• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! (Updated 2/11/10!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Am I wrong for thinking Game and Watch deserves a little more credit? I mean, sure his sheild is crap and his roll is crap and he's like the 2nd lightest char in the game and his recovery is predictable but his priority is so good, he's got good range and decent power

Aww **** it, nevermind. Leave him where he is. He's so good in doubles though. XD

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
well falco vs ganon ISN'T too bad... probably 60/40, right? But you gotta be even more on top of your edge game than PP(as an example) is with comboing or you'll get pummeled. When falco is off-stage dashing or up-Bing to ledge it's a total freebie for ganon. Pick your method of destruction, ganon ***** on the edge. But, capitalizing on these opportunities is the problem for him... not to mention hitting di's and sdi's.......and ic can be a little tough for ganon, but it's probably bc i'm really used to ace's style.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
well falco vs ganon ISN'T too bad... probably 60/40, right? But you gotta be even more on top of your edge game than PP(as an example) is with comboing or you'll get pummeled. When falco is off-stage dashing or up-Bing to ledge it's a total freebie for ganon. Pick your method of destruction, ganon ***** on the edge. But, capitalizing on these opportunities is the problem for him... not to mention hitting di's and sdi's.......and ic can be a little tough for ganon, but it's probably bc i'm really used to ace's style.
You're kidding right? Ganon beats IC out. He plays that match-up kinda like a powerhouse MArth. Ganon is awesome in this match-up because he can spam Fair and Jab and it's tough for us to get in so we're forced to dance outisde his range and look for openings. Ace may not be used to the IC match-up though.

I have to meet you. It'd be nice to see someone rep IC in NC better than I can.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Am I wrong for thinking Game and Watch deserves a little more credit? I mean, sure his sheild is crap and his roll is crap and he's like the 2nd lightest char in the game and his recovery is predictable but his priority is so good, he's got good range and decent power
G&W is one of the low tier's that I think is underrated.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Ironic that I found something interesting pertaining to just that today.

Buuuut, THE WARRIOR is bad vs Falco it seems. I dunno, he seemed fine vs Shiz. Mehhhhhh

GofG

Smash Champion
IC vs Ganon

Grab > Dthrow popo > Dair nana > Grab

ad nauseum

ganon's a lot easier to grab than falcon, albeit still difficult (**** yo' jab)

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
G&W is one of the low tier's that I think is underrated.
You just say that because I **** you with GaW. jkjkjkjk

Unless you go MArth on FoD. D:

As far as the IC/Ganon match-up goes, I still think it's ganon's advantage but the Climbers definitely have the tools to win it. I need to play Ace more. I've given up going Mewtwo against that guy. When I went IC, i did much better. Desynch Fsmash edgeguards are too cool against ganon. Especially when Ace atarts teching the hits. XD

And GofG, if you seriously believe that IC's matchups are determined by how easy the character is to chaingrab, you are sorely mistaken. Enjoy getting ***** by players that can space. I don't think I scored a single chaingrab at my tourney. All of my damage was from Bairs and Dsmash. XD

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Not kidding.. I actually think that IC destroy ganon, at least as much as falco does, 60/40.

i pm'd you the rest plur, my post was way too lengthy, i felt like peepee there for a sec.
I would've liked to have read all of it. XD

I'm confused about IC/Ganon. I would assume ICs could get in pretty close with their awesome WD, so Ganon's slower Fair couldn't always come out, and his Bair wouldn't knock them (in shieldstun) far enough away to really be a problem to grab Ganon as he lands. Of course he can jab, but of course ICs can Dsmash it.

If Ganon jumps away to aerial, can't ICs chase with a Uair, or maybe get behind him even if Ganon tries to jump away when close?

Ganon's normally beneficial grab game seems to suffer vs ICs that desynch well too, so they can shield all they want I would think.

If anyone wants to clarify on this, I'd be happy to hear it. I know Ganon can space, but I just feel that ICs have the tools to get around the spacing.

Vilt

Smash Lord
I would've liked to have read all of it. XD

I'm confused about IC/Ganon. I would assume ICs could get in pretty close with their awesome WD, so Ganon's slower Fair couldn't always come out, and his Bair wouldn't knock them (in shieldstun) far enough away to really be a problem to grab Ganon as he lands. Of course he can jab, but of course ICs can Dsmash it.

If Ganon jumps away to aerial, can't ICs chase with a Uair, or maybe get behind him even if Ganon tries to jump away when close?

Ganon's normally beneficial grab game seems to suffer vs ICs that desynch well too, so they can shield all they want I would think.

If anyone wants to clarify on this, I'd be happy to hear it. I know Ganon can space, but I just feel that ICs have the tools to get around the spacing.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'm not trying to discredit you PLUR, but I'm not sure how those things I mentioned earlier are countered.

I don't think you're foolish, bro.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ganon doesn't really want to be attacking IC's shield as often as other chars imo. That dsmash punishes nicely, and L-canceling can be trickier since IC's have 2 shields. Properly-spaced ftilts, bairs, and retreating fairs usually work well. Ideally I'd try to be patient and wait for an opening to approach safely, and seize any opportunity to separate the climbers/safely kill Nana.

GofG

Smash Champion
And GofG, if you seriously believe that IC's matchups are determined by how easy the character is to chaingrab, you are sorely mistaken. Enjoy getting ***** by players that can space. I don't think I scored a single chaingrab at my tourney. All of my damage was from Bairs and Dsmash. XD
Man, people keep telling me this, and then I go friendly scar, he repeatedly falls into my shields and I kill him from low-to-death every stock by chaingrabbing him.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Man, people keep telling me this, and then I go friendly scar, he repeatedly falls into my shields and I kill him from low-to-death every stock by chaingrabbing him.
Remember that Scar beat Chu at HERB, good sir. That is all.

****, I wish people just fell into my sheild. I would've been ranked number 1 loong ago.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Falcon vs IC is a little more interesting than ganon vs IC. I'd say that this match up is on a little more even playing-field, but falcon has somewhat of an advantage. He has got to be one of the best characters for separating the climbers.

Vilt

Smash Lord
Falcon vs IC is a little more interesting than ganon vs IC. I'd say that this match up is on a little more even playing-field, but falcon has somewhat of an advantage. He has got to be one of the best characters for separating the climbers.
Nope. Samus by far separate and keep them apart the best. A friend of mine quit ICs because one Dsmash takes them apart and you gotta do it missle to kill Nana.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
I didn't say that falcon was the best at it.. just one of them.

As for samus having any kind of distinctive, solid advantage on ice climbers besides his usual silly little bag of tricks(samus owns)..... i doubt it.

And thinking about it a little, I still think falcon might be better than separating them than samus. It's pretty **** easy and clutch to pull the double knee on nana with low health. But... i don't know much about samus, who knows.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Vilt is probably talking about that Samus dsmash. I don't know **** about this matchup but I bet it would separate them well just like Peach's fatality (dsmash) lol

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Ganon doesn't really want to be attacking IC's shield as often as other chars imo. That dsmash punishes nicely, and L-canceling can be trickier since IC's have 2 shields. Properly-spaced ftilts, bairs, and retreating fairs usually work well. Ideally I'd try to be patient and wait for an opening to approach safely, and seize any opportunity to separate the climbers/safely kill Nana.
If Ganon isn't attacking, then ICs will be moving in with grabs/Dsmash/shield and react. Spacing allows the ICs to get in closer after the attack, and if you jab and they shield again then you're almost out of room to space with.

What do you do to be patient with Ganon? Wait for them to attack by....?

Samus doesn't seem like she can get in well enough to Dsmash the ICs. Falcon has the running speed, the fall speed, and the knockback required for the knee to separate the climbers well. Falcon can also combo into the knee on just one or both of the ICs better (Dthrow, Dair, and knee are the first three moves that come to mind), which can lead to early deaths for one or both of the ICs if he gets a hit in at any percent.

Samus' Dsmash, while still effective, will not begin to work really well until probably mid percents. Also, ICs will be expecting the Dsmash since Samus doesn't have several other moves with the priority to beat ICs quick smashes.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
By "being patient" I certainly didn't mean "sit and wait"

After an aerial, you can go straight to downward-angled ftilt and keep them off. Works well on luigi also. I also like to mix in an empty shorthop from time to time, especially when they are being more agressive; I just think it's safe and leaves you a few extra options sometimes.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Lol I know that.

What if they WD into shield again? Then you've lost ground. It seems like a viable IC tactic at this point is WD'ing into shield after shielding an aerial to close the gap. I dunno if Ganon can be sneaky enough about his grabs enough to change that tactic, either.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
ftilt ends pretty fast and will at least knock them back some if it hits their shield. It might be enough time for a jab or backroll but I'm not sure. If I'm playing IC's that do nothing but advance and shield my attacks, it'll only be a matter of time before that shield shrinks enough for me to give em the double D's (multiple dairs) lol

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
But see, that's the thing. Mixing in advancing shields or smashes is what creates the level of uncertainty the match has for Ganon as far as approaching goes. ICs can condition Ganon to attempt a counterattack or shield, and Ganon has to hope he can shieldpoke.

Besides all of that, ICs won't be approaching all of the time, obviously. And besides THAT, desynching blizzards or ice blocks for approaches can allow much easier ways to get in on Ganon without concerns for ICs' shield.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah, I was thinking I should've mentioned sheildpoking.

Since IC's are invincible I suppose I'll just pray that I never fight any in tournament :chuckle:

Gboro here I come!

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Lol I never said that!

Okay so someone should say something about Sheik vs Marth. I have no clue what this matchup actually is at a higher level of play.

Sheik doesn't exactly have an easy time gaying Marth, but she can CG him and has great finishers. She also has needle control, forcing Marth to approach. Sheik's tilts have great range and her dash attack can get in on Marth's slower spacing. Also, her quick spotdodge is a great tool for getting inside of Marth and punishing his mistakes.

Marth has some great juggles on Sheik from his grabs, and his range is fantastic for edgeguards and pressure.

Do Marth's juggles and grabs and range beat out Sheik's needles and CGs and early kills that are easy to set up (ftilt/Dthrow/Dtilt)?

Pyrostormer

Smash Lord
Lol I never said that!

Okay so someone should say something about Sheik vs Marth. I have no clue what this matchup actually is at a higher level of play.

Sheik doesn't exactly have an easy time gaying Marth, but she can CG him and has great finishers. She also has needle control, forcing Marth to approach. Sheik's tilts have great range and her dash attack can get in on Marth's slower spacing. Also, her quick spotdodge is a great tool for getting inside of Marth and punishing his mistakes.

Marth has some great juggles on Sheik from his grabs, and his range is fantastic for edgeguards and pressure.

Do Marth's juggles and grabs and range beat out Sheik's needles and CGs and early kills that are easy to set up (ftilt/Dthrow/Dtilt)?
Thats a really hard thing to decide on. I mean, they can easily gay each other at low percents and rack up damage quite easily. Marths juggles dont last too long on Sheik. I'd have to say that its completely even, IMO. I really cant tell who has the upper hand or who beats out who.

Best way to win against at Marth with Sheik is to use the BILLGAURD BABY!

Rawfuls

Smash Journeyman
shiek vs marth imo is the most even matchup in this game minus dittos obviously. Marth's juggles dont last as long as they do on some other characters, and sheiks chaingrab has the same issue. Also, both characters have a few different gimp options making both very efficient at killing the other. Basically as gay as you can be with sheik in this matchup you can be just as gay with marth. IF i were to give an edge to anyone though it would be shiek due to needles, projectiles are just good against marth in general.

MunkeyX2g

Smash Ace
Maybe the metagame has changed or maybe the marth players that adams use to play against just sucked... but I picked up sheik years ago just to deal with marth because i hated the peach-marth matchup so much... but i dont play this old *** game so you guys can school me in the match if you'd like

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Oh sh*t Munkey posted!

The only thing that makes me wanna give this to Sheik (besides needles) is that Sheik can set up her kills much better than Marth can.

Past 100%, Marth has to go for a Fsmash tipper or edgeguard to kill Sheik because he can't combo past 100% for the most part, and Sheik has several set ups to kill/edgeguard at any percent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom