• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Console Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Head of Sony Aus's opinions on Wii and 360.

"My only question for this Christmas on Wii is the price point," said Ephraim. "Even though it's affordable, at $400 plus whatever you need to buy accessories-wise, I'm guessing you need to spend about $500 to take home a Wii and enjoy it." That's probably true, but $400 plus $100 for a game isn't advanced mathematics.

"For this Christmas, I think that price point is still not family entertainment because $500 is a lot to fork out, but we welcome the Nintendo heritage of gaming where they can appeal to a broader audience because long-term that is critical for the industry," Ephraim said. Given the expected retail price of $999 for the high-end PS3 unit with no software, the Wii still seems to have a slight (that is, double) edge over the value of the PS3.

The Xbox 360 also copped a bit of abuse, based on target audiences. "I think their product offering is still not broad enough. The content is narrow and appeals only to a very core group,". Ephraim left it at that, despite the gaming public eager to hear more about the specifics of the narrow content and the demographics of the core group.

Continuing with the 360 - "It's still pricey, and I'm sure Microsoft will do everything they can, but if you just look at the offerings from each format and the marketplace that we are now playing in, especially PlayStation 2, it has to be affordable because we are talking about mass-market and non traditional gamers." The PS2 is still a major contender, which is selling strong and will continue to do so until well after the PS3 launch.

"We would have loved to have launched for Christmas. But based on our discussions with retailers, they are very keen and excited about a March launch because it gives us a period to communicate with our customers that is not cluttered....so in the long run, if you take a five-year or three or two-year view, it won't have any impact at all."
Can we all say hypocrite?

Oh, and also...

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
That's true for this quarter at least, largely due to Christmas:

Child: Mommy, I want the [insert name of console here, which tend to all sound the same to many parents if they don't already know the difference] for Christmas.

Parent speaking to his/her parent, who have even less of an idea: He/she wants the new video game system thingie.

Grandparent speaking to store employee: I want the new video game system thingie.
Employee: Which one?
Grandparent: Oh, um...
Employee: This one is 5 or $600 (grandparent almost chokes), this one is $250 and has cheaper games on average.
Grandparent: The 250 one!

Case closed. :p

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey, some First quarter sales data is in.

Nintendo recorded strong profits for the six months to September 2006 with a massive 72% gain in net profit on the same period last year to AU$601.4 million. Nintendo cited strong sales in the popular Nintendo DS and new software title "New Super Mario Bros." as contributing factors.
601.4 billion? No way they're going down if they keep earning amounts that large.

Oh and Sony?

Sony however are not so stellar. For the three months leading to September, Sony posted a loss of AU$230 million. The company cited delays in its PS3 release along with strong competition from Samsung and Matsu****a as well as the recall of more than 9 million notebook batteries. The company also cut full year forecasts of its PSP portable video game console from 12 million units to 9 million. The video games operation of the company is likely to see losses blow out to more than AU$2.2 billion.
What can one say but "ouch"

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
But Mic, that's Australian money. Most people don't count wealth in empty Foster's Lager cans.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Just run the ammount through a currency converter. It's still global profits.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
For this winter, I'd say that the order of money being made from the compeditors will be Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony in that order.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
For this winter, I'd say that the order of money being made from the compeditors will be Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony in that order.
Based on speculation and future prospects. Business 101 will tell you never predict more than 6 months in most industries and less in electronics.

Also, with Vista coming out PC gaming will get a new edge and possibly more gamers. Vista is speculated to add features to PC similar to X-Box Live.

It's a fluctuating market. Let all the consoles come out first, THEN give an accurate guess.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It's still early in development and usually doesn't occur until late in the cycle.

MS will make profits before Sony or Nintendo, but really it's all trival.

Most business strategist will just look at the sales figures and say how much they have raked in because most of us do not know the actual profits they make. It could be WAY less than they report or actually way more.

jaej

Smash Journeyman
This is my solely subjective opinion, because I rarely read the console news anymore, but I think that Microsoft won't do as well this holiday season with the 360 just because it's old news. The Wii and the PS3 are both new, with people rushing and doing everything that they can to get one. Although, there will be more 360's lying around in stores...hmm...

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Let's see, brand new consoles or a console with over 100 games out? I'd say the 360 is in fantastic shape for the holiday season, especially with big titles coming out starting next week with Gears of War.

Zink

Smash Champion
But most casuals aren't going to extensively research a console's library before buying- they'll want maybe one or two games to start off, and maybe one or two more on a list for the future. In that respect, they could go with the 360 and some games there or a Wii for TP, Red Steel, and/or Excite Truck.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Gamers don't need to research a console's library. They can just look at the wall and see that the 360 has more games than the other two.

Sensai

Smash Master
Gotta agree with Cashed here, actually. The 360's arsenal of games (while not my personal taste) is vast, and the new games coming out intrigue me enough to get one for myself.

I'm talking about Gears of War in the near future; Bioshock, Alan Wake, and Assassin's Creed in the long term; and Fable 2 in the 'god I hope it gets here' term.

Artistry

Smash Apprentice
I think the Wii will be the best bet. Most people(especially parents) would rather buy a $250 console than a $400 one. Especially if they have to pay for games after that. I don't know about you guys, but I really like the launch titles for the Wii. Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Excitetruck all get me kinda hot and bothered... I'm not saying that I wouldn't love to play Gears of War, but I simply don't have the cash, and Nintendo has always been the most reliable company. I really trust Nintendo, and I think a lot of other people do too. I think Nintendo is like Disney. If Disney does something, they're gonna do it right, or not do it at all. That's the way I feel Nintendo is.

(while I didn't read the WHOLE thread, I did read from page 48 to here...)

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think the Wii will be the best bet. Most people(especially parents) would rather buy a $250 console than a $400 one. Especially if they have to pay for games after that. I don't know about you guys, but I really like the launch titles for the Wii. Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Excitetruck all get me kinda hot and bothered... I'm not saying that I wouldn't love to play Gears of War, but I simply don't have the cash, and Nintendo has always been the most reliable company. I really trust Nintendo, and I think a lot of other people do too. I think Nintendo is like Disney. If Disney does something, they're gonna do it right, or not do it at all. That's the way I feel Nintendo is.

(while I didn't read the WHOLE thread, I did read from page 48 to here...)
Mario Galaxy isn't launch.

Zink

Smash Champion
Anyone read that article on the PS3 launch in Japan over in the Wii topic? Very sad. It appears few of the actual systems made it into gamers' hands.

linkapprentice

Smash Apprentice
Yep I read it and although I don't like the PS3 and what it has to offer I did feel some sympathy for the hardkorr gamers that didn't get their PS3 despite their best efforts to be in the queue as early as possible... Its a shame that sony doesn't listen to the consumers.

I think the PS3 since that event is going to be so sought after as the 'elusive' console. It'll get to a point where people won't buy any PS3 stuff anymore coz of its rarity.

Keep in mind that all the statements I made are subjective and opinionated, not wholly objective facts.

I really did like the Wii when I tried it at one of those demos in Oz and I must say it did bring a smile to my face - a fresh new way of playing games!

The whole parent - child thing about buying games is the most common arguement for a reason why people would choose a Wii over the other consoles. However, there are just about as many hardkorr gamers as there are children and I'm sure they won't buy a console over another just because its cheaper and has more interactivity etc. They pretty much stick to their No. 1 console (ie the PS3 for the Japanese gamers) due to the games that come out with it as well as its marketed image. Sure I have a friend who is getting a PS3 and has an XBOX 360. He's the stereotype of a hardcore gamer but he likes every console that has been out and played most game that were out for their respective consoles. However, the interesting thing is that he never plays nintendo exclusive games, with the exception of Pokemon games. He's played Final Fantasy, Halo, Gears of Wars, GTA and so many other mature games.

I'd doubt he'd get the Wii - no guts and gore and no old style shoot em ups...

OmniDistortion

Smash Cadet
I'd like to share what info I have now on what I've observed of the 3 consoles thus far. For the record I have a 360 and am camping out for a Wii which I am most excited for. I might get a PS3 if anything for a fancy Linux box to develop on and for possibly any exclusives.

Xbox360:
Advantages:
1. More great titles coming out faster this generation than the Xbox had.
2. Xbox Live netplay runs great even with little bandwidth use and headset talking between multiple players.
3. Achivements increase the overall replay value and make a player strive towards greater goals.
4. Has many special features such as USB devices can be used (I use my flash drive to play music on the 360 in games) and connectivity with Windows Media Player or Windows Vista.
5. Emulated support (albiet poor) of original Xbox.

Disadvantages:
1. Achievements are really just an alternate form of e-dickery. After a while most people realize some of it's bigger flaws (for example: easy gamer point farming from rented titles)
2. The connectivity with various programs via a network seem like a huge money scheme. The Vista features could easily be put into a program in older Windows versions, however give more reason for a user to upgrade their OS. Sadly I'm more of a Linux user now and don't feel any of the features as too outstanding enough to switch back or worse upgrade to Vista.
3. Various hardware problems with durability. Apparently heats up a lot. If you keep it vertical though most of the heating problems are averted.
4. (See Playstation 3's #3 disadvantage)

Playstation 3:

Advantages:
1. Blu-ray. If you're into that.
2. Can be used as a computer. BIG advantage here. Need a new PC, but don't care if it's running Linux (or hell in my case prefer it)? A $600 powerful console/computer really is a grand deal when you put it in those terms. A PC alone of that cost now is usually on the low end. And would't be able to play Playstation 3 games by the way ;)
3. Emulated support of Playstation and Playstation 2.
4. PSP connectivity and possibly some other unknown extra features.

Disadvantages:
1. Blu-ray. If you're not into it and hate how it's a big reason the PS3 is putting a dent into your wallet.
2. The online mode is apparently nothing special by any means or even comparable with Xbox Live's service. Reports say it's more like PS2 online with a few touchups and features. Very disappointing news.
3. Comparable with the Xbox360 as far as graphics, most don't see the difference. And a lot that do actually don't seem to care. "Graphics are nice, but we're hitting a peak where really flashy things can still be seen on low-powered machines and are more determined on the developement of the game."
4. Seems to have less exclusives than first percieved. Assassin's Creed is going to be multiplatform. Resident Evil 5 and Devil May Cry 4 were now announced by Capcom as not being exclusives. Even Kojima has considered putting Metal Gear Solid 4 on another console by saying "At least it would be doable to port it to the Xbox360 as it's powerful enough" [By the way excuse me for being short on sources here so if anyone wishes to correct me then by all means go for it or help as I know I'm not completely full of it here].

Wii:

Advantages:
1. New controller that can determine where it is in a 3D space at all times. Has caught a lot of attention.
2. Virtual Console let's you revisit a lot of your favorite classics for cheap. Including hit games from consoles like the Famicom/NES, Megadrive/Genesis, TG16, SF/SNES, and Nintendo 64.
3. Backwords compatibility with the GameCube (the only console with native backwords compatibility this generation apparently).
4. Low-power, small, durable.
5. Some extra features such as DS connectivity, internet browsing, and possibly some unknown stuff.
6. The price. $250 is a really hot deal considering the other 2 are $400 and $600 (No, I'm not counting the core models. I don't think anyone should. They are stripped of too many features).

Disadvantages:
1. Perhaps you care about graphics. Just bought a sweet new 1080p television and it's the only console that doesn't do anything beyond a measly 480p. Bet it would be a real let down. That aside from it being somewhere [blind guess] about 5x less powerful than the other 2 consoles.
2. ITS MADE FOR KIDS LOL; no but seriously it's 4 days away there's one more disadvantage for you. Can someone help me think of another?

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Heh, the way this guy puts it, it almost makes the situation look funny, at least if you're only planning on getting a Wii at this point in time.

F8X

Smash Ace
I actually got a chance to see, hold, and compare the systems(I did not get to play the Wii or ps3).

Xbox 360-
Controller:
I had already played the 360 and I love the controller. It feels great in your hand and the triggers on the controller are much better that what the ps3 is offering. The controller is probably the best traditional controller I have played on yet.
System(look only)- The 360 looks good, the face plates are nice. The only thing I wish is that the system was more reflective white (ipod for example) instead of a dull white.

Playstation 3
Controller:
The first thing you will realize when you pick up the controller is that it is light, very light. Its so light that the first thing that pops into your head is that the controller is cheap. The feel of the Sixaxis is very different from the duelshock 2, the buttons are a little easier to push in and the d-pad. The lack of rumble I can't give my opinion on due to the fact that I did not get to play, but I can only assume that these will be features that we will all miss, unless there games turn out to be like Alien vs Predator without rumble. The major issue I had besides the weight was the new L2 and R2 triggers. They just don't feel right when you fool around with them.
System- It may be huge, but still it looks great. Maybe this is the American subconscious that shiny things looks good but still...) But the system is pretty big when you see it up close.

Wii(note as mentioned I did not get to play, but I did get to see the system: looks great plain and simple.
System- Looks great, we all heard how the system plays already

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
That was very constructive.

I have not personally played on a PS3.

from my limited time with a 360, I can tell its a great system. The feel of that controller in your hands....it just fits. Plain and simple. I can'taccurately compare it to the PS3 controller, but from what I can see and the way the Dualshock 2 was, I'd have to say I like the 360 controller a lot more. Slightly on the expensive side for wireless(wired controllers? WHo use those?) but its worth it. And when I play 360 games with that controller, it all just clicks.

The Wii? THe only one I own. Partly because its cheap, partly because its nintendo, but mostly I just love the console to death. Seriously. Wii Sports? Oh My God, that game is fun. You've got four people in a room all randomly waving in the air and playing doubles, anyone who walks in thinks you're doing some kind of heathen ritual. REality? You're having a blast. I've had zero problems with my launch day console, no errors or hardware malfunctions. The Wiimote glitches very rarely but it doesn't affect anything when it does. It's accurate for the most part. I don't get tired(unless I'm playing tennis,but that's a good tired). I have similar feelings about the remote/nunchuck as I do for the 360 controller, but for different reasons. The 360 controller is comfortable, but at the same time it's confining. Each hand goes where the other goes. The Wiimote? Now I actually have TWO hands, and they're doing what I want, when I want it.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
You say the 360 wireless controller is slightly expensive, when it's $50. You're aware a full Wii controller costs $60, right?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Uh huh. I agree that's expensive. I didn't say that explicitly. It's got a lot more in it though, so I don't mind the cost. What does the 360 controller have that the Wiimote/nunchuck doesn't? Extra buttons. What does the remote have? flash memory, two gyroscopes, and an IR port. I'll pay $10 for that.

just because somethings more expensive doesn't mean the first thing isn't expensive. Wavebirds for the GC were like $35 when they released. And what's the difference? The Xbox control has better wireless(bluetooth) and it feels better.

Seriously, I was praising that controller, and you picked out the one possibly negative statement and highlighted it. So sorry.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Plus, the nunchuck isn't used for that many games, IIRC. Zelda, Boxing, I dunno, maybe Red Steel.
Yet. I'd bet top dollar that more and more Wii games will begin using the nunchuk attachment.

ChRed, I think you took my last post too seriously. I said what I did because I thought it was funny you said the 360 controller was expensive, but didn't say the same about the Wii controller. Both controllers are expensive, it's ridiculous when they charge so much money for the consoles and then have all the accessories priced so high along with it. Anyone else remember buying Nintendo 64 controllers for, like, $25?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Sorry, I tend to flare up too much.

I miss the good old days, too. This is what you get from inflation + video games being more mainstream than they used to be.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
You say the 360 wireless controller is slightly expensive, when it's $50. You're aware a full Wii controller costs $60, right?
Except that the XBox 360's wireless controller is basically worth 30 dollars (the price of a wavebird, last I checked). Not worth the 2 sets of six-axis accelerometers and the infrared pointer function in the Wii's remote. I'm pretty sure all that stuff is worth the extra 10 bucks.

Zink

Smash Champion
Hmm, why don't we actually debate in this topic as long as all the systems are launched?
The Wii appears to be brutalizing the PS3, outselling it 4 to 1. Price cuts soon?

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Price cuts would be a start. Recently, it's been shown that Blu-Ray is winning over HD DVD 2 to 1, so I'm left to wonder how much the PS3 is contributing to that. But that's all Sony's got going for them, and everyone else is waiting to get their Wii while PS3's are starting to pile up at Target and Best Buy.

The 360 is still out there doing better at the moment, it's just being cover by Wii/PS3 news. We won't be seeing how well these consoles really compare to one another by January '08, when each system has had a chance to give what they have to offer, and after the holiday season.

Zink

Smash Champion
The PS3 is in a position a lot like Vista- it's a good system, but it's so overpriced and there's so few games there's no reason to buy it yet.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I'm picking up my PS3 this weekend if my refund check is on time. I've played the 360 and Wii at friend's houses. Of the three, I see the 360 as the only choice if you aren't patient. It has an amazing selection of games out now and look at the next year. The Wii and the Ps3 will be getting titles that will appeal mostly to their typical fanbase later this year. I just have to go with PS3 because I prefer their cheaper, watered down version of Live over Friend codes. Really though, what does it matter? If I have the money, I'll get the rest later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom