backup. I vaguely remember beating Maylene using Lombardi with an X Attack. Before I reached Pastoria I caught another Budew (Bud 2), a Houndour (Arcanine), and a Magikarp (**** ROCKS). I also caught a Tangela (Mojonbo) in the Great Marsh. I beat my rival easily, and even got Bowser to evolve before the fight. Floatzel was going to be annoying, but I had a plan. I was going to start by using Queen to Leech Seed Quagsire, then I would switch to Bowser to curse up to +6. After that Ice Fang would barely be able to make a scratch, and I would be all set. I moved **** ROCKS and Arcanine out of my party because they wouldn't be useful. I fought Wake with Queen, Mojonbo, Bowser, Lombardi, Jasper, and Miles. As the battle started, I immediately noticed I had made a mistake. In Platinum, Wake leads with Gyarados. I switched Queen out of harm's way for Mojonbo. All he was able to do was poison him before he died. I sent out Torterra to finish the job, and he did, but with only about 1/4th of his health. When Floatzel came in, I switched to Queen as a sacrifice so I could send out Lombardi for free. Lombardi tried to kill him but he died. Miles was next. He died too. Jasper hit him with his hardest Shadow Ball, but it wasn't enough and he died. I sent out Bowser, hoping for a miracle. I remembered that Ice Fang had a 5% miss chance. I nervously clicked the Razor Leaf button and waited for the outcome. Would I be struck down by my merciless opponent? Or would I be saved by the hax gods, and live to fight another day?

Part 2 coming soon.

Team so far:

Party:
Bowser, Level 33 Torterra

Box:
Bud 2, Level 18 Budew
Navi2, Level 13 Wurmple
Tom, Level 10 Shinx
I-senhower, Level 20 Unown (I)
Ernest, Level 4 Psyduck
Brick, Level 7 Geodude
**** ROCKS, Level 23 Gyarados
Arcanine, Level 27 Houndoom

Day Care
Scrambles, Level ?? Togepi

Cemetery:
Harvey, Level 2 Starly
Wayne, Level 8 Zubat
Mr. Dunn, Level 15 Geodude
Buddy, Level 17 Budew
Navi, Level 13 Dustox
God****Bat, Level 17 Zubat
Ninja, Level 18 Meditite
Meowth, Level 4 Shinx
Mojonbo, Level 28 Tangela
Queen, Level 21 Roserade
Lombardi, Level 33 Staravia
Miles, Level 32 Floatzel
Jasper, Level 33 Haunter

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Veridian Forrest just killed Matatatta and Hawkeye from bloody poison :(

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Veridian Forrest just killed Matatatta and Hawkeye from bloody poison :(
I actually have a strategy to (mostly) bypass this problem. When you get poisoned and your Pokemon is weak, just lightly tap the button in different directions so your character faces different directions; while not moving. Eventually you'll run into a Pokemon. Either use a healing item or an Antidote when this happens and then Run Away. Then book it to the nearest Pokemon Center, continuing the process on other patches of grass while on the way as needed (unless you used an Antidote, in which case you can continue as you were).

You SHOULD be able to make it to almost any Pokemon Center without losing your Pokemon with this method. Assuming, of course, that you have the healing items needed. Which I always do, because I take the money that I no longer have to use on Pokeballs in the beginning and buy Potions, Antidotes, and Paralyz Heals instead.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
You better not ****ing kill me.

If you do, I'll hax you so hard you'll ragequit irl.

<3

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I fixed the part about healing.

Anyway. I hope I don't kill you either. ^^

For those of you who haven't watched it, I have a Torchic named Circa. :D
And it's female. It should have been named Leafybug for accuracy's sake.

Granted, with a low number of females (read: none) in the PC, I guess it's pretty inevitable for some of us to be females in-game.

...this makes me want to restart Yellow and record a Nuzlocke of my own.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
And it's female. It should have been named Leafybug for accuracy's sake.

Granted, with a low number of females (read: none) in the PC, I guess it's pretty inevitable for some of us to be females in-game.

...this makes me want to restart Yellow and record a Nuzlocke of my own.
You should! I'd sponsor you through my playthrough! :3

I'll be recording the next episode as soon as I wrap up my homework.

Niiro

Smash Ace
BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Rip Nuzlocke the Seedot. Died during first period.

>spent an hour grinding his *** up to 12
>still no attacking moves besides bide
>go up against that team grunt guy in the forest
>think that Nuzlocke can handle that stupid dog
>use bide
> opponent spams sand attack and bide
>2 critical hits in a row, and bide misses

XACE-K

Smash Master
I want to start a nuzlocke and I'm wondering which of the will be the easiest to accomplish (or at the very least get past a few gyms):

R/S
FR/LG
D/Pt

I won't be doing both, I just grouped them along with others they're associated with.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
More spacebar, Tery.

EDIT: Zigzagoons are awesome in Nuzlockes since they like to randomly find Rare Candies. And also the occasional Ultra Ball / Nugget.

EDIT2: lol Seph is Calm

Tacel

Smash Lord
Wow. Nuzlockes look like their fun. I'll have to do one. The faint and release thing reminds me of Fire Emblem.
I don't have a spare game, though. Are emulators recommended for this?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
More spacebar, Tery.

EDIT: Zigzagoons are awesome in Nuzlockes since they like to randomly find Rare Candies. And also the occasional Ultra Ball / Nugget.

EDIT2: lol Seph is Calm
Cool. Wave will now be helpful to the team. :3

Wow. Nuzlockes look like their fun. I'll have to do one. The faint and release thing reminds me of Fire Emblem.
I don't have a spare game, though. Are emulators recommended for this?
I'm running on VisualBoy for my Nuzlocke.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Rip Nuzlocke the Seedot. Died during first period.
Puberty is deadly in pokemon.

Trying to not use items like potions and antidotes, but I'll remember that idea next time I get poisoned.

So far got Queeny the Kakuna at 9 and Shelly the Squirtle at 10. When Queeny evolves into Beedril, gonna kill Brock and then hope I can get a good pokemon in Route 3. (Was rather dissapointed that Route 2 is continued north of Veridian :c

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I gotta remember to name one of my Pokemon in my run after Mic. I'll nickname the Pokemon I catch on Route 128 (if said Route exists) after Mic. Stay tuned for that one. :p

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
I beat Ruby's Elite 4 without losing any of my pokemon in there. :)

I started another run on my Leafgreen and just got the Rainbow badge

Niiro

Smash Ace
Nuzlocking in Ruby is just heartbreaking. SwigSwag just got gayed over by Brawly. Stupid sand-attack. IF ONLY I GRINDED MOAR =(

I might just give up and do this on plat or something =/

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I swear this Nuzlocke is just taunting the living crap out of me. More grinding ensued, and what do I find? Tailow, Shroomish, Silcoon, even Slakoth. Wow.

Top Bottom