• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Official Kirby Matchup Rankings AND GUIDE Thread! :: OMGOMGOMG! We're done!

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
I'm saving MK for when the MK board does the matchup.

I have a lil surprise for you all that'll be up before the day is done. I just have to finalize that Ivy is 60-40 in Kirby's favour, and the beta form of my project will be released.

I havent decided on next week yet.

Week 16 will be Ike. The chart said so.

Just by lookin at it, it should be obvious what everything means. If you have a question, either you're stupid or I did something wrong (more than likely the second option)
If a picture doesnt look right, or you'd like to comment on something, go right ahead

P.s. i'd like some sort of medal for figuring out how to make something this good-looking with Microsoft Word and Paint
P.p.s. /sarcasm on at least half of the text in this post

EDITZ:

Week 16: A Fire Emblem Swordsman

Ike

"Hey good lookin...o wait"
Wait...what?​

Difficulty rating: 60-40

Gogogo

kirbz

Smash Apprentice
first! okay, now on ike. oh noes! i've never fought a good ike! i find his copy abilty good because of SA and easy kills ( i killed an ike at 21% one time).

he isn't that hard to combo, i like dthrow > uptilt > bair

most of his attacks are kind of laggy...

he also has above average spikes.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Maestro Kirby, I disagree on Dedede being 60-40 Kirby's favor, it's even or 55-45 at most.
I think Ice Climbers are an even matchup, but Bunny agrees with your number it seems.
I also slightly disagree with 40-60 ROB's favor, it's either 45-55 or in my opinion, neutral.

Good chart though.

As for Ike...your chart seems to have that right too.

I've fought some very good Ikes...he can rack up damage fast, and kill ridiculously early. He's slow, however, and dthrow chains own him.

My biggest problem are Ikes that camp Nair and Fair, but that can probably beat by Final Cutter spam (but spamming/camping are against my morals so I don't know how effective it is)

Kirby can combo and gimp Ike really easily... but if you're too aggressive he'll just Counter your obvious attacks.

So yeah, anywhere from 50-50 to 60-40 Kirby's favor. I doubt it could be in Ike's favor, unless any Ike mains could convince me otherwise?

I'd also like to point out here that Renegade TX is a nubby :D
:D

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Maestro Kirby, I disagree on Dedede being 60-40 Kirby's favor, it's even or 55-45 at most.
I think Ice Climbers are an even matchup, but Bunny agrees with your number it seems.
I also slightly disagree with 40-60 ROB's favor, it's either 45-55 or in my opinion, neutral.
I'm just rehashing everything that's already been agreed upon either in this thread or Peterson's.
O wait...we've already done D3. That's why it's coloured and not gray...and the Dededes agree that Kirby is a D3 counter (the bracketed number). We can do ROB soon as well, I just put him on the Priority Discussions list

kirbz

Smash Apprentice
you know how when you are on the edge you drop an FC onto the stage?
i learned (or think) that ikes (or even marths) can't use counter on it because...

just wanted to point that out.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Well, Ikes for the most part consider this matchup fairly neutral. (As do I, though a good Kirby is hard to find) While Kirby can indeed use throw chains and such, the problem for him is that any good Ike will space fairs and nairs so well that he can't ever get inside Ike. However, once he's there, Kirby can smack Ike up until the Ike manages to GTHO.

Spacing is the key to this matchup for Ike, especially since he should be killing Kirby very early (likely off the top).

The key to this matchup for Kirby is breaking Ike's spacing (Final Cutter won't do it, and is just asking to get faired or jabbed) and then going for throw combos, getting Ike off the stage, and gimping him, though an Ike that's about to get gimped might decide to Aethercide.

§leepy God

Smash Master
It's Ike's turn eh? Well not much to defend Ike's having the upper hand than Kirby due to Kirby being king of the sky's and all. Ike's best stage is for fighting Kirby would be Norfair, Pirate Ship, or Castle Siege, I say this because these stages almost always cover Ike's recovery. On ground fight's or range fight's or killing faster, Ike win's, but Kirby has better recovery, faster attacks, better air game, and more uses for his grab's to Ike's. So 60-40 Kirby does sound fair.... well to me. Now YagamiLight is going to make me look like a n00b talking now.

kirbz

Smash Apprentice
just curious, but what are most ike's favoritest moves? that's important

apparently nair and fair are some of them.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Good god I hate Ike's smashes.

§leepy God

Smash Master
just curious, but what are most ike's favoritest moves? that's important

apparently nair and fair are some of them.
A lot of Ike mains use Side Special a lot because it can lead to combo's or a fast attack, don't forget the Down Air as well, great spike, it's hard to Aethercide Kirby though. =/

Edited: Oh, I forgot about the Side Smash and Back Air.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
You'll most likely see a lot of fair, nair, an occaisional bair, ftilt, utilt, usmash as you come down, and of course the jab combo (most likely jab canceled into an utilt to kill)

kirbz

Smash Apprentice
another question:

what is an ike's main approach tactic? i heard that with QD, a glitch can occur that usually means death to ike.

EDIT: ok, ok, fine. i get the point that good ikes don't use QD. happy?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
another question:

what is an ike's main approach tactic? i heard that with QD, a glitch can occur that usually means death to ike.
If you use swallow near the edge and the Ike uses Quick Draw, he'll fly through you and go into helpless animation off the edge. You'll still get hit though.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
another question:

A good Ike either will not approach at all, or only approach (Likely with Shnairs) until they are in range to space you with retreating fairs. As for QD, if you ever see an Ike use QD, you're likely not facing a very good Ike. For all practical purposes, Ikes will only use QD when there is absolutely no chance of it hitting you.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Commonly used attacks: Jab, Nair, Fair, Jab, Bair, Jab, Jab, USmash, Jab, some tilts, Jab.

If an Ike is approaching you with QD, go fight another Ike. That's just baaaaad. It is by no means a good approach. General approaches include Nair/Fair and Shield Canceled Jabs/Grabs.

Matchup overall...I find it easy to fight Kirbys onstage...just keep your distance and use your range to its fullest. It's offstage that is the problem here...Kirby beats the **** of Ike.

EDIT: Got beat... :/

But an added note...QD will be used as an attack when it's a guaranteed hit, i.e. using it VERY safely. This includes punishing flubbed techs, rolls, spot dodges, landing lag, or laggy attacks in general. Also can be used for zoning and slowing down the match.

kirbz

Smash Apprentice
A good Ike either will not approach at all, or only approach (Likely with Shnairs) until they are in range to space you with retreating fairs. As for QD, if you ever see an Ike use QD, you're likely not facing a very good Ike. For all practical purposes, Ikes will only use QD when there is absolutely no chance of it hitting you.
kirby isn't an approacher either... that's a problem

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Ike's approach with Fairs and Nairs. Fair has tremendous range, to the point where you can not punish him for it even though it doesn't autocancel, and it hits hard. Nair sweeps all around Ike, and it does auto-cancel, but it has less range. Better for landing near an opponent.

On the ground, GOOD Ike players will be using their jab at close range almost every time. I believe it's frame three, and Ike like to jab-cancel to deal lots of damage. They can also mix it up into a grab or combo out of this. Quick draw isn't really a primary form of approach in terms of attack, due to the stupid animation it has when it connects, leaving Ike open for half a second. It's more used for transportation.

EDIT: Kirk, who is actually an Ike player, posted first, as did SaltyKracka. Seems we all said about the thing, but naturally they are more credible.

Kirk

Smash Champion
I'm still puzzled as to why people always say Nair auto cancels...because it doesn't. It just has minimal landing lag compared to his other aerials.

/offtopic

Kirby's grab game beats up on Ike too...especially at lower percents. But all of this has been said already I think...

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Kriby ***** Ike.

xYz is in my crew and I never ever lose to him.

For anyone who didnt know, you can stone Ike's up b which ***** the hell out of him. :)

65-35 or 70-30 Kirby.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
70-30 is just too much. Play good Ikes.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
lol Kirby vs Ike is more like 60-40, not 70-30. The main issue is the fact that Kirby can grab him and hurt him quite a bit, and that he's just so much faster.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I've played good Ikes. When I played Renegade TX in an online tourney he went Ike game 1 and lost then switched to Snake cause he realized I know how to play Ikes.

Kirby ***** Ike.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Kriby ***** Ike.
No. And who's Kriby?
xYz is in my crew and I never ever lose to him.
k
For anyone who didnt know, you can stone Ike's up b which ***** the hell out of him. :)
Yes!
70-30 Kirby.
No...

:o

EDIT:
I've played good Ikes. When I played Renegade TX in an online tourney he went Ike game 1 and lost then switched to Snake cause he realized I know how to play Ikes.
Kirby ***** Ike.
Oh that explains it.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
And when I played Kirk online(granted this was a long time ago) I won like 90% of the matches.

:)

EDIT:

So if I beat all the Ikes I play offline AND online why should I not put the matchup at 65-35 or 70-30?

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
EDIT:

So if I beat all the Ikes I play offline AND online why should I not put the matchup at 65-35 or 70-30?
Because if I beat all the Marths I play online AND offline I'm still going to put the match-up at what it's supposed to be, personal experience is reduced in effectiveness for discussions.

Let's do a bit of a cursory overview of what each party has, shall we?

Ike has:

A ton more range
Way more priority
A disjointed hitbox on almost every move
More weight, by quite a bit
Stronger (I won't say MUCH stronger because Kirby is pretty buff)
Good Spikes (I find Dtilt and Reverse Aether fairly easy to land on Kirby, personally)

Kirby has:

A gimping game (Fence of pain, Down B on Aether, Dair, Inhale)
Silly grab combos (Silly means ******** here, as a grab can inflict 30% or so on Ike at 0%, although this makes up for the very large weight difference)
Aerial speed
Attack Speed
A superior recovery by quite a bit

They both have the same ground speed IIRC.

To be honest, depending on how you look at it I'd possibly say 45-55 Kirby's favor or 50-50. It's actually a fight to see who can capitalize on the other's weaknesses.

40-60 Kirby is if you REALLY stretch it, but other boards have this habit of doing that. Anything higher and I'm reporting you to the authorities for illegal substance abuse.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
And when I played Kirk online(granted this was a long time ago) I won like 90% of the matches.

:)

EDIT:

There are three very simple explanations besides numbers
A: They didn't know how to fight you.
B: You're better than they are.
C: WIFI

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Obviously I could care less if people disagree with me, just throwing my opinion out there. As I've stated many times on this thread It's not only up to me to decide what the matchup is.

I'll just continue to play Ikes at 70-30 while you guys can flounder around at 50-50 and we'll all be happy.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Obviously I could care less if people disagree with me, just throwing my opinion out there. As I've stated many times on this thread It's not only up to me to decide what the matchup is.

I'll just continue to play Ikes at 70-30 while you guys can flounder around at 50-50 and we'll all be happy.
On wifi, where matchup ratios go out the window because you can use any move with less than 14 frames and know you'll get away with it.

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
Ike is so easy to gimp (especially with kirby) and easy to "combo"

but ike is uber strong and can kill kirby REAL early if u slip up and get it by like a smash attack or something.

but i see this as 65-35 kirby favors

Top Bottom