• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
Tura is hardly qualified to post the answers he is. "Competitive bot balancing is at its worst, corki or ezreal" wrong, look at IPL 5, over 66 champs were used in it, and not to mention twitch draven and ashe. I for on think Riot has evolved into a good company given how fkn fast they grew. 66 champs out of 100 or so is not bad at a competitive level. There will always be champs more powerful than others, you can never completely balance a game like this.

On your comments about new champs being better than old... Ashe played a **** ton by Genja this tourney. Yes, Riot is BUSINESS trying to make money, there are going to be subtle pyschological tactics in their product so that they can make money. Deal with it. I've only spent about $20 on this game, and I'm glad I did because I want to support Riot. Not to mention free HD streams and a free game I've logged thousands of hours on. Tura go home don't talk pull **** out of your *** because of your ****ty perception of the meta/riot as a company. Really obvious that he hasn't played/paid attention to the scene at all.

Turazrok

Smash Master
ESO I never said, I don't like LoL or that I don't support them, and I have probably played longer that you at that. But please get buttmad and attack me personally. Or you can be a big boy and pm me about it or something if you're going to be crass. At least ryker wasn't a child about it and had valid points other than qq ur dumb

:phone:

D

Deleted member

so you won $5000 dollars in a tournament? you should probably give me that $5 you owe me then

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
ESO I never said, I don't like LoL or that I don't support them, and I have probably played longer that you at that. But please get buttmad and attack me personally. Or you can be a big boy and pm me about it or something if you're going to be crass. At least ryker wasn't a child about it and had valid points other than qq ur dumb

I had valid points, I didn't say you were dumb. I just said what you were saying was unfounded. I mean how long you've been playing really doesn't matter in the argument. I didn't attack you personally, I just said you were unqualified to post about the meta (you are hardly ever on anymore) and that what you said was not based on any facts. I don't think you're dumb, you're more articulate than most actually, I just don't think that you know what you were talking about.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
only 20
pssht
free for life. never spendin a dime on that game. unless I make money off it, thats the only way Ill allow myself to do it.

and sudai **** dominion u srs? worst map ever omg. twisted treelines my **** tho.

Sudai

Stuff here
I'll do some treeline. Basically anything that's not SR lol.

I'm with you on the free for life bit. Been playing since like a month after Open Beta started. $0.00 put in to the game. Though I did get my little brother and step-dad interested in the game and they spent >$50 total so that's my contribution to RIOT. lol

stingers

Smash Obsessed
nice =D you're the only person ive found that will even play tt...everyones always over SRs **** -,- tt is such a blast though, its like melee compared to SR being brawl lol. fast paced and fun, even if there are less viable options... i play often so you will get hit up often =p

D

Deleted member

comparing tt to sr should have melee no where in it lol. in the grand scheme of things league is an "easy" game. i hope i get attacked for that one.

also ive spent $25 on the game. but $5 was a donation to the tsunami relief **** in japan that i got a skin for. so really, $20 on a game ive been playing like 4 years? not bad at all.

D

Deleted member

tech skill

melee is to starcraft 2 as brawl is to league of legends

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
[collapse=Just posting my thoughts on the happenings since I was last here.]
For those of you that don't follow my twitter, I made bank earlier today, MM'ing Sync, Asa, shadow1pj, Kilik, and Maharba and won every single one, so winning $37, plus the $35 I made from winning doubles, I didn't do so bad this weekend! :)

Such weak-minded mentalities... I can't understand how one person can make the 6 hour drive to Houston, but NO ONE can make the simple drive to BR? And I should be depressed? I got to team with GNES, played ULTIMATE RAZER, beat PWII, won MM's, got good experience and practice overall over the course of just two days! What did you guys do to get better this weekend? Play LOL?

I think we need a change of scene, as in possibly ditching BR's Laser Tag and looking at a new venue, especially in NOLA. As much as I would like to host my own smashfests and tournies, I have too much on my plate to do so, nor do I have my own place I can invite people to practice. We can't mention Dibbz anymore, because they no longer allow people to bring their own TV's. I can search around and see what I can find in my area (like NO's Laser Tag) to host something, but I won't have the time to do all of the groundwork, like advertisement.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to APEX yet, but I'm still keeping the thought in the back of my head. No one got APEX points because there had to be at least 32 entrants. Hopefully if I do go, I won't be considered a no-name Wario from LA this time.

/lifeupdate
That's legit. Don't ditch BR's Laser Tag. Having BR monthies is good. Add monthlies in Nola though. That way you can produce a scene in both cities that overlap with people who like to and can travel.

I've decided that I'll go to Tyler, but as to when I'm leaving depends on when I work on Friday. If I work in the morning, if it's alright with yall, I'd like to stay the night in Shreveport. If I work at night, I'll just make the long drive in the morning.

Also, I've decided to go to APEX. Registering and booking my flight right now.
**** Yeah.

riot is probably one of the most fan pleasing and hard working companies out there. as they should be, seeing as how they stumbled upon the most popular game in the world. but still, props to them for delivering. this new patch might bring me back into playing LoL for real.

but the community is still worse than terrible.
I am very excited about all the new S3 items. Can't wait to be done with exams so I can try it.

Quick question:

Which do you think is better? A low-cost tourney or a higher-cost one? (Example: $5 entry vs $15). This is, of course, assuming that the pay-outs are determined by the entry fees going toward the pot.

Do you think, given significant advanced notice (like maybe 2-3 months in advance) that players, both casual and professional, would want to enter? Or do you think the high-price would be too much of a turn-off? Do you think it would be better to have significant advanced notice on a cheap tourney?

Or maybe a balance between the two, like a $10 entry?
Like Mr. G&W said, if you want turnout, you need big money to pull in big names. Big names pull in more people.
Depends solely on the tourney.

My tourneys have all been $5 entry fee. Why? Only 17 entrants past 2 times, and mostly scrubs at my tourneys.
No need for big bucks.

However, if my tourneys brought in about ~30 players a day, and they were mostly competitive, I'd do $10 entry.

If we had a regional, I'd go for $15. National, $20 max.

Edit: so what I'm saying is, new players barely want to spend $5 on a tourney.
Pros prefer higher buy ins/bigger pot.
$20 is the biggest I would suggest for a HUGE tournament, yeah.

Tura, like I said, they make things fun for the -casual- player. You're talking about things being competitively viable which just doesn't matter for casuals. You mention Annie and while I love Annie, the majority of the players probably wouldn't like that play style because she doesn't have a gap closer. The only 'balancing' they do for competitive players is to make sure no one is completely OP. They do the bare minimum for the competitive scene so it looks like they have a competitive scene to draw in more casuals. Notice the vast majority of their balance changes are to make it so casuals don't flip out about ****.

Also, notice Taylor said 'fan pleasing.' That means they listen to the casuals because casuals far outweigh 'pros' as a player base. Fun for you doesn't necessarily mean fun for the majority of players.

All that being said, you could always fall back on the argument that they make things fun because they have to if they want to make money. No one's going to spend money on a free game that isn't fun, but that doesn't change the fact that they are pleasing the fans and making things fun for them.

As for IP cost and gains? I play enough to get FWotD and maybe 200 more IP a day at most and I still have enough IP to get a new 6300 IP champ every 3ish weeks. That's plenty.
Sudai, you still play? Don't forget, you got free IP for referring Turaz and I... LOL

[collapse=RYKER, WHY]
The ****? Why would you buff Annie? She was incredibly good for an incredibly long time and she is still very solid. Her biggest problem is that the mid lane currently has very strong characters on every end of the spectrum that cause most of the generalist APs to suffer.

In a fight, Annie is a generalist with a focus on high CD burst/lockdown while maintaining utility past that point with her short range AoE stun, longer ranged single target, and respectable sustained damage from her average cooldown Q/W and Tibbers aura/attacks.

In lane, Annie is okay. She is not a lane focused character, but being a generalist, she has abilities to let her cope with it (that used to make her incredibly good until the lane bullying mids started to come out) in her average cost spells for harass/farm, Q's mana return allowing for mana management as a significant form of sustain and as a farming tool, her amazing auto attack by mid lane standards (she used to have more range than anyone in the game but level 15+ Trist and, I THINK, Ashe and that range is still significant) that lets her last hit creeps and harass champions, and her shield that turns mid lane AA trades in her favor for most match-ups.

She doesn't NEED a buff. She needs two things. First, for Diana to be nerfed (that ***** is a bad influence on the game right now because she absolutely invalidates a lot of mids like Annie without having any real drawback for picking her like Leblanc or other similar characters do). Second, to be played by a big name team or popular streamer and she'll suddenly be FotM. After that dies down, she'll be around for months to come.

How would you buff her without pushing her into stupidity? Would you rework her and ignore the players who enjoy her kit and have been playing her since before release?

Now, I love to ***** about Riot, but, for the most part, they do their job well. I don't think I've ever been mad at a rework they've done (I play Kat, Garen, and Eve), even if I don't think they went far enough with Twitch. The balancing changes you hear people complain about are the only ones you hear about. You never hear people compliment the way they toned down Ezreal to acceptable level or bumped MF up to viability because you never hear anything positive. You will always hear QQ instead of support unless you actively search for it and even then, you quickly forget about it because the things that effect you are the things that oppress you.

As for their pricing scheme? It works. That doesn't make them money worshiping demon-summoners (like MK players). It's how they get the revenue to continue doing the things I like them doing (in addition to continuing upkeep of the game, stuff like holding large events, continuing to give people content, supporting those who support the game, and expanding their staff to include employees from the player base who have a passion for the game and want to see it done right). Skins are a completely peripheral luxury. As long as they make them well, I don't care what Riot wants. I'll pay for my name-brand Ezreal if that's what I want to be seen wearing.

No offense to Okuser, but Mogwai is kinda the best possible man they could've hired. Qualified, passionate, and one of the most knowleagable people I've ever met in addition to being an outstanding person to represent you and being able to present his stances well.

Don't mind my soapbox. I'm bored at work.

EDIT:

Barely keeping the competitive scene alive isn't quite fair either. The metagame has a lot of viable options and is pretty deep in its own right from picks and bans onward. You can say DotA is deeper, but they have less defined role assignments and whether that is better or not is up to preference. Both games have their fair share of champs you ought not be playing in a serious match.

Past that, they put the time, money, and publicity into making their events a success. There are some sacrifices made to casuals (such as nerfs targeting pubstompers and any time ever spent on developing 3s or Dominion), but that's part of any game. I don't see where the hate for how they treat the competitive scene comes from.
[/collapse]

But you're right, you know...

let's agree that you both can be gay sometimes.
Teehee

I'm like... the Lee Martin of LoL.

just my high thought
LMAO

comparing tt to sr should have melee no where in it lol. in the grand scheme of things league is an "easy" game. i hope i get attacked for that one.

also ive spent $25 on the game. but $5 was a donation to the tsunami relief **** in japan that i got a skin for. so really, $20 on a game ive been playing like 4 years? not bad at all.
Only $20? Oh god... I have a problem...[/collapse]

It seems like the thread has been pretty active in the past few days.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Ah, gotcha. If I see you on, I might jump into an ARAM with you. I enjoy those.

What's your username again?

baka4moé

Smash Champion
I hope to see Louisiana melee at the Houston tourney in a couple weeks! It's always a pleasure playing new people, and I've yet to play anyone from LA.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I hope to see Louisiana melee at the Houston tourney in a couple weeks! It's always a pleasure playing new people, and I've yet to play anyone from LA.
I work til 4:15 on Friday, so I'll probably eat after i get off work,pack, then head to yalls place. What's the address?

...he said Melee, JNig.

You play Melee?

Okuser

Smash Ace
You're best bet is probably staying with insomniiac if its ok with him.

Otherwise you'll have to go 1 hour east to stay with me.

I was thinking we could all smash Friday at whoevers place.

Top Bottom