• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucario Video and Critique Thread

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
@ Rake: You need to get faster in reaction time, as well as more creative with your ground and air game. First match, you kept dairing down as a knee-jerk reaction to getting sent up at low percents, you will really want to fix this habit (which hasn't been coming up as much in the other videos thankfully) once your opponent adapts and punishes this. You often shield stuff far too late, including smashes, tornado, etc. which makes me wonder if this was an off-day for you. Either way, play against MKs more to get a feel for the timing of said attacks. I would really recommend adding jab into your game, it's really handy for punishing dsmash oos since grabbing never works 90% of the time. You have a tendency to not throw out enough pressure where it counts, while at the same time throwing in aerials/approaching at inopportune times. You should totally be all over him when he is high up in the air, lucario's really good at responding to MK aerials. Oh yeah, and don't throw out AS too often unless you think you can force MK to attack from pressure or dodge in some way, that's one of the only ways you'll get him to get hit. Considering most of the time you often take a risk charging AS when you could be retaining all your options, throwing out AS seems borderline wasteful.

Don't do triple roll, this is a bad habit and has no aim besides maybe "mindgames" lol. if you're going to roll, capitalize on the now reset spacing your opponent has to adapt to.

HyL!

Smash Lord
i posted in the critique thread a while back, when i first picked up lucario doing this to see if i've improved, i used him once in bracket,at mlg and managed to get grimace to last stock soo, i have another match to see if there's anything else i should work on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIde-Z8Pjok

anything would be appreciated D:

iLink

Smash Champion
I got some replays of me and Jeepy teaming (as well as me against him lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TRgZRe9dv0 - Probably my least amount of screw-ups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ6990kYkuE - This is how Lucario shouldn't do the anubis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08JDd9Ryu-k - Omnomnomnom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cxVFvxG4ps - I dun like FD for doubles :U

These last 2 are with different partners

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mthNR5RqoIo - 2:45 get ***** iLink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceESVvzIWII - it gets lolzy after 2:45 and dat projectile barrage combo

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Link, stop running at DK without even a Sphere charged up.

Its not really safe to approach DK unless you've whittled down his shield a bit.

iLink

Smash Champion
I had to keep him occupied though considering he kept going after wario. If you mean after I was at 1 stock, then that was probably because I knew we were doing well enough that I could just mess around.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Vid of 2 friendlies of me vs UltimateRazer yesterday. I was happy about of how I finished the first match...until I started getting MOLESTED the second match. Oh well...

UltimateRazer(Snake) vs RT(Lucario)

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
RT, try to be a little more mindgamey when Snake DThrows you. Since BF is so small its hard to get too much space to roll though. Also when you get more chances try to aim for Snake's head more with AS when you can. This makes Snake a looottttttt easier to approach (but at a medium distance to make sure you don't get a mortar up the butt). Either Snake has to shield, duck, or jump over it. In return you wear down his shield a little or get him in a position that can be more difficult for him to do something framewise.

He kept the pressure on you moreso than you on him.

I know we Lucarios love DAiring shields, but its not worth it unless we've worn down a shield considerably.

Steam

Smash Hero
yeah especially if the opponent is smart enough to tilt their shield up. then it will never ever work.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Drop usmash, you saw it never worked out for you when you wanted it to.

high jumping + dair is your friend against bair.

when he's facing forward, wait for the fair and figure out his pattern.

Don't jump when you're being WoP'd

you didn't get overwhelmed by shine blocks and dsmash (you didn't try to punish or land near it, that's good), so you definitely have that down.

That one time when you had a lead and had him grabbed? don't dthrow, uthrow (or at least fthrow), if you uthrow, you can either abuse the CG if you've got the timing down or you could strutterstep fsmash/walk away ftilt the obvious shine/Air dodge coming, and get a nice chunk dealt with your lead.

Wait on his jump more, if he's FH shining, FH uair/nair him)

Good idea of teching the dthrow, better than eating stuff offstage.

Zucco

Smash Master
When I watched you at SiiS3 Disicple, you rarely used Auraspheres. I make sure to have those things full at all times lol.

Zucco

Smash Master
Yeah, I know. Thats why I didnt comment about the video itself lol.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'll watch your vids against Kain and advice here so I learn what to do against him. I was planning to MM him at either Don't Blink or M.A.S.

...if I can get the livestream to load, lol.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'll try to get some vids this weekend for critique or whatnot.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Overall, that was not bad.

You have good basics, however you have some poor habits. I would avoid rolling into your oppoent because that leaves you open for extra reads, and in general it is just not a safe option. Against Olimar, playing more air based is a good idea, but I want you to keep in mind that wasting your second jump in the air for no real reason will have you juggled for a extreme amount of damage. Try not using your second jump unless needed, that way you have a extra option for escapes and mixups. Your use of downsmash was impressive, but don't over due it also. It becomes predictable, and it can lead to you taking extra damage if used to much due to reads. Also, against Olimar, try grabbing and tossing him into the air more. In almost any situation in a match-up, setting up juggle traps can and will be effective.

In terms of Olimar, you need to keep the Pikman off of you, so in most cases, Fairing and Nairing to strip the pikman while you have distance from you opponent is a good idea.

VaxtinTheWolf

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1977-0415-5766
Overall, that was not bad.

You have good basics, however you have some poor habits. I would avoid rolling into your oppoent because that leaves you open for extra reads, and in general it is just not a safe option. Against Olimar, playing more air based is a good idea, but I want you to keep in mind that wasting your second jump in the air for no real reason will have you juggled for a extreme amount of damage. Try not using your second jump unless needed, that way you have a extra option for escapes and mixups. Your use of downsmash was impressive, but don't over due it also. It becomes predictable, and it can lead to you taking extra damage if used to much due to reads. Also, against Olimar, try grabbing and tossing him into the air more. In almost any situation in a match-up, setting up juggle traps can and will be effective.

In terms of Olimar, you need to keep the Pikman off of you, so in most cases, Fairing and Nairing to strip the pikman while you have distance from you opponent is a good idea.

To make my reply really simple.. I prefer not being int he air, I often lose track if I have second jump or not, I roll to attempt Up-Tilts because I dont know what else to do to olimar.. I really, really hate him. And I try to turn grab by wi-fi sucks. And lastly I'm not really good with juggling. I'm decent, but hen I want to it never works. I just sometimes get a lucky break when I catch them in one.

Thanks though.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
I only watched the Olimar vid.

You had a lot of good options, you kept the pressure which I liked.

A couple of tips to remember -

When Olimar is throwing pikmin, whether it be fsmash, grab, forward b. You do have time to approach, walking up to him is preferably best when you don't know the range of each pikmin being thrown at you.

Once you figure out the range of each pikmin, you can begin to mix up your approaches, from the air and ground. I usually don't jump into the air, when I'm really close cause that makes them nervous and if they try to pivot grab me, I can cover the distance in one hop and dair them, then I begin to chase.

Don't overuse fsmash. He kept rolling around you on FD and you got hit with a lot of dumb things. Yes it's wifi, but this will also affect you offline. So be careful with your fsmashes.

When he's rolling around like he did. Wait for a second, then utilt, if you don't like to wait then do a dsmash, or ftilt in the direction he's going to be in. Teach them to never roll around Lucario, we have enough lingering hitbox to punish that.

Aura spheres of all shapes and sizes are your friend in this match up.

Also at low percent, when you force palm them you can be flashy and do a pivot walk to utilt, then determine if they hop away or try to land. If they try to land, keep utilting them, when they jump walk up to them and utilt them again or ftilt.

Other variations for force palm follow ups, are grabs, aura sphere and fsmash. All at low percent!

DI not included

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Not sure if you guys rate doubles matches, but this is all I have of my Lucario right now. I admittedly went into this tournament knowing almost nothing about Lucario, especially the MK MU, as it was my fourth day playing him, but I decided to use him anyway. I usually play ROB/Dedede, so going up against double MK on Brinstar didn't seem like a good idea to me with either of them, so yeah, haha.

Game 1 was lol, and I was Dedede anyway.
Game 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAIsEKVi2W8
Game 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwPowP2FdVc&feature=related

I'm not really looking for much in the way of doubles advice, but just advice on my Lucario overall. Our Kirby/Lucario team needs work, since I'm usually the stock tank, so it kinda carried over to our strategy, even if it's not a good one. I should have singles videos up in the next few days from the same tournament if you guys don't want to critique me from doubles matches.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Lucario should not be the stock tank in Doubles. Kinda defeats the purpose of using Lucario in Dubs.

Your recovery methods are a little predictable and unsafe (why ES near the top of the screen?). Don't use DSmash too much against grounded MKs. 10% Aura Spheres beat Nado, so just keep one charged or mid charged to tear through incoming bats.

In Doubles Lucario can afford to be a bit more aggro.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Lucario should not be the stock tank in Doubles. Kinda defeats the purpose of using Lucario in Dubs.

Your recovery methods are a little predictable and unsafe (why ES near the top of the screen?). Don't use DSmash too much against grounded MKs. 10% Aura Spheres beat Nado, so just keep one charged or mid charged to tear through incoming bats.

In Doubles Lucario can afford to be a bit more aggro.
Yeah, like I said, the Kirby I teamed with is my roommate, so we team a lot. I'm usually the stock tank with ROB or Dedede, and he was aggro and crowd controlled, that was our strategy. I decided to go Lucario this tournament for the first time, but we just kinda kept the strategy because we were both comfortable with it. I've been working on being more aggro in doubles with Lucario though.

That one specific ES, I honestly don't remember what I was thinking. I never ES like that, that was probably the only time I ever have.

Besides that, thanks, I'll keep that stuff in mind.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Lucario's actually not too bad at doing "reverse Anubis" so-to-speak lol.

It's just that you're usually not getting the full package.

This works pretty well though if you're paired with a Ness/Lucas, given the fact that if you're using the gimmick of the team right you're not really going to outlast your partner lol.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Lucario + Lucario teams are legit

anubis + stock tanking

Lucario's actually a really good stock tank + supporter, as that was what I was doing before the anubis strat was conceived... its just not as good because if you're partner has less stocks you get debuff'd

Top Bottom