• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! Updated 8/14/14!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
LOL, seeing someone other than me post something like this, makes me laugh a lot. Also, seeing some confidence makes my heart =). Indeed, you CHOSE the character in the first place, why would you john about it when you knew full well from the beginning the consequences of taking that character! There can be only death!!!

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
characters don't matter.

once you're thinking, you play against the person. smith taught me that.
yea but don't develop a play style based on that one person or you will lose to other people using that same character but with a completely different style. Some people get to comfortable with things that may work vs one person and get frustrated when it doesn't work vs the other

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
to me, thats the difference between playing against a person and playing against a character.

just cause your fox does A, B, and C doesn't mean other foxes will. when i'm playing you, i have to play against you, and when i'm playing someone else, i have to find out what works against them.

while understanding what tendencies good players may have based on their characters, it's important not to just assume that every person will do the same thing. matchups are important to a degree, but if you can find a habit, thats much more powerful and important than just knowing a chaingrab or how how to cc->jab.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
focus on the character you're playing against, not the player. it doesn't matter if you're fighting kevin or bden, you're facing falco. if you isolate against the idea of the person you're playing against it's easier to forgo nerves, and recognize patterns.

but that's just my thoughts on the subject.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
meh, i guess that's sort of one way to look at it. but bden's falco isn't the same as josh's falco which isn't the same as pp's falco. i have to be able to tell the difference between them if i want to punish bden's rolls, or josh's spotdodges, or pp's pattern of platform choices and laser timings.

if i just fight "falco" then i'll probably only be thinking about basic things like how to fight any falco, which isn't enough. it's not enough to try to just powershield lasers, fair over lasers, do stuff out of grabs, etc.

i have to pressure them into making decisions i can read, and what decisions those are depend on the person. realizing and recognizing and adapting to their specific tendencies are what truly win matches.

:ganondorf:

0Room

Smash Lord
I agree with both of those things.

This is the way I see it.
You need a general strategy against a character. For example, you need to know the ins and outs of this character: what's safe on shield, what you can do off of grabs, what percentage you need to really do a strong hit.
However, after that, you need to work with that strategy around the person.

That person is a wall between you and your goal.
"And if you decide that you're going to be a wall that's standing in my way, then I have something that will open a hole in you every time! And that something... is my drill!"

Sorry too much Gurren Lagann recently.
But in all reality, figure out their habits as you have your strategy. It's easier for me as Falcon as most of my strategies revolve around getting someone to a certain percent, then uthrow->knee xD

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yea but in a tournament situation, you only has one match and 3 stocks to do it or you lose the set
thats why i have to get better at it. build a good overall strategy but quickly find and analyze habits to take advantage of. I know you're good at this ryan, so in the coming months help me out so we can both **** harder.

kevin, i didn't tell you, but i started to realize all this when i noticed you adapting to the things that did work in our matches. i was just barely paying enough attention to notice you adapting, but i wasn't paying attention enough to adapt back. that's when i realized i was being dumb, and that i can be far, far smarter than that. the game isn't about tech skill or anything; it really is a game of the mind, and looking at your opponent, why you got hit, and changing it if you can to gain the advantage.

it's really a whole different game than the one i was playing before.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Playing Mango is the pinnacle of such play, let me tell you Chris. When I was super intuitive about smash and everything was clicking, it literally felt like the characters weren't even there and our minds were just probing into each other. It's a wonderful feeling, and one which everyone should be striving to look for if they want to be successful in my opinion.

I'm willing to help people get there though obviously haha.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yeah, i think i watched mango vids not too long before we had played. it's what helped to start thinking at least about trying to look at adaptations. then i played you and noted what you were doing. then i looked at the "how to get better thread" and saw wobbles' post from like '07 talking about mindgames and how to predict and opponent and how to break your own habits, and things of that sort and once it was all together i was just like...damn.

i was motivated to think about these things right before pound, because i wanted to play well there, but i forgot about them and just wanted to move fast like rockcrock after it.

lol i'm dumb. but i try not to stay dumb.

i'm a scrub. but i'ma try not to stay a scrub.

ughhh why am i just now learning this a year and a half in :urg:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Chris, I learned tons of "obvious" things no one told me long after I "should have" known them. The big examples escape me now but even after RoM2 where I got 2nd to only Hbox and ran train on everyone I learned some basic as all stuff about mixups or conditioning or lasers probably LOL I remember it happening. Anyway, just know that this stuff comes as it does, and pushing the limits of that understanding will help you discover more and more "obvious" things that will only serve to push you farther in your understanding of smash and yourself.

Basically, be happy you found this out instead of sad haha.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
well i'm glad i found it out, but now it means i have a good reason to play for the next forever. reading people will always be fun. i was halfway hoping i'd stay a scrub for a while longer and then quit, and none of you would really miss me cuz i was just a random ganon main who came, stayed a couple years, and left.

now i'm gonna start reading all you guys' moves and i'll get better and once we have more actual NC tournaments i'll place higher, me and ryan will start winning money in teams, and it'll become significantly harder to quit.

basically, now that i have the means and the ability to improve, i won't be able to stop any time soon. ugh, why is this game so good???

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
well i'm glad i found it out, but now it means i have a good reason to play for the next forever. reading people will always be fun. i was halfway hoping i'd stay a scrub for a while longer and then quit, and none of you would really miss me cuz i was just a random ganon main who came, stayed a couple years, and left.

now i'm gonna start reading all you guys' moves and i'll get better and once we have more actual NC tournaments i'll place higher, me and ryan will start winning money in teams, and it'll become significantly harder to quit.

basically, now that i have the means and the ability to improve, i won't be able to stop any time soon. ugh, why is this game so good???

Being remembered as a strong part of the scene is a good thing! With a good attitude you'll do a lot while you're here, and hopefully your influence will last long past whenever you quit.

This goes out to anyone reading, of course.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
will people remember me more for my smash skills or for my other contributions to the community??
Dsmashing or flirting with Kevin and Kyle? hmmmm

Anyway, you can't just fight a person or character. You have know the match up throughout and the hit boxes, read what their doing and also consider the type of player they are/what they like to go for. Are they greedy? Do they combo hard? How good are they at teching/grab situations? Can they powershield? Will they get flustered after a 0-death? How do they tend to recover? etc Tendency, conditioning and reaction are so major.

These are things you can deduce within a couple stocks of playing somebody but the background knowledge of players is helpful (or sometimes counterintuitive) for picking up on these things faster. The more options they utilize, the harder it will be for you to record and punish their habits. That is not to say patterns are bad per se; good patterns typically emerge in particular sections of combos when they generally cover the best options, examples being stuff like edge guarding or the wake up game.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
will people remember me more for my smash skills or for my other contributions to the community??
Despite your skill you put yourself out there as a social person so it'd be more of your social stuff currently and probably for those who knew you, but otherwise it'd be your skill I'd say.

Haha I always think the focus of smashers(maybe gamers in general?) on winning is funny. "If I think they'll do this then I can win!" "If I fix this bad habit or correct these bad things then I'll be trickier!" So much emphasis put on things done wrong and negativity. I won't deny that that's how I learned(especially from my own videos), but I feel like it's good to break away from those types of thoughts and focus more on what is GOOD to do or what you can EXPAND upon in your own play or even what your opponent does WELL that you can take from them. I'm guilty of not working on this much and if it weren't for Cactuar I wouldn't even know my good points myself LOL but they're important to know I believe, as the more perspective and understanding you have about yourself and smash can only serve to help you improve more.

I mean, I got to where I was without that mostly(except the expanding part lol) but that doesn't mean it's the best way to handle things.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
I think there's been some good stuff posted here, but i felt like adding a .01 or .02... Not saying I demonstrate this, but it's my opinion. guess I'm kind of bored at work as well.

in my experience, the basics are what own in any video game. which is why a lot of people are fully able to recognize/understand most of their mistakes(most understand the basics)... I just think fixing the mistakes is more so the issue. By basics I generally mean spacing and switching up / reading techs(****, why did I tech there.. Should have known it was coming. . . or why did i approach right then when all it did was give him a slight spacing advantage) Yeah there's a lot of effective things to practice/utilize in smash but in the long run I think most slip up with more simple things.

I think playing the basics to a T is nearly 50% of playing at the "top level". . . then also nearly half of it, getting into your opponent's head which has already been mentioned. The blending of these two is the most common edge that someone playing at the "top level" has over your typical player. The only games I feel like I can demonstrate this somewhat with, are the quake series games... nothing gives me more confidence than being able to read my opponent like a book / knowing that I can wear one down with nearly nothing but the basics. here's a funny link that made me think about the confidence part(just for laughs, completely unrelated with my post): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epSS4hfWX58

I went hand grenades only against the best player on the west side of the country in q2 about a month ago, took 19 overtimes to wear him down, that was the nade(s) that did it... isp was also ****, pinged 180(dial up speed). he wasn't so happy, good times.

0Room

Smash Lord
I think that's always been the conversation though.
Everyone asks if tech skill or mind games are more important, even on the back room application.
But basically like Dorsey said, you can't have just one part. You need both.

Chris I kind of understand your feeling atm. It's like yeah, I can improve, but that means I'm going to be spending a lot of time and energy.
But hey, as long as you love the game and the people playing, can you really complain? That's another thing I really like about this game. It's not just competitive, it's extremely social as well. I wouldn't have met any of you if I hadn't played this game, and I'm glad I did. It really adds to my life, to know that there are some people who will never give up at something until they're the best. Even though that might not have anything to do with what I'm doing at the moment, knowing that determination has been really helpful to me.

So yeah, we may not know everything we're supposed to or do everything's we're supposed to....
But who's going to let that stop us?

Top Bottom