• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Official Kirby Matchup Rankings AND GUIDE Thread! :: OMGOMGOMG! We're done!

SheerMadness

Smash Master
First of all, for the love of god change Samus. Gonzo got it changed to 40-60 single handedly cause he got owned by a Samus at a tourney. From what I remember no one else agreed with him. It should be atleast 60-40 in Kirby's favor.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
If I really need to, ok.

Kirby has better range.

Better kill moves.

Deals damage easier.

Better edgeguarding.

Should I list more?

Crystanium

Smash Hero

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Wild Samus Main appears! Sadly, I haven't fought many (any?) good Samuses, but since you need justification, I'll try to explain.
If I really need to, ok.

1. Kirby has better range.

2. Better kill moves.

3. Deals damage easier.

4. Better edgeguarding.

5. Should I list more?
1. I don't know about that. Maybe he means Kirby's moves come out faster...Samus' Zair and projectiles kinda make up for it though.

2. I'd have to agree with that. Fsmash, aerial hammer, fresh bair at high percentages, upthrow if she somehow survives to the upper 100s, even upsmash or downsmash. All come out pretty quickly and are deceptively powerful.

3. Samus can be "comboed" pretty easily.

4. Unless she uses her tether, Kirby can gimp pretty easily with dair, bair wall of pain, or even hammer. Oh, don't forget the 1337 Stone edgeguard.

5. Kirby can steal her hat and look uber.

I wish I played good Samus players though, the only one I know never plays me, 'cause he's too busy with "real life". Psh.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
50-50 for Kirby and Samus matchup.
50-50 for Kirby and Toon Link matchup.

And no Gonzo, Snake vs Kirby is not a neutral match up. The best Kirby in the country vs the best snake in the country would equate to Snake winning, since Snake has many more options to be safe from attacks, even with Kirby camping back. Evaluate Kirby's strong points... he's a great combo character, he is a great gimper, but all that is countered by Snake grenading in the middle of combos. However, if its a Snake who does not camp and play it safe and is all out offensive, then, yes its a even match up which is why they mention on the Snake boards to never play offensively against a Kirby.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
50-50 for Kirby and Samus matchup.
50-50 for Kirby and Toon Link matchup.

And no Gonzo, Snake vs Kirby is not a neutral match up. The best Kirby in the country vs the best snake in the country would equate to Snake winning, since Snake has many more options to be safe from attacks, even with Kirby camping back. Evaluate Kirby's strong points... he's a great combo character, he is a great gimper, but all that is countered by Snake grenading in the middle of combos. However, if its a Snake who does not camp and play it safe and is all out offensive, then, yes its a even match up which is why they mention on the Snake boards to never play offensively against a Kirby.
No it wouldn't. Kirby has serious gimp potential against Snake. I've watched first hand as Chu gimped one of the best east coast snake players (Candy) starting at 0% and ending at ~30%. U can ask him urself what he thinks of the matchup against Kirby. The majority of Kirby players dont know the gimp move but its the cheapest thing i've ever seen and it does work. Not to mention u dont have to start at 0% it works anytime Snake is in his Bup. Snake vs Kirby on a pro level is definitely even. If two noobs pick up snake and kirby and play each other snake will win. but if two pros did that it would def be even. Kirby's gimps vs Snakes raw power and range.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Maybe he means Kirby's moves come out faster...Samus' Zair and projectiles kinda make up for it though.
Range is not equivalent to start-up time. Samus has better range than Kirby.

2. I'd have to agree with that. Fsmash, aerial hammer, fresh bair at high percentages, upthrow if she somehow survives to the upper 100s, even upsmash or downsmash. All come out pretty quickly and are deceptively powerful.
So are Samus'. You'll have to consider that Samus is a super heavy-weight character.

3. Samus can be "comboed" pretty easily.
With what attacks? And combos...in Brawl?

4. Unless she uses her tether, Kirby can gimp pretty easily with dair, bair wall of pain, or even hammer. Oh, don't forget the 1337 Stone edgeguard.
I really do wonder how good your friend is who plays as Samus. It won't be easy to edge-guard or "gimp" Samus.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
No it wouldn't. Kirby has serious gimp potential against Snake. I've watched first hand as Chu gimped one of the best east coast snake players (Candy) starting at 0% and ending at ~30%. U can ask him urself what he thinks of the matchup against Kirby. The majority of Kirby players dont know the gimp move but its the cheapest thing i've ever seen and it does work. Not to mention u dont have to start at 0% it works anytime Snake is in his Bup. Snake vs Kirby on a pro level is definitely even. If two noobs pick up snake and kirby and play each other snake will win. but if two pros did that it would def be even. Kirby's gimps vs Snakes raw power and range.
Pertaining to Kirby gimping Snake. If Snake recovers up high, there would be no way for Kirby to hit Snake, unless its with Kirby's final cutter. Snake can also speed up his recovery by double jumping soon after, which gives his up+b momentum, increasing the speed that he rises at. Kirby can only gimp Snake on special conditions. It's also dependant on the stage, its dependant if Snake recovers at mid level or low, and its dependant if Snake loses his second jump.
Most of the time Snake will be recovering up high. And it could be that Candy wasn't expecting Chu to gimp him in that way, but given enough experience from that match up and Chu's gimping tactics, Candy will learn how to avoid getting gimped like that and the tables will turn.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace

true statement

So are Samus'. You'll have to consider that Samus is a super heavy-weight character.

which one's bair? Have fun trying to hit Kirby with that considering his shortness on the ground and how much he outprioritizes you in the air. Fsmash? Not that powerful, may get Kirby ~130%. Dsmash? Trajectory is all messed up. Anything else? Kirby is considered to be deceptively powerful because he can easily KO a heavy character like Samus ~100%. Samus moves aren't deceptive powerful because not only are they not powerful, but you should expect power like that from a character like Samus. Also with the exception of bair, Samus doesn't kill well considering he can survive a fsmash at aroun 120~130% and he's a lightweight

Fair, bair, and uair are all moves that Kirby uses to rack damage in the air. Uair and fair can feint airdodges, and bair can be mindgamed though mindgames shouldn't be included in match-ups since everyone isn't capable of them so ignore that statement about his bair.

I really do wonder how good your friend is who plays as Samus. It won't be easy to edge-guard or "gimp" Samus.

I played this guy's Samus once. He two-stocked me the first match we played. I then two stocked him the next two matches and three stocked him the next match. The first match was unexpected, but once I got adjusted to playing Samus for the first time, it was easy as cheese.
my comments in green, should be 60-40 IMO.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
my comments in green, should be 60-40 IMO.
Thank you jiovanni, you explained pretty well.
Well, on the ground, fsmash outranges most of her moves. In the air, some of her moves (fair comes to mind) have good range with disjointed hitboxes, so she beats him at some points there. Don't underestimate Kirby's range just because he's so short, though.

She's really not that hard to ko. I expect a fresh forward smash would ko her at 90-100%, possibly in the 80s if she's near the edge. And no, most of her smashes suck. I know her dtilt is a great ko move, but it's fairly easy to avoid, especially since Kirby is usually in the air. Fully Charged Shots are a good ko move, but those are only really deadly on wifi, where lag exists. A good player would not have trouble dodging them most of the time offline.

How often do you play decent Kirbys? At 0 or very low percents, Kirby's fthrow or dthrow can combo into other attacks. At higher percents, Samus is very easy to juggle with aerials. It's one of the reasons Kirby is pretty good against Meta Knight; MK may be super aggressive and hard to hit, but once Kirby gets that first hit off, he can follow up very easily, and that's on MK, who is very light and can counterattack quickly. Imagine how much easier it is to do on Samus, who is heavy like you said, and has laggier moves.

I don't play any Samuses, like I said. I told you that that guy never plays me. I played him once like 3 months ago, and I recall losing, which is to be expected the first time you play a good player with a character you're unfamiliar with.

Anyway, the edgeguarding was only theory. I know it'll be extremely hard to counter her tether recovery, but her up B has pretty awful horizontal recovery, leaving it open to Stone or dair->footstools of death. And bair wall of pain still holds true.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
which one's bair? Have fun trying to hit Kirby with that considering his shortness on the ground and how much he outprioritizes you in the air.
When you talk about Kirby's small size being on the ground, you are being dishonest. You only think about flat surfaces, never minding curves surfaces or even platforms. Platforms, though they are in the air, are considered to be "ground," since the character on the platform isn't jumping. Besides, even if Kirby is on a flat stage like Final Destination, who is going to use b-air?

As for Kirby out-prioritizing Samus in the air, please consider the Homing Missile, Super Missile, Charge Shot, f-air, and z-air. Z-air is especially easier to hit opponents with when they are in the air, even if they are small targets. Heck, I'm able to use z-air against small opponents when they're on the ground.

Dsmash? Trajectory is all messed up. Anything else?
I don't think you're aware about something regarding Samus' d-smash, which is why I'd like for you to check this video. Samus cannot KO Mr. Game & Watch at 78% with her d-smash, but in this video, she does. I know how this works, but I won't be revealing it. I thought I'd let you know about this find, however, considering that Kirby, like Mr. Game & Watch, is short and light-weight.

Kirby is considered to be deceptively powerful because he can easily KO a heavy character like Samus ~100%. Samus moves aren't deceptive powerful because not only are they not powerful, but you should expect power like that from a character like Samus. Also with the exception of bair, Samus doesn't kill well considering he can survive a fsmash at aroun 120~130% and he's a lightweight
That's all fine. As long as Kirby is out of Samus' range, Kirby is practically harmless. I'm still curious on whether or not you brawled with a good Samus players, hopefully ones recently, since the meta-games do change, even in a short period of time like six months.

Fair, bair, and uair are all moves that Kirby uses to rack damage in the air. Uair and fair can feint airdodges, and bair can be mindgamed though mindgames shouldn't be included in match-ups since everyone isn't capable of them so ignore that statement about his bair.
These don't talk about "combos." I guess Fox's f-air would be a combo, since it does consecutive hits. Or I guess Samus' f-air would be a combo, since it also does consecutive hits.

I played this guy's Samus once. He two-stocked me the first match we played. I then two stocked him the next two matches and three stocked him the next match. The first match was unexpected, but once I got adjusted to playing Samus for the first time, it was easy as cheese.
This says nothing of edge-guarding or gimping. You also don't state how recent this was. However, I can tell you I've brawled with someone named PangLand, who plays as Kirby sometimes, and this was fairly recent. There was also IsmaR, though hers, while within this year, is not within this month or last month.

Asdioh said:
Well, on the ground, fsmash outranges most of her moves. In the air, some of her moves (fair comes to mind) have good range with disjointed hitboxes, so she beats him at some points there. Don't underestimate Kirby's range just because he's so short, though.
"Most of her moves"? Let's see what Samus has. Charge Shot, Homing Missile, Super Missile, f-tilt, d-tilt (yes, this has great range, considering Samus' d-tilt beats Zelda's d-tilt, and Zelda moves her leg outward). It's interesting that jiovanni007 agrees with me that range isn't equivalent to start-up time, and that Samus beats Kirby in range, yet you say that Kirby's f-smash "outranges most of [Samus'] moves."

Asdioh said:
She's really not that hard to ko. I expect a fresh forward smash would ko her at 90-100%, possibly in the 80s if she's near the edge. And no, most of her smashes suck.
Your expectations are wrong. Without DI, she might be KO'd off the stage if she is at the edge. With DI, Samus can survive if she is at 100% and f-smashed. I tested this out just now, putting Samus at the edge for every test. I didn't test anything higher than 100%, but that's only because you said "90-100%." You're better off using Kirby's Forward+B, but that attack is slightly slower than Ness' f-smash. (Since this discovery of Kirby's Forward+B being slightly slower than Ness' f-smash, my brother has been using the f-smash more in his gameplay. Thanks for revealing that to us, whoever played as Kirby in an FFA match. :))

Asdioh said:
I know her dtilt is a great ko move, but it's fairly easy to avoid, especially since Kirby is usually in the air. Fully Charged Shots are a good ko move, but those are only really deadly on wifi, where lag exists. A good player would not have trouble dodging them most of the time offline.
I don't think you're aware of the possibilities Samus has with her d-tilt. She can f-air to d-tilt without leaving any time for her opponent to shield or dodge, since it's buffered the moment she touches the ground. As for Samus' Charge Shots, that's not a problem. We Samus players find ways of using our Charge Shots. If you ever brawled with Xyro77, you'll know what I am talking about.

Asdioh said:
How often do you play decent Kirbys? At 0 or very low percents, Kirby's fthrow or dthrow can combo into other attacks.
PangLand, a member of AiB, did this on me a number of times. I won't say who won the match, though.

Asdioh said:
At higher percents, Samus is very easy to juggle with aerials.
True, I agree with you on this. I've been juggled in the air when brawling against a Kirby player. It was always rewarding when I'd d-air him off the stage.

Asdioh said:
It's one of the reasons Kirby is pretty good against Meta Knight; MK may be super aggressive and hard to hit, but once Kirby gets that first hit off, he can follow up very easily, and that's on MK, who is very light and can counterattack quickly. Imagine how much easier it is to do on Samus, who is heavy like you said, and has laggier moves.
lololol "Laggier moves"? Did you know that Samus' aerial attacks have little to no lag, especially when she lands on the ground? And don't think that Samus is like Bowser or Donkey Kong when it comes to weight. She's heavy, yes, but compared between her and the other two giants, she doesn't suffer as much.

Asdioh said:
Anyway, the edgeguarding was only theory. I know it'll be extremely hard to counter her tether recovery, but her up B has pretty awful horizontal recovery, leaving it open to Stone or dair->footstools of death. And bair wall of pain still holds true.
The meta-games have changed. If you jump out after Samus while she is off the stage, don't think she won't use Homing Missiles to force you back on the stage, let alone think that Samus won't use Bombs to recover, saving her second jump and Screw Attack. In this instance, the Screw Attack isn't really necessary. Besides, when it comes to edge-guarding, Samus beats Kirby. She can use projectile attacks and z-air.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I fail to see how Samus out ranges Kirby with anything other than zair?
Charge Shot, Homing Missile, Super Missile. What does Kirby have, Final Cutter? If z-air doesn't go farther than the Charge Shot, Homing Missile or Super Missile, then how can you say you "fail to see how Samus out ranges Kirby with anything other than zair"? That doesn't make any sense.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
lol

Since when do people include projectiles when talking about range. Mario has a fireball but does he outrange Marth?

Samus missles are mediocre anyway.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Charge Shot, Homing Missile, Super Missile. What does Kirby have, Final Cutter? If z-air doesn't go farther than the Charge Shot, Homing Missile or Super Missile, then how can you say you "fail to see how Samus out ranges Kirby with anything other than zair"? That doesn't make any sense.
This is exactly why I won't field this argument anymore, its 60-40 Kirby.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
I don't think you're aware about something regarding Samus' d-smash, which is why I'd like for you to check this video. Samus cannot KO Mr. Game & Watch at 78% with her d-smash, but in this video, she does. I know how this works, but I won't be revealing it. I thought I'd let you know about this find, however, considering that Kirby, like Mr. Game & Watch, is short and light-weight.

you say that Kirby's f-smash "outranges most of [Samus'] moves."

PangLand, a member of AiB, did this on me a number of times. I won't say who won the match, though.

True, I agree with you on this. I've been juggled in the air when brawling against a Kirby player. It was always rewarding when I'd d-air him off the stage.

Besides, when it comes to edge-guarding, Samus beats Kirby. She can use projectile attacks and z-air.
first of all, why are you withholding this "top secret info" from us? couldnt we just go to the samus boards and find out if we wanted? haha notice how we dont care if you know about kirby's moves? otherwise we wouldnt be discussing this matchup with you.

kirbys fsmash does outrange the majority of samus's MELEE attacks.

also you act like d-air is an instant ko against a kirby who uses u-airs to juggle. hilarious. a good kirby will know when to stop going for the next uair. and kirby doesnt use uair off the stage. why would kirby edgeguard with uair when every single one of his other aerials is better at edgegaurding? you should never kill a good kirby with dair while he tries to uair. ever.

finally, kirby wins the edgeguarding matchup and you know it. kirby can go so high while he comes back that every move samus has will go under him.

I'm not saying the matchup is in favor of kirby, btw. i agree its probably in Samus's favor. i just disagree with a lot of the things you've said, and the way you're acting on our board.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
first of all, why are you withholding this "top secret info" from us? couldnt we just go to the samus boards and find out if we wanted? haha notice how we dont care if you know about kirby's moves? otherwise we wouldnt be discussing this matchup with you.
It's not top secret information. I just wanted to show that Samus' d-smash can act strange sometimes.

kirbys fsmash does outrange the majority of samus's MELEE attacks.
Only because he pushes himself slightly forward. Samus still beats Kirby in range. This is actually the only attack you Kirby players have been talking about. It reminds me of the time when I said Samus' d-tilt has KO potential, and the Zelda board complained about this and said that Zelda's d-tilt came out faster than Samus'. They exaggerated the attack, so I went ahead and tested it out for myself only to find that while Zelda's d-tilt is slightly faster, slightly, it lacked KO potential, which was the whole point of me even mentioning Samus' d-tilt in the first place.

also you act like d-air is an instant ko against a kirby who uses u-airs to juggle. hilarious. a good kirby will know when to stop going for the next uair. and kirby doesnt use uair off the stage. why would kirby edgeguard with uair when every single one of his other aerials is better at edgegaurding? you should never kill a good kirby with dair while he tries to uair. ever.
Unless you're brawling with someone who is really good at spiking his or her opponent. Kirby isn't unstoppable. Of course, what you just said doesn't make sense. You state that Kirby doesn't use u-air off the stage, and then you say that you should never be able to KO a good Kirby with d-air while he tries to u-air.

finally, kirby wins the edgeguarding matchup and you know it. kirby can go so high while he comes back that every move samus has will go under him.
Kirby beats Samus at edge-guarding? If Kirby is returning to the stage, then he is not edge-guarding. If Kirby goes out after Samus if he is edge-guarding, he can expect some Homing Missiles in his face. They're called "Homing" Missiles for a reason. If Samus edge-guards Kirby, Kirby can fly, but Samus doesn't need to be close to Kirby in order to hit Kirby. Even if Kirby does return to the stage, big deal? If Kirby edge-guarded, he would have to fly out and use his aerial attacks, but Homing Missiles would annoy him.

I'm not saying the matchup is in favor of kirby, btw. i agree its probably in Samus's favor. i just disagree with a lot of the things you've said, and the way you're acting on our board.
And I'm not saying it's in Samus' favor. I'd probably trust Samus is at a slight disadvantage.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
samus is at most at a slight disadvantage.

first, although she has great recovery(bomb jumps zair and upb) it is predictable and just like in melee, very slow. you wait just as long as you want while she bomb jumps because kirby so floaty. and as mentioned below, even if samus sends missiles at kirby, he can still use his bair after his jumps and eat those up.

second, samus' projectiles are very good at a distance, kirbys bair eats missles for breakfast, can duck under super missles and the only projectile that really wins here is charge shot(fully charge) but even this can be sheilded or dodged with relative ease.

third , samus has a lot of power on the ground, Sh nair and zair can keep kirby at bay if shes not using missles, and zair can be ducked for the most part. samus has a strong dsmash(and quick) and good fsmash. down air can edge guard kirby well to so be carefull when off stage.

over all id say that samus is 60-40 in kirbys favor.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You should be aware of the new discovery by ewic. It's called Low Charge Shot. What Samus is capable of doing is firing an uncharged Charge Shot and lowering it upon landing as she begins to fire her Charge Shot. It's capable of hitting small targets and those who like to crouch. You should also be aware that Super Missiles can hit Kirby, despite his small size. He can crouch to dodge this, but that's why we have Homing Missiles. And yes, even z-air can hit a crouching Kirby. I thought I'd let you all know that.

psykoplympton said:
over all id say that samus is 60-40 in kirbys favor
You call that "slight"? If that's slight, then I should increase the amount Samus has against Bowser, calling it 80-20 instead of 70-30. As if Bowser had a slight disadvantage against Samus.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
"Most of her moves"? Let's see what Samus has. Charge Shot, Homing Missile, Super Missile, f-tilt, d-tilt (yes, this has great range, considering Samus' d-tilt beats Zelda's d-tilt, and Zelda moves her leg outward). It's interesting that jiovanni007 agrees with me that range isn't equivalent to start-up time, and that Samus beats Kirby in range, yet you say that Kirby's f-smash "outranges most of [Samus'] moves."
First off, you're severely misinterpreting a lot of what people are trying to say >_<
Second, projectiles != range, as someone else already pointed out.
Third,
Me said:
Well, on the ground, fsmash outranges most of her moves.
I was talking about ground vs. ground.

Your expectations are wrong. Without DI, she might be KO'd off the stage if she is at the edge. With DI, Samus can survive if she is at 100% and f-smashed. I tested this out just now, putting Samus at the edge for every test. I didn't test anything higher than 100%, but that's only because you said "90-100%." You're better off using Kirby's Forward+B, but that attack is slightly slower than Ness' f-smash. (Since this discovery of Kirby's Forward+B being slightly slower than Ness' f-smash, my brother has been using the f-smash more in his gameplay. Thanks for revealing that to us, whoever played as Kirby in an FFA match. :))
Ok, then I might have underestimated her weight a tiny bit. Though even with DI, surviving Kirby's Fsmash at 100% on the edge is fishy, for even the heaviest characters. Kirby's fsmash is just overpowered, I'll try testing it out myself.

I don't think you're aware of the possibilities Samus has with her d-tilt. She can f-air to d-tilt without leaving any time for her opponent to shield or dodge, since it's buffered the moment she touches the ground. As for Samus' Charge Shots, that's not a problem. We Samus players find ways of using our Charge Shots. If you ever brawled with Xyro77, you'll know what I am talking about.
Ok. I don't know the percent dtilt kos at, care to share it? :/
And just so you're aware of Kirby's possibilities with his Fsmash, dair->fsmash, dtilt trip->fsmash. Possibly grab release->fsmash, but only if the Samus isn't expecting it, and doesn't know how to react. So I guess that doesn't really count.

Us Kirby players find ways of using our Charge Shots too ^_^

Never heard of him, but I should tell you that the Samus player (that never plays me) that I mentioned earlier was SirRavin, the guy whose video you posted. He pwned me last time I played him, but I've gotten better since then, though I assume he has too.

And I was fighting a Samus today (he just picked her up, but he's pretty decent) and I found that because of her weird physics, she is pretty much impossible to juggle with dthrow->uptilt. Fthrow->uair works, but only once, and she can DI out of the uptilt followup.

However, these same physics make her fairly vulnerable to fthrow->fair at slightly higher percentages.

A smart Kirby will expect dair, you should only land it against a good Kirby when he's trying to recover, and low on jumps. shrug

lololol "Laggier moves"? Did you know that Samus' aerial attacks have little to no lag, especially when she lands on the ground? And don't think that Samus is like Bowser or Donkey Kong when it comes to weight. She's heavy, yes, but compared between her and the other two giants, she doesn't suffer as much.
Again, misinterpreting. I meant startup lag. Her aerials may come out fast, but I think you can agree that they won't come out as fast as Meta Knight's >_<

The meta-games have changed. If you jump out after Samus while she is off the stage, don't think she won't use Homing Missiles to force you back on the stage, let alone think that Samus won't use Bombs to recover, saving her second jump and Screw Attack. In this instance, the Screw Attack isn't really necessary. Besides, when it comes to edge-guarding, Samus beats Kirby. She can use projectile attacks and z-air.
I just want to point out that Kirby's fair, bair, (onstage) ftilt, utilt, and some other moves can cancel out homing missiles. In fact, I think jab does too.

I also found that Screw Attack is really easy to edgehog, if timed properly o_o that shouldn't happen often in a pro matchup though.

I dunno what else to say. Samus' edgeguarding probably is pretty good, but I still insist that Kirby's is better.

In conclusion, I dunno what to say about the matchup XD somewhere around 50-50 wouldn't be unreasonable, but most seem to agree that it's in Kirby's favor. I suppose 60-40 seems good.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
You should be aware of the new discovery by ewic. It's called Low Charge Shot. What Samus is capable of doing is firing an uncharged Charge Shot and lowering it upon landing as she begins to fire her Charge Shot. It's capable of hitting small targets and those who like to crouch. You should also be aware that Super Missiles can hit Kirby, despite his small size. He can crouch to dodge this, but that's why we have Homing Missiles. And yes, even z-air can hit a crouching Kirby. I thought I'd let you all know that.
k i was unsure of the zair hitting kirby ty for the knowledge. and i know homing missles, well, you know, home in on things. but thats why i mentioned kirbys ability to destroy them with a bair.

You call that "slight"? If that's slight, then I should increase the amount Samus has against Bowser, calling it 80-20 instead of 70-30. As if Bowser had a slight disadvantage against Samus.
good thing we are not talking about bowser and his matchup vs samus right now. get over it.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
What? 60-40 is slight, the only thing not neutral that's less slight is 55-45. Maybe we need a new liaison from the Samus boards >.>

Crystanium

Smash Hero
First off, you're severely misinterpreting a lot of what people are trying to say >_<
I apologize if I am. It's not my intent.

Second, projectiles != range, as someone else already pointed out.
That person mentioned melee attacks. Projectile attacks are still ranged attacks, which is why Samus excels in mid- to long-range combat.

Third,I was talking about ground vs. ground.
Well, if there were any aerial attacks that were used against a grounded Kirby, it'd probably be n-air or d-air. F-air is too risky to use, especially since Samus could be shield-grabbed that way, if the person doesn't properly move backwards while using f-air.

Ok, then I might have underestimated her weight a tiny bit. Though even with DI, surviving Kirby's Fsmash at 100% on the edge is fishy, for even the heaviest characters. Kirby's fsmash is just overpowered, I'll try testing it out myself.
I tested it out with Samus on the edge. I had no one else to help me with DI, since my brother was and still is at work. I DI'd diagonal-up. Don't be surprised. When I spoke with some Ness mainers in the Ness boards, I told them I have DI'd Ness' back throw. Ness' back throw can KO opponents in the 100% range.

Ok. I don't know the percent dtilt kos at, care to share it? :/
I don't know what percent Kirby would be KO'd if Samus used her d-tilt.

Us Kirby players find ways of using our Charge Shots too ^_^
Yeah, that's no fun. So I pester the Kirby player who has my ability, since if the Charge Shot is interrupted by an attack, it needs to be charged up again.

Never heard of him, but I should tell you that the Samus player (that never plays me) that I mentioned earlier was SirRavin, the guy whose video you posted. He pwned me last time I played him, but I've gotten better since then, though I assume he has too.
I'd really like to brawl with SirRavin. I had him on my Brawl Friend Code, but I never played against him. I want to do Samus dittos.

And I was fighting a Samus today (he just picked her up, but he's pretty decent) and I found that because of her weird physics, she is pretty much impossible to juggle with dthrow->uptilt. Fthrow->uair works, but only once, and she can DI out of the uptilt followup.
That's one of the best things about Samus. Using Samus' weakness (her floatiness) and making it her strength. Because of this, Samus cannot be chain-grabbed by Falco.

A smart Kirby will expect dair, you should only land it against a good Kirby when he's trying to recover, and low on jumps. shrug
I didn't say that I can land a d-air on Kirby while he's in the air. If anything, I try to get back to the ground. Bombs are more preferable to use than d-air anyway. It's only one of those situations where I feel so overwhelmed by my opponent that I use d-air and am satisfied if I spike him or her to their doom.

Again, misinterpreting. I meant startup lag. Her aerials may come out fast, but I think you can agree that they won't come out as fast as Meta Knight's >_<
It's not quick like Meta Knight's, but you can use Samus' f-air, for example twice in the air. You can f-air, then do your double jump and use f-air again. It'll come out so fast that if performed right, you won't even see Samus flip while performing her second jump. You'll just see f-air and f-air, though you'll see Samus bounce upward.

I just want to point out that Kirby's fair, bair, (onstage) ftilt, utilt, and some other moves can cancel out homing missiles. In fact, I think jab does too.
The purpose of Homing Missiles isn't to harm Samus' opponent. Power doesn't necessarily mean that the person will win. This is why, for example, Bowser is easily pressured against Samus. To quote Rohins,

Rohins said:
The goal of the spam isn't really to hit the opponent with my missiles, chargeblasts, zair, etc. That's just a bonus if they get hit. The purpose is to set the pace of the match and limit the opponent's options. If you frustrate them, they will make unprepared approaches which are easy to punish.
So, you can jab and hit and do whatever you wish with the Homing Missiles. We're controlling the stage by making you do what we want you to do. Power is useless if you have no control over it. Again, that's why Bowser is easily pressured against Samus.

I also found that Screw Attack is really easy to edgehog, if timed properly o_o that shouldn't happen often in a pro matchup though.
Some like to stall, like me. Once those invincible frames are out of the way, I can use my Screw Attack and increase your damage percent. I do this a lot to most of my opponents in free-for-all matches.

I suppose 60-40 seems good.
Before anyone says that the match-up should be 60-40 or whatever, I'd like to see how anyone even comes up with these numbers in the first place.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Before anyone says that the match-up should be 60-40 or whatever, I'd like to see how anyone even comes up with these numbers in the first place.
50-50: Neutral
Characters are evenly matched
Winner will be determined by the skill of the players
Smart counterpicking will give one player the advantage

55-45: Slight Advantage/Neutral
One character has a small advantage
Among players even in skill level, the player with the advantaged character will win slightly more of the time, but tournament sets can go either way
Smart counterpicking will tilt the advantage in favour of the counterpicker

60-40: Advatage
One character has one large or multiple small attributes that gives it the advantage
Among players even in skill level, the player with the advantaged character will win more of the time, and has a tournament set in his favour
Smart counterpicking will even the matchup

70-30: Large advantage
One character has several large attributes that gives it the advantage, or a single attribute that completely shuts down the opposing character
Among players even in skill level, the player with the advantaged character will win most of the time and may sweep a tournament set or three-stock his opponent
Smart counterpicking will decrease the disadvantage, but not even the matchup

I honestly just thought of this^^ right now, by myself
This is so awesome that I may just have to put it in the first post

Crystanium

Smash Hero
good thing we are not talking about bowser and his matchup vs samus right now. get over it.
And we're not talking about Meta Knight, either, but Asdioh brought him up. Special pleading? No, seriously, I wasn't aware that 60-40 meant "slight disadvantage." In fact, how do you get to these percentages? Please take a look at my thread in the Brawl Tactical Discussion regarding match-up numbers.

MK26, I replied to that in my thread at the Brawl Tactical Discussion.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
And we're not talking about Meta Knight, either, but Asdioh brought him up. Special pleading? No, seriously, I wasn't aware that 60-40 meant "slight disadvantage." In fact, how do you get to these percentages? Please take a look at my thread in the Brawl Tactical Discussion regarding match-up numbers.

MK26, I replied to that in my thread at the Brawl Tactical Discussion.
It means that in a match with players of equal skill Kirby will win ~60% of the time and Samus ~40% of the time. The odds aren't that much in the favor of Kirby, but still in his favor.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It means that in a match with players of equal skill Kirby will win ~60% of the time and Samus ~40% of the time. The odds aren't that much in the favor of Kirby, but still in his favor.
I'm aware of this. What I am asking is how you get to this? And "equal" skill? You'd need to computers of the same mind, so to speak, to play characters A and B in equal skill.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
I'm aware of this. What I am asking is how you get to this? And "equal" skill? You'd need to computers of the same mind, so to speak, to play characters A and B in equal skill.
We just assume the players are at the highest skill possible (comps can't do it since they aren't the highest skill possible) and what each character could do in that situation. Kirby has more options to use against Samus in this match, but not enough to put Samus in a situation where it would be incredibly difficult to win. Things like Kirby's bair penetrating missiles and nfc charge beams take away from Spamus' game a bit without taking away from Kirby's since a lot of us spam bair and fair to begin with. Accounting for all factors, its safe to say that Kirby is at a distinct advantage in this match, but not a big enough advantage that would make it a surprise if Samus beat Kirby assuming the two playing them were of equal and high skill.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
I'm aware of this. What I am asking is how you get to this?And "equal" skill? You'd need to computers of the same mind, so to speak, to play characters A and B in equal skill.
its more of a rough statistics kind of thing. you an estimation based on knowledge.
also, equal skill is an assumption, no two persons can be the same in skill. it is impossible but if they were and they used characters A and B then it would contribute to our statistics.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
is this going to be sticked ?
It should be. It's a guide for Kirby, after all. Ask phanna. He stickied my Samus guide. He might do the same for you. :bee:

Well, I am out, Kirby mainers! Good discussing with you guys. And though I was the only Samus mainer who participated with this, it's probably best to ask a few other Samus players about the information. I will return to this board later on when I get to the Kirby in my Log Book. Until then, see you next mission!

T-nuts

Smash Ace
Unless you're brawling with someone who is really good at spiking his or her opponent. Kirby isn't unstoppable. Of course, what you just said doesn't make sense. You state that Kirby doesn't use u-air off the stage, and then you say that you should never be able to KO a good Kirby with d-air while he tries to u-air.

Kirby beats Samus at edge-guarding? If Kirby is returning to the stage, then he is not edge-guarding. If Kirby goes out after Samus if he is edge-guarding, he can expect some Homing Missiles in his face. They're called "Homing" Missiles for a reason. If Samus edge-guards Kirby, Kirby can fly, but Samus doesn't need to be close to Kirby in order to hit Kirby. Even if Kirby does return to the stage, big deal? If Kirby edge-guarded, he would have to fly out and use his aerial attacks, but Homing Missiles would annoy him.
No, what I said makes perfect sense. kirby doesnt use uair off stage. so, if kirby is juggling samus, samus will be above the stage. Even if you did hit kirby with the dair while he was trying to uair you, he would fly straight down into the stage, which would not kill him, ever. therefore, kirby never uses uair off stage, AND samus's dair will never kill kirby. Asdioh is right, you really are misinterpreting a lot.

and yes, kirby beats samus at edge guarding in this matchup. samus cannot edge guard kirby because kirby can go too high to be edgeguarded by samus. and NO, samus's projectiles, including homing missles, will NOT get high enough to hit kirby if he recovers properly, unless he get hit with an attack that had a really low trajectory. and kirby can edgeguard samus. if kirby is above samus, the homing missle "strategy" you have isnt going to work. also, im 95% sure kirby can just kick right through homing missles with his bair anyway, while continuing to move toward samus.

"even if kirby gets back to the stage, big deal?" you realize that means you didnt edgeguard him right? and the whole point of your argument was to convince me samus is the better edgeguarder? are you listening to yourself?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Before you go, Dryn, what numbers would YOU put for the matchup, and why? The entire theory behind matchup ratings (and that is what the whole thing is: theory) is that we're talking about two players with maximum knowledge about both characters and top level skill.

Also, this.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Hahaha he comes and argues with us a lot and then leaves without even posting his opinion on the match up ratio.

Anyway, I also contest every 40-60 character listed.

I think all of those chars are better match ups than listed. Except maybe g&w, I'd be willing to let him stay at 40-60.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Large Advantage (70-30):
Bowser
Captain Falcon (Change to 60-40?)
Fox
Ike (Change to 60-40?)
Ivysaur (Change to 60-40?)
Link

Advantage (60-40):
Charizard
Diddy Kong
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff
Olimar
Shiek
Sonic
Toon Link (Change to 55-45?)
Wolf (Change to 50-50?)
(Add Sheik/Zelda?)

Small Advantage (55-45):
Falco
King Dedede
Luigi
Zero Suit Samus

Neutral (50-50):
Donkey Kong
Lucas (Change to 60-40?)
Ness
Peach
Pikachu
Squirtle
Yoshi

Small Disadvantage (45-55):
Lucario
Mario
Meta Knight (Change to 40-60?)
Pit
Wario

Disadvantage (40-60):
Mr. Game&Watch
Ice Climbers
R.O.B.
Samus (Change to 55-45?)
Snake
Zelda

Slight Large Disadvantage (35-65):
Marth (Change to 40-60?)

I'm just testing the water with these. They're just possibilities. Discuss.

EDIT: Changed to edited list. Still just possibilities. Keep discussing.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Hahaha he comes and argues with us a lot and then leaves without even posting his opinion on the match up ratio.
You're ignorant on the matter. I made a thread yesterday regarding match-up numbers and why we even have them. So far, I've been told that they're arbitrary, so really, what's the point of having match-up numbers if they're arbitrary? So, what I plan on doing is studying every character in the game. One example is PKNintendo's thread, which is about a tier list for recoveries. My plan is to figure out who has the most KO potential, who has better recovery, better range, &c. So, until then, you're more than welcome to put up arbitrary numbers, try out my method, or have character A and B fight in one-hundred matches to determine the amount of percent each character wins in each match. If you didn't know, numbers like 60-40 simply represent percent. A, for example, will win 60% of the time, while B will win 40% of the time.

Top Bottom