• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Melee Circuit

BunBun

Smash Master
Alrighty, since the Midwest now has 4 Brawl Circuits...it's about time to start
The Midwest Melee Circuit

Also known as the only Midwest Circuit that matters. =P

This is an attendance and point driven circuit. If you want to stand chance to win the pot at the end of the season, I would highly advise you not to miss any tournaments.

Dates, Locations and TO's
A "schedule" of sorts.

November 7th: JAB2
Purdue University, West Lafayette Indiana.
Hosted by us
thread goes here...

November 28th: KUNTASM
Parma, Ohio
Hosted by Coheed and Cambria
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=251124

TO's, if you can host an event or would like to contribute in some way, please contact BunBun

Circuit Information:

15% will be taken out of the pot of every tournament to go towards the Circuit bonus. At the end of the Circuit (after points are tallied from the Circuit Championship), the top 3 points earners will be awarded the pot in a 60%/30%/10% split. Teams will be 70/30.

An addition/correction to this, is that the circuit cut must be equal to 15% of the pot for each event. This doesn't mean that the money has to come from the pot, though. If there is enough venue fee leftover to cover the 15%, that can surely be used as the cut, allowing the full pot to be given as prizes.

Point Information
For singles, 64 man or 32 man bracket. If the bracket is 32, then places 33 and 49 don't matter.

1. 500
2. 350
3. 250
4. 190
5. 150
7. 120
9. 100
13. 80
17. 50
25. 20
33. 10
49. 5

For teams:
1. 500
2. 380
3. 270
4. 190
5. 120
7. 90
9. 60
13. 30
17. 20
25. 10

This works for teams 16 and 32 bracket size.

Team Circuit Information
Teams points have changed a lot! We're doing it the same way the Eastern Barlw Circuit is doing it. You have a main team (your most used team), that earns points. If you team with anyone else, 1/4 of the points you get from that team are added to your main team (this goes for your partner as well). This means that you aren't totally boned if you team with different people on occasion.
So let's say I team with Ray Chun twice, getting 90 points each time, and then I team with Rat and get 120, and Ray Chun teams with Kels and gets 20. Our main team is still BunBun + RayChun, so we have the 180 points from that, plus 1/4 of my points from teaming with Rat and 1/4 of Ray's points from teaming with Kels, bringing our total to 215.

Circuit Championship Information

At the end of the Circuit, a championship tournament occurs. Everyone is encouraged to attend. A possible format for the tournament is as follows:
The current top 8 pointholders get to pass the first round of pools. From the beginning pools matches, the top 16 placers will join the top 8 pointholders in round 2.
Round 2 is seeded from points and Round 1 results to produce 4, 6 man pools. The top 2 of each of these pools advance to Round 3.
Round 3 is a massive 8 man round robin, where we get to see the Midwest's best go head to head. The top 4 from this move on to the final round.
The top 4 from Round 3 are seeded into a 4 man bracket.

Note that this is simply a suggestion for the championship tournament format and not an absolute requirement.

The Circuit Championship points are worth 1.5 times normal points.

Circuit Rules
These rules are consistent for every Circuit event
- First round pools are seeded primarily by circuit points.
- Items: Off
- 4 stock, 8-minute timer
- Best out of 3, with finals best out of 5
- Advanced Slob Picks (after each game of a set):
1. Loser picks stage or can randomly select a stage
2. Winner picks character
3. Loser picks character
-Double-blind picks may be called at any time.
-Dave's Stupid Rule: You may not pick the last stage where you won in the same set.
- Stage Knock-outs: Each person knocks out one stage for the entire match (i.e., the entire best 2-out-of-3 or best 3-out-of-5). This stage must be selected at the beginning of the match, after initial characters have been chosen.
-Team Attack: On
-Life-Stealing: Allowed
-Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
-Wobbling is banned

Recommended stage information

Neutrals are:
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams*
Pokémon Stadium
Battlefield
Dream Land (N64)
Final Destination

Counter picks are:
Rainbow cruise
Brinstar
Mute City*
Poke Floats
Corneria
Jungle Japes
Green Greens
Kongo Jungle
Mushroom Kingdom II

* Singles only.

TO's must have at least 5 of the neutral stages on random, and no neutral stages may be banned. A TO may move stages at his discretion from Counterpick to Ban and one from Neutral to Counterpick should they so choose, but the changes must be approved by the Circuit board.

Also, stage striking is cool, but let us know beforehand.

And that's it! Let's make this thing awesome!

TO's, if you can host an event or would like to contribute in some way, please contact BunBun

COHEED AND CAMBRIA

Smash Ace
so is my tourney gonna be the second one? Is it ok too do two one right after i know it wont effect the attendance i have already so im not too worried.

BunBun

Smash Master
3 Weeks is just enough of a break. =P

I don't really expect Parma to pull the entire western half of the MW, so we'll have an event somewhere on the west half to even it out. It'll be fine.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
wait, is coheed's tournament inside of his apartment??? wtf? and i thought that was a brawl tourny. i mean, game bashing aside, mixing the two for a circuit event is not good.

COHEED AND CAMBRIA

Smash Ace
Well considering i have M2k drephen Lambchopz, Vanz, Swiftbass, and Many other pros coming id say its worth coming to the OHio circuit event Deku :)

Vro

Smash Lord
Bunbun, how long/many events are spanning this circuit?

I know this is the midwest, but I thought we should at least bring it up for discussion. Should we ban Japes and Greens? Can we put DK64 on neutral? Input please.

Team points are functioning more correctly.

Please update this thread more frequently this time, not just for points but for pot prize as well.

BunBun

Smash Master
Bunbun, how long/many events are spanning this circuit?

I know this is the midwest, but I thought we should at least bring it up for discussion. Should we ban Japes and Greens? Can we put DK64 on neutral? Input please.

Team points are functioning more correctly.

Please update this thread more frequently this time, not just for points but for pot prize as well.
I'm not sure on the length of it yet. Last time I gave a number I ended up being considerably off. It will be at least 5 months though.

As far as stages go:
(from the main post)
TO's must have at least 5 of the neutral stages on random, and no neutral stages may be banned. A TO may move stages at his discretion from Counterpick to Ban and one from Neutral to Counterpick should they so choose, but the changes must be approved by the Circuit board.

Also, stage striking is cool, but let us know beforehand.
TO's can do almost anything they want with the stages, but to avoid it being excessively ******** (i.e. only fd and DL64 on neutral), we want to approve the changes.

And yeah, I'll update this one better.

Deku: Sorry =( We'll have one further west, too. You're pretty centrally located. Think of the poor players in Michigan and Kansas that have to drive 6-8 hours to come to most of the MW tourneys.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The only thing I dislike is the rule limitations.

I think stage striking is the fairest system, but I understand that some people disagree. I think it should be an option available to TO's.

I don't want to see DK64 on any neutral lists, but it should be up to the TO.

Green greens, japes and mkII should be up to the TO too.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
wellll, coheed's thing seems like it'll be decent, but i still don't think it should be part of the circuit, IMO. event 52 was farther away for most, but it had like the best venue i've ever been to. plus it was darkrain's last before he went to texas.

that being said, it's fine if it's included. if we have 5-6 events, then it won't matter that much.

Tink

Smash Hero
i think we should have alottt of events this time....that way if someone misses 1 event, they wont be almost outta the point race. plus, more tournaments = win anyway....just space them a month out or so and it will be fine.(that'll make the winners get alottt more money and more of an incentive for mangos to come again =) ).

just my imo..

Top Bottom