• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! Updated 8/14/14!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
If you didn't have this ridiculous arrogance in your tone when you respond to someone who disagrees with you about the game, you wouldn't hear this argument so much. You are the best because you have a talent for the game and because you have dedicated yourself to being the best. Period.

Also, it's true. People have lives. You're still an undergrad (living at home and therefore not even part of the social experience of college) so the depth of this statement means nothing to you.
I don't understand how your life situation is relevant about being yourself?

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Read my edit for clarification. But yes, you are the best player in the world now and you act as if your word is the law and therefore talk down to people who play less. It's apparent you actually understand very little about the real world because you have not yet reached it, in the same way you would argue that I do not understand top level Melee because I am not there.

EDIT: Kage, I was just making the point that life situation has a lot to do with how much you get to play and therefore, how good you are.

EDIT2: And yes Chris, I know exactly how good (and bad) I am at the game and I can be arrogant about it. It is annoying and I do not like it, and therefore I am moving towards playing less and less, in hopes of leaving that part of me behind. Thanks for jumping in to take jabs though.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Read my edit for clarification. But yes, you are the best player in the world now and you act as if your word is the law and therefore talk down to people who play less. It's apparent you actually understand very little about the real world because you have not yet reached it, in the same way you would argue that I do not understand top level Melee because I am not there.

EDIT: Kage, I was just making the point that life situation has a lot to do with how much you get to play and therefore, how good you are.
Yes you are right to an extent. However even someone with all the free time in the world will not make someone necessarily the best. It's more about the depth of understanding.. at some point. You can do x100000 pushups and never get it right. Actually this occurs a lot everywhere.

Edit: As about for the first part, I'm not sure who really got talked down here. Stating the truth should be good for you, not bad. Someone stating the truth to you and getting pissed off is understandable but in the end if you are able to sit down and sift through the good things, then yes the truth is really good. =P I think that's why it may SEEM like he's talking down to you.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
This is very true. All the time in the world will not make you the best player in the world, as made evident by how many people who have played for many years and never broken into high level play. Kevin made it his life and spent the time correctly and became the best, plain and simple.

However, I'm hard pressed to think anyone who does not have time to play at all gets to that level, much less gets to sustain a spot on PR's or watch videos/stay up with the metagame, and that's all I was trying to demonstrate.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
This is very true. All the time in the world will not make you the best player in the world, as made evident by how many people who have played for many years and never broken into high level play. Kevin made it his life and spent the time correctly and became the best, plain and simple.

However, I'm hard pressed to think anyone who does not have time to play at all gets to that level, much less gets to sustain a spot on PR's or watch videos/stay up with the metagame, and that's all I was trying to demonstrate.
Ya for sure. Hm.. =P

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
lol at thinking kevin has made smash his life. i don't even talk to the guy that much and i know better than that. true, he may live at home so he lacks some of the social aspects of normal college life, but to say that he devoted everything to smash and therefore hasn't lived a "real" life is a little demeaning to say the least. I consider kevin a friend of mine, and i personally don't appreciate that representation of him.

as for ganon's combo potential, sure, he can techchase and do stuff, but outside of uair/nair combos due to bad DI, that guy doesn't really combo.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
plur, i came to a revelation recently that ice climbers are the funnest high character ever. by a large margin. you need to teach me things.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
On a sidenote, I actually made a test with my mom last weekend. You know how they say, the others are a reflection of yourself? (I think that's how it goes). Well, now whenever I say anything to judge someone else.. I tend to stop in my tracks and think that's probably something I would also say to myself. I think if you actually label someone then I think it's probably the same problem with you. =P yes?

Edit: So ICs high is the funnest stuff ever?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
On a sidenote, I actually made a test with my mom last weekend. You know how they say, the others are a reflection of yourself? (I think that's how it goes). Well, now whenever I say anything to judge someone else.. I tend to stop in my tracks and think that's probably something I would also say to myself. I think if you actually label someone then I think it's probably the same problem with you. =P yes?
you...are a genius.

~Twitch~

Smash Master
cullowhee, nc western carolina university
well, what if you just say something habitual to someone like if you just called everyone stupid without even thinking about it.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
BChris: I wasn't just talking about Kevin. I didn't say Kevin lacked any kind of social life, I know that's not true. I literally was talking about the real world being life after college. True, he is missing the big interaction and responsibility learning part of college by living at home (seriously, this is almost more important than what you study), but I wasn't even referring to that. Only a couple people in NC have actually started life in the real world where no one is paying your bills, cooking your meals, monitoring your decisions, etc.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
well, what if you just say something habitual to someone like if you just called everyone stupid without even thinking about it.
It depends.. I was going to add that it's obviously situational and it's different than objective observation. Just doing it for the lolz, fine.. you can say wtv you want. =P But like if I say to someone you are weak, train more! Then it's obviously me that needs to do that because I'm weak physically. It seems like you would judge someone more if you lost hope for yourself or you placed your hope into someone else.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
I thought pp went to school at like wake forest or somethin before he went back home to live again... to touch on the rankings, they aren't really a list to describe raw talent of the area, they are always used to describe the results or top talent of the tournament scene in the area for that given period of time. That's what I've always saw power rankings as being. So they are accurate at what they are supposed to be defining. Honorable mentions can mention the raw talent not ranked due to inactivity

:phone:

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
well yeah...that's when most people...stop playing. i don't think it's unfair not to rank them, or to say that the rankings are inaccurate due to that. NC is generally fairly young i guess...but...i don't even know what that says lol.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
I thought pp went to school at like wake forest or somethin before he went back home to live again... to touch on the rankings, they aren't really a list to describe raw talent of the area, they are always used to describe the results or top talent of the tournament scene in the area for that given period of time. That's what I've always saw power rankings as being. So they are accurate at what they are supposed to be defining. Honorable mentions can mention the raw talent not ranked due to inactivity

He went to Wake Forest for one year...which is really insignifant as far as the full experience goes. Doing anything for a quarter of the time it takes to complete it is like reading the first 1/4 of book and saying you got it. I think everyone should go to college just to begin learning a new kind of self responsibility.

And yes, I know exactly what PR's are. I just think they are useless and inaccurate depictions of the real talent of a state. They serve the function of seeding at tournaments, which essentially just end up giving the PR'd players better chances to win anyway, and I think tournaments prove little other than...how good you are at tournaments. Too much random stuff (SD's, distractions, outside factors etc) that can be truly detrimental a player decide huge matches which lead to even bigger trickle down into who's better than who discussions.

Chris: There is a good reason why. haha If my house wasn't so key for Raleigh Smash and a decent percent of my guy friends didn't play too, I doubt I'd be playing now. Also, I really love teaching and I love having lots of stuff to practice. But hell, if I didn't play, I'd probably be even more focused on my work, networking, career building etc.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
so...you're saying that because how good you are doesn't always reflect in tournament results, so the PR is inaccurate because the people who did the best that period in tournament aren't the 10 most talented people in the state...

ok.

also, by the time i get to that point, i will probably quit playing too. ya'll will still be my friends, but...yeah.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Everyone on THE BOARDS can be arrogant, or at least narrow-minded to your own views...It's why I try to sugarcoat everything when I express my views. I just try not to sweat the small stuff, and think that everyone is/can be cool off THE BOARDS.....

My only gripe with the smash community is that it can seriously be one big circle jerk sometimes, if you only read THE BOARDS. It's just a bunch of people coming to THE BOARDS and tooting their own horn. Mutual horn tooting = a circle jerk, and when the jerk gets competitive it either gets e-hostile or mutual stroking occurs.....either ends up nasty.

On a more related note, I think that the Pr's should be based on results, but I also don't take them seriously(aside from not being able to come to tourneys).

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
I'm not trolling peach jiggs and IC's should be banned

When the game was designed they werent even included (removed for being too broken) there was just an unfixable glitch that allowed you to pick then so they had no choice but to leave them in the game.

Not trolling

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
come on dylan, you could at least put effort into it.
right now you just look like keith.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yo ocean if he says he's not trolling then he's not trolling. get off his nuts and do some research.

they couldn't get snake in, just like they couldn't get those 3 out.

Top Bottom