• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW Yoshi Matchup Thread V2|Week 10 - Zelda

illinialex24

Smash Hero
No matter how many times I see you post, the irony never ceases to amaze me. :laugh:
It was intentionally irony. I'm glad you found out what a first grader could.

Next you're going to say that Jigglypuff has great matchups, and isn't the 3rd or 2nd worst friggin character in the game.

Anyway, can we discuss Meta Knight or something?
Lol no.

Jiggs is much better than 3rd or 2nd worst, and imo better than yoshi.

MK next pweese.

Lets settle for 65:35 on jiggs
Omg, I was gonna say Jigglypuff is much better than 2nd or 3rd worst but slightly worse than Yoshi. I was gonna say high low or mid for both.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Can we just move on instead of *****ing to each other like *******s? I vote that we do Wario since DMG wants it that badly.
Lol I don't want it THAT badly, I just didn't want it to seem like the Wario matchup was set in stone. We don't have to discuss it next, even if you do it in a month from nao that would be fine.

However, when you do decide to go over the Wario matchup again, I will need time to prepare my mustache and get some fitting apparel, most likely overalls, before I engage myself in lively conversations.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Enough of all the jigglypuff and yoshi squabbling. Both characters have moves that screw the other over big time, and theres no huge advantage on either side. They both can give eachother difficult counterpicks but overall yoshi just kills jigglypuffa little easier. 40:60 yoshi just end it already

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I notice how you want it to end with YOUR opinion on the match. If you're going to keep pushing your opinions on something, don't be surprised or indignant when someone reciprocates in kind.

I'm all for moving on, but I still disagree with you, so let's leave it at that for now.

Metatitan

Smash Master
I notice how you want it to end with YOUR opinion on the match. If you're going to keep pushing your opinions on something, don't be surprised or indignant when someone reciprocates in kind.

I'm all for moving on, but I still disagree with you, so let's leave it at that for now.
Don't be a hypocrite mr 30:70 yoshi zomg teh pivot grab and usmash!

Edit- its not just my opinion- the jigglypuffs see it as 45;55, many yoshies see it as 40:60, and a few yoshies see it as 35:65. 40:60 yoshi seems like a nice compromise considering some think the matchup to be horrible, others not so much. zomg we took 5 points off of the original match we must die!

-further edit: how about some friendlies some time orion. we'll probly be really laggy but no1 else is on wifi xD

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Don't be a hypocrite mr 30:70 yoshi zomg teh pivot grab and usmash!
I didn't talk about ending the argument, aside from saying I wouldn't stand against it if that's what everyone wants (and it is). And you still haven't made any good arguments outside of completely hyperbolic strawmen - as illustrated above - in favor of anything else.

Edit- its not just my opinion- the jigglypuffs see it as 45;55, many yoshies see it as 40:60, and a few yoshies see it as 35:65. 40:60 yoshi seems like a nice compromise considering some think the matchup to be horrible, others not so much. zomg we took 5 points off of the original match we must die!
I'm all for settling on a lesser number, but you'll forgive me if rising Pound doesn't cut it for me.

-further edit: how about some friendlies some time orion. we'll probly be really laggy but no1 else is on wifi xD
Sure, why not. Drop me a PM sometime and we'll set something up, man. Sounds fun. :)

Metatitan

Smash Master
scatty did some research orion and it turns out rising pound can avoid the pivot grab and hit yoshi :urg: but like yoshi's grab release to uair its not too consistant. and i dont think we can win an entire match just on pivot grabs xD

Gindler

Smash Champion
I honestly have more trouble with shiek than zelda. It's those needles that halt approaches and keep me from egg camping, she can easily throw one after seeing me throw and egg and still have enough time to shield "/

Of course that's just another player weakness of mine probably...

I think that we should discuss some of the more controversial matches after Zelda. Maybe:

11: Donkey Kong
12: Wario
13: Meta Knight
14: Falco
15: Peach
I think peach is good. I played probably the best peach in florida on many occasions and have yet to win but they're always down to the wire which is when I choke "/

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I implied no such thing. In fact I specifically said that ISN'T the point I've been making numerous times.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Fair enough, Stocky. You do raise some great points as always. :bee:

And I wasn't trying to make out his pivot to be an unbeatable, OMGWTFHAX type move, either. I'm just saying that between his pivot grab, his ETS, and his up smash, it's a little difficult for Jigglypuff to effectively space back airs against him.

For instance, if she deliberately tried to fake me out in order to bait a counter, I can more often than not ETS back a ways instead of attacking, which opens up some movement and attack options for me.

Coming in high tends to be risky because of Yoshi's up smash, and her Pound is also something to be reconsidered for the reasons Mmac outlined.

I'm certainly not saying this is a no-win situation for Jigglypuff. There's certainly always options for every player. Even Donkey Kong has options against King DeDeDe. For me, it's a matter of risk assessment. Who is more likely to come out on top, given all of the possible variations on a scenario as well as what coming out on top nets that character in terms of damage and positioning.

For instance, say she gets a little too gutsy and tries tapping me with a back air. I see her coming in at a nice angle for it, so I go for an up smash. If Jigglypuff comes out on top, she lands a back air and puts me in a brief stun, and can either attempt to back air me again, which would put us in the same scenario, but with a diminished back air on her part, or change her angle and do something else.

Not a bad scenario, but let's look at the alternative. Say I hit the up smash. She's gotten hit with a smash attack, she's flung upwards and outwards at an angle. Now she has to start either falling down on me (which she does very slowly), or she has to move away from me. Either way it buys me time to reposition, Egg Toss her, or even attempt an up air (or fake an attempt at it). Strategically speaking, my coming out on top in this relatively even scenario has a more significant impact on the match-up.

I would put it to you that the majority of the situations in this particular match-up work this way, making it extremely difficult for Jigglypuff to get the upper hand. Again, it's not to say that she can't do so, but as they say, she has to work harder for it. When you take into account that in an approaching situation, Yoshi has better options than her (usually, though this can be context-dependent), in an up-close confrontation they have about the same number of options, and that in a KO situation, Yoshi has more potential for landing that final hit, I would say that it is mathematically weighted strongly in Yoshi's favor.

Of course, you raise some great points as well, and as such, I certainly look forward to what you have to say on the subject. :)
For the record this was posted about three weeks ago. I'd check out this part of the discussion in particular and give your input on the parts that catch your interest.

Metatitan

Smash Master
as for the usmash ive asked alex to ask veril to see if bair outprioritizes usmash (because i think ive outprioritized usmash with bair b4 although it couldve just been the angle). I dont think any jigglypuff player would approach you going down onto your head and as for the egg tossing, shield approach works to block the eggs and a dacus is perfect to punish you if u try to egg again. You could pivot grab the dacus, but jiggs could predict it and dacus correctly to get past. Mabey not all jiggs play like that but i just luvz my dacus so much xD.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Technically, all aerials beat out all ground attacks. Priority works differently for grounded attacks than it does for aerial attacks.

The problem is that Yoshi's head covers a lot of range and becomes borderline disjointed at certain points (it clashes with a LOT of things in the air), making back air and forward air extremely sketchy against it.

I would say that her DACUS could add to her match against Yoshi (especially if you take him off-guard with it), but also carries inherent risk, as you yourself outlined. It's also not a kill move, so it really does little to turn the tides of the match outside of a surprise hit.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I dunno... I use Jiggs a lot and play against her as well, and I've never seen that one kill...

I suppose it's conceivable, though.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Ah, misread that. Yeah, that makes more sense. Rollout works in some situations, too.

Just... not many. :laugh:

(Oh... and how P.O.ed do you think Mmac is going to be at this latest derailment? :laugh:)

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
I agree with Yoshinator. If you want to keep discussing Jiggly, move to PM and post the results here once it ends.

Anyway, I think we should go over Meta Knight or Wario.

Gindler

Smash Champion
back air for gimping and yeah utilt is a kill move lol
I do recall killing an MK at about 120-130 with Utlit in a doubles match (battlefield though)

Ah, misread that. Yeah, that makes more sense. Rollout works in some situations, too.

Just... not many. :laugh:

(Oh... and how P.O.ed do you think Mmac is going to be at this latest derailment? :laugh:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6hVi6zPgyc&feature=related

3:15. that it does sir, that it does.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Sigh, I had to go for a week, and the thread went to hell >_>

Are we done on Zelda yet? Who should we do next?

Metatitan

Smash Master
Meta needs to play Sir O. Grudge match of the century.
Wouldn't there need to be a grudge? lol we are fine with each other we just have different views. as for fighting the lagfi would probly be so bad (different ends of the country) that it wouldn't mean anything if either won. regardless id luv to do friendlies with him if we could get lagfi working for 10 seconds

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
hmm i don't know if i'm on board with a 60-40 but whatever

the way it seems to me from those vids (played by people who clearly knew the matchup) it was pretty even and slightly in zeldas favor due to the fact that she won the set. It didn't seem like the yoshi had to adjust his playstyle too much which is typically what a character has to do in a bad matchup, yet at the same time that lack of adjustment cost him the set.

i was thinking 45-55 Zelda, but we'll have to come back in a years time when both communities have time to develop both of the characters metagame in terms of the matchup so it could go up or down.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: If we're going to move on, I suggest Pikachu. I <3 that matchup lotz.

bigman40

Smash Master
Why are we trying to keep discussing metaknight? We have alot more characters that we need to get a solid conclusion on, seeing as how we have no complete information listed on the front page about those certain characters.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Yeah, we've got lots of the big hitters done; let's focus on getting more characters out of the way.

We can always go back to the stupid gay ones. We need to get everything else done first. So many matchups left to do. There are too many characters in this game, LOL.

D

Deleted member

I vote for kirby. I just got my revenge on the best kirby on the west coast so im happy >:D

Or pikachu, i wanna hear what shiri thinks.

Lets go pika first, then kirby.

Top Bottom