• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Milk Bar [Archived]

Status
Not open for further replies.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Hay Zelda thread~!

I've basically run the holy hell out of the Zelda games in my possession, but I've still got a jonesing to play a good Zelda-type game. Every once and a while another company will try their hand at a "Zelda killer", and while none of them have come close they normally are good for a run-through. Does anybody have any recommendations of similar games that are worth a look for a Zelda-starved gamer?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
It's a little old, but Brave Fencer Musashi was a pretty good Zelda-esque game in a way. It's made for the PS1.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Ah, the last Zelda game I played was WW... I need to get up to date with these things.

I had fun exploring the entire map lol, that was fun. Random side quests all over the place.

The map is toooo huge though, lol. I loved the wind dungeon.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
OKAMI

...Or, how'z'bout:

> Shadow of the Colossus
> Beyond Good & Evil
> Rygar: The Legendary Adventure
> ...Landstalker? It's an old Genesis game, and is basically an isometric Zelda clone.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
The best Zelda game is obviously the GCN-GBA connected 4 swords game whose full title escapes me at the moment.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I never tried a co-op with four players and connected GBA's... takes so much equipment.

That would be quite the gaming experience though.

Four swords was really fun, ahem.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
I never tried a co-op with four players and connected GBA's... takes so much equipment.

That would be quite the gaming experience though.

Four swords was really fun, ahem.
It was less a gaming experience and more a way to ensure you hate all the people around you.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
OKAMI

...Or, how'z'bout:

> Shadow of the Colossus
> Beyond Good & Evil
> Rygar: The Legendary Adventure
> ...Landstalker? It's an old Genesis game, and is basically an isometric Zelda clone.
Okami is epic win, but sadly I've already beaten it...and Shadow of the Colossus...and Beyond Good & Evil... Rygar is getting a Wii-make though, so I'll certainly look that one up. I love Zelda-esque games, and I've played a ton of them, hence my problem in locating more similar experiences.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
The best Zelda game is obviously the GCN-GBA connected 4 swords game whose full title escapes me at the moment.
Four Swords Adventures. I loved that game. I gave it a couple of playthroughs, back when my brother still lived here.

I think Nintendo needs to make this one of the games they port to the Wii, or maybe just a WiiWare version of it with wifi to play with friends. I would buy it.

@derek

Ico, maybe? I never played it, but I heard it was Zelda-esque. You could probably find a copy of it on Ebay.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Ico's more like Shadow of the Colossus sans epic combat than Zelda. Or rather...like a point and click adventure game crossed with a 3rd person adventure game.

It's definitely one of the games everyone needs to play if they haven't, because it's seriously an amazing game...but it's not necessarily "Zelda".

@the Four Swords remake idea: I've always thought it'd be perfect on DS. The system's so ubiquitous, not to mention wireless...plus it has those two screens (one to track you, and one to track your "allies", maybe?). As long as they let you play the main game co-op via one game card, it'd be perfect like that.

Four Swords for DSi Ware!

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I can see it as DSi Ware. It would probably be the most expensive out of the starting bunch (unless Bob's Game is DSi Ware), but that would be pretty cool.

The portable-wifi part of the DS would aid that game. See another guy with that game? Stuck on that one annoying level? Work together and profit (mostly by killing him and stealing all of his rupees!)

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Favorite Zelda Game = WW / Four Swords.

Four Swords for being the best multiplayer one.

WW for being the best single player one.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
dude, its way better in all aspects.

MM>>>WW>OoT>>>TP

TP SUCKED. sucked.

Majora's mask is too good for said reason in my last post. (top of last page)

Minato

穏やかじゃない
dude, its way better in all aspects.

MM>>>WW>OoT>>>TP

TP SUCKED. sucked.

Majora's mask is too good for said reason in my last post. (top of last page)
I really like MM. The game gave you a ton of freedom at the beginning which was really fun. I've only beaten the game once, but I'll probably play it again once they release on VC.

I can understand if you didn't like TP. But saying that it sucked?

Oh well, everyone has different opinions.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
On the Majora's Mask/Ocarina of Time situation:
Honestly, I can't choose which one I like more. At first(like around 5 years and further ago), I liked Ocarina of Time more then Majora's Mask. But, when I played through Majora's Mask again, the plot, temples, etc. intruiged me so much to make it a stalemate between the two.

As a few pages back, when we were talking about how Nintendo will possibly create remakes of their best games, Majora's Mask + Ocarina of Time would be EPIC! A Link to the Past is a close third though.

Which reminds me, why hasn't Majora's Mask been released on Virtual Console yet?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Which reminds me, why hasn't Majora's Mask been released on Virtual Console yet?
Because it's a really, really big file. Bigger than any other 64 game up there right now, which means it's bigger than the (for the 64) mammoth that is Paper Mario.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
i cant wait for paper mario and MM to be released on VC

somebody that works for nintendo said that MM will be released and that they were working on it.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
WW's rendition of Ghoma was too good. I still laugh when I see Valoo's expression when you use the Grappling Hook to make the bottom of his nest fall on the giant scorpion.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
WW graphics>TP graphics
Honestly? The only game that comes close to Windwaker in that department is Okami. If not for that game's absurd pop-in, draw distance, and loading screens, it'd be my number one.

Seriously, I have yet to play a "next gen" game that can rival the artistic might of either of those games.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
WW graphics>TP graphics
Agreed. Wind Waker's art style looked absolutely beautiful. Sure, it wasn't realastic, but how well they pulled the Cell Shading off made it all worth it. I get made when people say WW is a bad game just because of the graphics. That's part of what made it so good. I think that many people would be saying it beats OoT if it wasn't for the graphics.

Seriously, I have yet to play a "next gen" game that can rival the artistic might of either of those games.
Mirror's Edge? I'd say it at least comes pretty close.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Mirror's Edge = "let's apply bloom to everything, and keep the contrast really high. That's artistic, right?"

...In other words, not really. It's certainly uni--O SNAP.

I FORGOT PRINCE OF PERSIA

I like to measure how good a game looks by how closely it's concept art resembles the in-game art. Notice how both Okami and Windwaker are great examples of this. And as it so happens, PoP is too.

**** is this a sexy-looking game.

Waluigi911

Smash Lord
People are comparing Wind Waker graphics with Twilight Princess graphics? Why? Sure, Wind Waker's looked great... but... it's still a "toon" look. Why would this be conceivably better than Twilight Princess?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
XD I was just about to mention the new Prince of Persia.

But yeah, WW had some issues such as the Triforce part slowing down the game's pace an all.
It's still one of my favorite Zelda games. I still wish that you could explore Hyrule and get the Triforce pieces there...

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Windwaker was an excellent game, but I still don't think it competes with either Twilight Princess or Ocarina of Time. The triforce gathering was a pain, but there wasn't enough temples/dungeons. Those are what make a Zelda game for me, and both TP and Ocarina provided tons of those. Link to the Past is also filled with temples.

But why anyone still complains about the artistic direction is beyond me. I was skeptical at first, but I grew to like it way before WW even came out. Cel-shading is a big part of games today anyway. Games like No More Heroes, Okami, and the new Prince of Persia have cell-shading, and they are (or looks like it's going to be) super badass in terms of gameplay. The artistic direction really shouldn't be too much of a concern, as long as it doesn't distract from the gameplay. At least in terms with WW, it HELPED the gameplay.

Waluigi911

Smash Lord
Okay, I've heard a lot about Okami from this topic... just what exactly is this game? WHen'd it come out? What system is it for? Is it any good? Is it only rent-worthy? How long would it take to beat this game? Why is the sky blue? Oh, sorry, don't know how that got in there.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Okami's a game that came out for the PS2 a few years ago, and was ported to the Wii recently. I got the Wii version a couple months back, and it's really something. I haven't played too much; classes have been keeping me busy this semester. But so far, it's a beautiful game. In it, you play as a god in the form of a wolf. Your special power is that you can affect the environment by using your so-called "celestial brush" to paint effects. You can cut things by painting lines, make the sun rise with a circle in the sky, etc. Of course, you use the Wii-mote to do the painting, so that's pretty cool. Keeping with the theme of painting, the whole game looks just like a painting from Japan. It's the best-looking game I've played in a while. As for the structure of the game, it definitely takes a fair bit out of the Zelda series. It's an adventure complete with dungeons, plenty of characters, etc. It is definitely worth some of your time if you're into Zelda. I haven't nearly finished it, so my judgment is only worth so much, but I consider it money well-spent already. Plus, it got IGN's Game of the Year award a few years ago (for the PS2 version, I think), so there's that going for it too.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Unfortunately Okami was an underrated game and its sales weren't that stellar.
The game didn't get the recognition it deserved in my opinion. People shouldn't have passed up the game.

While I haven't had the chance to play it yet, I'm waiting until I get a Wii to buy this game.
If not, I'll just settle with the PS2 version.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
While I haven't had the chance to play it yet, I'm waiting until I get a Wii to buy this game.
If not, I'll just settle with the PS2 version.
If you have access to a PS2 and can find the PS2 original, I say go with that. The Wii port is an inferior product, even if a certain few brush strokes are made easier with the waggle controls.

Otherwise there's really nothing different. The load times are still the worst part of the game, and to add insult to nothing, the Wii port took away the "rice paper" filter that the PS2 version has--which essentially makes the game look as though it was painted on an actual sheet of rice paper.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
There's a store by my house that has the PS2 version still. I guess I'll buy it once I have some extra cash to spend.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I really hated the sailing in WW, I also prefer the more pseudo realistic art style of TP over the cel shading. The great sea was just too big and too empty.

I liked WW more for the time spent on islands, you know, actually doing stuff, sailing around was just a pain. At least you get the cyclone song fairly soon so you can bypass most of the sailing.

WW is a fun game but it doesn't make my Top 5 list for Zelda games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom