• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! Updated 8/14/14!

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
I remember when me and cam and moo sat in the hotel room and just told each other stories about ourselves for like two hours. goooood times

also ILL MM any of you scrubs.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
imo you should just make the prs with tourney reuslts
imo
i agree with this. tourney results = out best representation of skill, it's about time people stop johning(including the panelists). I am 100% positive in saying that adding the discretion of the panelists for silly matters like seeding, opponent, and match-up makes this process not as fair. How marginal is this difference? In all likelihood, not much. But there is no denying it... there also would never be ANY debate about these stupid ****ing rankings. Our state has always had trouble with doing the "RIGHT" thing though. We like the popular thing instead(usually whatever pp says, no offense kevin).

put on your man pants and buck up NC

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Aw man nando this will be awesome I suck vs falcon and this will be a good opurtunity for me to improve :p

Idk 1 dollar good enough to get your time :D

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
That being said, even if it is mainly a communication problem, it doesn't necessarily mean you or I are not self-absorbed.
there isn't a problem.

i just had to say something to quell the sickness i got from reading about how good josh thinks he's been to me.. it's not the kind of "good" i value, i guess, especially since there's so much unspoken negativity on my end, but that's in the past..... seeing that post just reminded me of the past, and i couldn't really keep it in any longer.

and maybe you're right darksyde... when i'm caught up in the adult world where money = morality, i'll start to devalue higher levels of human interaction in exchange for the importance of green ****ing paper. it'll probably goddamn happen.

and yeah man, thanks a lot for that $60 bday present, i'm serious, i really appreciated it. it sucked to be robbed $80 that weekend. i was going to pay you back, but you decided to turn it into a gift instead of a loan. maybe i shouldn't have listened and just payed you back since you're reminding me of it now.

let me know if you ever need me to throw you any bones, but i assure you, i don't need to share anything about myself or really even WANT to anymore. and that's just the way it is now.... i guess the kind of people i like to get close to are the ones that are just naturally inquisitive about stuff, not the ones i have to remind to be curious.....

<333333333333333333 my nanney

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
also I just want to be honest and say ive been making some serious attempts to improve.

and i think its showing in my play.

And its the best feeling in the world.

lord karn

Smash Master
there isn't a problem.

i just had to say something to quell the sickness i got from reading about how good josh thinks he's been to me.. it's not the kind of "good" i value, i guess, especially since there's so much unspoken negativity on my end, but that's in the past..... seeing that post just reminded me of the past, and i couldn't really keep it in any longer.

and maybe you're right darksyde... when i'm caught up in the adult world where money = morality, i'll start to devalue higher levels of human interaction in exchange for the importance of green ****ing paper. it'll probably goddamn happen.

and yeah man, thanks a lot for that $60 bday present, i'm serious, i really appreciated it. it sucked to be robbed $80 that weekend. i was going to pay you back, but you decided to turn it into a gift instead of a loan. maybe i shouldn't have listened and just payed you back since you're reminding me of it now.

let me know if you ever need me to throw you any bones, but i assure you, i don't need to share anything about myself or really even WANT to anymore. and that's just the way it is now.... i guess the kind of people i like to get close to are the ones that are just naturally inquisitive about stuff, not the ones i have to remind to be curious.....

<333333333333333333 my nanney
I was referring mainly to the coming of as self-absorbed thing, not the being good to you thing.

lord karn

Smash Master
i agree with this. tourney results = out best representation of skill, it's about time people stop johning(including the panelists). I am 100% positive in saying that adding the discretion of the panelists for silly matters like seeding, opponent, and match-up makes this process not as fair. How marginal is this difference? In all likelihood, not much. But there is no denying it... there also would never be ANY debate about these stupid ****ing rankings. Our state has always had trouble with doing the "RIGHT" thing though. We like the popular thing instead(usually whatever pp says, no offense kevin).

Wait. . . what? The only thing we talk about when we talk about rankings is who beat who. We compile a list of the various players who did pretty well, and compare there records vs. each other. I don't recall either Kevin or I complaining about it, just mentioning that this one was hard/controversial. And that only has to do with the fact that the data can sometimes be not so clear-cut.

For instance, Cam entered one tournament. He lost to Twitch and someone higher up on the prs (don't remember who). The only notable win he had was vs. David. So basically, that tells us that he can be no higher than Twitch, but no higher than David. On this ranking, that was something like 3 different spots. Usually, these windows are less clear cut, because players have more data, or there is more data for the people they beat/lost to.

However, this time, thanks to G6, players had extensive records vs. out of state. Two of the players this time had several major wins vs. oos players, and its hard to judge how important those wins are. When you have players with little data, and players with a lot of data vs. oos, it makes things difficult.

Oh yeah, we also didn't have a single bracket from any of the tournaments this period, which made things kind of hard. @_@

But all that being said, I'm pretty sure we made a pretty accurate list this time. The reason I said it was going to be controversial is because a lot of things happened this period that people didn't know about (i.e. Ali beating Cyrain).

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
interesting.

cam, we shall play and talk this weekend. it's good to have you back.

josh, i may take a mm from you. as one without a job, such things are come and go for me, but i'll check my account and such, and see what i'm willing to risk.

snap, as always, i will mm you at any given moment ever.

fiz, we should mm soon.

moo, we need to mm soon. i actually am sincerely interested in seeing which one of us is better right now after not playing each other in a good year.

jim, my body is ready. bring your ganon. bring your wallet. we will do battle, and enjoy ourselves along the way.

keith wtf why are you here? mm?

nando: i kinda wanted to mm you at pound, but we never even played singles friendlies. if you come to G63 and i'm there, we should definitely do battle.

karn: things woulda been lulzy if i had won our mm. i can see why you don't like to do them, but i think it would behoove you expand your willingness to put forth effort. the monetary aspect is there, the PR aspect is there, the only thing that isn't there is the opportunity to play "the next guy", which, if you win the money, you can consider that to be the case. thats usually how i try to do it anyway...

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I want to MM EVERYONE

I might go to a tourney tomorrow considering I'm in baltimore atm. Not sure if I feel motivated enough. There is a tourney 5 mins away but it's brawl. Maybe a few ppl would want some melee friendlies lol. Inui will be there I think

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
black chris ill mm you at the next G6.

but if i win, you have to promise to quit melee for good.

name ur terms if i lose.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Yes karn but who beat who is still somewhat subjective to you guys. I am not saying ya'll have bad intentions. If it was initially based solely off of tournament results, and your discretion of who beat who was solely on this, then yes... until then, no it's not right(true competition). It should be who placed where, not who played who... but as I said, it has become the popular idea around here NOT to do this here and It's already been made clear to me that it ain't happening. I just decided to follow suit with the dramatic direction of this thread.

lord karn

Smash Master
Yes karn but who beat who is still somewhat subjective to you guys. I am not saying ya'll have bad intentions. If it was initially based solely off of tournament results, and your discretion of who beat who was solely on this, then yes... until then, no it's not right(true competition). It should be who placed where, not who played who... but as I said, it has become the popular idea around here NOT to do this here and It's already been made clear to me that it ain't happening. I just decided to follow suit with the dramatic direction of this thread.
So if I won a tournament that only had scrubs it should make a difference.

If you consider every set that was played it is just an entirely better way to do prs of any kind.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
I want to MM EVERYONE

I might go to a tourney tomorrow considering I'm in baltimore atm. Not sure if I feel motivated enough. There is a tourney 5 mins away but it's brawl. Maybe a few ppl would want some melee friendlies lol. Inui will be there I think
Come to Syphers tomorrow!!

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
By that logic, I should take every friendly seriously if I want to get better. Which is something I've started doing recently. And I'm not completely against accepting mms. I've been thinking I should do it more. The thing that annoys me is that you are completely delegitimizing people who don't, and I think its perfectly acceptable to not do mms.

I'm also fine with counting mms. We have always counted them. If people want to do more mms then awesome. Makes my job easier.

And you always say I put myself higher on the rankings, when the only reason I get that high is I'm one of the only players who consistently enters tournaments. I always have way more data than others. If your good and you don't have enough data, then you can't be placed high. Our rankings have always been a pretty damn good representation of tournament placing imo.
Well I think it's honestly pretty weak to not do MMs as that sort of thing comes with being a competitor. Obviously you can choose whether to do so or not though.

And yeah the list will have some key deviations from tournament results but usually the stuff isn't THAT different.

Okay, just got done reading the last few pages. I really don't think we should even update yet, honestly. Too much non attendance and randomness, but whatever.

David, thanks for the kind words. Those big SD's during our set really cost me and you played clutch the last few stocks.

I love losing for dumb reasons. I've got to stop choking/SD'ing. People only remember results not details. *sigh*

I'm really not worried about these rankings or whether I get put on them though it would be hilarious if I wasn't. I hope everybody knows what's up. I'll accept any MM if you have doubts, especially Falco dittos.

Also, lmao at Cam trashtalking every Falco in the state. There was our last tourney set, I won (where I 4 stocked his Puff and ***** his Falcon after he refused to ditto me, then ***** him in Falco dittos after the set), the fact that he won like 3 matches in 2 or 3 hours the last time we played (he apparently wasn't feeling well, understandable) or all the tournaments he ducked out on. I'm fairly certain I've at least beaten if not 2/3 stocked his Puff the last few times he's played it, with Falco/Fox/Falcon.

Cam is a really good player who talks really big (rightfully so, I really respect his abilities and him) but he always ducks my offers to MM him in dittos, doesn't come to tourneys and then denounces ALL of our friendlies. Talk about unbeatable. This is not even meant to be salty (I'm not) or trashtalk, I am legitimately frustrated that he denounces his peers/fellow Falco mains, but then won't even give me an opportunity to prove myself against him.
We need to update so we can get a more active period started. Putting more results on top of the time and oddities that have already happened would only make the list harder to do and probably aggravate more people in the end.

Results are the most objective way to see things, so you can't totally blame people for wanting to go off of them. Subjective elements of matches have their place too, just not in a public setting usually. I let my emotional BS stay on the sidelines of all of the majors for a long time and never said anything despite how badly I wanted to and how many people thought I was worse than I was because of it. It's just something that makes your life easier in one way and hard in another I feel.

PS choking/SD'ing tends to be a result of things you do a player.

You should trash talk cam for these things you said in the last paragraph though obviously. It would **** lol.

PSS: Is Kevin not a Falco main in your mind either? By your logic, he's a scrub that quit Mario.
LOOOOOOOL

idc about the argument at this point but this is hilarious lmfaooo

**** you mike

karn + josh + camron: 5$ mm
GET EM JIM!!!

I can definitely see where Josh is coming from, because I do the same thing. I generally talk about myself and then wait for people to interrupt me and say something, and then I really enjoy listening and giving advice. A lot of people see me as self absorbed because they were raised not to interrupt, and then I just go on rambling about stuff. It really just goes back to how people are raised. My mom, most of my good friends and others in my family tend to interrupt each other a lot, so I came to expect people to interrupt me if they wanted to talk rather than me asking them questions.

However, I have come to realize that it is important to think about the talking styles that other people have. I don't think I'm as self-absorbed as some people view me, but at the same time the fact that I expect interruption should have no privilege in a conversation. Most of the times these kinds of problems go back to difference in style, rather than to specific character faults. Just gotta think about what other people expect in a conversation.

That being said, even if it is mainly a communication problem, it doesn't necessarily mean you or I are not self-absorbed.
This was super helpful for me to know about you and people. I never interrupt soooo yeah lol. =p

yo

how did this thread go from 'yeah! lets improve in melee as a state!' to 'let's spill our guts and emotions like little girls at a slumber party'?

i will never understand this community
This is mainly an NC thing LOL. But yeah we're crazy. Hopefully we'll be getting out of the emotion part soon because that keeps holding us back...

i have not been keeping up

but spilling guts and slumber parties are fun!!!!!

just ask kevin ;)

<.<

<3 boners
LOOOOOOL f u fiz

We're only human.....discretion has to come from someone.

And tournament results still can bring up wonky issues(you'd be surprised)....not to mention that without TIO files like we've been having then we wouldn't even have anything to go on this period.....

hahaha <3

yo i really wanna go to G6 cause i heard they're really fun

and ive never been to NC
heck yeah nando come! <3

so we can **** you obv lol =p

also I just want to be honest and say ive been making some serious attempts to improve.

and i think its showing in my play.

And its the best feeling in the world.
HEW YE errone **** errone

I want to MM EVERYONE

LOL tell inui I said zupp

black chris ill mm you at the next G6.

but if i win, you have to promise to quit melee for good.

name ur terms if i lose.
good one

Who beat who is pretty obvious bro lol. I mean unless you're comparing how much someone beating someone is to someone else beating someone else or something similar. We've been able to handle such difficult decisions in a pretty objective way despite the subjectivish nature of the procedure.

Nothing wrong with having your own opinion man. I know things would be different if we used results but it's not what the panel feels is best atm but if it were to be argued about I'm sure we'd go along with the discussion.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Maybe more than 3 but less than 4 I'm pretty sure (and it was 4.5 months this time around), and I know MM's count but they should be encouraged somehow. More data = sooner updates and easier decisions.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Maybe more than 3 but less than 4 I'm pretty sure (and it was 4.5 months this time around), and I know MM's count but they should be encouraged somehow. More data = sooner updates and easier decisions.
Well yeah this time IN PARTICULAR is one of the longest periods or maybe the longest we've EVER had doing the PRs. That's not my fault or the panel's that people quit hosting......we had 3 tournaments in that 4.5 months and we usually wait for 4 now so I don't know how we could have done better except use like basically no data at all after ETD or something and that's ridiculous.

And I gave ideas on encouraging MMs yesterday....you didn't read them? It was those who decline lose standing in some way in PR decisions(ultimately seeding decisions if you think about it) and something else....maybe we could make those on the PR(except for me I guess lolol) be required to do at least 1 MM with another PR potential candidate per period? I dunno.

But yeah I dunno if we'd really have enough MMs to start updating after 3 tourneys again or not....that'd be awesome though I agree.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Don't act like I'm pointing the finger at the panel. And no, I don't read every one of your posts Kev LOL, I'm sorry. I like your idea about required MM's for people in attendance at tournaments. I have no idea how to regulate it but if a system could be figured out I believe it would help things out a lot (and prevent rankings not being updated in 4 and a half months).

EDIT: Redd, I think I'll be there.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Random question: Hypothetically, If I were to win APEX, would I be eligible for ranking in NC? If so, how would you know where to put me?

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I remember one time, BC Canada had a problem ranking their top 3 (at the time Dieslow, Blunted, and Diakonos) so they all got together at a smashfest and had $20 mms with each other

noobking commentated

they were pretty fun to watch

fun hype too

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
attendance could be accounted for easily, based off tournament results. That would be the right way to do it, but no we put our faith in the panel, lol. It's not an opinion, this is the only whack *** community/game i've ever seen do this type of stuff. If someone doesn't show up to a tournament then oh damn well, tough luck for not showing up(in anything else). But if you REALLY wanted to, you could assign values to each player to "weight" each tournament but have it initially based off tournament results instead of just you and karn discussing it.

And how can anyone take what "the panel" feels seriously when they have been slacking with these rankings? ;)

Moophobia

Smash Champion
**** these prs people don't try against certain people or don't show up hardly ever or just don't enter melee who are good as ****. ****'s stupid and we always fight over it.
**** yall rabble rabble rabble.
Stay free I'm out.
SCOOPS

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Random question: Hypothetically, If I were to win APEX, would I be eligible for ranking in NC? If so, how would you know where to put me?
Hmmmmm, if others from NC attended Apex then it would sure help, also it would depend on who you beat.

attn: everyone MM me

thanx
what he said

I remember one time, BC Canada had a problem ranking their top 3 (at the time Dieslow, Blunted, and Diakonos) so they all got together at a smashfest and had $20 mms with each other

noobking commentated

they were pretty fun to watch

fun hype too
Yeah that idea was AWESOME and I'd love to do that here!

attendance could be accounted for easily, based off tournament results. That would be the right way to do it, but no we put our faith in the panel, lol. It's not an opinion, this is the only whack *** community/game i've ever seen do this type of stuff. If someone doesn't show up to a tournament then oh damn well, tough luck for not showing up(in anything else). But if you REALLY wanted to, you could assign values to each player to "weight" each tournament but have it initially based off tournament results instead of just you and karn discussing it.

And how can anyone take what "the panel" feels seriously when they have been slacking with these rankings? ;)
Then someone that goes to EVERYTHING gets to be ranked higher than someone who can't make it to everything? In this new period of 4 tourneys per period maybe we can make the cutoff 2 tournaments in a period and if it's 1 you lose some standing? I would be up for a negotiation on that, but for the most part we should respect that people can't make it to EVERYTHING so a punishment shouldn't be placed on those who attend tournaments somewhat regularly.

And arbitrary values to players? ehhhh that sounds messy and controversial.

And how have we been slacking, exactly? We have the list finished were just waiting for the picture. Unless you mean how long it took to finish the list, and you can thank difficult data for it taking longer than one meeting to figure out as accurately as possible.

We didn't know about it then.
what he said

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
If it's weighted based off the results, then NO, someone who goes to every tournament will NOT get ranked higher. If players are assigned values, then the sum of those values can dictate the value of each tournament(in regard to some tournaments counting more than others). These values should be based off tournament results. It's a very easy concept to understand if you actually try. These values would not be arbitrary either, they would be based off results. And as I said, in any other competitive gaming community if you don't show up then oh well, anyway.

Arbitrary: Based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system

This word is more applicable in regard to the panel than what I suggested.

I was kidding about the slacking thing.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
If it's weighted based off the results, then NO, someone who goes to every tournament will NOT get ranked higher. If players are assigned values, then the sum of those values can dictate the value of each tournament(in regard to some tournaments counting more than others). These values should be based off tournament results. It's a very easy concept to understand if you actually try. These values would not be arbitrary either, they would be based off results. And as I said, in any other competitive gaming community if you don't show up then oh well, anyway.

Arbitrary: Based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system

This word is more applicable in regard to the panel than what I suggested.

I was kidding about the slacking thing.
If someone only went to G6s and there was one G6 next period of 4 tournaments, would you say that person should be punished if they were typically PR material?

Other gaming communities probably have more tournaments because there are more people.

We chose which system to use.

Top Bottom