• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mario Rediscussion Thread. Currently Rediscussing: Diddy Kong

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
It only works when the tank is full, bro?

Explains how it worked when I tried it for the very first time.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Not a bad match, Hero. You really gotta use that 0-35% uTilt juggle when you get the chance, though. Also, I'm not sure on this, but it looks like its useless to try and hit him after a glide. Nice job racking up damage with fireballs, though. You were so close.

Does Mario have a good shuttle loop counter, or does he always have to dodge it?

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Not a bad match, Hero. You really gotta use that 0-35% uTilt juggle when you get the chance, though. Also, I'm not sure on this, but it looks like its useless to try and hit him after a glide. Nice job racking up damage with fireballs, though. You were so close.

Does Mario have a good shuttle loop counter, or does he always have to dodge it?
Reflecting it would mess him up...If you get the chance to

Big-Omar

Smash Journeyman
If Mk approaches with a grounded Nado, charge your Usmash and hit him. Works for me everytime, even with Aireal Nado sometimes o_O

Big-Omar

Smash Journeyman
Lol I do when I used Metaknight.Then again my Mk is good.

I still think a Charged Usmash can beat out MK's Nado. Someone correct me if im wrong.

vato_break

Smash Master
best time for them them to nado is when your in the air and they can level nado with you, you have almost no options, it will get you if airdodge,mario doesnt really have any hitboxes below him so breaking nado is hard only thing that you could do is cape or fludd if you are far enough from the nado....this is why i stay grounded more in this matchup.

@bigo upsmash is only vaible if he's coming from a distance really he can nado you before uspasm will come out.

vato_break

Smash Master
not a good idea he can bait you too wiff it then he can punish.You'll be left in the air and that's where you don't want to be. Upsmash is only good if he chasing you with the nado

Big-Omar

Smash Journeyman
Yea he does chase me. Kinda stupid considering I can Usmash,cape, or fludd it.

Anyone know a good way to deal with MK's edgegaurding? Especially his Dair gimps. What I do is Up B him before he even gets the chance to hit me. Works for me

vato_break

Smash Master
he can jump and dair you out of your upb aswell..invisibilty frames are on frame 3 not though the whole things so upBing when they might dair you is not safe at all.If you can fludd mk away thats the safest thing to do.

Big-Omar

Smash Journeyman
Only reason I use Up B is cus its so quick and Im near the ledge. I try to get back to the stage as fast as possible before MK reaches me. But you're right. I should start implementing FLUDD anti-edgegaurd into my game.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Against almost all characters, when I recover, I start by throwing fireballs until they are within striking distance, then either cape to throw them off, or airdodge if cape isn't enough. Due to the fireballs, their options for interfering at this point should be limited if not outright eliminated. Saving midair and upB as long as possible is ideal.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
@Matador: I'll keep that in mind, bro.

The U-tilt juggle is not reliable at all. Stray (the MK player) just had a silly moment. MK can easily D-air or N-air out of U-tilt juggles. Glide was already thoroughly talked about. If you want to attack him out of it, do it offstage, because that puts him in a bind. Otherwise, you can risk using Cape and try to reverse the glide, or FLUDD him and put him in FIHL if he uses the Glide Attack.

That match was also nearly a year and a half ago. I'm far better than that now.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
the uptilt juggle IS reliable
the onl thing is that you have to buffer the next uptilt cuz there is a timewindow of like, i think 4 or 5 frames where mk can nair,dair out of it

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
the uptilt juggle IS reliable
the onl thing is that you have to buffer the next uptilt cuz there is a timewindow of like, i think 4 or 5 frames where mk can nair,dair out of it
What's stopping them from buffering a D-air/N-air?

If it were that simple, then Luigi wouldn't be able to N-air out of the juggle and Snake wouldn't be able to bust out a grenade.

For another note, I wanna know how DDD is a 60:40.

Matt07

Smash Master
Dedede...

Such a boring match-up, again being aggresive get's you nowhere here in this match-up.

I'd say 65:35, but I'm tempted to say 60:40, I dunno it seems Mario can still hold his own against MK.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
DDD is simple. Just space extremely well, camp him, Cape stall here and there, bait him into a lot of F-smashes since you know he wants to grab, gimp his recovery. It's very feasible to space so that you DON'T GET GRABBED. And fortunately, DDD is pretty terrible at KO moves, since he basically can't kill you without a lucky Smash/Gordo/lucky F-air/fresh B-air/lucky U-tilt. Never approach him. He has to approach you, because he does not have respectable camping.

Either 6/4 or 65/35 in his favor though, even if the "infinite" is in fact allowed. Mario's got this on BF though imo.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
DDD is simple. Just space extremely well, camp him, Cape stall here and there, bait him into a lot of F-smashes since you know he wants to grab, gimp his recovery. It's very feasible to space so that you DON'T GET GRABBED. And fortunately, DDD is pretty terrible at KO moves, since he basically can't kill you without a lucky Smash/Gordo/lucky F-air/fresh B-air/lucky U-tilt. Never approach him. He has to approach you, because he does not have respectable camping.

Either 6/4 or 65/35 in his favor though, even if the "infinite" is in fact allowed. Mario's got this on BF though imo.
Unfortunately, he is right about having to camp. If you do not camp, you will lose because if you go aggressive, you will get ***** by his shield grab with stupid range. The thing I don't understand is how Dedede is bad with killing. He can edgeguard very well and gimp us, he multiple kill moves that aren't hard to hit especially his Utilt. It's an amazing kill move that's fast and can kill very easily. He also has fair to kill and his I'm not 100% sure of his smashes. Also remember that Dedede is extremely heavy (I believe he's 2nd behind Bowser and yes that includes vertical KOs) and can rack up insane damage. A bair can do 13%, his Bthrow can do 16%, and his CG will rack up quite a bit. Luckily we can outcamp him though it's not easy. His waddles can be a pain.

NNID
LilG912
Hmm. OK, we know DDD can super b***h @ camping. I'll take DDD on BF and try hard as possible to have stage control and try to pressure him up-close and space myself w/ bair like the other Mario's do. We can somewhat @ outcamp him, he got 2 waddles while we got infinite fireballs. Yeah I know, don't get grabbed..

Neutral: Battlefield, the other neutrals is fail, DDD will **** us there.
Counter-pick: Brinstar, he can't CG us there.

I'll say 60/40 DDD.

Veggi

Smash Champion
DDD is heavier than Bowser last time I checked.
Off the top, Dedede is the heaviest character. Heaviest off the side is DK due to up b braking, Bowser is the heaviest off the side by normal means. Overall heaviest character is DK. However, most KOs in competitive play come from vertical kills.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
DDD is heavier than Bowser last time I checked.
I might be wrong.

Neutral: Battlefield, the other neutrals is fail, DDD will **** us there.
Counter-pick: Brinstar, he can't CG us there.
I wouldn't say all other neutrals are fail. FD and SV are stages are the neutrals you shouldn't fight him on. I'd take him to YI or Lylat.

Off the top, Dedede is the heaviest character. Heaviest off the side is DK due to up b braking, Bowser is the heaviest off the side by normal means. Overall heaviest character is DK. However, most KOs in competitive play come from vertical kills.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
My point is that this penguin was way too much fat.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I've only fought a DDD once in tourney, and that was last Summer at Shuffle and Cut versus Blitz when he was ranked.. so it's been a while x.x

He beat my Mario with DDD on Battlefield, then I beat his DDD with Fox on Smashville, and his DK beat my Fox on I forget x.x

If I remember correctly, DDD's utilt has super armor and goes through the platforms on Battlefield, so be careful.. Just be gay and camp =/

BSP

Smash Legend
Yeah, I think we established that Mario HAS to play gay here or he gets destroyed. Stupid grab range is stupid.

So, fireball camp, and space really well, or get grabbed. This is a frustrating matchup.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
@Veggi: DI and Momentum breaking does not factor into weight classing.

I wouldn't say all other neutrals are fail. FD and SV are stages are the neutrals you shouldn't fight him on. I'd take him to YI or Lylat.
If Lylat Cruise is open you need to take him there. The tilting stage screws up the chaingrab. That's why most if not all Dededes make it their very first stage strike. It gets rid of their strongest tactic.

NNID
LilG912
On YI, DDD have a gud chance of CGing us. BF and Lylat are the perfect choices, we can just abuse the platforms to annoy the DDD player and try our best not to get CG'd. YI seems difficult to play DDD on.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Yeah...you can't screw around with getting back on the stage. That match should have been **** in favor of Mario. I like the use of upB.

Top Bottom