• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Console Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaad

Smash Ace
I bought my 360 for GoW and Halo 3. So far GoW is a lot of fun. I got to play the Halo 3 beta from crackdown, it was awesome, but I don't know how many maps are gonna be on the final version. Thank god the ARifle is back. xD

I also have a Wii, I play it a lot more, but that's because I prefer Nintendo games over any other types of games. Wii has a lot of first party games but are starting to develop 3rd party games. Wii60!

Are there nay other shooters for 360?

Perfect Hero

Smash Apprentice
I bought my 360 for GoW and Halo 3. So far GoW is a lot of fun. I got to play the Halo 3 beta from crackdown, it was awesome, but I don't know how many maps are gonna be on the final version. Thank god the ARifle is back. xD

I also have a Wii, I play it a lot more, but that's because I prefer Nintendo games over any other types of games. Wii has a lot of first party games but are starting to develop 3rd party games. Wii60!

Are there nay other shooters for 360?
Rainbox 6: Vegas is pretty good, although pretty different then GoW. Graw is also a very good but old shooter.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yea, the Wii60 is the way to go, it would seem.

Btw, I've read some reports about a new 360 model with a smaller chip size. That would be cool, but nothing I've read mentioned anything about it being available soon. Perhaps I haven't looked in the right places? It would help out a lot with overheating issues.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I remember when I was like that. Wii60, wii60, wii60. Until I realized I'd have to do Godly well in all my subjects, pass my driving test, do lots of work around the house etc etc. So now it's wii or 60 =[

I'm not that familiar with system specs, it's just something that never stuck, but I guess it'd be good to wait for them to release a better version, but it does cause me to worry a little bit. The question always pops in my head:

They've upgraded before, what's to stop they from doing it again? What if I buy this version only for a better one to come out? [I'm not talking about elite here]

It's not enough worry to stop me from buying [as I stated before, I have a tough choice to make so even if I want to buy it I might not be able to] it, but it does create room for caution. If I had to money for a Wii60 [and a couple awesome games] I by it in a heartbeat.

Perfect Hero

Smash Apprentice
Yea, the Wii60 is the way to go, it would seem.

Btw, I've read some reports about a new 360 model with a smaller chip size. That would be cool, but nothing I've read mentioned anything about it being available soon. Perhaps I haven't looked in the right places? It would help out a lot with overheating issues.
65nm chips will come soon enough, months though. . .

In recent news, premium 360s are getting hdmi now so basicallly, just wait untill the 65nms are released and get the 360 in its: price cut, hdmi, and 65nm chips. Can't wait to get my wii. heh.

I remember when I was like that. Wii60, wii60, wii60. Until I realized I'd have to do Godly well in all my subjects, pass my driving test, do lots of work around the house etc etc. So now it's wii or 60 =[

I'm not that familiar with system specs, it's just something that never stuck, but I guess it'd be good to wait for them to release a better version, but it does cause me to worry a little bit. The question always pops in my head:

They've upgraded before, what's to stop they from doing it again? What if I buy this version only for a better one to come out? [I'm not talking about elite here]

It's not enough worry to stop me from buying [as I stated before, I have a tough choice to make so even if I want to buy it I might not be able to] it, but it does create room for caution. If I had to money for a Wii60 [and a couple awesome games] I by it in a heartbeat.
It's mainly patience right now. 360 is getting a few upgrades in the next few months and the price drop just went by. If you don't care about 65nm chips and "risk" the ROD then go ahead. The cores only 270 and the wii is 250. 360 has better games right now with more to come but wii is getting smash. I'd say 360 in the long run.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm going to buy a 360 eventually. I'm not sure went, I already used up most of my bribe points trying to get my dad to buy a ps2 for my last year and trying to get my mom to get me a wii this year. I'll probably get a job somewhere [I'll be 16 on Sunday, so I couldn't get a job this year] so I can pay for console myself.

That part of the reason I'm buying a Wii now as well. While I'm enjoying my Wii 360 will be getting better, so by the time I get around to 360 it will be less prone to ROD or any other hiccups. Plus wii only has so many games worth getting, I'll need to move on to something else after a while.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Not trying to turn this into a "Which console should I buy?" topic, but like I said on the last page, mid-September. Really whenever Microsoft ships the special Halo 3 edition 360s, those feature the 65nm chips, the added GPU heat-sink and the HDMI output, so it's more than likely that all premiums will then begin having the 65nm chips. And pst, Amazon is clearing stock of their non-HDMI 360s at $320.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yea, I just read that IGN article about the HDMI outputs on the 360 premiums. That's cool, but the 65nm chips are more important to me. I don't have an HDTV, but do want a console that will not melt down Chernobyl style mid-game.

The announcement didn't explicitly say the HDMI box's will have the 65nm chips too, but it would make sense for them to. Never know though. If the time comes where Halo 3 is out, but the premiums have HDMI but 90nm chips, it'll be a tough decision. But I don't see myself waiting.

Also reports about a 45nm later on next year. There'll probably be another price drop after that, I'd guess. That or maybe MS will just pocket the money from the reduced manufacturing costs and actually try to pull a profit on console sales, lol.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
So is lower nm good? I'm new to this, from the sound of it 90nm was the original standard and now they're going to use 65nm chips. So 65nm is better than 90nm? Right?

I haven't felt this clueless since the first time I came to this site >.<

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Right, the nm is the size of the chip in nanometers. If the chip (processor) is smaller, you can make more of them per sheet. (They actually make chips in circular sheets, then cut them out like cookie-style in case you didn't know) This means smaller chips are cheaper to make because you can get more per sheet. Also, they produce less heat naturally than a larger equivalent.

So in short: yes, a smaller nm is better. :) But it's not any more powerful in any way. It makes less heat and is cheaper. Don't expect to get more performance out of these new 360's.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Thank god Lair got delayed to September. Now I can save some money for at least one more month.

Also, luckily GTA was pushed back to next year. I'd rather have the game come out when it's good, and not when it's glitchy as ****. We also got demos for GRAW 2 and The Darkness, finally, last week. It's pretty good actually and I am contemplating both games now.

Perfect Hero

Smash Apprentice
So is lower nm good? I'm new to this, from the sound of it 90nm was the original standard and now they're going to use 65nm chips. So 65nm is better than 90nm? Right?

I haven't felt this clueless since the first time I came to this site >.<
Yep, apparently it'll help with the overheating of 360s.

DXMachina

Smash Cadet
not gonna lie: i'd rather stay mostly out of these discussions. at least no one's here going "OMG IMMA PS3 FAN AND U NINTENGAY***S R SOO STOOPID WIF UR GRAFIX AND LOLOLZ". i had to deal with that on the 72dpiarmy forums, and it wasnt fun. but yeah, i'm pro-Wii, meh on 360 (i personally think Halo 3 sucks, but eh, w/e), and completely anti PS3. i could explain, but i wont, because im way too biased.

F8X

Smash Ace
not gonna lie: i'd rather stay mostly out of these discussions. at least no one's here going "OMG IMMA PS3 FAN AND U NINTENGAY***S R SOO STOOPID WIF UR GRAFIX AND LOLOLZ". i had to deal with that on the 72dpiarmy forums, and it wasnt fun. but yeah, i'm pro-Wii, meh on 360 (i personally think Halo 3 sucks, but eh, w/e), and completely anti PS3. i could explain, but i wont, because im way too biased.

Umm..What?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Question

Is this the right topic to talk about currrent sales figures and predictions of future sales figures?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Correct.

On a side note, because of Crisis Core, last week the PSP sold 270,000 - 300,000 units in Japan. This is AMAZING because the second highest sales was the DS at 47,000, then the Wii at 24. Following that was the PS2 and then the PS3 then 360. Not too shabby for ONE game. Granted, the Japanese love Final Fantasy.

Sariku

Smash Master
Correct.

On a side note, because of Crisis Core, last week the PSP sold 270,000 - 300,000 units in Japan. This is AMAZING because the second highest sales was the DS at 47,000, then the Wii at 24. Following that was the PS2 and then the PS3 then 360. Not too shabby for ONE game. Granted, the Japanese love Final Fantasy.
Holy ****... that's more PSP's than Sony ever sold... well it seems like it. One game sold that much?

Hopefully Smash can do that for the Wii.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Halo 3 may have sold over 58,000 units in Japan in the first week of Halo 3's release, but my intuition tells me that this won't last. Super Mario Galaxy is very close to being released, and as soon as that game is out, it will overshadow Halo 3. Don't Forget that Brawl is on the way too. The Japanese love Mario, which is why New Super Mario Bros. for the DS sold excellently. This wouldn't be the first time though. Blue Dragon was overshadowed in the sales charts when Yoshi's Island DS and Super Paper Mario came out. If you disagree, please explain why thoroughly.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Holy ****... that's more PSP's than Sony ever sold... well it seems like it. One game sold that much?

Hopefully Smash can do that for the Wii.
It sold 500,000 in two weeks. It helped greatly that the new PSP model came out right when this game did as well.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Halo 3 may have sold over 58,000 units in Japan in the first week of Halo 3's release, but my intuition tells me that this won't last. Super Mario Galaxy is very close to being released, and as soon as that game is out, it will overshadow Halo 3. Don't Forget that Brawl is on the way too. The Japanese love Mario, which is why New Super Mario Bros. for the DS sold excellently. This wouldn't be the first time though. Blue Dragon was overshadowed in the sales charts when Yoshi's Island DS and Super Paper Mario came out. If you disagree, please explain why thoroughly.
Blue Dragons "overshadowing" had little to do with other games released at the time. It has more to do with Japan not being to keen on the 360. For comparsion Halo 3 sold 58,000 units in it's first week in Japan. It sold over 2 million in the first 2 days in the US.

Basically, it doesn't take much to overshadow any 360 game in Japan but that's common knowledge so what point are you trying to make exactly?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The 360 really is a lost cause in Japan. Microsoft is even starting to realize this, and have stated that their main focus is shifting from pleasing the Japanese market to pleasing the European market.

JadenStryfe

Smash Rookie
The 360 really is a lost cause in Japan. Microsoft is even starting to realize this, and have stated that their main focus is shifting from pleasing the Japanese market to pleasing the European market.
Where it should be because the Japanese just don't care while the Europeans actually do. Sony and Nintendo have Japan on Lockdown. Microsoft has America at it's fingertips with Nintendo trying to figure out how to wedge in their somehow. Sony....well.....stick a fork in them. Everyone I talk to about Sony and the PS3 seem to feel like Sony is a money grubbing piece of crap. Even when they announced the news that they were releasing a 400 dollar PS3, everyone wanted to know what was wrong with it. Then they found out it had no backwards compatibility, 2 less usb ports, and no memory stick readers. There is a reason why Sony is dying. The game division shot itself. The company is just taking a while to pull the plug. Europe is where Microsoft needs to aim as well as Canada. They can make up for the lost business of Japan there.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Where it should be because the Japanese just don't care while the Europeans actually do. Sony and Nintendo have Japan on Lockdown. Microsoft has America at it's fingertips with Nintendo trying to figure out how to wedge in their somehow. Sony....well.....stick a fork in them. Everyone I talk to about Sony and the PS3 seem to feel like Sony is a money grubbing piece of crap. Even when they announced the news that they were releasing a 400 dollar PS3, everyone wanted to know what was wrong with it. Then they found out it had no backwards compatibility, 2 less usb ports, and no memory stick readers. There is a reason why Sony is dying. The game division shot itself. The company is just taking a while to pull the plug. Europe is where Microsoft needs to aim as well as Canada. They can make up for the lost business of Japan there.
Sony isn't dying. They are a multifaceted corporation, like how MS is with computers. The 400 dollar PS3 is not a bad item. I rarely use BC save for maybe a game or two. I use 2 USB ports max, and I didn't even know about the memory card reader. You pay $400; you get a **** good Blu-Ray player, which is becoming the standard, and you get a bunch of games. I see nothing of remote value from the Wii right and MS is sitting good. In short, to make ANY claims about any company having won already is baseless and stupid.

When this generation started, I said Live will beat whatever the other two put out. PSN is quite excellent now and WiiConnect will be on it's way in a few months. The generation is different because it's so much more technologically advanced than the other gens.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
What's up with the uniform moderator avatars? Am I missing out a fad here?

Anyway, I agree with CK. Blu-Ray players cost a lot of money and Sony is basically giving you a 2 for 1 sale. While it's probably costing Sony some money [seeing as without the player it would be cheaper] it's definitely worth it.

Honestly, if any company wanted to 'win' they could just shove in some motion sensing controllers with some casual motion sensing based games and do it better than Nintendo is doing it right now.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
What's up with the uniform moderator avatars? Am I missing out a fad here?
It's was a prank on us. We are all HAL 9000 from 2001.

Anyway, I agree with CK. Blu-Ray players cost a lot of money and Sony is basically giving you a 2 for 1 sale. While it's probably costing Sony some money [seeing as without the player it would be cheaper] it's definitely worth it.

Honestly, if any company wanted to 'win' they could just shove in some motion sensing controllers with some casual motion sensing based games and do it better than Nintendo is doing it right now.
See, that's the point. The Blu-Ray is an investment for later. The 360 lacked HD DVD movie playback and sold a separate attachment later. Instead of going that route, the PS3 had it included. Sure, I wouldn't have gone out my way to get it until MUCH MUCH later, I like having the ability to watch and buy Blu-Ray.

As for motion sensor: It's a fad. Motion sensing in home console games will never be like we see in movies. Games are for relaxing, not standing up and looking like a humongous tool. I turn off the SixAxis when I can, and I'm grateful I actually can. People love it and people hate it. I just think it should be used as a feature and not as a staple. This was a HUGE factor in my waiting to get a Wii.

The biggest issues I have with the Wii is what is it going to do in 4 years? Technology is increasing at a hyper fast rate. How will a console with no Hard Drive, no HD capabilities, and rapidly limited disc space keep up when the generation hits it's peak and we start getting amazing cross platform games. Will the Wii get no more ports or be left with horrible watered down ports that use the motion sensor to distract the gamer? Hopefully not.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
It's was a prank on us. We are all HAL 9000 from 2001.

As for motion sensor: It's a fad. Motion sensing in home console games will never be like we see in movies. Games are for relaxing, not standing up and looking like a humongous tool. I turn off the SixAxis when I can, and I'm grateful I actually can. People love it and people hate it. I just think it should be used as a feature and not as a staple. This was a HUGE factor in my waiting to get a Wii.
It's not a fad, it's not even close. Most of the Wii games don't require you to stand up. I play Metroid Prime 3 sitting down, and I still get a great experience out of it. Your view point is coming from a very narrow minded view point if you think it's a fad. The Wii has the same amount of good games the PS3 has right now, if not alot more. Developers are starting to get the handle on the Wii, and alot of good games are coming out. The next 3 weeks is huge for the Wii. BWii, Guitar Hero 3, Mario Galaxies, Manhunt 2. All of these are going to sell well.

I think the PS3 is going to do well, but I can't agree with you on the Wii being a fad. When you sell more units in 1 year, than the Xbox 360 did in 2, and you continue to be in short supply, i don't think you are a fad.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I think the PS3 is going to do well, but I can't agree with you on the Wii being a fad. When you sell more units in 1 year, than the Xbox 360 did in 2, and you continue to be in short supply, i don't think you are a fad.
That's pretty much the definition of a fad. Will it be long term sales ala the PS2 or will it be a quick burst for now, one games become the focus and they, hopefully steer away from their mini-game focus as of late. Time will tell.

I also meant everything about the Wii was so gimmicky. The motion sensing is neat for a while, but I thought it made Madden so lame and so much harder than it should have been. Also, arthritis kills the Wii for me for long periods of time which shows they didn't think of everyone when designing it. All they would have had to do was make a normal controller along side of it and I would have been good to go. Now myself, along with anyone else who has Tendinitis, RMS, or anything else that afflicts their arm movement is left out.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Continuing from the Gimpyfish thread so as to keep that thread about Gimpyfish's updates.

Re-Directing topic here (as suggested by moderator Chill)

Quoted for convenience (so you don't have to run around through the Gimpyfish thread)
You know... I have a feeling that the game might still change a lot. Especially in terms of techniques like l-canceling. The zero lag after fast-falling was quite possibly just a glitch and Sakurai actually intended not to have any canceling at all... for the demo.

It has probably been suggested that the game was toned down specifically for the demo ( I think Gimpy suggested that it l-cancels automatically? )...
And I don't find that very unlikely.
At the Games Convention in Leipzig, I visited the Nintendo booth, which was filled only with casual games, brain games for the DS, Wii Fit, stuff like that. A hardcore gamer went to complain to an official representative from Nintendo, and I followed him.
The man made clear that the purpose of the booth was to attract the casual gamer, and casual gamers only. Apparently, they are worried that if they had put hardcore games on display, the casual gamers would be turned off by that.

Now, chances are Nintendo still wants to cater to casuals, but couldn't possibly afford to not showcase Brawl at all.
Maybe the playable demo was a compromise. Nintendo knew that a lot of hardcore Smashers would go there and play the heck out of the game, and they were scared that, if the old techniques were still in, the new audience they're trying to attract would watch the pros do all kinds of crazy stuff or even walk into a battle with one and be completely owned, which would definitely not be good advertisement for what is largely a "party game".

For the record, I don't care about wavedashing or so, but shuffling is far more important and helps create some better chances for slower characters like Link...

And after all, Sakurai seems to have given the hardcore community several winks already... calling Smash a sport, hinting at the hardcore gamers who try to get impossible highscores in BTT, and some other instances. It's not a coincidence that Melee has l-canceling and stuff... Sakurai wants his game to allow for higher level play. At least that's what I believe.
That's kinda dumb on Nintendo (hating on their most dedicated fans), but smart on Sakurai's point. Proof that he's aiming at us actually, or rather...aiming at everyone with Brawl. Still...Nintendo is kinda retarted now, aiming at casuals over dedicated and hardcore gamers. They seem to be on a thin line, and if they side with the casuals, while screwing over the dedicated and hardcore gamers, the Xbox 360 will win this gen-by a good margin. Anyways, hopefully Nintendo can keep both parties happy, with games like TP, SM Galaxy, and Brawl. Mainly the later, like they did with Melee. And hopefully Brawl does have a wider target range then a lot of other Nintendo games (*cough*WiiFit*cough*).

So ya, I think this is a very intresting point Fawriel, FOR REALz! :laugh: Hopefully you are right, though. :lick:
hate to break it to ya but you got that backwards. it sucks to be us the hardcore, because the truth is there is a lot more money in casual gaming. While they don't want to abandon the hardcore, their also going to focus on making it easier for casual gamers to pick up games. The wii recently passed the 360 (in less than a year), with halo 3 the xbox got a boost and got back on top, but i doubt that will last. The sad truth is nintendo's casual strategy is working. That said Brawl will still be great and sakurai will surely make it so both casuals and hardcore love it. Though I don't believe that the demo was made easier to pick up.
Indeed. Nintendo was one of the first into gaming and so they would have the most experience with how sales and marketing work with their product (seeing as how Nintendo is a strictly gaming company). Sony came in afterwards and Microsoft even later. Now I don't deny that there have been great games from the PS2 and Xbox (XB 1 and 2) but, it seems that if Sony and Microsoft don't think of something new (or rip something off of Nintendo like they've been doing) then their consoles will eventually decline and Nintendo will always be on top. Nintendo has shown the ONLY willingness to try new things and all Sony and Microsoft do is buff their specs and make them into Media players (which you don't really need if you can afford their console since people will already have a DVD player or a computer). All you'll have left of the Sony/Microsoft fanbase is the hardcore gamers and people don't live forever so the hardcore gamers will fade away with time. Getting new fans all the time (which is what Nintendo is doing) by trying to appeal to everyone as a whole and making games casual gamer-friendly will always attract new customers.

Crom

Smash Journeyman
Indeed. Nintendo was one of the first into gaming and so they would have the most experience with how sales and marketing work with their product (seeing as how Nintendo is a strictly gaming company). Sony came in afterwards and Microsoft even later. Now I don't deny that there have been great games from the PS2 and Xbox (XB 1 and 2) but, it seems that if Sony and Microsoft don't think of something new (or rip something off of Nintendo like they've been doing) then their consoles will eventually decline and Nintendo will always be on top.
Your point about their sales and marketing experience contributing to their success over the others doesnt fit in with how they did on gamecube sales. Also, if they rip off something from nintendo and vastly improve it, I have no problem with that. I welcome Nintendo to try and copy and improve upon the success of XBL for online playing. Companies stealing ideas from each other and improving them only makes it better for us (i.e., Brawl stole the replay / clip sharing feature from Halo 3, and I'm extremely happy they did). Of course if you try to allign yourself with one company and ignore all others you might not like that.

Nintendo has shown the ONLY willingness to try new things and all Sony and Microsoft do is buff their specs and make them into Media players (which you don't really need if you can afford their console since people will already have a DVD player or a computer).
Nothing new? Microsoft has created the best online gaming system by a long shot.Xbox live is incredibly well done. The friends list, gamerscores, features, voice chat, matchmaking, etc all make it very easy to connect and play with your friends and meet new people. It's also nice to be able to download new game trailers / demo's of upcoming games, not to mention all the old arcade classics on there that nintendo has abondoned (Castlevania, Doom, Contra, etc). You can even rent movies or TV shows through XBL. The only thing nintendo has brought to the table is motion control, and while I really enjoyed it first, it seems to be nothing more than a gimmick now. Wii Sports seemed to show that the motion control had limitless possibilities, but it's becoming more and more apparant that Wii Sports is pretty much as good as it gets in terms of motion control (and even that gets boring after a few hours).

The problem with motion control in a real game is that it's just plain inconsistant. Twilight Princess motion controls were stupid, they diden't add in any depth or immersion to the game. Shaking your remote back and forth to do your 3 hit combo is no different than tapping A, except it's more likely to not detect it properly. Certain technique's in that game were simply annoying to do (e.g. shield bash) with the wii mote. I'm looking forward to Mario Galaxy, but I'm sure the motion controls will get annoying. Metroid did a pretty good job, but it dident do anything better than a normal controller. The fact that the best game for the Wii (Brawl) will mainly use classic control schemes supports this stance even more.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Sony and Microsoft will ultimately prevail in this. Casual gamers are still interested in true console gaming, while the Wii has attracted people that aren't gamers whatsoever with all the hype surrounding it. I'd like to see some comparisons in game sales.

All you'll have left of the Sony/Microsoft fanbase is the hardcore gamers and people don't live forever so the hardcore gamers will fade away with time. Getting new fans all the time (which is what Nintendo is doing) by trying to appeal to everyone as a whole and making games casual gamer-friendly will always attract new customers.
I dissagree, there are plenty of casual gamers that prefer classic gaming style. Also, it seems the number of hardcore gamers is vastly growing, just look at MLG as one example, tons of competitive players. Theres an entire gaming tv channel, and tons of gaming websites/forums are booming. the hardcore mass is only growing.

I worked in a lan center for about a year, and the most popular systems were easily the 360 and the PS3, even for people that had no idea what they were doing or how to play games. The system most people were excited about was the Wii, and they were usualy really eager to try it. But alas, 95% of the time they would mess with the motion control for 10 minutes then move on to another console stating it was too hard or annoying. The only game anyone played longer than 10 minutes was Wii Sports.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Microsoft has America at it's fingertips with Nintendo trying to figure out how to wedge in their somehow.
Not true, Nintendo has constantly outsold the 360 and PS3 in month to month sales everywhere.

No. If they could have they would have done it. Fact is it actually takes a lot to put together a game with good motion sensing, 3rd party companies are just starting to realize that and even Nintendo hasnt perfected it. There's a lot of room to grow here. Also, there's more to wii's success than motion sensing.

@Crimson
I see nothing of remote value from the Wii right and MS is sitting good. In short, to make ANY claims about any company having won already is baseless and stupid.
If you see nothing of value then you should keep looking. There is a solid gaming system with a very reasonable price. Also, the wii has had the largest rise in sales in video gaming history. It may not be correct to say Nintendo has won yet, but it's close enough.
Unfortunately you're eventually going to have to come to terms with the harsh reality that motion sensing isnt a fad. You might also want to inform yourself on how it works, motion sensing doesnt always require flailing (in fact it never has to, people only flail if theyd like to) and can often times make the process of gaming much easier and relaxing. See: zack and wiki, monkey ball, mercury meltdown revolution, and brain age. The thing about motion sensing, it's much more intuitive if you simply go with natural motions which arguably makes things more fun, but you can easily learn to play the same games with simple wrist motion, which often times can be simpler than associating buttons with onscreen actions and still be more immersive. The biggest problems come with making sure the motion sensing is not flawed.
The biggest issues I have with the Wii is what is it going to do in 4 years? Technology is increasing at a hyper fast rate. How will a console with no Hard Drive, no HD capabilities, and rapidly limited disc space keep up when the generation hits it's peak and we start getting amazing cross platform games. Will the Wii get no more ports or be left with horrible watered down ports that use the motion sensor to distract the gamer?
By the time it comes to the point where the wii can't keep up with the technical powers of the other systems, it will be ready to come out with a new system. You're right, 360 and PS3 are heavily invested in this generation, my guess is they will be stuck in the seventh generation much longer than consoles have been expected to last in previous generations. This is because they need to do this to make a profit, right now theyre losing money and it will take years and years for them to make it back up. Nintendo however is already making profit, and can be ready to make the jump to the next generation whenever the designs and whatever new technology they may add becomes available, while 360 and PS3 are stuck here until they can make a reasonable profit.

Also, nintendo isnt lacking a harddrive, it optionally chose for flash memory, far superior and definitely the future of consoles.

That's pretty much the definition of a fad. Will it be long term sales ala the PS2 or will it be a quick burst for now, one games become the focus and they, hopefully steer away from their mini-game focus as of late. Time will tell.
As I said, the wii has had the quickest sales of any new console in gaming history. That's not a fad, that's a milestone. Also, the 360's games sucked it's first year, just like the PS3's and wii's sort of do now. Shoot, the combination of all 360 games in 2006 almost lost the GOTY title to a launch title gamecube port for the wii (twilight princess). If not for Gears of War, which came out just in time at the end of the year, this would have been a major embarassment for the 360. Better games come out for systems later.
I also meant everything about the Wii was so gimmicky. The motion sensing is neat for a while, but I thought it made Madden so lame and so much harder than it should have been.
Once again, this is a new concept. It is going to improve.

--------------------------------------------
@ Crom:

I dissagree, there are plenty of casual gamers that prefer classic gaming style.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Sony and Microsoft will ultimately prevail in this. Casual gamers are still interested in true console gaming, while the Wii has attracted people that aren't gamers whatsoever with all the hype surrounding it.
Casual gamers were never interested in console gaming, hence the title casual gamer.
Otherwise that pretty much defeats the purpose of calling them casual gamers.
Also, it seems the number of hardcore gamers is vastly growing, just look at MLG as one example, tons of competitive players. Theres an entire gaming tv channel, and tons of gaming websites/forums are booming. the hardcore mass is only growing.
Sorry, but by now it's already reached it's limit as far as drawing in hardcore gamers can go. The only way to change this is by attracting casual gamers first and hoping they convert. MS and Sony don't have the strategy to do this.
I worked in a lan center for about a year, and the most popular systems were easily the 360 and the PS3, even for people that had no idea what they were doing or how to play games. The system most people were excited about was the Wii, and they were usualy really eager to try it. But alas, 95% of the time they would mess with the motion control for 10 minutes then move on to another console stating it was too hard or annoying. The only game anyone played longer than 10 minutes was Wii Sports.
Anecdotals...this really doesnt represent the gaming community at large.
Microsoft has created the best online gaming system by a long shot.
Yes, for hardcore gamers. But Nintendo has the casual online system won by a long shot. On top of that, virtual console has surpased that of the Xbox arcade in game quality and quantity (if critical reviews are to be believed)
Twilight Princess motion controls were stupid, they diden't add in any depth or immersion to the game. Shaking your remote back and forth to do your 3 hit combo is no different than tapping A, except it's more likely to not detect it properly. Certain technique's in that game were simply annoying to do (e.g. shield bash) with the wii mote.
Really? You don't think swinging a remote is a tad bit more similar to swinging a sword than tapping a button? I doubt few people would agree with you about it's lack of immersion. Going back to buttons for OoT just didn't feel the same. Also, you mde an interesting note about the quality of the motion sensing.
but it's becoming more and more apparant that Wii Sports is pretty much as good as it gets in terms of motion control
Here you're just absolutely wrong. Motion sensing in gaming can be improved, it's only recently become mainstream and has a ton of potential. You should have seen this with how much improved the motion sensing for MP3 over several launch title games were, if not then you're simply being ignorant. And the controls for MP3 was far above those of a conventional controller, and came second only to the traditional mouse and keyboard (something which MoHH2 intends to surpass). Pushing a button, however, has reached its limit.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion

I also meant everything about the Wii was so gimmicky. The motion sensing is neat for a while, but I thought it made Madden so lame and so much harder than it should have been. Also, arthritis kills the Wii for me for long periods of time which shows they didn't think of everyone when designing it. All they would have had to do was make a normal controller along side of it and I would have been good to go. Now myself, along with anyone else who has Tendinitis, RMS, or anything else that afflicts their arm movement is left out.

But I hear what you're saying. More Wii games should support the classic controller. As time goes on, I suspect that games that don't benefit from motion control simply won't use the - much like touch control on DS.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
If you see nothing of value then you should keep looking. There is a solid gaming system with a very reasonable price. Also, the wii has had the largest rise in sales in video gaming history. It may not be correct to say Nintendo has won yet, but it's close enough.
There are just no games that I would play. And it is not close enough to declare them the winner. They had a good first year, and it's not even been a full year. By that definition, 360 won already.

Also, nintendo isnt lacking a harddrive, it optionally chose for flash memory, far superior and definitely the future of consoles.
Flash memory is not the future of consoles. The PS3 has had demos bigger than some flash memory cards. Computers have BEEN using Hard Drives for games in order to increase load times for years. If anything, Flash memory is the past (memory cards started with PS1/N64 era) and Hard drives are the present.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
There are just no games that I would play. And it is not close enough to declare them the winner. They had a good first year, and it's not even been a full year. By that definition, 360 won already.
Ok, that doesnt mean there's nothing of value. That just means you don't like the games for the system. I didn't say it was close enough to declaring the winner, I said it was close enough to be the winner. 360 simply won't win in sales. Without japan, you can't possibly ever hope to win that way. The same goes for Sony and the US. In addition to this, the Wii is doing better than the 360 in the US, and the PS3 in Japan, where each of those consoles should at least be in a tie for first if not in first if they hope to win sales wise. Instead, theyre doing abysmal in an area they need to be doing ok in, and doing ok in an area they should be doing amazing in. The task of them changing opinion is both markets and the wii losing it's share in both markets is very slim. And I havent even brought in PAL, which is also wii land. So yes, it is possible that one or the other consoles may turn things around, but it's very unlikely. And so I repeat, while you can't declare wii the winner yet, it's almost as good as saying they are.

Flash memory is not the future of consoles. The PS3 has had demos bigger than some flash memory cards.
PS3 has had bigger demos than some hard drives too. The statement made no sense.
Computers have BEEN using Hard Drives for games in order to increase load times for years. If anything, Flash memory is the past (memory cards started with PS1/N64 era) and Hard drives are the present.
Trying to compare memory cards to internal flash memory is full of lol's. Of course consoles are going to be moving to flash memory, and as the market for flash memory grows it will start replacing them in computers as well (though that's a long way off). Why do you think MP3 players and smart phones have been ditching their hard drives for flash? Flash memory is quicker, quiter, consumes less power, is more reliable, and less fragile (physically). Who wouldnt want a system with quicker load times, less noise, easier on the electric bill, less prone to malfunctioning and overheating, and harder to break from a fall or whatnot? The only downside to flash memory currently is the price. In fact Miyamato said the wii was supposed to cost less than $100, but they decided to add flash memory instead (i'm assuming he meant instead of memory cards). Anyways, I prefer a sturdy , quick and quite console. Makes it less likely I'll have to buy another one in 4 or 5 years (i.e. PS2).
Lolled at "Flash memory is the future of consoles and is superior to hard drives" comment.
This is because you are ignorant of what the differences between the two are.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If Flash is better, why can the Wii store less than a PS3 or a 360 with an "insignificant" harddrive?

Tagxy

Smash Lord
It's not insignicant. The argument for flash is a quality versus quantity argument. Flash is definitely better quality, but you obviously can't make a 40 gig hard drive out of it (yet) without it being ridiculously expensive. However, I don't see why, for possibly the next generation of consoles, a flash memory drive couldnt be 4 or 8 gigs. That's what ipod Nano's and iphones are, and theyre flash memory. I honestly don't see the point to anything more than 20 gigs for a console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom