• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! (Updated 2/11/10!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
As for samus having any kind of distinctive, solid advantage on ice climbers besides his usual silly little bag of tricks

Sorry phoot. I usually don't read the posts (lolllolololol ifitdoesntpertaintome) but since you pointed it out, I wanted to reaction image it.

sheik VS marth is not even.

it's like 6-4 sheik-marth on most stages, and on others I'd give it to sheik 7-3.

Sheik is actually better on BF and yoshis story than marth is IMO. needle cancels and playing a patient/fast/campy style is the death of most characters on those stages VS sheik. easily.

see- reno.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Setting up for tip shots or a regular fsmash isn't too hard though. I don't think that the fact that marth has to use either of those to finish a stock in the high % is insanely disadvantageous or anything..and if it was a really good marth i doubt that problem would come up much.

7:3 is a little intense. I think it's 55/45 marth, or on an even more even playing field even...maybe.

HER*****

7-3 isn't unwinnable... do you guys even know ratios? lol

It means sheik wins the match 7 times out of 10 on those stages if both players are of the same skill and experience.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
actually, ratios don't mean that in this sense exactly. 7:3 means that shiek has a 70% chance of winning EACH match, not that the end result will be 7 vs 3. In essence, you're also saying that sheik is twice as much capable to beat marth than marth is to beat sheik (1 : 3/7).....which I gotta disagree with! I'm open to the possibility of sheik being a little better but not by that much.

example of what i mean: lets say marth has a 90/10 advantage on kirby. Do you think kirby will win 1 out of every 10 matches? Extremely doubtful. Because it's not the end result, it's kirby going into each match with 10% chance of winning, as a character.

R3N0

Smash Lord
its hard for marth to kill sheik after 90%. if the sheik doesn't get fsmash spammed, marth can't "combo" into a death move.

sheik can just ***** whip marth at any percentage with dthrow fair / dthrow usmash / dthrow anything.
its a hard match for marth. but maybe not 7:3, i wanna say 65:35

Rawfuls

Smash Journeyman
A good marth player should never let sheik get that high to start with. not that it never happens, but as a marth player i know im aiming to gimp a sheik long before 90 percent. Not trying to imply his lack of killing ability at igh percents is a complete non issue, but i think you're putting more emphasis on it than it deserves. On that note i would agree to 6:4 in sheiks favor but definately not 7:3.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Sheik has a great recovery that is going to make things harder, even for Marth, to edgeguard, so I think it stands to say that Sheik should have the matchup 60:40 or maybe even 65:35.

And what Dorsey said about the ratios.

And lol sup Reno bro.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You know how it is man, doin the Catfish combos to fools and all the good stuff. =p

On topic: what are the thoughts about Marth vs Fox? Even or not? I have mixed feelings on this matchup. Marth only needs one grab for his kills, but Fox can easily get around Marth's range with his speed and combo/gimp him pretty well.

R3N0

Smash Lord
if marth has 1st stock.. marth should be able to ledge / edge camp w/ grabbing..
however it depends on how aggressive the fox is.. if its campy.. and good at it marth has no chance.

but if marth gets close enough, marth has 0-death grab kill combo, so there should be no excuse. overall still in fox's favor. imo.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Man, people keep telling me this, and then I go friendly scar, he repeatedly falls into my shields and I kill him from low-to-death every stock by chaingrabbing him.
a) never heard of you
b) haven't lost any tourney set to a non-chu ICs player in foreverish

also if you're an IC player and you play against someone like me in friendlies i'm not going to camp/space the **** out of you, it's a pretty miserable exercise that i reserve for tourney play (and i don't think it's quite a stretch to imagine others do too)

sooooooo yeah unless i played you in tourney at some point within this year and you almost beat me this statement is basically entirely misleading

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
a) never heard of you

also if you're an IC player and you play against someone like me in friendlies i'm not going to camp/space the **** out of you, it's a pretty miserable exercise that i reserve for tourney play (and i don't think it's quite a stretch to imagine others do too)

sooooooo yeah unless i played you in tourney at some point within this year and you almost beat me this statement is basically entirely misleading
lol THank you scar. He's an arrogant prick. XD

actually, ratios don't mean that in this sense exactly. 7:3 means that shiek has a 70% chance of winning EACH match, not that the end result will be 7 vs 3. In essence, you're also saying that sheik is twice as much capable to beat marth than marth is to beat sheik (1 : 3/7).....which I gotta disagree with! I'm open to the possibility of sheik being a little better but not by that much.

example of what i mean: lets say marth has a 90/10 advantage on kirby. Do you think kirby will win 1 out of every 10 matches? Extremely doubtful. Because it's not the end result, it's kirby going into each match with 10% chance of winning, as a character.
uh doesn't that mean the same thing?

If you play 10 matches, with somebody having a 10% chance to win each match... wouldn't that mean he SHOULD win 1 of the matches? Yeah....

Foxy

Smash Master
a) never heard of you

i'm pretty sure he knows he didn't seriously beat you. xD

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Umm, hey Scar, you should go to HERB 2. It'll be good.

@ Boss Hog: No because it's a 10% chance every match. Just doing more matches doesn't suddenly raise your odds.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hmm....that'll be third tournament after last update....and it IS Mask....

I'm gonna push for waiting longer for updates after this, but I think this is a good idea.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
scar said he's not coming to herb2 because last herb has a low melee turnout

same with pakman
That's only because it was Vilt's first huge tournament. Not showing up doesn't really fix the low turnout problem lol (my logic owns). Plus Scar knows there's a slim chance he'll take first with m2k there lol

stingers

Smash Obsessed
well you tell him that but as it stands he won't be here

which will decrease overall attendance a ****load...

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
How do you people just not get it lol

it's basic odds.
You're over-analyzing this. Smash doesn't really work with basic odds, because the ratios are not definite. It's more of a general outline based on common knowledge and tourney results (partially opinion-based). There are just too many other factors that come into play for someone to take such ratios in a literal sense.

You're over-analyzing this. Smash doesn't really work with basic odds, because the ratios are not definite. It's more of a general outline based on common knowledge and tourney results (partially opinion-based). There are just too many other factors that come into play for someone to take such ratios in a literal sense.
says the ganon player who agreed to a tournament match on hyrule temple

edit; also, how am I OVER-analyzing something by using BASIC odds as my argument?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom