• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Console Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well, Sony was sued for the rumble feature, as was Microsoft, and both have since got around it.

I am sure they could get around this with ease.

MaDWaK

Smash Journeyman
"Why buy a Wii when you can duct tape a remote control to the Gamecube and get the same result?"

I just heard this very very true question from another forum.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
"Why buy a Wii when you can duct tape a remote control to the Gamecube and get the same result?"

I just heard this very very true question from another forum.
I don't agree, you can't play any Wii games. And what would be the point of taping a remote control to the Gamecube?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The joke was there were no Wii games.

As stated in this topic, I think, the Wii has no worthwhile games that are made for the Wii. RE4, TP, and even SPM are all games designed or even appeared on the GCN and were remade for the the Wii.

Of course, once the fall comes all the consoles will have tons of games, so that point is invalid soon enough.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
OnyxVulpine: I love how the guys suing want Sony to collect every PS3 and bin them. As if that's ever going to happen.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
There is a ruling for that. Usually when a plaintiff wants either an exorbitant sum or just plain unusual from the defendant, the judge usually, if he rules in favor of the plaintiff, will minimize his request to something fair.

It's been a couple of years since the PS3 ANNOUNCED the Cell Processor and NOW they want to sue for patent infringement? Interesting indeed. I'll have to keep up on this one.

_kSo_

Smash Master
PS3 went down the tubes, and xbox 360 is all right imo (mainly kuz i dont like xbox games) but the wii was by far the best choice to go as far as new consoole goes. I think that they are limited on games but they ahve much more potential as well as a larger possibility of games with the new wiimote technology

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
The joke was there were no Wii games.

As stated in this topic, I think, the Wii has no worthwhile games that are made for the Wii. RE4, TP, and even SPM are all games designed or even appeared on the GCN and were remade for the the Wii.

Of course, once the fall comes all the consoles will have tons of games, so that point is invalid soon enough.
At first when I read that quote, I was like "wtf, the Wii has lots of good games. It's the PS3 that's lacking in software". But then I read your description about how there are very few Wii specific games. Ones that are ground up for the Wii. And I think i agree.

It does bother me how only relatively few developers really get how to make a good Wii game. A good deal of them are just typical games, with motion sensing thrown in as an afterthought. Or worse, Gamecube games essentially ported to Wii.

What makes the DS so interesting is that there are games that simply could not be made on any other system for it. My girlfriend and I play Brain Age regularly, and I can't imagine how the mechanics of that game could exist without the functionality that the DS offers specifically.

The Wii needs more games that could not be accomplished on any other system. Much like Wii Sports, and perhaps something like Elebits.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It's been a couple of years since the PS3 ANNOUNCED the Cell Processor and NOW they want to sue for patent infringement?
Well they can't sue them before they infringe the patent and I guess they waited so long so then they can claim that they've lost <large sum> instead of <Small sum >

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The problem with the Wii, and too a much lesser extent, the DS, is that most of the GOOD games for it, that were ported over from the GCN, are Nintendo titles.

This is all well and good as Nintendo has tons of ideas that will make amazing games. However, it third party developers are almost too afraid to make a game right now in fear that it won't be a success, ala Red Steel. With the controller, many developers aren't used to developing for it and thusly are to afraid to try the risk. So all that is left is either mini-game compilations or rehashes. Also hurting the Wii is the hardware. With DVDs over HD media format that force developers that wish to put a game on it to redo their entire design of the game and compress it. Add the lack of hard drive, and many games can't have extra content that comes with HD.

As for PS3 not having any titles, or being down and out, that's just ignorant. With titles like Infamous, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Folklore, and MGS4 among others coming out in a few months, I see your point as quite invalid. (directed towards Kso)

Mic: Very valid point. But wasn't the cell processor devised by IBM, Sony, and some other huge company for the PS3? If that's the case then it seems they would have checked and double checked this. At the very least, Sony will have to pay royalties for the Cell Processor usage like Microsoft pays with the rumble feature AND with Bluetooth.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hah, yea. Red Steel could have been a decent game if only they had an option for you to turn up the sensitivity. Shame really.

I only recently have come out of the deep hollow pit that is Nintendo fanboyism. I love the big N., always have, always will. But there's some key things that they're just not offering in terms of my needs as a growing gamer. I've been really getting into the competitive smash scene lately, and since Melee is on it's way out I'm looking to replace it with one or more games to play competitively.

Microsoft certainly understands that need, Halo 3 is looking to be just about the pinnacle of what you could ask for in a competitive online title. I don't currently own a 360 though. If the price drop rumors come true, then I'll buy it for sure. If the drop doesn't happen, then I'm a bit undecided. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position, which leads me to believe it would be a smart move for MS to do.

Sandy

Smash Champion
What matters in the console war is not necessarily which system is "best", as determined by processor capacity, graphics, speed, price, etc., but which sells most, sells fastest, and has the greatest potential for growth. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo aren't trying to produce the most advanced gaming system possible, a true work of art that they can be proud of no matter how popular it is; they're trying to make a profit, and they don't really care all that much how they do it. Graphics, processor power, ease of use, and vaguely-defined "innovation" are, of course, important, but only as a way to make money; if they can be dispensed with without hurting profits, then they will be.

By that metric, then, the results (or, rather, the trends) of the console wars are pretty clear; the XBox360 is currently winning the war, with a clear advantage in units sold over the Wii (and a huge advantage over the PS3.) It has a great library of games, with more on the horizon, and is selling fairly steadily.

The Wii, however, is selling a good deal more rapidly than the 360 is (and may even be drawing in new gamers, which, if true, would give it a massive advantage), and its controller, while admittedly a bit eccentric, has lots of potential, and it has certainly shown itself to be good at selling the system; how else can one explain the numbers of people who have invested in an underpowered, Gamecube 1.5 whose power pales in comparison to the competition?

And the PS3? Well...at the moment, it's floundering behind the two other system. It could still pull ahead, but that would require a large price reduction and a better library, and its late start might still be too much for it to overcome. Still, stranger things have happened.

All in all, for now at least the 360 is winning, followed by the Wii and then the PS3. However, if all three systems continue selling at about the same rate that they're selling now (granted, a big assumption), I think that it would be fairly safe to say that twelve, eighteen, maybe twenty-four months from now, Wii will be the most successful, followed by the 360 and PS3.

Of course, a lot of things could change in that time span; the 360 could get a number of must-have games, or Nintendo could grow too complacent and fail to stoke the fire of their success, or Sony could discover a new manufacturing technique that dramatically lowers the cost of Blu-ray discs. Anything could, of course, happen, but as none of it has happened yet all we have to go on is what we know now.

And as a caveat, Yes, I am biased towards Nintendo. However, I tried not to let that bias cloud my judgement when writing this. I may have failed, of course, but I did my best.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
The Console Wars isn't just about number of units sold. If that were the case we should just shut down discussion and have an up-to-date tally of each system on page one. What everyone is talking in this topic about is which system they prefer and why. Also the pros and cons to each system. Anyone can go and look up the sales numbers anytime they want.

You say you are biased toward Nintendo. Why? What draws you toward them in a way that the other two don't?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
This is all well and good as Nintendo has tons of ideas that will make amazing games. However, it third party developers are almost too afraid to make a game right now in fear that it won't be a success, ala Red Steel.
With the Wii's success 3rd parties are no longer afraid of making a buck because they can always release
either mini-game compilations or rehashes.

Also hurting the Wii is the hardware. With DVDs over HD media format that force developers that wish to put a game on it to redo their entire design of the game and compress it. Add the lack of hard drive, and many games can't have extra content that comes with HD.
That sucks but it while it hurts the Wiis library it certain aspects as long as it doesn't hurt profits Nintendo won't mind. Right now the Wii has the largest amount of exclusives, the thing is while third parties are finally coming back to Nintendo they only thing they seem do to is aim towards a certain crowd.

Konami brings exclusives to the Wii in the from of Elebits and Deweys Adventure. EA announces a studio specifically for Wii games. Their first Wii game? Groove, advertised with a song from the movie Grease it's obvious who the target audience is.

Rockstar is now supporting the Wii too. Is GTA coming to Wii? Nope, the're porting over Table Tennis.

The Wii is still in it's first year so things can always change and hopefully will but as of now the direction developers are taking is midly depressing.

edit: @AltWarrior, don't expect an answer from SandTiger on the level of what he just wrote as I'm certain he did not write that but copy/pasted it from another site.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
That is a big mistake EVERYONE is making. The Wii, unlike the GCN, had a TON of coverage and innovation backing it. It had just as mediocre, if not even worse, of a launch as the GCN (GCN had Melee at launch, didn't it?) but people are backing it because it's easy to do when more people have heard of it. Sony had a MUCH better launch with the PS3 than the PS2. The best game for PS2 launch was Summoner and it was bad. The best game for PS3 launch is Resistance and it was easily a game of the year contender.

The fact is the Wii and the PS3 haven't even been out for a year. We have seen maybe 5% of their true potential. GTA 3 didn't come out until about a year after the PS2s release (almost to the day) and it ended up being a HUGE console seller with little to no hype. For ANYONE to declare that "this system is gonna win" right now is quite foolish. A LOT can happen between now and October, but less now and the end of this console generation. Also, with the exception of the Wii, this war has been VERY hardware driven which, as hardware gets better and better, console lift cycles will fluctuate. The Cell Process will extend the PS3's life expectancy, but the advent of downloadable HD content will severely limit the hard drive life expectancy.

Fact is there is no possible way to decide who will win it all now, so stop trying and enjoy as the fight for supremacy.

To Chill: *BOOM* Headshot!

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Crimson King said:
That is a big mistake EVERYONE is making. The Wii, unlike the GCN, had a TON of coverage and innovation backing it. It had just as mediocre, if not even worse, of a launch as the GCN (GCN had Melee at launch, didn't it?) but people are backing it because it's easy to do when more people have heard of it. Sony had a MUCH better launch with the PS3 than the PS2. The best game for PS2 launch was Summoner and it was bad. The best game for PS3 launch is Resistance and it was easily a game of the year contender.
Are you a PS3 fanboy? CK, I'd imagine more logical thoguhts from you!

The GCN had just as much publicity as the Wii had. The GCN though, was purple. And it had a handle. It was made fun of, hated, and called kiddy. Though the GCN wasn't very innovative, it was still more powerful than the PS2. The GCN didn't have SSBM. It had Luigi's Mansion. The GCN's launch sucked.

And the PS3 did NOT have a better launch than the PS2. The PS2 was the first console of the new generation. Not only that, but it was out by itself for a while. And it has SSX. And no one got shot.

Meh. That was a bit Nintendo fanboy drivin by me... But seriously.

Wii's won this time around. PS3 and Xbox360 are better consoles. But the odds of anyone buying both consoles is stupid. Most gamers will have a Wii, coupled with one "hardcore" system.

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure the XBox 360 and the PS3 are better consoles than the Wii but simply due to the cheap cost and the innovation that has attracted many non-gamers to get a Wii, I think Nintendo gets a big A+ stamp.
I have always regarded X Box and PS as consoles for really experienced gamers. I'm not saying experienced gamers avoid the Wii but Nintendo has always strove to develop the fun and enjoyable experiences of gaming.
Frankly when all the uber nintendo games (SSBB, Metroid Prime Corruption and Super Mario Galaxy) come out, both the XBox 360 and the PS3 will suffer a lot.
Overall though comparing a PS3, XBox 360 and Wii is incredibly difficult but it seems as though nintendo might just win this round.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Wii will only stay ahead because it's attracting people that play those things like Wiisports and WiiFit. They'll keep doing that and eventually slow down things like MP, SSB, and SM [Super Mario]. But then again, those games come out so rarely that if they slow them down anymore they'll disappear.

Xbox and PS3 have far more 3rd party support, they get so many games that you actually have a choice in terms of what games you want to play. Look at the Wii, everyone is getting the same things. I'm going to look in my EGM and see what games were reviewed, get their scores and tell you whether or now I'd buy it. I know that last part doesn't make a difference but it'll show where I stand.

Here we go:

A List of Wii games Reviewed by EGM Before I post them, the scores also don't matter 100%, but it's a decent approximation.

Mortal Kombat: Armageddon - 6.5, 5.0, 5.5 - I wouldn't get this, I hate MK and always have.

Mario Party 8 - 5.5, 7.5, 6.0 - I wouldn't get this either, I'd be happy with just MP4

Resident Evil 4 - 8.0, 9.0, 9.0 - I would get this, the score the GC verison of RE4 was a little higher, but I guess this one had some flaws the GC didn't have.

Escape from Bug Island - 2.0, 1.5, 4.5 - I wouldn't even consider this a game, I've never seen it before and I hope I never see it again.

Kororinpa: Marble Mania - 7.5, 7.0, 7.5 -I wouldn't buy this, I don't like many minigame games.

Sonic and the Secret Rings - 7.5, 6.0, 6.0 -I would think about it, maybe if I had money lying around but there are other games worth buying more.

SSX Blur: 5.5, 4.5, 6.5 - I love SSX but I wouldn't get this, the controls were the selling point and the reviewers didn't like them one bit, they described them as 'erratic', 'bunk' and 'baffling'. Not something I'd want to hear about a game I want to buy.

Wing Island: 3.0, 4.0, 4.0 - I wouldn't get this, it looks ********.

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz: 6.0, 6.5, 7.0- I wouldn't get this, it's another minigame game type game, they get boring pretty fast.

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2: 7.0, 6.5, 7.0 - I looks fun, control schemes are optional, I would definitely buy this.

Super Paper Mario: 8.0, 9.0, 9.0 - I'd get this, it's not like there's anything else worth getting anyway.

Cooking Mama: Cook-off - 7.0, 8.0, 8.0- Wtf? I wouldn't buy this, it likes like it WiiCook with a bunch of baby toy rejects.

I think I've made my point now, here's the list of games that survived:
RE4
Sonic [maybe]
DBZ
SPM

4 out of 12. Not bad but most of the games there weren't worth looking at.

Right now I'm not even thinking about Nintendo's line-up after the big 3 because just like with the GCN there's going to be nothing to play but PS2 ports and a few diamonds in the rough.

bored

Smash Ace
IMO the Wii is more novelty.. it might be at a good start.. But I sure as hell know PS3 can pull ahead..

Salaad

Smash Ace
I don't know how people can say Nintendo barely has any games..Twilight Princess(On GC too but w/e), RedSteel, Mario Strikers: Charged, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy, SSBB, Battalion Wars II, Resident Evil, Mario Party, Mario Kart Wii, Animal Crossing (Not confirmed but we know it's comming). You can't really say who "Wins" though..Because in the end, it's the gamer that bought the system they wanted.

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
Way too many people claiming to be "market analysts" in here (or at least claiming future predictions backed by...no evidence). I'll leave the predictions up to you guys but here's some raw data for you guys to spin around.

Gamecube:
(as of 6/30/07)
Total sales: 21.63 million consoles
America: 12.84 million consoles
Japan: 4.02 million consoles
Other: 4.76 million consoles

X-Box:
Total Sales: Over 24 million consoles
(note Microsoft has claimed over $4 billion in losses as a result of X-Box sales)

PS2:
(as of 5/30/07)
Total Sales: 120.10 million consoles
United States: 37.1 million consoles
Opening Weekend in Japan: 900,000 consoles
PS2 is quite clearly the winner here.

Nintendo Wii
Opening weekend in Japan: 370,000 consoles
Opening weekend in Europe: 325,000 consoles
Opening week in US: 600,000 consoles
Current Figures
(as of 6/30/07)
Total Sales: 9.27 million consoles
Japan: 2.95 million consoles
Europe: 2 million consoles
America: 3.81 million consoles
*note that Nintendo overshot projected sales, leading to a shortage of Wii's worldwide

X-Box 360
Opening week in US: 200,000 consoles
Opening 6 months in US: 900,000 consoles
Opening 6 months in Europe: 500,000 consoles
Opening 6 months in Japan: 100,000 consoles
(as of 7/30/07)
Total Sales: 11.6 million consoles
America: 5.4 million consoles
Japan: 420,000 consoles
*note that Microsoft failed to reach projected target sales three times, first set at 1.5 million for 2 months, second at 15 million which was lowered to 12 million (third) by the end of 2006

PS3
Opening weekend in Europe: 600,000 consoles
Opening weekend in Japan: Varied reports, from 82,000-100,000 consoles
Opening sales in US: Can't find :p sry
(as of 7/23/07)
Total Sales: 4.48 million consoles
Japan: 1 million consoles
America: 1.5 million consoles
Europe: 1.2 million consoles
*note that in the 2007 year, PS3 has been continuously outsold by the Wii (4-6.5:1) and by the X-Box 360 (2:1)

Some interesting tidbits: PS3 is actually doing surprisingly well in Europe, with opening sales surpassing other consoles in almost every region. Wii has the highest rate of sales per unit of time than all three next gen consoles. All three next-gen consoles have paled in comparison to the success rate of the PS2, in fact in the month of May PS2 sales actually outstripped both PS3 (oh the irony) and X-Box 360 sales, only closely behind the Wii.

Personal Opinion:
I think that the winner (and by winner I mean console with the greatest sales, by no means do I believe the other two consoles will "die out") of the next-gen competition is the Wii. It was much more difficult to make projections before the Big Three were released, but looking at current rates I would say that the momentum of the Wii (due to its largely innovative design and target broader audience) coupled with their new stance towards third-party games will drive the success of the Wii. A lot of users have already stated that the staples of the Nintendo system (Mario, Zelda, SSB, etc) have kept it alive as a competitor, and I feel that opening up to third-party designers will allow Nintendo to expand beyond these games and ensure a long-term success with the new system.
The X-Box 360 is a solid all-around system, I don't believe it will be able to match the Wii in the future nor do I believe that it will eventually flop out in the long run. Short-term wise, X-Box 360 is guaranteed success with the upcoming launch of Halo 3 (Halo 2 grossed over $500 million on its release date, to put that into retrospect the highest grossing movie in a weekend was Spiderman 3 at around $150 million). The question really lies in whether X-Box 360 has the ability to sustain itself after the Halo hype ends. My opinion: yes. The lineup of higher quality games such as Bioshock, Devil May Cry 4, Silent Hill 5, Guitar Hero 3, Rock Band, FEAR, Soul Caliber IV, etc shows that the system still has developers and (more importantly) fans working with the system.
The Playstation 3, considered by many to be the great flop of the next-gen consoles (including me, at first); how bad is it actually doing? To be certain, its sales pale in comparison with the success of the Wii but it has a better success rate per unit of time than the opening release of the X-Box 360. Its performance compared to the last generation of consoles has a higher rate of success than the opening release of the Gamecube and the X-Box. I think critics are a little too harsh on the PS3 in light of its inevitable comparisons to the rival Wii, and while I don't think it'll ever quite catch up to Nintendo in this generation I don't think there's even a slight chance of it going the way of the Dreamcast. PS3 will still derive huge momentum simply from the fanbase generated from PS1 and PS2. I don't think it will be a coincidence when PS3 gains a sudden (please note, not huge) increase in sales as Metal Gear Solid 4 is released, same with Devil May Cry 4, Rock Band, Guitar Hero 3, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War 3, Soul Caliber 4, and the list goes on and on.
As for the gamers, I think we're just getting the better end of the deal here. Sure, consoles are more expensive than they were in the last generation but the game quality is increasing (which I take for granted) and more importantly our game selection is diversifying with more and more third-parties taking the route of multi-console games and Nintendo's embrace of outside game developers - the better for us.
PS-If you want a list of sources I'll post em.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I don't know how people can say Nintendo barely has any games..Twilight Princess(On GC too but w/e), RedSteel, Mario Strikers: Charged, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy, SSBB, Battalion Wars II, Resident Evil, Mario Party, Mario Kart Wii, Animal Crossing (Not confirmed but we know it's comming).
That's all? Most of those are made by Nintendo. Where's the other stuff that doesn't have that 'Nintendo feel' to it? Correct me if I'm wrong but most of those games you mentioned have been done at least twice before. It doesn't make them any worse but once in a while it's time for a change, time for some fresh air. PS3 is getting Haze, a FPS that actually looks more promising than today's crap [Halo isn't crap imo], Xbox 360 and PS3 are getting Army of Two, a FPS[?] that involves teamwork instead of [dare I say it?] an army of one shooting up everything.

It's so bad that PS3 and Xbox get Soulcalibur 4 and Wii gets Soulcalibur some crappy name I can't remember. I don't believe Nintendo will ever have 3rd party support [which leads to a better variety of games, which is my point] as strong as MS or Sony, and you're only fooling yourself if you think they are anywhere close.

EDIT: I almost forgot to reply to you Head. I agree with you, Wii will probably win by the terms you mentioned, I think that is because Nintendo is aiming for a wider audience. I'm worried about Nintendo becoming stupid and just supporting wider audiences and forgetting about the people that had to live with the ridicule of being a "nintendo fanboy".

I admit I was one, unlike a couple years ago when it finally hit me, being a fanboy and devoting ones self to one company is stupid, it makes you ignorant, so I got me a PS2 and enjoyed being a gamer instead of a fanboy.

I can only hope that I'm wrong and that they still bring out games for the hardcore gamers [the people who like to play the game at least twice through, not pros, just to be clear] so we don't regret buying a Wii.

Salaad

Smash Ace
That's all? Most of those are made by Nintendo. Where's the other stuff that doesn't have that 'Nintendo feel' to it? Correct me if I'm wrong but most of those games you mentioned have been done at least twice before. It doesn't make them any worse but once in a while it's time for a change, time for some fresh air. PS3 is getting Haze, a FPS that actually looks more promising than today's crap [Halo isn't crap imo], Xbox 360 and PS3 are getting Army of Two, a FPS[?] that involves teamwork instead of [dare I say it?] an army of one shooting up everything.

It's so bad that PS3 and Xbox get Soulcalibur 4 and Wii gets Soulcalibur some crappy name I can't remember. I don't believe Nintendo will ever have 3rd party support [which leads to a better variety of games, which is my point] as strong as MS or Sony, and you're only fooling yourself if you think they are anywhere close.
You've got it the wrong way around. Nintendo is (starting) to get a lot of 3rd party support. The 3rd party developers have seen the Wii's sucess, and are now creating more games for the Wii. FPS's aren't life. I can't consistently play FPS's, I get too bored of them too soon. Since the Wii is getting 3rd party support, this might mean more FPS's. I have to say, nothing feels better than sniping someone across the map with a Wiimote. You have to try it. Yes, Nintendo will have a variety of games.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I've seen the 3rd party support, and I hope they actually start giving real support because every month I see some PS2 port with tacked on wiimote controls *cough* Prince of Persia**cough* that wasn't good and is just a quick way for lazy developers to make a quick buck of the Wii's success.

And yes I know FPS' aren't everything, but I'd rather not mention games I'm uncertain about [Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Lair etc.] and summer is incredibly crappy in terms of game releases and updates.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I've seen the 3rd party support, and I hope they actually start giving real support because every month I see some PS2 port with tacked on wiimote controls *cough* Prince of Persia**cough* that wasn't good and is just a quick way for lazy developers to make a quick buck of the Wii's success.

And yes I know FPS' aren't everything, but I'd rather not mention games I'm uncertain about [Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Lair etc.] and summer is incredibly crappy in terms of game releases and updates.
The first year is always going to be ports to other systems. It happened when the gcube and PS2 came out, it's going to happen again for the first year. You know why they created these ports? One, they were lazy, but two they were testing the waters, to see if people would actually buy there games with added controls. Why put alot of money into a game, and you have no idea on how it will sell.

It's way too early to call the battle right now, but I would give Xbox 360 the advantage, then Wii, than PS3. Xbox 360 already has a solid line-up, and continues to build on it.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Yes, Nintendo's third party support is terrible. However, it says something for the quality of Nintendo's first party offerings that I bought their console anyway.

I'm sort of regretting it right now, but I'm sure I won't be when the next Zelda or Metroid Prime comes out. Still, I'd appreciate a few more games I actually want to play while I'm waiting for those.

Why are you uncertain about Mass Effect?

Bioware's track record is absolute gold. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was considered one of the best games of the last generation by a lot of people, and Jade Empire mostly received glowing reviews. Before that, Bioware was only games for the PC, such as Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. I heard good things about those, too.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Mass Effect more than any other game on any console.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I meant I was uncertain of the genre, I think it's a RPG or something like that, I have an issue of EGM where they did a cover story on it but that was a while ago.

I know Blue dragon is an RPG, not sure if it's turn based or action, I think it's turn based. And last I heard of Lair they were scraping the six axis control for more traditional control.

Oops, got a little side tracked there, I don't remember much about the ME cover story but I remember thinking it would make a big splash. I never got into PC gaming so I don't know how good Bioware is, I've heard they're very good and you just reconfirmed that so I'll take your word for it. KOTOR and JE were two games I planned to buy if I got a Xbox so that must count for something.

My thoughts seem to be wandering [it's 2:30am =0] so I'll stop =/

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
You've got it the wrong way around. Nintendo is (starting) to get a lot of 3rd party support. The 3rd party developers have seen the Wii's sucess, and are now creating more games for the Wii. FPS's aren't life. I can't consistently play FPS's, I get too bored of them too soon. Since the Wii is getting 3rd party support, this might mean more FPS's. I have to say, nothing feels better than sniping someone across the map with a Wiimote. You have to try it. Yes, Nintendo will have a variety of games.
Actually, Nintendo paved the way for outside developers. They released specs and coding outlines to developers prior to the launch of the Wii, something they've never done before. And yes, more 3rd party developers are flocking to the Wii but it was Nintendo that made the first move. Its a matter of semantics really, but from a gamer's perspective what's not to like about EA, Capcom, Sqenix, Nexon, Konami, and Sega developing for the Wii? :p

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Actually, Nintendo paved the way for outside developers. They released specs and coding outlines to developers prior to the launch of the Wii, something they've never done before.
Not to mention it's cheaper to develop for the Wii than the PSP.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
A List of Wii games Reviewed by EGM Before I post them, the scores also don't matter 100%, but it's a decent approximation.

Resident Evil 4 - 8.0, 9.0, 9.0 - I would get this, the score the GC verison of RE4 was a little higher, but I guess this one had some flaws the GC didn't have.

SSX Blur: 5.5, 4.5, 6.5 - I love SSX but I wouldn't get this, the controls were the selling point and the reviewers didn't like them one bit, they described them as 'erratic', 'bunk' and 'baffling'. Not something I'd want to hear about a game I want to buy.
Once you said "EGM", I knew the scores would be weird and lower than what everybody else game those games. EGM seems to suck at motion or something.

First of all, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition didn't get worse overall scores because of "some flaws the GC didn't have". It got a lower score because it was the fourth iteration of that game. When it came out for Cube, it was acclaimed by all. The Wii controls make that game better (which, after playing the Cube one, seemed pretty impossible). Whenever a game is re-released over and over, the score with worsen each time.

On to Blur. IGN gave that game an 8 something and an Editor's Choice award. They didn't find the controls hard at all; actually, to prove the other reviewers wrong about the game's controls being too difficult, IGN made of video of themselves doing a whole bunch of Uber-tricks in a minute or so.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
So 360 sales have remained steady for some time now, but today Microsoft announced the 3 SKUs will now be available at $280, $350 and $450. Personally I think that a $50 price drop for the Premium, on top of $20 and $30 drops for the Core and Elite isn't enough, especially after being out in the market for almost two years now, but I suppose a drop is a drop, and with GameStop and other retailers getting a bunch of posters to push the 360 because of the drop, it will do nothing but boost sales and people will be thinking "well, I can get a game now too." The blockbuster titles start to come out soon on the 360, too, starting with Bioshock on the 21st.

I really think it would've been wise for Microsoft to drop the Core 360 to $250 though to get it the same price as the Wii. Would make a drastic impact in sales.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
A $100 price drop would have been even more insane. A 360 for less than a wii?

That's one of my few complaints about Nintendo. I just love to see original games and it bothers me that the majority of the games Nintendo releases are the same series I've been playing since I was six. It's the only reason I'm getting another system.

The lack of new games is the reason that despite buying the gamecube before any other console last gen I ended up buying the other ones too. I just got bored with the same old stuff.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hooray for the 360 price drop. I was hoping for more than $50, but it's something. Pretty sure that I'm sold now. Just gonna wait for Halo 3. Also going to buy when they're released: Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Too Human, and much later down the road RE:5. Likely others too.

I think those games are enough to justify buying a 360.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I know you said you were waiting to pick one up till Halo 3 comes out but I'm going to push this into your head; don't cave in and buy one before mid-September. Supposedly late this month they'll be rolling out the 360s with the new 65nm CPUs, an additional heat-sink on top of the GPU and an HDMI port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom