• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Milk Bar [Archived]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashAura4

Smash Apprentice
I had read something in Game Informer relating to the new Zelda game. They said that they were gonna add some combat elements to the game, or something like that.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I read an interview/conference recently (I can't recall if it was recent, however) with either Miyamoto, or Aonuma discussing the possibility of incorporating the balance board into Zelda.

HORRIBLE IDEA. I really hope that they scratch that from the list.

On a lighter note, from several sources (sorry that I cannot cite them, if I can find them, I will definitely post) have stated that the Zelda team is working on Zelda games (that's with an S), so perhaps we're in store for a handheld also. It'd be even better if they released another Legend of Zelda, but then a spin-off title for the Wii also. Two Zelda Wii titles is epic.

EDIT: Here's one of the sources: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167443

And here is the quote regarding Zelda from the above article:
Originally Posted by: Shigeru Miyamoto
The Zelda team is forming again to work on new games! But to me, it's about finding these new interactive experiences and bringing them to people."
While that does not point out the statement of incorporating the Balance Board with Zelda, I'll continue looking for that article again.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Hm...

One can only ponder about how the Balance Board would work. It might work. Maybe introduce more advanced sword fighting techniques, such as side-stepping or jumping a sword sweep.

I'm not sure if it's the best idea, but as long as it's not to major and just for more advanced but not needed type stuff (like all the golden wolf moves from TP) then the addition could work.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
I'm playing through TP now, and I have the one mandatory Golden Wolf move(stupid howling stones take too much time to get right). It's so easy without any of the special moves it's not even funny. Balance board would suck; it wouldn't be Zelda. All the gaming magazines keep crying that it's the same old Zelda, but everyone still loves it! Would I like some new ideas? Heck yes! I just hope they don't ruin what is one of, if not the best video game series of all time.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I just posted in the Sonic Unleashed thread an idea that came to mind when discussing video game series and their genre-shifting histories. I came to thinking that Zelda needs a spinoff series or two, like Mario has (except not as many as racing, party, tennis, soccer, baseball, basketball, etc, etc).

I would love to see a Zelda racing, RTS, or fighting game.

Mario Kart is loads of fun, but imagine the Zelda world being transformed into a racing game (as a spin-off of course). Link could ride Epona, Ganon could ride his dark horse, Zelda could ride a mystical light horse, Gorons could roll (or ride fast Dodongos), Zoras could ride some sort of land-shark thing, or a fast Octorok, Bulbins on Bullbos, etc etc. OR, everyone could have some sort of clockwork type machines (similar to the technology seen in the Goron Mines in TP) that represent the aforementioned mounts. There could be power-ups relevant to items seen through the Zelda history, and the same goes for characters.

I would love to see characters new and old appear in new incarnations to race against one another. This could not be done in a game, because canonically, it would be disastrous, and Nintendo would never pull a stunt like that. Besides the given characters: Link, Ganon, and Zelda, we could have numerous characters such as Impa, the Happy Mask Salesman, the Postman, Skull Kid, Darmani, Mikau, Medli, Makar (lots of M's), Saria, King Zora, Nabooru, Link's uncle, who knows, there are so many to choose from! Of course, that was just naming some off the top of my head, and they would of course need to be organized in different weight classes and what not, but for instance, Link would be a middleweight, Toon Link would be lightweight, and Fierce Deity Link could be heavyweight. I could devise a list of all of the characters if given the time.

A Zelda-based fighting game would be similar to the racing game, except well... fighting. The cast would most likely be similar, if not the same, and well, not much more to describe. Bashing the hell out of anyone with a Goron's tank-arms would just be so... delicious.

NOW LASTLY, for an RTS. An RTS game could potentially be canonical, when following the story mode, as most RTS games end up telling grand stories. Perhaps it is a time when the Triforce has not been split, and the kingdoms of Hyrule wish to fight one another for it. You could be: Hyrule (with Link and Zelda as heroes), Gerudo (with Ganondorf as a hero), Goron (with some Goron hero), Zora (with a Zora hero), and the Deku (with a Deku hero). If not canonical, and merely for fun, then the Gorons could have Darunia, Darmani, and Darbus, the Zora could have Ruto, Mikau, King Zora, Ralis, Rutela, etc, the Gerudo could have Ganondorf, Nabooru, Koume & Kotake, and the Deku could have the Deku King, and some other new ones or something.

An important feature that has come to mind would be this - when your units attack an opponent's building, you can choose to zoom in to the battle, and literally play as any of your units (graphics would totally change from the overhead RTS view), controlling each of their very movements, killing any enemies guarding the building, and eventually destroying the building itself by bombing, crushing, shooting, or any other method imaginable. This option would be completely optional, but if commenced, you might be able to change the stakes a bit to further favor you.
Change zelda racing to zelda sports. Swimming with the zora's, horse racing (or the racing you mentioned), archery and a lot more could be made.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Meh. None of the TP bosses scared me.

In OoT... Holy crap. Phantom Ganon scares me to this day.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
There's a couple items from LoZ A Link to the Past that haven't made an appearance since then.

The Cane of Somaria (made a magical block appear)
The Magic Cape (made Link invisible)
The Magic Powder (had a few miscellaneous effects)
The Bees (catch one in a bottle to unleash on your enemies later)
you can't catch the bees in TP it sucks
I'd like to see this Items make another appearance in a Legend of Zelda Game, sadly, I don't think it will happen.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
There's a couple items from LoZ A Link to the Past that haven't made an appearance since then.

I'd like to see this Items make another appearance in a Legend of Zelda Game, sadly, I don't think it will happen.
Well, Minish Cap had a 'Cane, though it just made stuff flip. Other than that, yeah, those are all ALttP-only. Though maybe there's a reason for that? Like, maybe those items are kind of generic and boring, maybe?

On the subject of items, I've always wanted to see the Pegasus Boots show up in a 3D game. Same goes for the Roc's Cape (preferably the Minish Cap version, which let you glide if you held in the button).

A Mega-Bomb would be cool, too. :chuckle:

Bowser King

Have It Your Way

That is my favourite 2-D zelda game. I was young then and a lot of stuff were confusing. Like getting that book of the top of the bookcase :ohwell: You don't want to know how many things I tried. I probably ramed my self into the bookcase 100 times.

Mewter

Smash Master
Who wants Majora's return? I think that Majora's Mask is the best Zelda and I would also love Skull Kid in Smash Bros.
Majora all the way:laugh:
I actually want to see him return.... a lot. When I first saw Majora, I was Like,"Woaaaah! That thing creeps me out!" Seriously, who doesn't want him to return?
Anyways, I never got past the first hour of the game. I had forgotten Zelda's lullaby, and therefore lost to Majora's Puppet, Skull kid..:laugh:

XACE-K

Smash Master
Is it just me or did any one else get freaked out by the toad boss in TP? You walk into the room and don't see anything on the floor butt as soon as you look up it's right there. The spider is the same way.
Not really but I did find the spider wierd. I kill it and I think to myself, "Something doesn't seem right..."

Next thing I know I'm chasing the thing down after hitting it with giant statue hammers or whatever the fight was like. I can't remember some parts of the game too well for some reason.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Well, Minish Cap had a 'Cane, though it just made stuff flip. Other than that, yeah, those are all ALttP-only. Though maybe there's a reason for that? Like, maybe those items are kind of generic and boring, maybe?

On the subject of items, I've always wanted to see the Pegasus Boots show up in a 3D game. Same goes for the Roc's Cape (preferably the Minish Cap version, which let you glide if you held in the button).

A Mega-Bomb would be cool, too. :chuckle:
There's been worse items, like the lens of truth, deku sticks, and the raft.
The Cane of Somaria also made your magic blocks explode. :dizzy:
But yeah, Pegasus shoes totally need to return, and so do Deku Nuts.

AllGoodNamesAreTaken

Smash Apprentice
has anyone else tried to do the Masterquest version? I'm playing through it right now, and its really something. Most of the dungeons aren't any more dangerous (in some cases it is safer) but the puzzles... Those puzzles will mess with your brain like no other, if you thought the ordinary water temple was hard, try the masterquest water temple...
I got stuck there fo r a week! Is at Gannon(sp?) Castle dispelling barriers... haven't touched the game in a while because it mind ***** you too much. <_< xfd MQ Water Temple is the King of mind games, 'nuff said!

AllGoodNamesAreTaken

Smash Apprentice
I just posted in the Sonic Unleashed thread an idea that came to mind when discussing video game series and their genre-shifting histories. I came to thinking that Zelda needs a spinoff series or two, like Mario has (except not as many as racing, party, tennis, soccer, baseball, basketball, etc, etc).

I would love to see a Zelda racing, RTS, or fighting game.

Mario Kart is loads of fun, but imagine the Zelda world being transformed into a racing game (as a spin-off of course). Link could ride Epona, Ganon could ride his dark horse, Zelda could ride a mystical light horse, Gorons could roll (or ride fast Dodongos), Zoras could ride some sort of land-shark thing, or a fast Octorok, Bulbins on Bullbos, etc etc. OR, everyone could have some sort of clockwork type machines (similar to the technology seen in the Goron Mines in TP) that represent the aforementioned mounts. There could be power-ups relevant to items seen through the Zelda history, and the same goes for characters.

I would love to see characters new and old appear in new incarnations to race against one another. This could not be done in a game, because canonically, it would be disastrous, and Nintendo would never pull a stunt like that. Besides the given characters: Link, Ganon, and Zelda, we could have numerous characters such as Impa, the Happy Mask Salesman, the Postman, Skull Kid, Darmani, Mikau, Medli, Makar (lots of M's), Saria, King Zora, Nabooru, Link's uncle, who knows, there are so many to choose from! Of course, that was just naming some off the top of my head, and they would of course need to be organized in different weight classes and what not, but for instance, Link would be a middleweight, Toon Link would be lightweight, and Fierce Deity Link could be heavyweight. I could devise a list of all of the characters if given the time.

A Zelda-based fighting game would be similar to the racing game, except well... fighting. The cast would most likely be similar, if not the same, and well, not much more to describe. Bashing the hell out of anyone with a Goron's tank-arms would just be so... delicious.

NOW LASTLY, for an RTS. An RTS game could potentially be canonical, when following the story mode, as most RTS games end up telling grand stories. Perhaps it is a time when the Triforce has not been split, and the kingdoms of Hyrule wish to fight one another for it. You could be: Hyrule (with Link and Zelda as heroes), Gerudo (with Ganondorf as a hero), Goron (with some Goron hero), Zora (with a Zora hero), and the Deku (with a Deku hero). If not canonical, and merely for fun, then the Gorons could have Darunia, Darmani, and Darbus, the Zora could have Ruto, Mikau, King Zora, Ralis, Rutela, etc, the Gerudo could have Ganondorf, Nabooru, Koume & Kotake, and the Deku could have the Deku King, and some other new ones or something.

An important feature that has come to mind would be this - when your units attack an opponent's building, you can choose to zoom in to the battle, and literally play as any of your units (graphics would totally change from the overhead RTS view), controlling each of their very movements, killing any enemies guarding the building, and eventually destroying the building itself by bombing, crushing, shooting, or any other method imaginable. This option would be completely optional, but if commenced, you might be able to change the stakes a bit to further favor you.
I would love to see that... but don't you think that running man in OoT would pretty much wreck the entire cast... you know the one that always beats you by a second?

Grunt

Smash Master
has anyone else tried to do the Masterquest version? I'm playing through it right now, and its really something. Most of the dungeons aren't any more dangerous (in some cases it is safer) but the puzzles... Those puzzles will mess with your brain like no other, if you thought the ordinary water temple was hard, try the masterquest water temple...
actually, there is a quite easy glitch to skip 99% of the water temple in MQ if you don't feel like playing it through.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Actually an LoZ RTS is a really good idea, I've been working on a potential unit list and story for it. I don't know if there is a place to post Hypothetical games though, Also, I'm sure someone could make a working prototype of an LoZ RTS using the Warcraft III world editor.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Actually an LoZ RTS is a really good idea, I've been working on a potential unit list and story for it. I don't know if there is a place to post Hypothetical games though, Also, I'm sure someone could make a working prototype of an LoZ RTS using the Warcraft III world editor.
Awesome! I've been working on a potential character roster (making the actual graphics) for a Zelda fighting game, and have been meaning to get around to a unit list for an RTS. PM what you have so far, I'd like to see the conceptual arrangement.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
This is off from the RTS thing you guys were talking about, but I want to know what your take is on the thing about Miyamoto wanting to bring Zelda to the future, possibly as an FPS (he's known to be an FPS fan).

I think that this would canonically fit with the Zelda series. Link, Ganon, and Zelda are supposedly eternally reborn, so in a futuristic setting, Link could work. Using guns, of course, but the Master Sword would still be there (1:1 motion, anyone?).

But, what about how this would work. Well, Nintendo already has a futuristic game, but Metroid isn't exactly an FPS. Don't get me wrong -- it has first person gunplay. But, there's to much of an adventure element in it for it to really be a true FPS (to add to that, not enough gun types).

So, Zelda Future would fit Canonically with the LoZ series and it would be Nintendo's first step into a true FPS.

I think this would be fun, but I don't want Nintendo straying from the Medieval theme for to long. But, it would still be cool to see that the ancient feud over the triforce is going on into the future. Just keep Link a mute.

Darkslash

Smash Master
This is off from the RTS thing you guys were talking about, but I want to know what your take is on the thing about Miyamoto wanting to bring Zelda to the future, possibly as an FPS (he's known to be an FPS fan).

I think this would be fun, but I don't want Nintendo straying from the Medieval theme for to long. But, it would still be cool to see that the ancient feud over the triforce is going on into the future. Just keep Link a mute.
Master Sword could be like reborn to the Master GUN!!!!(No....)

Okay this post is going to be serious

A Future Zelda could possible be the best thing to the series since Orcarina of time and possibly be the more accessible zelda he was Talking about. How Hard is it to shoot some monsters really?

Master Sword: Possibly not a sword if its in the future. Perhaps the metal used in making the sword is Reforged into making a Master Gunblade(yea i know) though that may be kind dumb :p

A FPS main title zelda might not be a good Idea though. LoZ has been primarily a 3rd person game and should stay that way. If LoZ becomes a 3rd Person Shooter/Slasher then that could be to epic to comprehend. Of course Ignorant Microsoft fanboys are then going to call it a GoW rip off.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Nuu... Master Sword has to remain the Master Sword. The gods probably upgrade and reforge the steel whenever the sword gets rusty or something.

Yeah. I want to see this happen, but only once. Unless it blows traditional Zelda out of the water (which wont' happen).

quadz08

Smash Cadet
To be quite honest, I'm not sure what I think about a futuristic Zelda. I can see Skyler's point with them being reborn, so it makes sense. However, the traditionalism of Zelda would kind of be ruined if you did that. I'm worried about a fiasco almost at the CDi Zelda level.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Futuristic Zelda would be the Zelda ground breaker

N64: first 3d Zelda
Gamecube: first cel shaded Zelda
Wii?: Futuristic Zelda?

And i remember that Zelda Hoax so many people were waiting for it because it was futuristic.

Immortal_One

Smash Apprentice
I loved Ocarina of Time. I also loved Twilight Princess. They're my two favorite games of all time, and I can't rank them above or below each other.

Byawwwwwwwwww.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
It would make a cool spin-off series.

Like you have the main Legend of Zelda series, but you also have the Zelda: Future series. That way, we get the medieval and futuristic Zelda.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
It would make a cool spin-off series.

Like you have the main Legend of Zelda series, but you also have the Zelda: Future series. That way, we get the medieval and futuristic Zelda.
that would be cool, except, how a futuristic Zelda work?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Zelda's already done the whole "spin-off" thing, and aside from one notable exception (Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosey Rupeeland), they've basically failed to make a worthwhile product.

The big problem they face is that if you put "Zelda" on the box, people are going to expect a certain level of quality out of the game. If that level isn't met--despite whether the game's any good or not--people won't buy it.

Just look at Castlevania Judgment for a recent example. People were looking for a big adventure though Dracula's castle, and when Konami told us "it's a Castlevania fighting game!", the entire gaming population immediately cried foul. The game look fun enough, but just because it has "Castlevania" in the title, it's not going to seem as good to franchise fans like me because of that little voice in the back of our heads that says "you could be navigating a tricky maze in a clock tower, batting away Medusa Heads all the while..."

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, i really don't like the idea of a Legend of Zelda FPS. Warcraft III has more or less shown us how an RTS can take the Zelda namesake and maintain its greatness, Especially in the expansion pack the Frozen Throne through creative use of hero spells and unit abilities in a number dungeon crawler type levels.
Oh, and Spire III, is sent you a PM if you like it, I'll send more.

It does make a very amusing Halo Hack though, Watch this Video on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eZIwb_PpF8&feature=related

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
SuperRacoon said:
It does make a very amusing Halo Hack though, Watch this Video on YouTube.
That doesn't look at all fun to play.

HOWEVER, the intro, where the player guides the camera through Hyrule field, does make me remember something.

I've maintained that the next Zelda only needs to do one thing to be amazing. They can keep all the time-tested tradition the same: collect 5 medallions/tokens/stones/shards to open up Location X, repeat 2x, fight Ganondorf, save Zelda, the end. But there shouldn't be any transitions anywhere in the game, aside from cutscenes. Like in that Halo video, imagine walking through Hyrule Field, coming up to Lon-Lon Ranch, and entering it...yet the game never fades to white/black, the music transitions smoothly from the Hyrule Field theme to Lon-Lon Ranch's country-fried music...

Really, I just want to feel like I'm in one big world again, like I did playing the original NES game and ALttP O so many years ago. Windwaker pulled this off well, but not perfectly. Also there was the issue of most of the "world" being a (essentially) flat, blue plane.

For more reference, think of the world of Shadow of the Colossus. There isn't a loading screen in the game, yet you can explore virtual miles of landscape. You can climb pretty much anything, and go pretty much anywhere, with enough determination.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
You guys are lame. Zelda FPS would be the god of all spin-off series.

Anyway, I agree that we need to make it feel like a complete world. OoT was kinda close, WW barely missed it, and I have no clue what happened with TP.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
SkylerOcon said:
Zelda FPS would be the god of all spin-off series.
Being that it would control like this hunk of crap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r4SA7KKEfY&feature=related, it would probably only get halfway to deity status before people realized that "this isn't Zelda".

I could get behind the idea of a Prime-esque First Person Adventure...but...Crossbow Training was really bad, man.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Crossbow Training was excellent for 20 bucks and a perifferal. I actually enjoyed it. I got platinum on every level.

Anyway, to each his own. But still. It would be awesome. Well, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom