• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
We can house most likely!
I think Okuser, Gunner, and Insomniac are coming. You could even meet them in Shreveport, carpool the rest of the way, and house with them or something~

:phone:

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Texas tournaments, you guys should try to make it out to this:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=330217
It's December 22nd in Houston. $10 dollar singles, $5 (per person) doubles, and no venue fee. (We might do Project M on the side too.) We're projecting at least 30 people and we're hoping to be able to pull 40 or 50 and run pools. We have Baka and Sung coming in from SoCal, most of Austin, Dallas, Plano, and maybe San Antonio already confirmed. It would be awesome if you guys could make it down, this tournament is going to be sick. (Maybe crew battles are in order? :D)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Speaking of Texas tournaments, you guys should try to make it out to this:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=330217
It's December 22nd in Houston. $10 dollar singles, $5 (per person) doubles, and no venue fee. (We might do Project M on the side too.) We're projecting at least 30 people and we're hoping to be able to pull 40 or 50 and run pools. We have Baka and Sung coming in from SoCal, most of Austin, Dallas, Plano, and maybe San Antonio already confirmed. It would be awesome if you guys could make it down, this tournament is going to be sick. (Maybe crew battles are in order? :D)

Get confirmed at least 30 people and we'll consider it.

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
I've counted 28 people that have confirmed either on Facebook, on smashboards, or in person. That's not counting people who I haven't heard from that I am fairly sure will be there like a bunch of UT Austin people who will be in Houston for the holidays, Rice people, etc.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Melee players go to that and my tourney is having Melee singles so come practice at my tourney this weekend!

Don't worry I'm confirmed to have more entrants than Ascension 4:/

D

Deleted member

houstin is 2 hours closer to me, also much more likely to have skilled players. (or at least more of them) meaning houston is unlikely, but tyler is not happening at all. im trying to find out if arc is going and if so my chances of going to houston will go up a bit. also slightly late notice.

and facebook confirmation is a joke. we've had like 40+ confirm and like 15 show up. im not hating on your community, but the entire smash community as a whole. people are gay.

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
Not a Facebook event. Houston uses a Facebook group as our primary mode of communication and the people I've counted on facebook I have confirmed with in person. I'm pretty confident we're going to have a good turnout and it would be great if we could add Louisiana to the hype. We're going to have a bunch of good players.

D

Deleted member

the irony is its easier to get me personally to go to a tournament oos if you can convince me that a decent number of good players will be there. theres no point in requesting off work for a 6 man local tournament when i could have made $150 at work vs the $13 i will make at the tournament. and theres no one good to play against locally. i dont mean that offensively but no one has drive to get better. lee is the only person with a chance to beat me, and tournaments are fun when he goes because its actually exciting who will win either way. despite that no one has a drive to beat me. i play against freddy and tim all the time and freddy has basically given up. tournaments in la have lost their fun.

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
I can promise you that the competition at this tournament won't be a joke. For a lot of people, it's pre-Apex training, which I know for some is a big deal (especially for Mojo and Jake13 who made bracket at FC and hope to do even better at Apex). Even if people's word doesn't mean much to you guys, I trust my scene to show up especially with the amount of hype that we've been building internally.

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
the irony is its easier to get me personally to go to a tournament oos if you can convince me that a decent number of good players will be there. theres no point in requesting off work for a 6 man local tournament when i could have made $150 at work vs the $13 i will make at the tournament. and theres no one good to play against locally. i dont mean that offensively but no one has drive to get better. lee is the only person with a chance to beat me, and tournaments are fun when he goes because its actually exciting who will win either way. despite that no one has a drive to beat me. i play against freddy and tim all the time and freddy has basically given up. tournaments in la have lost their fun.
If I lived in BR, I would totally play Melee with you all the time. I want to be a lot better, but 3+ hr drive for small tournaments is not going to happen anytime soon. I've been top in 64 for a long while now; I think it is still fun overall, but I sympathize in this scenario.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
For those of you that don't follow my twitter, I made bank earlier today, MM'ing Sync, Asa, shadow1pj, Kilik, and Maharba and won every single one, so winning $37, plus the $35 I made from winning doubles, I didn't do so bad this weekend! :)

Such weak-minded mentalities... I can't understand how one person can make the 6 hour drive to Houston, but NO ONE can make the simple drive to BR? And I should be depressed? I got to team with GNES, played ULTIMATE RAZER, beat PWII, won MM's, got good experience and practice overall over the course of just two days! What did you guys do to get better this weekend? Play LOL?

I think we need a change of scene, as in possibly ditching BR's Laser Tag and looking at a new venue, especially in NOLA. As much as I would like to host my own smashfests and tournies, I have too much on my plate to do so, nor do I have my own place I can invite people to practice. We can't mention Dibbz anymore, because they no longer allow people to bring their own TV's. I can search around and see what I can find in my area (like NO's Laser Tag) to host something, but I won't have the time to do all of the groundwork, like advertisement.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to APEX yet, but I'm still keeping the thought in the back of my head. No one got APEX points because there had to be at least 32 entrants. Hopefully if I do go, I won't be considered a no-name Wario from LA this time.

/lifeupdate

D

Deleted member

yeah, edgar and jake are legit players and they were cool guys too. i dont doubt that houston's best would be there. the melee community has just gotten old and now has responsibilities. 7 years ago i would jump at the chance to go play 2 players that were, at the least, as good as me. but if i take off a weekend it costs me about $300. and im not some stuck up ***** that puts money before everything, because i would love to go hang out and have an awesome time. i just have to put serious thought into being able to afford it, who could come with me, and if it would be worth it in general. did i just got off the facebook with arc though and he says hes going for sure so thats cool!

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
Dude, I totally understand that. You have to make the decision that's right for you. If its night possible/financially feasible for you to make then I understand, but I really hope you and the rest of LA can make it out.

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
I think we need a change of scene, as in possibly ditching BR's Laser Tag and looking at a new venue, especially in NOLA. As much as I would like to host my own smashfests and tournies, I have too much on my plate to do so, nor do I have my own place I can invite people to practice. We can't mention Dibbz anymore, because they no longer allow people to bring their own TV's. I can search around and see what I can find in my area (like NO's Laser Tag) to host something, but I won't have the time to do all of the groundwork, like advertisement.

/lifeupdate
We at Smashcon have been talking with a Brawl player named Atticus about having a NO event. We found a place called "1 up Cards"(I think) and we've been talking with them about an event. Atticus has just been to busy lately to follow up with them. If you'd like to help Jniq just contact Erick about it when you have the time.

×MÁR× the best diddy

Smash Apprentice
For those of you that don't follow my twitter, I made bank earlier today, MM'ing Sync, Asa, shadow1pj, Kilik, and Maharba and won every single one, so winning $37, plus the $35 I made from winning doubles, I didn't do so bad this weekend! :)

Such weak-minded mentalities... I can't understand how one person can make the 6 hour drive to Houston, but NO ONE can make the simple drive to BR? And I should be depressed? I got to team with GNES, played ULTIMATE RAZER, beat PWII, won MM's, got good experience and practice overall over the course of just two days! What did you guys do to get better this weekend? Play LOL?

I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to APEX yet, but I'm still keeping the thought in the back of my head. No one got APEX points because there had to be at least 32 entrants. Hopefully if I do go, I won't be considered a no-name Wario from LA this time.

/lifeupdate
good stuff dude wish I coulda came /;

-Ran

Smash Master
Small local tournaments = Bad.
Small OOS tournaments = Good.

Two extra hours of playing someone you know locally won't do much for your skill level since you've already played those players for years; however, playing players from another talent pool for that amount of time can lead to significant gains. You can't follow a recipe to win against them. On the same token, it pays to go if you aren't a good player, since you can watch your nemesis lose to players.

Maybe you might learn something?

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
We at Smashcon have been talking with a Brawl player named Atticus about having a NO event. We found a place called "1 up Cards"(I think) and we've been talking with them about an event. Atticus has just been to busy lately to follow up with them. If you'd like to help Jniq just contact Erick about it when you have the time.
I thought you were Erick

SUNG666

Smash Ace
LA, CA (Glendale) Hook me up if ya wanna smash
Houston melee tournament is going to be sick and filled with competition. All that matters is your drive, if you want to get better and prove yourself then you should go but if not then by all means stay. As a small incentive I'll do a one sided $20 MM with any of yall best of 5 and if you can beat me you can take the 20 but if I win you don't have to give me anything. Hope to see yall there :]

D

Deleted member

even if youre pro as **** or just confident that you can beat the swamp people, thats a cool offer. some might find it condescending but i just look at it as a cool extra incentive to draw people in with more love. and even if they are a damn good player and they lose (assuming youre awesome?) then they got a serious set out of a pro for free. win, win right?

all that aside, i dont want to take your money. but ima see what happens in the next week about me coming. ima try to bring the only other person who is decent and i could spend 4 hours in a car with

Bomber7

Smash Hero

/lifeupdate
Good stuff Justin!

Also that indirect call-out.

Turazrok

Smash Master
even if youre pro as **** or just confident that you can beat the swamp people, thats a cool offer. some might find it condescending but i just look at it as a cool extra incentive to draw people in with more love. and even if they are a damn good player and they lose (assuming youre awesome?) then they got a serious set out of a pro for free. win, win right?

all that aside, i dont want to take your money. but ima see what happens in the next week about me coming. ima try to bring the only other person who is decent and i could spend 4 hours in a car with
Aw thanks Taylor.

Top Bottom