• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! Updated 8/14/14!

0Room

Smash Lord
I dunno dude, Ive been saying all my friends turn from fun people to be around and play smash with, to people who whine constantly, throw controllers, get upset when they lose tournament matches, (beyond reason mind you) getting upset with they lose at fest, not playing to learn, not playing to have fun, strictly playing to win

I might be wrong that its the fact that we are too serious. I just dont like the way NC is changing.

Is there no balance between taking the game more seriously and having fun while doing it?
Lol I just agreed with you Snap. I totally understand and agree. What's interesting about being the head of a fledgling community is that I see all of this myself. I constantly tell them that it's not tournament, so it doesn't matter. Play to have fun and to learn, not to be super good and win all the time. It's how you get people to stop playing with you. You have to balance it. and I promise you Snap, there is a balance to it.

When I play with my friend Mitch it's always a friendly rivalry, and we laugh and joke about who's best. But when it comes to tournament, game face comes on and **** goes down. And then after the game it's a handshake and a "good game, you almost got me. You might get me next time."

You can definitely balance it, you just have to remember what's important: having fun. It's a social GAME, and while it's nice and great to win, you have to remember WHY you're playing. While the goals may be different from person to person, I play to have fun, enjoy time with friends, and improve at something. But it's not worth getting angry over, because getting angry won't make me play better. To be honest it just makes it worse.
Yes it's disappointing when you don't play as well as you like, but as long as you don't care, everything seems much better and you end up having a lot more fun than you would have if you had won.

0Room

Smash Lord
You can be serious about how u do, how u play, or what you do in tournament without being nervous or getting angry at your mistakes. Its just how you can handle yourself mentally and emotionally. I lost super close sets to lozr and xif at pound in pools that coulda got me to 3rd round pools because of silly mistakes but I don't beat myself up about it. I just think about the situation and try to find ways to make that different the next time so I can win. Idk, maybe its just the area. I witness alot more rage about things in tournament in the south than I have in any other region I been to. Maybe you guys just handle things differently than others
Yeah it's the same idea, just a different way to go about it. Idgaf, you do super analyzation [I do too, but a bit after the match when I've calmed down] and other people handle it other ways.

I think the rage really comes from the pressure to do well, and the second you make a mistake you don't feel like you're doing as well as you should be. And the frustration builds from there. That's why I don't care. If I eliminate any pressure to do well, then I really free myself up to do things I wouldn't normally do that would allow me to take the game in ways I would have thought of when I was concentrating on doing things really well.

But as a whole I think you're right, I think that the South has a lot more rage, but again, I think it's because we feel like we're expected to do really well by others and more importantly, ourselves.

/psychological rant

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i don't know of anyone who's going through the "going too hard all the time" phase in NC.

i don't know of any friendships being broken because people wanna get better.

i think a rr would be good. significantly more often do i get bored playing the same matchup than i find things i need to "work on" for a long period of time. if i'm playing a matchup in friendlies with the purpose to get better, i try to really analyze the first few matches to see where i can get hits, and why i'm getting hit. then i really try to use that data for a few more matches. too much more than that and i just get tired and wanna do something different, which then devolves into me playing falcon, mario, or roy.

my enjoyment comes from reading people. it comes from comboing with ganon, and getting off with fox. i like getting closer to the top, being closer to the best. My fun comes from being "too serious" and wanting to get better.

Ocean, what did you like about this game that you feel you don't have anymore? i feel like i haven't seen you at anything in a while...

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
edit: dunno how i double posted...

snap where did you go from the GH^2? all we did was play teams and have a good time. i go on a food run and you left. i really wanted to play your marth with my fox and ganon.

double edit: 0 room, if you leave yourself in a situation where during a match, you remain nonchalant, I would assume that means you're not putting too much weight on your next move during a match. If you're not thinking about your next move, but your opponent is, it probably puts you at a disadvantage. If you have certain patterns when you're busy not caring and your opponent catches on, and you don't realize that you had those habits until a half hour after the match, your reluctance to adjust during a set will inevitably cap your performance.

if your argument is that your open mindedness renders your opponent incapable of predicting you then...well good luck with that, and i look forward to our mm :)

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
edit: dunno how i double posted...

snap where did you go from the GH^2? all we did was play teams and have a good time. i go on a food run and you left. i really wanted to play your marth with my fox and ganon.
Me and moo had to go to his house for his dads UFC bash sorry

But My donkey kong was def getting off in that back room

John Boney witness the ****

But seriously NEXT TIME MAH DUDE

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
More than my frustrations with the game (of which I have many and now see that they are just inherently part of the game) I am frankly just tired of knocking other peoples' characters off the stage.

And also, every time I sit in my backyard with somebody or several people over who play Smash, I enjoy the conversations and laughs so much more. Melee is fun sometimes but I feel like I frequently miss out on the real experience of eccentric, interesting people who I just happen to know through Smash. My boredoms having nothing to do with NC getting more or less serious, only that having much less free time with my job, makes me realize how hard it is to fit everything and everyone in, especially when all it always turns into is playing Smash.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Can't knock that. Melee is my release these days but as long as I'm with smashers I tend to not mind what we're doing too much since you guys **** lol <3

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
yesterday reminded me of what a funny mother****er cam is.
I love that guy.

and josh too.
he ain't bad.
<3

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
So what tournaments are coming up besides Asheboro and g6. Oh yea and snap do whatever you gotta do before hand to make sure your definitely gonna be able to get us that bracket. Even if you gotta run some mock tournaments thru t.o to make sure its gonna work. We don't need to see no file got corrupted posts in the results thread.
In other news, im thinking about giving up on the fox vs falco match up and just keep doing the ditto. I feel like my best way to deal with lasers is to shoot my own

:phone:

stingers

Smash Obsessed
So what tournaments are coming up besides Asheboro and g6. Oh yea and snap do whatever you gotta do before hand to make sure your definitely gonna be able to get us that bracket. Even if you gotta run some mock tournaments thru t.o to make sure its gonna work. We don't need to see no file got corrupted posts in the results thread.
In other news, im thinking about giving up on the fox vs falco match up and just keep doing the ditto. I feel like my best way to deal with lasers is to shoot my own

why dont you just shine them?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer

UNCC this weekend and maybe Slasher's sometime after Asheboro.

And platform camping, OOS options(WD, Usmash, shine), and FH/DJ aerial DI Nair/Bair tricks take you far with Fox vs Falco.

Because you get that lag once you reflect a laser and end up comboed. I wanna learn to ps but I don't play vs enough falco

PS isn't a cureall vs Falco like everyone thinks it is. Solid gameplay is much better than exploiting that one mechanic that's super tough to actually "master."

0Room

Smash Lord
if your argument is that your open mindedness renders your opponent incapable of predicting you then...well good luck with that, and i look forward to our mm :)
Lol not to that extreme. I look for patterns, combo opportunities, and grabs, but I'm saying if I miss an L cancel and get killed for it I'm not letting it to get to me like I would have before.

I think a better answer would probably be that I accept that I'm bad and that allows me to play without worry about my so called "reputation".

It deals with a phenomenon called "stereotype threat", where if you feel like there's a stereotype or idea [such that, if I'm the best here I'm going to lose to the kid I beat all the time, and he's going to take the title] then you actually end up performing WORSE than if the stereotype/idea hadn't become salient in the first place.
So that's pretty much where I'm going with that idea. I have a general plan, I try to avoid patterns, look for patterns and opportunities, but I'm going to play my hardest and whatever happens happens. I'm not going to allow myself to get in the way of my play.

Make sense?

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
smashers.

thats all that needs to be said on the subject, those who are at fault know what they did

In other news hours of DK dittos with knorr last night...THE HUMANITY

****ing ******s

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
Even if fox beats falco, my falco beat falco more than my fox beats falco. I would rather 3 stock someone in falco dittos than one stock them fox vs falco

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Everyone should stop being a downer and the enjoy each others company and play the damned video game. Or hang out, or take a walk in the park, or get elevated, or just talk, or **** girls and then talk about it

Ragaflaga super

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Here's what you do.

Tell him you want to challenge him.

Be like, "Let's play five matches, and if I win one, you gotta go to Green Greens with me.

If you convince him to accept, he will then sit down with you and play up to 5 matches with you.

He will be stern and will definitely not want to lose.

You will then we playing against "trying his hardest" PP.

This is your ultimate purpose

your true test as a warrior

If you can beat him when he's in that mode

Top Bottom