• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
True, I guess those are side effects. I doubt Thanos was intending it, but that would happen.
well that was kinda the point of that version of the character a guy with a plan he hadn’t really thought which was probably just an excuse to kill a whole lot of people

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
For what it's worth, nostalgia also factors into what people keep expecting from rival characters. The rivals in the first two generations were straight up antagonists with little depth (Silver's backstory wasn't a thing until HGSS), but that was what a lot of people grew up with, so they latched onto that. Any rivals since are judged not just on how well they are as characters, but how well they match that nostalgia. It takes something truly extraordinary (like N and his whole setup) to break through that.

In that way, one reason why Bede didn't catch on as well despite being a jerk rival is because he has depth and isn't just some smug sonuvabitch you want to beat. Kind of concerning, really.

Even if Zacian was one of the fastest fighters, I doubt this event hurts it. Back in October, we had a lightweight online tourney that featured characters just as light as Sephiroth. I'd assume F9 will have a similar gap of time as that tourney and Sephiroth.
Oh yeah, I actually completely forgot about the featherweight tournament. Okay, that means the upcoming speedster tournament or any future ones do not tell us anything about who will not be next.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
For what it's worth, nostalgia also factors into what people keep expecting from rival characters. The rivals in the first two generations were straight up antagonists with little depth (Silver's backstory wasn't a thing until HGSS), but that was what a lot of people grew up with, so they latched onto that. Any rivals since are judged not just on how well they are as characters, but how well they match that nostalgia. It takes something truly extraordinary (like N and his whole setup) to break through that.

In that way, one reason why Bede didn't catch on as well despite being a jerk rival is because he has depth and isn't just some smug sonuvabitch you want to beat. Kind of concerning, really.

Oh yeah, I actually completely forgot about the featherweight tournament. Okay, that means the upcoming speedster tournament or any future ones do not tell us anything about who will not be next.
nostalgia ruins everything

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

The only tourneys that relate to DLC are the ones that come immediately after a release.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
On that note...if Zacian and/or Zamazenta did get in, what theme do you think the accompanying tournament would have?

Noipoi

Howdy!
On that note...if Zacian and/or Zamazenta did get in, what theme do you think the accompanying tournament would have?
They could do a general “Pokémon” or “non-human fighters” tournament, though I’m 98% sure they’ve been done already. The same could be said for a swords only tournament.

This is kind’ve out there, but what if the theme was Dynamax? Super Mushrooms would spawn frequently, ensuring the fighters spend most of the match super sized.

I dunno, just spit ballin here.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Blue-haired anime swordfighters.

They'd probably be more straightforward with the theme and do a Pokémon or swordfighter/characters with shields tournament. I guess they could so something a little more unorthodox like a canine theme (Fox, Lucario, Wolf, Duck Hunt, and Isabelle), or maybe a tournament that only allows sword and shield-like items to spawn.

Ridley64

Smash Journeyman
Blue-haired anime swordfighters.

They'd probably be more straightforward with the theme and do a Pokémon or swordfighter/characters with shields tournament. I guess they could so something a little more unorthodox like a canine theme (Fox, Lucario, Wolf, Duck Hunt, and Isabelle), or maybe a tournament that only allows sword and shield-like items to spawn.
Or a predator tournament?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
New Masters data mine with Galar stuff
Piers is coming
View attachment 300609
and Dawns getting a Valentines alt with Alcreamie
View attachment 300610
Strange follow-up to Gloria and Zacian, but he's pretty popular I suppose.

I'm just glad they went with Obstagoon. There's really no other option when you have a hairstyle like that.

Staarih

Smash Master
New Masters data mine with Galar stuff
Piers is coming
View attachment 300609
and Dawns getting a Valentines alt with Alcreamie
View attachment 300610
Cool to have more Galar stuff in the game. They're developing a Dynamax mechanic too based on the devs' latest news letter but that likely comes out much later.

I was expecting Alcremie to go with Opal as that's her ace but Masters keeps on being weird with the pairings.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Main reason why I'm not stoked about Goh catching it is because he's likely never going to do anything with it.

Goh isn't terrible, but he's one of my least favorite traveling companions to date simply because of how much favoritism he's gotten in such a short amount of time. Possibly getting all three starters, appearing in episodes without Ash, having a personality that's not really all that memorable compared to previous male characters like Brock, Cilan, Clemont, or Kiawe: it's several things. Also doesn't help that he's a rookie trainer who's been awarded several insanely strong Pokémon who fans would've loved to have seen Ash catch and use in battle.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Main reason why I'm not stoked about Goh catching it is because he's likely never going to do anything with it.

Goh isn't terrible, but he's one of my least favorite traveling companions to date simply because of how much favoritism he's gotten in such a short amount of time. Possibly getting all three starters, appearing in episodes without Ash, having a personality that's not really all that memorable compared to previous male characters like Brock, Cilan, Clemont, or Kiawe: it's several things. Also doesn't help that he's a rookie trainer who's been awarded several insanely strong Pokémon who fans would've loved to have seen Ash catch and use in battle.
that pretty much sums up my feelings

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I dunno, I'm not bothered by this. I get Go isn't that interesting of a character, but it was expected for me. There's a crap ton of legendaries that currently exist (plus more with future gens), so one being caught by him is not a big deal. Plus it's in his interests to catch all pokemon eventually, I was expecting him to catch a few at this point. And tbh, I feel the way they've been writing his goal makes me believe he might not leave the anime after Journeys, whether it's a good or bad thing.

As for Ash not getting some pokemon, it doesn't really matter much since he tends to favor Pikachu & Lucario anyways, leaving Dragonite, Gengar, Dracovish & Farfetch'd in the dust. Heck there's been plenty of episodes where it would've helped to have all 6 pokemon rather than just Pikachu & Lucario. It's not like he's avidly looking to catch new pokemon anyways.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I dunno, I'm not bothered by this. I get Go isn't that interesting of a character, but it's like whatever (I watch the anime for the pokemon, don't really care that much for the human characters). There's a crap ton of legendaries that currently exist (plus more with future gens), so one being caught by him is not a big deal. Plus it's in his interests to catch all pokemon eventually, I was expecting him to catch a few at this point. And tbh, I feel the way they've been writing his goal makes me believe he might not leave the anime after Journeys, whether it's a good or bad thing.

As for Ash not getting some pokemon, it doesn't really matter much since he tends to favor Pikachu & Lucario anyways, leaving Dragonite, Gengar, Dracovish & Farfetch'd in the dust. Heck there's been plenty of episodes where it would've helped to have all 6 pokemon rather than just Pikachu & Lucario. It's not like he's avidly looking to catch new pokemon anyways.
Well, that's another complaint I have for this series. We transitioned from a series that gave the most attention to individual Pokémon to a series that's given the least amount. What's the point in giving Ash a Dragonite if it's only purpose is to either occasionally be used in a battle or hug a random character? Not saying it needs an entire arc like Incineroar or Lycanroc, but it'd be nice if it went on adventures more often and brought something to the plot.

But I digress. To be honest, I haven't been enjoying this series as much as previous ones. I guess it's because there's not really a streamlined plot and a clear sense of progression.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Well, that's another complaint I have for this series. We transitioned from a series that gave the most attention to individual Pokémon to a series that's given the least amount. What's the point in giving Ash a Dragonite if it's only purpose is to either occasionally be used in a battle or hug a random character? Not saying it needs an entire arc like Incineroar or Lycanroc, but it'd be nice if it went on adventures more often and brought something to the plot.

But I digress. To be honest, I haven't been enjoying this series as much as previous ones. I guess it's because there's not really a streamlined plot and a clear sense of progression.
I feel this series could be a lot more, but they either don't know how to progress the story or are holding back for some reason. Most episodes can easily be skipped without missing out on much (something like seeing what other older characters are doing without the need of Ash & Go being there wuld be nice, people are interested in the others). But I think a reason is that they wanted this series to be as episodic as possible, which explains the severe lack of multi-episode arcs (Ash going back to Alola could've been better had it been 2 episodes like in the Sun/Moon anime when they went back to Kanto). At least I hope it starts to actually pick up soon before we get to later in the year and especially next year.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
getting rid of kukui seems like a real boone to me

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace

I'm just glad they went with Obstagoon. There's really no other option when you have a hairstyle like that.
It's probably because he can't use Dynamax, much like Zacian. I could see us get either Hop or the Male trainer with Zamazenta if we get another Galar trainer before they add Dynamax

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

...Hm. They've teased the Dynamax mechanic being added later, right? Interesting then that our first two pairs from Galar are Gloria (with Zacian, who can't Dynamax) and Piers (who refuses to out of principle).

Unsure if that directly affected who they have going first, but-

It's probably because he can't use Dynamax, much like Zacian. I could see us get either Hop or the Male trainer with Zamazenta if we get another Galar trainer before they add Dynamax
...Apparently I'm not the only one who noticed.

zacian

Smash Apprentice
...Hm. They've teased the Dynamax mechanic being added later, right? Interesting then that our first two pairs from Galar are Gloria (with Zacian, who can't Dynamax) and Piers (who refuses to out of principle).
They said Dynamax will come out around the 2nd anniversary, which is in August, so it’s gonna be a while

they also mentioned there’s gonna be a special new pair for the half anni, but who knows if that’ll be a Galar character or not

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
To be fair, they should probably be seeing the spirit event as a positive if anything but the sentiment the spirit event means something against its favour isn't shared here, albeit my disagreement.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
We're approaching the month of anniversaries for Pokemon & Zelda. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for any new Zelda announcements since Zelda Day hits 6 days before Pokemon day (and we'll likely get the juicy pokemon announcements on Pokemon day). And looking back on last year, I'm left confused as to why the popularty poll wasn't done this year rather than in 2020. Seemed like the type of thing they'd save for an anniversary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom