• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

SetsumA

Smash Apprentice
Sure, Ill go if its melee and brawl, and i assume sudai is going as well?

-Ran

Smash Master
have we ever done power rankings here on the boards for melee and brawl? like now for melee and brawl?
They did for Melee. Anytime I've brought it up, it was decided that it would just hurt a lot of feelings and cause unnecessary drama to start doing it for Brawl.

RickyB

Smash Cadet
EDIT:
whoops..this is CYPHUS.

well, its not like we have anything better to do. the thread needs something to talk about.
trying to base things good placement, consistency, and common sense...
(alphabetically ordered)
1. Lee
2. CJ/Cyphus/Sudai
3. John/Pierre/Ran
4. Chad/DJ/Nick

that would be something i'd start off with for discussion
i'm sure thats plenty to debate.

if i'd add...
Ran's gotten alot better recently but hasn't fought many other top LA people since, Pierre and Chad place randomly (very inconsistent), John and DJ don't go to enough tournaments, Nick is relatively consistent, and Vaughn sort of doesn't count :p

rememeber guys, this is a friendly discussion. no 2 people will agree and we're all a litle bias on what we consider more important in deciding who's better.
just because player A beat player B in a tournament, doesn't neccessarily mean he's better. Or if player C placed 2nd this tournament doesn't mean he's 2nd best, there is such a thing as close games, bad brackets...and thats where i try to use common sense, but unfortunately its still a 'judgement call'.

Sudai

Stuff here
We didn't really do one for Melee either. The one we have up is basically Taylor's opinion.

Freddy, I'm going to FS5

RickyB, in the group I'm bringing it's just me, Nick, and V, so 3.

Sudai

Stuff here
Alphabetical Order where I'm unsure.

1. Lee (Seriously, who's gonna debate that?)
2/3/4. CJ/Cyphus/Sudai
5/6. JWu/Piere
7/8/9/10. Chad/DJ/Nick/Ran

imo

I guess I should have just done tiers like Cyphus. Only place I disagree atm is Ran's placement and that's due to the fact that he's done well recently. We don't know if it's gonna be consistent or not yet.

Vaughn excluded cause I don't think he wants to be in it (he didn't for Melee and he was more into smash at that time. lawl)

Edit for Sudai being right.

Sudai

Stuff here
Double post for Final Smash 5 housing info, or what I have of it.

Nike 20 said:
Hey there. Im a San Antonio local. As of now, theres only 2 people here who have offered housing for FS5. Another player t-rex (not the snake player from houston) and myself. Hes going to El Paso during the christmas holidays and told me that he would ask them all if they needed housing from him. As of now, Im housing San Angelo.

Ive had plenty of smashfests at my house and basically all of San Antonio is a good friend of mine. They'll all tell you the same. If you include my 2-story patio (we tried it once and forgot about the humidity of south texas... and the fleas. But that shouldnt be a problem in winter lol), I have enough room in my house for 15-18 setups. And I can house 6 people without the floor/blankets/bean bags/etc, or easily 20 people with the floor.

There lies the problem. WAYYYY more than 20 peopl out of town will need housing. So Im really gonna try to get San Antonio and perhaps even Austin (Hylian lol) to step up.

I guess thats enough info for now. I dont wanna take the first 20 people that ask for housing, though, til I know who else is basically. Except for San Angelo, since I owe them.

I play both melee and brawl, but usually I lean towards melee if both setups are available.

Btw, I turn 18 on January11. Quite smexy a way to become an adult :)

RickyB

Smash Cadet
CYPHUS SPEAKING:

yea, well thats good we share basically the same list now.

i'll be playing alot of diddy next tourney, so for anyone that wants some experience in friendlies, i'd be happy.
i really can't order any of my 2ndaries right now...but its basically: DK...then Kirby, Lu, Diddy, Peach, Ice..just depends so much on the oponent and/or stage. But i'm excited about using any in a tourney match now.
i wish stages didn't matter so much in this game...its dumb. I guess i'll never understand half the counterpick levels. Smash is a party game-turned fighter..shouldn't we just be using neutrals and close-to-neutrals?

Redson

Smash Journeyman
Crap, I'm forced to agree completely with that list. No wonder we never really did power rankings, it's just too easy around here.

How far are we going with this:? Top 10? Top 20? I'd like to see how other people placed, and who my competition is. I've never really looked at who all plays Brawl instead of Melee. (Or both.)

Cyphus, I would be MORE than happy to friendly you. I haven't seen any good Diddy's here yet. :D My Shiek may suck horribly, but I'm sure I could manage to entertain yeh a bit.

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
Cyphus, I don't think I've ever seen you use Lu... I'd like to see that... And get some Diddy practice too. Lol. I'm basically like this right now: D3, Wolf, Pikachu, Sonic... I wanna work on those last two a whole lot more to cover some disadvantages for D3 (i.e., Olimar, IC, Diddy...). But yeah, I guess since I'm on that list I'll give my opinion... Here's my list a little more detailed and I'll explain why:

1. Lee
2. CJ
3. Sudai
4. Cyphus
5. JWu
6. Piere
7. Nick
8. Ran
9. Chaddly
10. DJ

Reasoning:
1: Lee - Really? No explaination here.
2: CJ - He always does really well (top 2 or 3) in almost every tournament he enters. Really good snake.
3: Sudai - Always does top 5
4: Cyphus - Same as Sudai
5: JWu - whenever he enters he does really well, but he ran off on that last tournament at Dibbz which didn't help him.
6: Piere - What Cyphus said, he's really random in his placing, but overall it's really good
7: Nick - Placed 7th in the past like 3 tournaments before LasT 2 and then top 7 LA-placing in the LasT 2 tournament (But not top 8 overall so I might consider moving myself down a little bit)
8: Ran - Really good LasT 2 placing, but before that it wasn't so hot, which hurts
9: Chaddly - Top 8 at LasT 2 which says a lot, but also before that not too much either
10: DJ - Really low representation but when he does enter he gets like 9th so this is where I'd put him

This is all just my opinion, though, trying to go off tournament-facts since like August, which I know is a really long time (stole that from Subai :3).

Sudai

Stuff here
Cyphus, I want to play all your secondaries a lot this weekend. I have near no experience vs Lu, Peach, and Diddy.. :/ If you get on AIM and see me on, you should message me. Need to explain a little game that I wanna try out this weekend.

As for my tournament viable secondaries..all I really have is.... Silver ROB? I do plan to make my Marth awesome, it's hard when I only get to play Smash on weekends and I wanna make sure my ROB doesn't get rusty.. :/

Pritch

Smash Lord
I might be interested in heading over to tx for final smash, as it seems like it will involve melee in some capacity. Only question is whether I'll be back in LA from christmas break, but the dorms will be opened up again by then so the option is certainly open.

Sudai, are you going to be in BR or ruston when this happens? If BR then I'd probably be willing to work out some variety of carpooling plan, but ruston's pretty far out of the way. If not sudai, is anyone else from new orleans or br interested in this thing?

*EDIT* Also, I'm actually sufficiently caught up with my school stuff that I feel like I can goof off tonight. Anyone down for some melee? I can meet at dibbz or wherever else in NO.

Sudai

Stuff here
Pritch, it all depends on who's going. I'm basically gonna catch a ride with whoever has an extra seat in their car and just meet up with them in BR (since NOLA has to go through BR or if I wind up riding with the Houma/Thibideaux Crew, I'll meet them wherever)

Worst comes to worst, I'm probably flying out from shreveport. lawl

-Ran

Smash Master
Listed in alphabetical order. I may add more to it later.

Butthole Tier
Lee – No one has shown that they are able to consistently beat Lee or even make the match interesting. Most of Lee’s secondary characters can beat our mains. Lee –owns- Louisiana at this point. Up until now, it’s just been a competition by everyone else in the state for second place. Typically uses Meta Knight and Lucario in tournaments.

Top Tier
CJ – The new kid on the block, more or less. He’s shown to have a ton of potential in the game with the utilization of Snake for the limited of time that he has actually played the betters in the state. His main limit at the moment is the fact he plays Snake, which cannot compete easily against a high level Meta Knight, Rob, or Falco. He’s yet to lay an egg in a tournament though. Characters: Snake and Wolf.

Cyphus – There are few players in Louisiana that have ever given Lee a run for his money, and Cyphus is one of them. Not only that, he plays many characters that see little tournament play, from DK to Luigi. Really, I’m wondering where his latest character is going to take him [Diddy.] He’s proven to consistently make the great in game choices when he plays. Characters: DK, Luigi, Kirby, and Diddy.

John Wu – Despite not owning a Wii, Gamecube, or any other manner of playing Smash Brothers, Juju is still a threat at any tournament that he goes to. His ability to consistently learn and alter his strategy mid match, along with his epic trash talking, make him consistent tournament force whenever he actually attends. The main question is, how much longer will this continue? Characters: Lucario and Falco.

Sudai – Sudai is one of the leaders of the R.O.B. Forum. He plays one of the most annoying characters in the game and has shown himself to have a great grasp of the match ups of almost any match. Once again, just as Cyphus, he makes great choices when he’s playing. Sudai’s skill level continues to grow as he ventures out of state more and more. Due to his character choice and tactics, Sudai is often a massive road block to many high tiers. Characters: R.O.B.

High Tier
Chaddly – Chad has one thing going from him, ‘committing’ to attacks that people would otherwise not due. This often results in a Forward Smash hitting fully charged to an eager opponent, but as with all of the other high tiers, he’s inconsistent and lacks a suitable secondary character for when Snake cannot win. Pokemon trainer doesn’t count, I’m sorry Chad. He did greatly benefit from playing Lee during the time Lee lived with him. Unfortunately, he tends to be very sloppy in how he plays, which tends to throw off his opponents. Characters: Snake…….. and Rock Smash.

DJ – Much like John Wu, DJ hasn’t attended many tournaments outside of New Orleans, if any at all. When Brawl first came out, he was one of the first to pick up Meta Knights, and then he eventually moved over to maining Olimar. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen him fight since the summer so I cannot comment on his abilities.

Nick – Considering the main character that Nick uses is D3, this gives him a tremendous boon against most of the tournament players. He’s able to essentially chain throw almost every main character that is used by the Louisiana Smash Scene, and even completely negates Cyphus’s Donkey Kong. This means he’s often going against the secondary characters of his opponents after beating them once. By no means does this mean he relies on his character to win. During the LAST crew battle, he managed to spot dodge -all- of Marth's Dancing Blade down combo. Character: D3.

Pierre – First off, the best Lucas player probably ever in existence, yet his tournament record is spotty at best due to his stage fright. Due to this Pierre is almost –always- in the Loser’s bracket early on in a tournament. Back during the Dibbz monthly, we saw how scary he can be when completely relaxed. His success in tournaments in the future will rely on him overcoming choking, and his lack of any other main. Characters: Lucas.

Ran – Spotty tournament attendance in the summer kept Ran from being much of a threat as everyone began to accelerate, yet after attending two HOBOs in a row [due to Lee’s insistence] as well as the local tournaments, Ran has finally begun to apply all of his knowledge/theory of the game in tournaments. Foolishly, Ran has often approached match ups that are hard for his main [Snake] due to the lack of a strong secondary. Will this change? Character: Snake.

Mid Tiers:
Eet
Everpower
Giovanni
FakeGeorge
Roni
Ricky
Testament

Low:
Battoussai
Bomber
Mura
Redson

I no doubt left some individuals out, I was going by memory. Chances are if you're in mid tier, you're either moving your way up the ranks of skill, you don't play enough, or you play a ****ty character. If you're Low, you tend to place poorly and continue to do the exact same things that cause you to lose over, and over again.

The main piece of advice I could give anyone is, if you are seeing the same results... Change the process that you go about doing things.

Sudai

Stuff here
If you're gonna go past the top 10, you need more separation than that, imo. Ran, be careful with some of your descriptions. It's not safe to assume things.

-Ran

Smash Master
I'm just writing my perception. Everyone knows I'm a nice guy and by no means am I trying to offend anyone. A lot of people are constantly rocking back and forth in skill levels, and a lot of people I only run into once every month or so. Some people are total beasts at their homes, but lay eggs at tournaments. Then there are people like Shreveport that I've only played ONCE. @.@ I'm absolutely confident of one thing.........Lee's position in Butthole tier. =p

If for some reason someone has/will take offense to what I've stated, then I apologize for you not getting into the 'spirit' of the power ranking discussion. During such things, regardless of what game, we need to be frank about our perceptions of each other. The Mid could probably use a Mid High, etc, but I lost steam in writing it.

Ever_Power

Smash Cadet
Now that power rankings have started things will take quite the turn on peoples attitudes....

and I think DJ has been to one tournament.....(dibbz) not sure how he's even considered "hi".

I should learn metaknight..............LOL

-Ran

Smash Master
DJ has gone to both New Orleans tournaments and placed well despite not competing in anything else for months.

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
I'm gonna have to ask you to wait a little longer for me, Take... My project work had to get completely redone pretty much all the way up until today, and I've got a presentation tomorrow at 8:40, but I have to be on campus for like 7... Which means I gotta go to bed now. If Ricky B. has internet this weekend I'll try and get 'em posted then. I apologize, school is not always the kindest to me. T_T

Wish me luck on my presentation tomorrow... I'm nervous as ****e. >.<

Top Bottom