• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
which part of not spending time and resources to appeal to one of the smaller parts of the market is not rational?
You could say the same thing for the trick house but that still made it into the remake. Fewer people know about the trick house than the Battle Frontier.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You could say the same thing for the trick house but that still made it into the remake. Fewer people know about the trick house than the Battle Frontier.
well the trick house was in the original R&S which what they were remaking rather than emerald. i mean that argument could probably spread to a number of things but that doesnt prove that they should either have included something or not. really it has no baring here

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Speaking of cut things from ORAS, rip the Safari Zone.
Who truly liked the old luck-based Safari Zones anyway? 3rd gen was even worse in forcing you to make your own, invisible nature-reliant bait.

I can only see them positively as a "love to rage" thing, or clinging to any form of difficulty, even if it's fake.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Who truly liked the old luck-based Safari Zones anyway? 3rd gen was even worse in forcing you to make your own, invisible nature-reliant bait.

I can only see them positively as a "love to rage" thing, or clinging to any form of difficulty, even if it's fake.
I loved those things. One of the features I absolutely loved from Gen 3. It needed some improvements yes, but it was fun nonetheless.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Even though I love the Safari Zone... agreed. The spawns were lackluster 3/4 of the time, it was annoying to navigate, empty of interesting items, mud, and all the things exclusive to there had high flee rates.
I don’t even remember there being any exclusives. Although that may be due to it being a good while a go now.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
In other news, another tournament was announced last night:

A literally fast-pased contest featuring the 16 fastest runners in the game. The question now is: Does the fact that this is happening now hurt us at all?

I'm leaning toward "probably not". We're at least two months away from the next newcomer's update, probably closer to three. And while Zacian has extremely high base speed, it doesn't define her as much as other traits do (and if Zamazenta is also involved, he has good base speed but would probably have middling mobility in Smash). It doesn't hurt our chances for Fighter #9 any more than it does Cinderace or Inteleon, at least.

Kids don't have the attention span to bother with something like a battle frontier. That only like 1-2% of players would make the most of the battle frontier, so they don't see it worth working on.
That was what I heard. They had reason to believe not many people actually bothered with all of the Battle Frontier, and it reached a point where the time and effort required to develop it was better spent on other things. I've noticed that starting around Gen 6, postgames have been geared more toward pointing players in the direction of competitive play and giving them the tools they need to participate.

Still, some kind of extra content would be nice. Is there something that would be engaging to more players?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
In other news, another tournament was announced last night:

A literally fast-pased contest featuring the 16 fastest runners in the game. The question now is: Does the fact hat this is happening now hurt us at all?

I'm leaning toward "probably not". We're at least two months away from the next newcomer's update, probably closer to three. And while Zacian has extremely high base speed, it doesn't define her as much as other traits do (and if Zamazenta is also involved, he has good base speed but would probably have middling mobility in Smash). It doesn't hurt our chances for Fighter #9 any more than it does Cinderace or Inteleon, at least.
Even if Zacian was one of the fastest fighters, I doubt this event hurts it. Back in October, we had a lightweight online tourney that featured characters just as light as Sephiroth. I'd assume F9 will have a similar gap of time as that tourney and Sephiroth.

If there were signs that this was an event that was supposed to happen much later and they skipped a few for some reason, then I might consider this to indicate that the next character wouldn't be extremely fast. Even then though, speed is something that's hard to predict. Sakurai could probably get away with giving Zacian just about any speed.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
My question is how long will the gap be between announcement of F9 and it's presentation/release. The last few characters have had their reveals quite close to their respective presentation and even release. Maybe we could expect F9 to be revealed in early March and then get the presentation like a week later, since I really don't expect we'll get any major smash related news in February.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
that seems dumb. although that may explain all those memes that suggest being a bully is a good thing
There's a reason many still love to hate Blue in the Kanto games: it evokes being competitive. Having a rival that annoys you is one way to incentivise wanting to beat that rival even more (and feeling good about it) vs feeling bad about defeating a friendly rival (Bianca, Shauna, Hau, Hop, Marnie).
Rivals are in a way villains and one type of character for these is the kind you enjoy "hating". But another reason people like jerk characters is that they associate them with a sad character flaw (sad backstory, insecurities), and therefore feel bad about the jerk character. In Bede's case he came from poverty and was given privilage from Rose, only to have it be taken away (and then Opal happened).

Of course this rarely has anything to do in real life.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I still think it's funny how people begged for a rival who wasn't obnoxiously friendly and supportive.

Then when we get Bede, most people don't feel very strongly about him one way or another. They stan Marnie and despise Hop, two friendly and supportive rivals.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I still think it's funny how people begged for a rival who wasn't obnoxiously friendly and supportive.

Then when we get Bede, most people don't feel very strongly about him one way or another. They stan Marnie and despise Hop, two friendly and supportive rivals.
I do feel they could've done more with Bede & Marnie. Hop was unfairly hated only because of his "similarities" with Hau, and he's the only one with actual growth & a story arc.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I do feel they could've done more with Bede & Marnire. Hop was unfairly hated only because of his "similarities" with Hau.
I think that's mostly because they had a lot of characters they wanted to incorporate into the game, all while trying to keep things less story driven like SuMo. Between Hop, Sonia, Rose, and these two, it was probably difficult to give equal attention to everyone.

I think they did okay. Could be better, but at least both actually have a purpose beyond randomly battling you during your adventure. Bede serves as the groundwork for Rose's plot, while Marnie serves as the motive for Team Yell's behavior.

zacian

Smash Apprentice
The biggest shock to me is Kabu getting fifth. Seems like he's one of the gym leaders people forget more easily.
I actually saw somewhere that Kabu got first place in a poll for the top 100 fictional men in japan, which is really funny to me

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There's a reason many still love to hate Blue in the Kanto games: it evokes being competitive. Having a rival that annoys you is one way to incentivise wanting to beat that rival even more (and feeling good about it) vs feeling bad about defeating a friendly rival (Bianca, Shauna, Hau, Hop, Marnie).
Rivals are in a way villains and one type of character for these is the kind you enjoy "hating". But another reason people like jerk characters is that they associate them with a sad character flaw (sad backstory, insecurities), and therefore feel bad about the jerk character. In Bede's case he came from poverty and was given privilage from Rose, only to have it be taken away (and then Opal happened).

Of course this rarely has anything to do in real life.
see that just makes no sense to me. how can you like a jerk and how can you love to hate someone? just doesnt make any sense

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
see that just makes no sense to me. how can you like a jerk and how can you love to hate someone? just doesnt make any sense
It's not easy to explain. Each person thinks differently and some like to make their own narrative of the Jerk character, indirectly making people feel sympathy for the Jerk (since in fiction they often give a reason for the character being a Jerk: sad backstory, insecurity, frustration, trauma, etc.). Of course it doesn't excuse the things the Jerk has done, but many choose to look past that because it's fiction. This is the main reason why there's plenty of Revali fans.

For the loving to hate someone it's more along the lines of "enjoying seeing someone detestable annoy you (or doing terrible things with charisma), only to get you motivated and ultimately give you total satifaction when proving them wrong/beating them". Or in cases of villains seeing them fail in the end is more satisfying.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's not easy to explain. Each person thinks differently and some like to make their own narrative of the Jerk character, indirectly making people feel sympathy for the Jerk (since in fiction they often give a reason for the character being a Jerk: sad backstory, insecurity, frustration, trauma, etc.). Of course it doesn't excuse the things the Jerk has done, but many choose to look past that because it's fiction. This is the main reason why there's plenty of Revali fans.

For the loving to hate someone it's more along the lines of "enjoying seeing someone detestable annoy you (or doing terrible things with charisma), only to get you motivated and ultimately give you total satifaction when proving them wrong/beating them". Or in cases of villains seeing them fail in the end is more satisfying.
well i just dont understand how anyone can think like that

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
well i just dont understand how anyone can think like that
Just let it be, some things just don't make sense on the surface and are very complicated and time consuming to properly explain and understand. It's less about logic and more about emotions.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I'm gonna make a brief appearance just to say that people don't actually like evil characters because they actually agree with them (unless they do, go for it Thanos stans) but because they're some of the more complex characters and sometimes their no-goodness is just really fun. I'm gonna bet no Star Wars fans legit thinks Darth Vader has a point but he's got a cool design, a complex backstory and a killer personality. That's all there is to it really.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm gonna make a brief appearance just to say that people don't actually like evil characters because they actually agree with them (unless they do, go for it Thanos stans) but because they're some of the more complex characters and sometimes their no-goodness is just really fun. I'm gonna bet no Star Wars fans legit thinks Darth Vader has a point but he's got a cool design, a complex backstory and a killer personality. That's all there is to it really.
hold on there are people who agree with thanos' plan for genocide?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
1. Thanos wasn't committing genocide.
2. Yes
3. Its mainly cause of the reasoning behind it and his backstory again. The misguided types of characters are rather popular.
yes he was. Killing of 50% of all life would lead to many races dying out completely which is genocide

Top Bottom