• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Ice Climbers Video/CRITIQUE Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
jjrockets- I'll critique your videos soon. I've been rather busy lately.

Prawn- Sure. I'll do it soon.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
can you take down all my other videos and start it over starting with this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBbzMoXKxBA

I need critique too I hate Toon Links :(
I personally just go MK on Toon Link in tourney and follow the flowchart, but since you asked and I play Toon Links all the time...

You need to get in on him faster. Don't try to outcamp him, it simply doesn't work. Blizzard is ineffective unless you land it on him at very close range, he'll just punish you for it, which happened to you a lot. Toon Link often gets very predictable with his projectiles, figure out their patterns, Copacetic was doing bomb -> boomerang, unless you were close, which he then did retreating rang -> bomb, and he threw in arrows as he landed on occasion. All of Toon Link's projectiles move rather slowly, so walk towards him and powershield his boomerangs and arrows, and catch his bombs. When you have a bomb in your hand, use it to set up a grab. Throw it, dash in, footstool to ice block if it hits, uair string, or just grab, depending on the situation. Squall is great if you can come at him from an angle while his boomerang is out and he isn't holding a bomb (which you had a few openings for in the vid), it pops him up into a great spot to get juggled. The more time you spend away from Toon Link, the more free damage he gets on you. If you get him offstage, and he tries that drop bomb pull nonsense, bungie jump, get Popo on stage as fast as possible, and hold up. Nana won't get stage spiked, and you should be setup for a quick dtilt or grab, if Toon Link doesn't get edgehogged. if you Powershield Zair while running towards him, you should be able to get a grab everytime, as your momentum should keep you moving in. Jab is great in close range against him, as well, as it beats his close range options. The key is not get frustrated by his camping, you have 8 minutes to come up with 3 grabs, even if you don't kill him any other way, that's plenty of time. Projectiles aren't going to kill you, so just be cautious of them, and don't be afraid to eat a projectile if it's a positive trade for you. If I come up with more stuff I'll edit it in.

Prawn

Smash Master
thanks,

i was getting so aggravated in that match >_<

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
@ JJROCKETS- Wow, you've honestly gotten a lot better, lmao. I'm impressed.

First video- Nice job getting the first grab, and nice desynchs.

0:43-0:48 - Don't roll so much. MK punishes that pretty well. ._.

1:21 - When I'm on the ledge like that vs. MK, I like to press B while I'm on the ledge. It makes Nana shoot an Ice Block, and makes Popo do a ledge attack. Nana will also get on the ledge instead. It's pretty safe if they're not expecting it.

2:22-2:33 - Keep your head during stuff like that. You seem to have started panicking. Good stuff killing him with that FSmash though.

After a while, he started being really stupid with Tornado. Don't desynch with Ice Blocks after a while and start doing desynched blizzards. Or pivot grab it.

3:43 - You could have FSmashed him out of that Drill Rush. xD

Nana is ********. Good match. I'll watch the other one and critique soon.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
@ Prawn-

First 30 seconds or so in - Work on the desynchs. xD It looked like you were trying to do the Pivot one and the Dash Dance one and kept messing up.

Also, you can't out-camp Toon Link and he's not going to approach. You should at least try to aggro him. When he's jumping around on platforms like that, you can UpAir him pretty easily if you avoid his bombs at the same time. It's not terribly difficult, just annoying. With stuff like this, focus on the grabs less as well. Focus on getting the lead, and making him come to you.

1:44 - Nice chaingrab. :3

When you took that stock and he kept throwing bombs around...you don't really have to do anything but avoid them. xD You're a stock ahead and he's not throwing out any kill moves. Just focus on UpAir'ing him off of platforms and avoiding his bombs.

3:28 - I know you got tired of being camped, but don't aggro him when you're ahead. You're taking unnecessary damage and making a lot of mistakes.

4:10 - :urg:

4:43 - Nana can't kill in one smash from a grab. Don't do that.

You're playing very well on the last stock. That's what you're supposed to do, besides the whiffed grabs of course.

Don't let Nana die. D: Work on countering campy playstyles. You're going to run into it a lot.

Prawn

Smash Master
I think thats my problem, when it's even I don't like playing aggro in fear of losing nana etc.

But when I'm up a stock I feel like I should risk it so I can be up by a lot. And my desyncs were off from playing Wifi XD

I'm gonna try and get more videos of me up, that definitely wasn't my best showing.

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
@ JJROCKETS- Wow, you've honestly gotten a lot better, lmao. I'm impressed.

Nana is ********. Good match. I'll watch the other one and critique soon.
Thanks a ton for that critique, I really appriciate it. And yes, Nana is an idiot lol.

I have my first legit tournament this weekend, how well do you guys think I can expect to do?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431

Nick A

Smash Cadet
You've got that Snake CG down really well.

Couple things: Whenever you tried to approach Snake from the air, you would get punished. I usually just side b and get safe. You have better odds on the ground. I'm sure you know this, but dont sopo side b from the ledge. No matter what happens, you will ALWAYS get punished. Its never safe... ever. You did it once in the two videos i saw and you got hurt cuz of it.

You've inspired me to go work on my Snake CGs.

Prawn

Smash Master
Pivot grab nados,

if you get caught in nados get out and dair into the center of them. Learn to control nana better when shes off the side, you can still upb and save her after she does her ****ty upb and goes into helpless mode so just wait for it then save her.

I didnt watch it that intently but thats just a few things i notice. i feel like you focused too much on getting the grab, and even when you did you usually messed up, on MK at low percents you can just dthrow to edge and if hes over 40-50ish start the bthrow dthrow.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Sopo (even when you got nana) dthrow to the ledge, fairspike to footstool/double footstool, it´s easier since you probably dont practice the CG too much against CFs...

Prawn

Smash Master
yeah but it was for funsies so I was just trying to CG llooooll.

canadians are statistically harder to chaingrab than americans.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
The ditto is actually one of my favorite MUs. You just need to try to control your desyncs better. He saw it and took advantage of it. Plus, squall after opponents squall>squall before opponents squall. Also, blizzard his *** when he spams his squall. Just retreat a bit, then use your down-b when you see the squall coming. Don't try do down tilt them at the ledge. A blizzard works much more efficiently. Desynced blizzards to an up smash or up air works wonder in this match. Just try to capitalize on his mistakes a bit more. You just need a bit more practice in the match up as you have to learn how to play almost an entirely different play style. 3:14 - Brilliant. Try to desync more like that, and more frequently.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
The ditto is actually one of my favorite MUs. You just need to try to control your desyncs better. He saw it and took advantage of it. Plus, squall after opponents squall>squall before opponents squall. Also, blizzard his *** when he spams his squall. Just retreat a bit, then use your down-b when you see the squall coming. Don't try do down tilt them at the ledge. A blizzard works much more efficiently. Desynced blizzards to an up smash or up air works wonder in this match. Just try to capitalize on his mistakes a bit more. You just need a bit more practice in the match up as you have to learn how to play almost an entirely different play style. 3:14 - Brilliant. Try to desync more like that, and more frequently.
or, you know, just spam blizzard and squall. but, no, this... this works. just seems like a lot more work than just spamming 2 attacks over and over again. eh, its your choice.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I find it easy to get around someone that just spams those two attacks, especially if they're not desynced. But I guess if it works and it'll get you a win, then do it lol.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
in the end it doesn't matter how much you review the ditto, it always ends up with both players spamming those 2 moves over and over again. you can argue that you may not fall prey to this tactic, but in practice its an inevitability.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman

J4pu

Smash Champion
I saw you get 3 grabs during that game with nana by your side, so number 1 thing would be keep working on cg consistency though it was looking pretty decent to me, it's just when you use the same throw for both IC's it tacks on dmg so slow due to move decay.
You also needed to pick up on his habit of spotdodging anytime he was in danger of getting grabbed, just wait for it to end.
I don't have any experience myself on how to use IC's vs projectiles but I imagine the new desync is helpful since it allows popo to run forward and shield to start it.
The game was yours at the end, just bad timing on the edge-hog

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in consideration when training for this weekend's tourney. Hopefully I can beat him this time no sweat. :)

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
You play a good synced game, but you should work on desyncing more. It'll put pressure on him to move more and probably will get you a grab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom