• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! (Updated 2/11/10!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacStrife

Smash Ace
PP encouraging people to improve does nothing but help the smash community. Im pretty sure everyone that comes to tournaments and frequents this site has fun playing the game lol, shouldn't be a cause for concern. I'm also fairly certain that nobody has felt "bullied" by Kevin lol.. it's all in fun.
here's how I read what happened:

Plur - I don't play the game to improve.

PP- all you need is a little practice

Plur- ok but I still don't like it.

PP- practice, also seems to be second guess his own advice/doesn't quite know how to say what he means?

To me that is A) incorrect advice in the first place and B) being somewhat of a bully or promising results that his advice won't produce.

I'm not saying that PP is some over bearing dude, but giving out bad advice can be harmful to the players he's trying to help. That's the main reason why I said anything at all. I might also debate with you the whole playing melee for fun thing considering how PP felt after losing to tope at HERB. The dude was under some serious pressure and I'm sure that is not everyones definition of "fun" If you can't have fun in that way then why would you want to get better in the first place?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I haven't seen PLUR play much and I apologize for going with what I had instead of going off of tidbits of matches I had seen a while back and drawing some potentially debilitating conclusions. I agree with your advice though, as what you said triggered a mental note I had made to tell PLUR that at some point or another (you can take it as arrogance or forgetfulness, I know which it is).

I have no problem with him just having fun, but he has a cube and Melee, and he's on a competitive Melee Power Ranking thread in a competitive smash forum, isn't my advice justified by that alone?

Anyways, I did not say ONLY tech skill was required. I also told him to go and practice setups as well. Maybe follow-ups or tech chases. Stuff that keeps the mind in it, as I said.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I said something similar to he may not even need to practice tech skill all that much. Why do you exaggerate that?

I doubt I could bully anyone lol. I'm merely offering advice, and people can do what they want to with it. I could tell you to get back into the scene and practice up, but would it work? Not at all.

Let me say this again to be perfectly clear: I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH ANYONE WANTING TO PLAY SUPER SMASH BROTHERS MELEE TO JUST HAVE FUN.

I mean, after Cactus' post yesterday, I don't think I'd even go near the idea of compromising any smasher for competitiveness. That's scene suicide.

Ok....second post time.

Dealt with advice thing already. Guess you've chosen what kind of advice giver I am. But that's cool.

Please don't use me as a "fun" example. Tournaments are supposed to be taken seriously. Friendlies (and tournament matches with Yayuhz lol) aren't. If I really need to expound on that I will.

PacStrife

Smash Ace
I guess I will just have to disagree with you on this one PP. I don't think that any of the things you suggested would help him to get better. I do not think that practicing set-ups or whatever would be very helpful either, but maybe that's what you did? (clarifying for you I didn't mean to exaggerate anything you said because imo it was ALL wrong)

I also wasn't trying to say that you hate casual players or have a problem with them. I was more giving you a warning about how you say things to certain people influencing them more then you think. You seem to think that advice can't produce bad results because the person doesn't have to take it, but does that also mean that any and all advice cannot have negative out comes?

As for you not seeing your own influence in this scene, you may want to reconsider that. Just think about the last time anyone disagreed with anything you posted on this site.

EDIT - You are far too good of an example of what I was trying to say for me not to use you. I'm sorry if you have some negative feelings about that for some reason?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
........The last time someone disagreed with me over anything big I think.....was you.

What a trip down memory lane that is.

Oh right.

Fair enough. I did the best I could with what I had, and it wasn't good enough. Next time I won't be so careless so this type of discussion can be avoided.

People can choose to accept it, but they have to weigh it with their own judgment. I would never want anyone to blindly follow anyone's advice, no matter how prominent. I always think people should go test things for themselves.

Let's say PLUR goes and works on what I tell him and doesn't notice and difference, and this is over a month or so of trying new things and really working (but not crazily, just spending a little to some time most days). If he didn't get things done right, if my advice failed, then I would accept the blame of giving out faulty advice and work harder to pinpoint where the problem may exactly be coming from since I would never give up on someone, even if my advice the first time around isn't perfect. Also on that note, I don't just say whatever comes to mind and say "yeah this is a rehashed version of what I tell everyone, so I'll use that." I try to put time and effort into every suggestion I share with all of the NC smashers. I'm sorry that I can't watch/play everyone due to my distance and lack of focus at tournies sometimes, but I just want to help very badly.

Finally, I have been disagreed with on things several times. Anything major (kinda scarce these days) was sorted out, and anything minor was usually my ignorance lol.

Edit: I still support my advice. Don't let my awful diction fool you.

Edit to his edit: K I finished eating. Chicken for top tier.

Alright, the problem with talking about fun in tournament matches is that hardly anyone is going to be goofing off or having a fantastic time in them (as compared to friendlies I guess). You did a great job picking the person who was really down last tournament for....ah skip it, but the source of my feelings of remorse stemmed from losing. Plain and simple. I got knocked out of the tournament. Of course there's more to it for me, but that's the source. No one enjoys losing. I definitely don't enjoy losing (I bet no one can tell XD). That doesn't change the fact that I have a GREAT time playing friendlies with people. I've actually worked hard on my mentality for friendlies lately, so I don't really mind losing anymore. Since you're so keen on using one facet of my smash career to support your idea, then let the aforementioned knowledge of myself show that your argument doesn't work. You said I get steeped in my play to win mentality and lose all focus of why I started to play. While that's a completely different story, it still holds true that I take my tournament matches very seriously and I always want to learn. Once again, friendly matches are not meant to be conquests of other people for me (unless they're really good or I need to work on a matchup, but even there it's still learning), but they are meant for the pure fun of going out to meet and have fun with all sorts of new people that my life without smash would never have guaranteed me. I love playing smash. I love meeting new people. I love going to tournaments to improve myself. If playing my matches and taking losses nonchalantly were the way I did my tournament matches, you could be entirely sure that I would not make the drives that I do to go see and smash with all of the amazing bros here and OOS.

I doubt, without even reading over this again, that it will change your mind at all, but if anything good comes out of this, it will be that NC fully understands my position on important issues and that I only have NC smash's best interest at heart.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Hey guys, I'm back.

Kevin keeps telling me that I caught Mufasa, but I don't get it.

Also, ACE, we need to friendly. I'm inviting you to Foxy's place on Friday. We've only played one match, and that was at Jubilee. Not right, bro, not right.

Also, I think that once the summer comes along, I'll be on these, even if I'm #10. Unless some others start stepping it up before I come back.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Hey guys, I'm back.

Kevin keeps telling me that I caught Mufasa, but I don't get it.

Also, ACE, we need to friendly. I'm inviting you to Foxy's place on Friday. We've only played one match, and that was at Jubilee. Not right, bro, not right.

Also, I think that once the summer comes along, I'll be on these, even if I'm #10. Unless some others start stepping it up before I come back.
We played 3 matches at Jubilee! lol we'll definitely play some soon man. Maybe I can make it to Foxy's we'll see.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
. . . .

Not to be picky, but this thread has gone off-topic, and has been so for a couple of pages (If your view is 40 posts). I'm not trying to be the bad guy, but this isn't social. If a mod sees this, they can just simply close the topic - no warning. So you might want to steer this topic back in the right direction in some way.

Or maybe this is on-topic in some strange way - there has been talk of improving one self. :):bee::):bee::):bee:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Why would you suggest this to be closed? Talking about improvement (and techniques used to get there) have been discussed. Before that, serious PR talk had been going on (Twig-errr Stacks sayin stuff and stuff I don't remember).

Do you not like the PRs ZIO?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
GAH! I'm not suggesting it be closed, just stay on topic. There are other topics to socialize.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Lol I wouldn't call this socializing.

I suppose our definitions of "on topic" are different here, which is fine, but do me a favor and don't suggest closure to the mods, ok?

Hopefully the matter is resolved now regardless.

Also, I feel conceited for talking about myself so much there. I really didn't want to.

More "on topic" XD: does anyone have any dates for tournaments around here after May 12th? Just wanna start planning ASAP lol.

PacStrife

Smash Ace
Zio - I think that this has been a pretty on topic debate, but w/e

PP - I understand that you have everyone's best interest at heart. I like that about you. I just wanted you to perhaps see a different view point on your advice. Anyways, I feel like you misunderstand my position about most things involving smash. But that just comes from you not really knowing who I am at all. Anyways, fun / good discussion without any flaming. just hope the whole example thing didn't get under your skin, it wasn't meant to.

More on topic for Zio$ - So can Boss Hog actually make it onto the power rankings by just entering team tourneys?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I promise you, I have listened and I'll try to observe everyone better next time so I can help them...I guess better is the right word.

Sounds like we're cool man.

I think Boss Hog is going to start MM'ing everyone on the PRs so he can move up lol.

He said he might enter some singles soon. I hope he does.

Foxy

Smash Master
wut?

i don't remember making a lot of long posts... not sure what pac has been reading.

i usually have short posts.

ON-TOPIC BEFORE IT GETS CLOSED LOLOL: HAY GUSY I THINK I SHOULD GET ON THESE PR'S MAYBE

oh wait i'm already on, that's dumb, i shouldn't be on these

Malk

Smash Champion
want my on topic? I think most people know how to get better. It's not tough to figure it out. Really PP the best thing you could do to get someone better is inspire them, aka not just your "i know i four stocked you but mang you had me so worried on that last stock when I was at 80 good stuff keep it up" but actual encouragement to try and get better.

also I think pac is smarter than any of us cause he has a woman

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I knew if I mentioned it, I would be chewed out.:urg: It didn't seem so to me, but that's up to the mods to decide, I guess. And since it's still here, no one is doing any wrong.

Nothing in this topic has been more true.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oh, is that what this is? I was wondering why the usernames were different colors.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
want my on topic? I think most people know how to get better. It's not tough to figure it out. Really PP the best thing you could do to get someone better is inspire them, aka not just your "i know i four stocked you but mang you had me so worried on that last stock when I was at 80 good stuff keep it up" but actual encouragement to try and get better.

I probably haven't done this enough either. Thanks bro.

So that's what this is. Pretty sneaky.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hmmmmm, maybe the Boone area is the first place I'll visit after AP exams.

That would be after May 12th. I'm not allowed to another tournament until then anyway. Does that sound good Nebs?

Nebs

Smash Apprentice
dang, that's a good while. by then i'll be back in Lexington, which is much more centrally located. that'll probably work better for you and most everyone else in the state. next for me is the boone thing this saturday. I'll try to make the 25th boone tourney but i'll almost certainly have to work instead. sucks you can't get out, but hey, i'm the first to understand that school is more important.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Ahh dang bro.

I'll be going to school very close to Lexington, Winston Salem (Wake forest University), so maybe we'll have time later on to play then if we can't make stuff happen right away as we'd like.

I dunno, HERB 2 will happen in like August, so if you're still in Lexington then then you get a short drive to a huge tournament.

l0zR=)

Smash Champion
You know what my opinion is on the power ranks so im not gonna even mention it.

So everyone go have fun and play the game however you wish to play it

Competitive, fun, bored, whatever.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
I love playing with Chris. That guy is SO much fun to play with and he trips me out.

I think Big Momma Pac is probably right about advice/encouragement given. I can sit in my room and practice tech skill for a really long time because I'm a rhythm game player and I'm trained to sit and practice for hours. That's why I like Fox/Falcon so much. That doesn't mean that everybody likes to do that; it's not the most fun thing to do sometimes. I can't blame anybody like Chris, Matt, Knorr etc who just play to have fun and socialize. I personally hate playing in tournaments because I feel like it's an immediate minus to my tech skill thinking because I'm so nervous. Even the PR's have made me feel really pressured to perform overly well which has produced the opposite effect. It's much less fun to me. (johns)

That being said, it's gonna be hard for me to make events for a bit, school is winding up and I'm a graduating senior at ECU; this means, the gay is on the way. I am going to try to make Enver's next tourney in a few weeks.

PS: I just realized I've never ever played Forest aka Stacks 1v1. Need to do that sometime. And Nebs for that matter. Also random, I think Ace is pretty talented...even if it is Ganon. ;P

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
The thing about me is that whenever I play with you guys, even if it's just friendlies, my tech-skill drops considerably. I dunno. I mess stuff up that I normally wouldn't. It's weird.

Oh yeah and Ace's ganon is gay. He fairs my GaW three times and I'm dead. >_<

PS: Am I the only one that sees "NOW WHAT, BLUE NAMES?!" under only my name? >___>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom