• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Ice Climbers Video/CRITIQUE Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masterchef1123

Smash Apprentice
at 2:05 I think you should have spiked.
Don't forget about those even though it some times doesn't kill it gives you an advantage.
Also you need to work a bit on timing.
My game revolves around my down throw spike at the edge.
So I focus on timing the correct time to jump down and make them fall to their doom
However keep in mind that you also should remember the nana double side smash.
two times on the c-stick up or side
two shakes on the wii remote up or side.
Around 120% that attack can ko

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
desyncing vs adaptable (multiple flight path option) projectiles is so difficult, I would like some advice on this myself.
Against link, or tl, I'm spamming ice blocks mainly, using shield dropping occasionally, or just power shielding, really anything to stay desynced. When he throws a bomb at me, I'm already shielding so that I can just jump up and catch it with x (my grab) or my shield. I'm good at catching a bomb that bounced off of my shield because I second diddy, so that's nothing new. That makes you airdodge to catch a bomb, so if a rang or arrow comes afterwards, nana gets hit, and you can stay desynced. I'll even try the air catch to immediate throw if he's not too close. Also, I like to spot dodge his rang, and charge up a smash with nana for when it pulls me towards him. Staying desynced throughout this match isn't hard to do. Just keep moving and pressuring until you can get a grab.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Smoom (ICs) vs xPaRoXiuMx (Diddy) 1+2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVrPOLubqyM

Any advice? I made some dumb mistakes like trying to spike him, lol, but anything is welcome.
Dsmash more as SoPo, save fsmash for kills, it's easy to land. You nair a lot, which is good, particularly against diddy. At the start of the match, you let him get set up, that's not good. Don't waste your time desynching, get over there and get his bananas. When you had his bananas, you did banana->block from too far away. Do it OOS when he's close, and you'll get the grab. Diddy should almost never be able to control both bananas against you, you should always have at least one. If he catches you with a banana, stand up while having the other climber jab if you think he's going to dash attack or grab, you'll get him off you, then you can reset. If nana is offstage, just upb to save her from the spike, you'd be surprised how good the range on it is. You can outbox Diddy in close range, so don't be afraid to get right in on him if he's not holding a banana. Jab -> grab works really well on him. That's all I got for now.

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
Hey Smoom,

Ch33s3 had some great points about banana control.
I feel as if you began the match in an overly systematic mindset, particularly concerning bananas. Diddy just can't be approached with the desynched shenanigans like most cast members. It looked as though, when de-synch failed, you began rushing at him and fighting for control over bananas (control of which was dubious, giving your tendency to throw them whenever you picked one up). Unless you are SUPER confortable in this matchup, I feel as though he is going to do more damage with a loose banana than you are. So with that in mind, I encourage you to hang onto whatever bananas you can snatch and just bother him with well spaced blizzards and desynch. To echo the last post, banana to block is much better close range.

There were also some suspect f-airs, although I suspect they were botched bairs? You had some really nice motion when you scooped up tumbling nana with your squalls. I think you can space even more effeciently, and with more patience. There was one point at 4:30 ish where a ftilt could have been a gimptastic downtilt, but d-tilt may have been too slow. I am new at this. Double fair at 6:45 was fun to watch. Nice sopo work all around.

I hope my comments were in someway helpful. Great set- Keep posting vids!

J4pu

Smash Champion
on the sv match when he was planking the right side I saw you pressure him one time by grabbing the edge before he could when he was running out of jumps, then he just used UpB to get to the platform, maybe try choosing a time to apply this kind of pressure when the platform isn't on that side.
I mean he can still upB to the other side but it at least cuts his options down.

has anybody ever tried using the squall hammer under stage to hit Pit out of his UpB when he's trying to fly over? I don't even know if it's possible to recover like that though if you hit somebody mid squall.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
Squall under the stage is too risk I think. It can hit him out of his Up-B, but if we hit a character during a rising Squall, we lose height. Also Pit moves faster so it would probably put the Ice Climbers in a worse position.

Thanks for the input though.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
We lose a lot of speed, but it might work if you already have a LOT of momentum.

Too risky imo, gimp with Ice Shot or let him come back if he can't, remember even if you can't interrupt his recovery you're still in an advantageous situation with you onstage and him on the ledge.

J4pu

Smash Champion
I like how you were able to see that MK was just going after Nana in order to bait popo into doing something dangerous at first and you kinda just waited it out without falling into the trap.

But then the next time when MK was actually clearly offstage and trying to gimp nana I feel like you could have done something more to try and help her, maybe you just figured you had such a large lead and didn't want to risk getting killed early and would rather just tack on some dmg as SoPo before dying which I guess isn't too bad of an idea in this case.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
he may have tap jump off, but that doesn't make it easier/more difficult to do. i don't know why you're having trouble with it, but its just a dash dance followed by a jump. really not hard at all.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
In matches vs rob or diddy, I find it easiest to give nana the item by short hopping and z dropping. She catches it leaving numerous desync possibilities.

Grimice

Smash Apprentice
Smoom (ICs) vs xPaRoXiuMx (Diddy) 1+2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVrPOLubqyM

Any advice? I made some dumb mistakes like trying to spike him, lol, but anything is welcome.
One thing i would add shroom, is that if you are going to spike diddy dont forget the bunji jumping can be REALLY effective, spike him drop down to edge guard if he trys to metor smash and if he stalls his up-b bunji jump for the kill, it really works, very well if u wanna spike or gimp diddy off the edges.

xExile

Smash Cadet

J4pu

Smash Champion
I watched the one vs razer and all I have to say is... I was impressed, nice IC's
if someone starts SDI'ing the IB you're going to have a hard time getting in that Usmash during your CG's though. Then it will take days to get snake to a kill percent.

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
That chaingrab was too sexy for words.

I noticed that you liked to try to dash in after he uses the mortar...he always managed to punish you for it. If you shield the smash you get uptilted after.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
that cg was THE most sexiest thing ive ever seen an IC player do and with a broken arm
you also know how to handle snakes well thats good

~kudos

ch33s3

Smash Lord
I finally got around to watching you v razer, and I had some really potentially helpful advice, and then I forgot to write a reply. I'll edit this with what I was going to say later.

K, at around 1 minute you had a chance to go for my 0-death (footstool off, bair, uair, footstool), but you let him recover for free. At like, 1:30 you had him with a grenade in shield and his back to you, blizzard that for 30 free damage or a shield break. Try and be a bit more aggressive when you have him high in the air, even if you air a grenade, that's like, 25 damage for him, and 12 for you, which is worth it, especially if he's high, he might die.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
Being a diddy "secondary", I've gotten used to instant throwing grenades back at Snake. Even if he strips it, it will more often than not be thrown far enough away that it doesn't hurt you.
In case anyone doesn't know how to instant throw an item, whenever you're in about the range of being able to z-catch, or air dodge catch an item, you hit your shield button and immediately hit the c-stick in another direction. You'll grab the item, and then throw it as soon as it's caught.

Also after watching your vs Razer match, I decided to go ahead and try out smash hobbling. I wondered what controls you would use, but I ended up just using c-stick and my left trigger (set to attack) to charge the smash with just nana. It was much easier than charging a smash with grab, and then having to buffer a grab.
Just a few little tidbits for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom