• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas General Discussion

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
lol I've actually only done Jab1
I don't have any of the rest cause too lazy atm

tekkie

Smash Master
question:

why do lucas players do that ff/zair thing? does whipping the wiggly snake dude out before you land actually do something? i know it's lagless and cool or whatever but is it useful?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
It does two things:
A) It's a psychological mix-up. On reaction, you're not sure if he's f-airing or z-airing so it might force a sidestep
B) It creates a larger window of buffering that allows players to buffer their moves better

tekkie

Smash Master
how does it increase the buffer window? you mean like if you buffer stuff when the zair comes out before you hit the ground?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I was under the impression that Zair had weird landing properties as well, but I could be wrong.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
yo so I played doubles against mekos at a recent tournament
just thought ya'll should know lucas is broken as **** in doubles.
like seriously
just full hop dair over and over while your partner pokes at them. at the tourney the snake he was with just did the first hit of ftilt right as mekos landed
took me 0-75 almost every stock, in a matter of 1 or 2 seconds.
so yeah play with snakes

KoozyK

Smash Ace
like seriously
just full hop dair over and over while your partner pokes at them. at the tourney the snake he was with just did the first hit of ftilt right as mekos landed
so yeah play with snakes
nahhh teaming with diddy works just as well :)))) as long as we dont run into a double snake team.
thats just dumb

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
HAH
alex and I 5 stocked the double snakes at that tourney. so many explosives, all we did was sit there and wait for them to kill themselves.
gewd games
the damage output isn't as good with diddy though, with snake lucas is was like
16 damage 9 damage f tilt 16 damage dair 20 damage full f tilt to end it and you're out and ****ed for that stock.
though with diddy you can do a lot with naners, if he hits someone, instead of doing a grab do full dair or down smash or something for an easy 35% or so

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
HAH
alex and I 5 stocked the double snakes at that tourney. so many explosives, all we did was sit there and wait for them to kill themselves.
gewd games
16 damage 9 damage f tilt 16 damage dair 20 damage full f tilt to end it and you're out and ****ed for that stock.
though with diddy you can do a lot with naners, if he hits someone, instead of doing a grab do full dair or down smash or something for an easy 35% or so
Why don't you you just sdi the dairs?

EDIT: Nvm, I just remembered at low %'s with a Zamus there's a huge true combo that's relatively quick. ZSS Fthrow --> Lucas Dair --> ZSS Fully charged Dsmash --> ZSS Bair --> Lucas Usmash
Does like 65%
Lucas IS broken

KoozyK

Smash Ace
HAH
gewd games
sit back and wait huh?? i could do this i dont think my teammate could tho

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
Since were talking about doubles and all, me and Mars WonderBoy are teaming for next week tourney. How well does the Lucas/Fox combination sound?

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
Since were talking about doubles and all, me and Mars WonderBoy are teaming for next week tourney. How well does the Lucas/Fox combination sound?
yo lucas and fox is pretty insane, as far as non lucas-meta or double meta teams go lol
the healing is incredible, fox can SH double laser and lucas gets like 7 or 8 back from it, and if you manage to get alone then you can basically get the game in the bag by healing 70 or 80

Lucas can save fox with his up b but you have to loop around and hit fox from below because his up b at his head will cancel PKT. Also fox can heavily angle his up B upwards and lucas can pk fire off the edge.
Besides that, both characters have powerful up smashes and grab + fox up smash is still OP like in melee.
I mean it's not the best but as far as healing teams go it's pretty damn good.

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
Oh Lucas and your crazy ATs, I just can't keep up with them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-c1nTIBcl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-c1nTIBcl8

Most of these are in TAE's guide, but 0:33 has me befuddled. Any help?

Edit: *FAE's
To do the Zair Jump from a grounded position, Control Stick Jump --> Y Jump (or secondary jump button) --> Airdodge --> Zair. You have to input this really fast. You also have to hold the control stick jump for a little bit before letting it go to the neutral position. If you hold it for too long, the controller will recognize the input as an Up Smash. If you don't hold it long enough (basically release it right after the input), you'll do this vvv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dt2HODyb_4&feature=channel

So the only difference between the Zair Jump and the Zair Double Jump Cancel is how long you hold the Control Stick after the jump

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
what's there to do kooooozy?
just like, fire and ****. just do whatever you want.
watch me play jaurice next time I'll show you the real game.

also teach me to do that footstool **** and move ECU closer. :|

KoozyK

Smash Ace
what's there to do kooooozy?
just like, fire and ****. just do whatever you want.
watch me play jaurice next time I'll show you the real game.

also teach me to do that footstool **** and move ECU closer. :|
lol ill teach you the footstool stuff if you teach me how to beat stockfield, jaurice's snake is janky and doesnt play the way he's supposed to.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
lol ill teach you the footstool stuff if you teach me how to beat stockfield, jaurice's snake is janky and doesnt play the way he's supposed to.
lol that's weird, I can beat stockfield because he's not particularly janky but I have an extremely hard time beating jaurice because his playstyle is so weird.
trade info lol
the only way I really beat stock is with good pokes and powershielding, and gimmicks.
Mostly poke to keep away, but the only way I score a good punish or hit is with a gimmick. this is good for DK because I can hit with headbutt shenanigans.
the problem with stock is that he doesn't have that many patterns, and as soon as you exploit one WELL, he will NEVER do it again. Like when I played his rob and punished his double fair or fair to spotdodge with a bair or ftilt it was fine, but once i predicted into a down smash and took a stock, he never fell for it again and did something different every landing. So you have to basically evolve and adapt yourself FASTER than him in order to get a kill. he's just really solid.
I can see how you would be kinda unfamiliar with stock's kinda snake after playing jaurice, your mindset has gotta change.
At the very core, try not to take very much damage. Stock will punish with a good f tilt every time he can, and I mean EVERY TIME. this is often good for you at like, 130 or higher cuz he'll accidentally not use up tilt. But his powershield ftilt is on point so only fire safely.

edit: holy jesus that was a rambled as hell answer I hope a single thing I said makes sense. tl dr don't get hit and jump away from stock when he drops grenades, he's not like jaurice, who will ALWAYS drop grenade then run pivot grab.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
like seriously
so yeah play with snakes
facepalm* I make dubs tips vids for a reason yall. During the tourney Stingers said lets just play while they blabber strategy. That's not good for in dubs u should be utilizing strats and tactics. I taught Shady P basic dubs tactics. The reason u went from 0-75 that much is cuz of team spacing, team shield pressure, follow-ups, and punishes. This can be done with any character. I'm utilizing dubs smarts and have mastered lucas' best attacks for each situation for dubs. The thing u saw with my diar is me utilizing "sandwiching" with perfect team spacing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L9NS-YXf00&feature=related

Here is the match
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJAOEzCqJlA&feature=youtu.be

It might not look like it but I'm slowing the match down and in control the whole time. I'm communicating with my partner and trying to force him to use teamwork. I'm using clutch teamspacing so that it is easier and more obvious for my partner to work with me.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
facepalm* I make dubs tips vids for a reason yall. During the tourney Stingers said lets just play while they blabber strategy. That's not good for in dubs u should be utilizing strats and tactics. I taught Shady P basic dubs tactics. The reason u went from 0-75 that much is cuz of team spacing, team shield pressure, follow-ups, and punishes. This can be done with any character. I'm utilizing dubs smarts and have mastered lucas' best attacks for each situation for dubs. The thing u saw with my diar is me utilizing "sandwiching" with perfect team spacing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L9NS-YXf00&feature=related

Here is the match
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJAOEzCqJlA&feature=youtu.be

It might not look like it but I'm slowing the match down and in control the whole time. I'm communicating with my partner and trying to force him to use teamwork. I'm using clutch teamspacing so that it is easier and more obvious for my partner to work with me.
we know you're better lol. but for the record, alex and I talked about how we were gonna play extensively beforehand, I think he just wanted you guys to not get used to our styles and move without previously discussing your options.

Top Bottom