• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

Jane

Smash Hero
I'm actually not on the band's page at all yet. It's a secret that I joined so far :shhh:

but, I got a facebook too.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000527481485

in fact, it's how i found this band. I don't get why people hate facebook, it's been extremely useful for me.

also: there is a rumblin that Number Twelve Looks Like You may be regrouping. when they get 1000 twitter followers, they're going to tell us a surprise!! If they get back together my soul will explode.

also also: I'm stoked for the BTBAM/Animals show! I don't care much for Tesseract though. I wish Dillinger was playing the FL show I'm going to since I love Dillinger almost as much as BTBAM
ah, right. i remembered you posting a picture of your guitar so i just assumed you were the lone guitarist in the band. i'm a master lurker. but yeah i went ahead and sent you a friend request.

and yeah people have told me that tesseract... sucks. so i dont care to check them out haha.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
They don't outright suck, but it's just not really my style. I'm not a huge fan of the new "djent" style that seems to be getting really popular, and the guy's vocal style is just not cool. They're pretty good instrumentally though.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
looked it up and I guess Meshuggah is credited with inspiring "djent"

will be looking more into this

Geist

Smash Master
Meshuggah is pretty nutso.
Djent almost seems to be getting as much negative flak as dubstep. I don't think it's that awful, though I'm definitely choosy when it comes to which bands I like. Fellsilent, Periphery and Tesseract come to mind.
In all honesty it's just metalcore 95% of the time though

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
djent is not metalcore. it's progressive metal. the unique factor is the guitar tone, 7 and 8 stringed guitars and polyrhythms. mostly the guitar tone though. which is why it's kinda dumb that it's even a genre in the first place.

but yeah, Meshuggah is the earliest band I can think of to have that super high gain, "digital" sort of sound to the guitars.

AAL is pretty much djent.

My favorite djent group is Ever Forthright

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33MTPqfNXms

Geist

Smash Master
My bad, noted. Progressive feels like such a blanket term now :/
Ironically it barely covers actual progression.
Genres are meh anyways

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
In my experience, Periphery and Animals as Leaders were first big groups where the djent label was applied to.

Then, it gets even more confusing when you have more deathcore bands with djent tones, like Born of Osiris and Veil of Maya. I wouldn't call either of those bands djent, but the guitar tone is the same.

and now for something completely different.

I rediscovered Melt Banana, who is possibly the very first heavy band I ever got into. I forgot how ****ing brilliant they are. I must see them live before I die. Agata is one of my idol guitar players/musicians. His creativity and skill with fx loops and pedals is pretty much unrivaled.

[yt]uJ0QFsR-Nzo[/yt]

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I've had this wallpaper for nearly a year now.

Don't think I'm gonna change it.

Is it weird that I listen to new/any bands and like them, but no where even close to how much I love Pantera?

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I literally love the crap out of every single song they have.
this sentence made me laugh when I read it more carefully

oh speaking of Pantera -> Domination -> Apocalyptica cover

A friend at work and I were talking about this. Apocalyptica covers a huge amount of metal as well as accompanies other metal bands like Rammstein and things like that, and for recent projects have hired a drummer, but when it comes down to it, they're just 4 cellos. Are they considered metal or no?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Hell yeah. Metal isn't just instrumentation. I think of metal as a mindset and an ethic, kind of like punk.

and besides, cellos are metal as **** anyways. if they were four harpists or didgeridoo players you might be on to something.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Cuz we were talking about all the kinds of things that sort of molded the norm, like the down-tuning of guitars / lead and rhythm and high tempos. But with the genres of contemporary metal presenting such varied standards, it's hard to really draw a kind of line between a given metal artist and anything else that resembles the style through a different vehicle.
I like that mindset approach though. Reminds me of Metalocalypse.
And don't be dissin on the harp :upsidedown:

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
also: there is a rumblin that Number Twelve Looks Like You may be regrouping. when they get 1000 twitter followers, they're going to tell us a surprise!! If they get back together my soul will explode.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!!!!!!! :bee:

EDIT: They announced that they are finally releasing their live DVD!! Not a full comeback, but **** it, I'LL TAKE IT!!!

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Have you guys listened to the new Autopsy album?
I thought old school style death metal was dead, but holy ****, they brought it back, and they made it sound super heavy and gritty.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
here is an unfinished midi of a song I'm writing with the drummer of my band. it is a side project. it's going to be called Jill Sandwich. was going to be a solo project but I need a drummer. I suck at that crap.

http://midishrine.com/midi/43268.mid

the way things are looking, we'll probably have this recorded before our band actually releases anything :/

of course it's crappy midi and isn't a great representation of what it sounds like, and the song is a ways away from being finished, but I'd love to hear your feedback regardless!

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Yeah, I think we all have. I think that is one of the only things I've ever mentioned that Weegee liked.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The Faceless is top tier heavy music. I like their first album a lot more than their second, but both of them melt my face every time.

now you got me in a Leica mood

I like Born of Osiris a lot too, but only in small doses. Can't really get into Veil of Maya. They tore it up when I saw them live though, so I gotta give em props.

I've actually coming around to August Burns Red. It's not really my favorite style of music, but it can be really fun and energizing. Constellations is a solid album!

"Indonesia"

http://youtu.be/rzSxIfFKg0Q (feat. Tommy Rogers on vocals for like 15 seconds!)

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I've only heard of the Faceless, but I just gave them a listen. I like what I hear. :)

I'm new here, so I might as well list what I listen to. I mainly listen to Opeth, Abigail Williams, Porcupine Tree(not really metal, shh), Mastodon, Kalmah, Animals as Leaders, Between the Buried and Me, Behemoth, Dark Tranquility, Children of Bodom, Daylight Dies, Dimmu Borgir(saw them live twice, once with Kataklysm and Devildriver, the other time with Behemoth and Keep of Kalessin), Immortal, Equilibrium, Moonsorrow, Old Man's Child, My Bitter End, Shade Empire, and Swallow the Sun.

And uh, yeah, that's some of what I have on my iPod. :p

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I loved seeing Dimmu live, but their latest albums have been pretty disappointing for me, so I'm kinda growing out of them. :/ The Stormblast reissue is still one of my favorite albums though.

The only other band I've seen live is Iron Maiden, and I almost saw Dark Tranquility, but I bought my ticket for the wrong day, so I couldn't get in. :/ So I'm pretty excited for Opeth. And I would love to see CoB live.

Cherished Doll

Smash Master
Sickkk yea I know what u mean about the last album...
iron maiden is classic<3 I love them! I almost died watching Metallica live... Geeezzzz
BIG FOUR=BestDayEverr!!!

Idk what mink was talking about either :/

:phone:

Top Bottom