• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New and Hopefully improved Captain Falcon matchup thread! Discussing : MmmmK

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Thank you.

And Falcon has some serious issues in this match up.

Mk's play aggressively. Even if parts of Kyick can surpass the priority of certain moves, Mk can punish is fast, and turn the situation in his favor.

Mk's D-air is severely disjointed giving him an extremely potent combination of priority and range. Not to mention the direction you are sent in will put you in places you don't want to be in. And d-air is faster than Falcons U-air. At mid-low percents U-air isn't gonna do much to Mk as much as Mks D-air will do to you. And when Mk is at high percents he will expect a killer coming his way.

He's virtually impossible to touch when he is above you. And He can easily use his wall of pain.
Wat

An MK fighting falcon is doing it wrong if they're spamming dair. MK's should be using lots of fair > ftilt, and just outranging falcon. Falcon can benefit if he knows how the MK will approach.

Dair vs uair isn't good for MK, though dair comes out fast, you'll need better than perfect spacing to avoid getting uaired half the time.

MK ***** falcon offstage though, dair gimps falcon dive 99% of the time, and if that 1% goes off, MK isn't in bad shape, and the falcon could STILL get shuttle looped or something.

Ugh

Red-Blue

Was selected randomly
A n MK falcon community fighting discussing falcon vs. MK is doing it wrong if they're spamming dair serious.
Please. Falcon is faster than MK. And some moves have SLIIIIGHTLY more range than MK's, and even those are atleast 3 times as laggy. Also, grab release chaingrab.

And that's it. There really isn't much to debate except for how hard MK ***** Falcon.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
For some reason. Some really weird reason. Spamming Utilt will work. Many times. Even if the MK is standing still quite a bit away from you, he will get hit.

If he's dair camping, then you can actually hit him with the last part of the reversed uair if you're slighty left/right of him.

I personally enjoy this matchup. It's fun, and I don't feel all hopeless, Falcon can actually deal with some of MK's attacks.. some of them. Still pretty heavy disadvantage though.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
More often than not, Mks d-air will connect more than your U-air will.

I never said that and Mk will spam d-air.

Idk about U-tilt; I've never played a falcon who ever used u-tilt properly against my Mk.

Mit

Smash Ace
Utilt seems to only work against players unfamiliar with how large its range is, and usually catches people offguard. I used to land it all the time, but it quickly became less useful against someone I fight often, as they'd start expecting it, and start punishing the lag on it. Chances are, though, that an MK isn't going to be terribly familiar with Falcon's moveset. Spacing well with utilt can be useful.

Dair gimps hurt. Bad.

The only thing that makes this matchup slightly less horrendous is the fact that MK has no projectiles, and all-physical players are generally easier to deal with when playing Falcon. However, MK's sword will stop anything you throw at it due to its disjointed hitboxes, so you have to really take advantage of his lack of projectile, and play a good game of keep away from Meta Knight, and wait for opportunities to get in there and punish (which isn't very easy due to his relative lack of lag on nearly his entire moveset).

So yeah, stay away from him, and try to outsmart him to land hits.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
You know nothing about brawl (falcon) at all.
Or you make us believe you dont with posts like the post I quoted from you.
The choice to believe or not is yours. I don't believe that fighting MK with Captain Falcon is soooooooo impossible. Abuse what you have that's guaranteed on him, like the AIR GRAB RELEASE - BUFFERED DASH - USMASH. Know your range, and know his. I'm stickin' to my guns... err... nipples.

And always ban Rainbow Cruise.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I haven't fought many MKs, but I do know that nooby MKs are easy. Good MKs are extremely hard to beat, I'd say that the matchup is 20-80.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
The choice to believe or not is yours. I don't believe that fighting MK with Captain Falcon is soooooooo impossible. Abuse what you have that's guaranteed on him, like the AIR GRAB RELEASE - BUFFERED DASH - USMASH. Know your range, and know his. I'm stickin' to my guns... err... nipples.

And always ban Rainbow Cruise.
I am not going to talk down to you (which I have done, which I apologize for now), but it really seems you are in a fase that you dont even know half of what there is to know about brawl, and brawl falcon.

You can talk about 1 tiny thing we have on MK, but MK outranges, outspeeds and out jumps us.

And thats not even all.

When he gets us offstage, we are done for. Thats a fact.

As a matchup discussion discusses the matchup at the highest level of play.

And at the highest level of play a falcon cannot beat a MK.
The only thing we have that can make us win, is the fact the player is human (as in: makes mistakes). But that is such a weak and poor counter argument, as we are talking about pro brawlers.

And yes, we are talking about a pro falcon, too. But the character captain falcon in brawl will hold the pro back by beeing such a bad character.

Falcon is a character one doesnt even need matchup experience for to beat consistently.
Falcon is just terrible in brawl.

And against MK his flaws do show. Alot.

MK vs falcon: 80-20 MK's advantage.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
You know as an Mk MAIN, I seriously think that falcon has literally nothing on Mk except a few well landed moves that are a few hairs short of being lucky.

I simply jump in the air and point the c-stick in the direction the falcon is and within about a minute, maybe even less, I gimp him.
And then I have shuttle loop as a kill and a follow up to anything I do.
Even if I get kicked out of Nado I'll just do it again and avoid FK. Easy.
My priority DESTROYS yours. Except of U-tilt which clashes with Mks F-air. But thats an obstacle that is easy to tackle.

If you cam mindgame me somehow you can do something worth talking about. But you need a lot of tricks up your sleeves.

And I'm REALLY gonna go ***** if you try to grab me.

90-10.

So basically falcon has:

Grab release thing
Falcon Kick
U-tilt

I think U-air and B-air do well too.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Personally, I think it's more...
80-20; :metaknight:
That's only if you DON'T try to follow up every attack you get in on the Meta Knight with another one. It just doesn't work that way since all of Meta Knight's attacks have the effect of Luigi's neutral air. It breaks out of everything. Play slow and defensive and alternate between up airs, raptor boost, jab cancels and neutral air.

85-15; seems pretty decent too, because well... it's Meta Knight. All Meta Knight has to do is spam neutral air or up+b and Falcon is almost LITERALLY helpless against it. Tornado isn't even a factor when it comes to the neutral air.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
You know, there are some Mk players who actually don't spam their moves.

Instead of using the same set of moves in each situation, they pick the best ones that will fit the circumstances. You'll find this in Tyrant, Dojo, and of course, M2K.

If you go against a non-spammy Mk the match up will be 85-15 at best.

Zeallyx

You know, there are some Mk players who actually don't spam their moves.

Instead of using the same set of moves in each situation, they pick the best ones that will fit the circumstances. You'll find this in Tyrant, Dojo, and of course, M2K.

If you go against a non-spammy Mk the match up will be 85-15 at best.
^That.

Also: :my*****:>:metaknight:

Edit: Swf doesnt even have a picture of my ***** like wtfz

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
The way I see it, this is the only thing us Falcon's can "hope" for:

Hope that we don't have to fight MK.

When up against the menace, just give your all and show that you're going to roll over for him. Will you lose? Probably. But with MK being the best and Falcon being a among the worst, maintaining steady supremacy over MK is simply a statistical impossibility.

†Slader7†

Smash Ace
So gentlemen, who shall we discuss now?

Also, someone should update that first post, since we've already talked about Pikachu.
I would also suggest someone to put the results of our match up discussions in the OP or somewhere so that future Falcon enthusiasts would know how to deal with them.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I already posted the Zelda/Falcon strategy.
They're moving on to Meta Knight now. lol

Raptor Boost is your friend against Meta Knight.
Too bad Meta Knight owns it. Don't rely on your friends.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
i say that if yo space and a combos the game you can beat him i beat a MK but hes not ada or M2K or yoster so i will be foolish enough to go and try this out in a turney. cause CF is a real man

Zeallyx

i say that if yo space and a combos the game you can beat him i beat a MK but hes not ada or M2K or yoster so i will be foolish enough to go and try this out in a turney. cause CF is a real man
You said it.
As corn rows wouldn't be cars without potatoes on a building.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
It's not impossible to beat Meta Knight with Captain Falcon. But if you were to play a Meta Knight that's on the same skill level or higher than you are with Captain Falcon, Meta Knight is obviously going to have the edge.

That, and combos don't work on Meta Knight. Unless the Meta Knight is just slow and doesn't know how to use Neutral or Downair whenever you try to follow up. Then yeah, very little combos will work though. Which is why this match-up just isn't in Falcon's favor.

Zeallyx

It's not impossible to beat Meta Knight with Captain Falcon. But if you were to play a Meta Knight that's on the same skill level or higher than you are with Captain Falcon, Meta Knight is obviously going to have the edge.

That, and combos don't work on Meta Knight. Unless the Meta Knight is just slow and doesn't know how to use Neutral or Downair whenever you try to follow up. Then yeah, very little combos will work though. Which is why this match-up just isn't in Falcon's favor.
Lrn2grabrelease->buffer'dhyphensmash

=D

And Brawl falcon overal lacks combo's. Thats why falcon sucks in brawl.
You still blame the one thing that isn't MK's fault about falcons tier position on MK.

There there. It's alright. Did the monkey scare you? Everything is fine..Don't worry..

Player-3

Smash Hero
if your offstage, and the mk is edgeguarding, and you dont lose a stock

youve already won

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Then yeah, very little combos will work though.
^
I know, there's still some things that'll work. It's just the usual follow ups are pretty much useless against MK. rofl.

That; And I'm not blaming MK. He's not the only character with the ability to do that. Luigi is just as bad with his neutral air's all ranging defensive property. lawl.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Mk is a lagless priority fest.
And his height doesn't make things any easier.

He makes the FF-Nair combo starter almost impossible. By the time you get it started or come even close to hitting him with it, he can retaliate with a down smash or jab, or any other attack for that matter.

Acedude55

Smash Ace
Falcon has nothing on MK.

Nothing.

Only things I will say he has is.

Powersheild (yay for blocking) Jab jab grab, grab release shenanigans, U-AIR. B-air. U-tilt.

Thats pretty much it...oh and falcon kick. Nobody expects falcon kick.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Yeah, that pretty much explains it, Ace.
Besides the grab release, nothing else is guaranteed.
DAIR and NAIR wreck Falcon, sadly.

Top Bottom