• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If they do some type of Direct like they did with Mario, there's a small, small chance they could include something about a Smash character. Really just depends on whether or not they include information about other games outside the franchise that will celebrate.

Personally though, I'd expect a Smash reveal to be completely separate from the anniversary stuff, assuming they even have some type of special anniversary presentation prepared.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
True, we're reaching the month for this year's big Pokémon news. Whatever they have planned for 2021 and the 25th anniversary, the next few weeks are when we'll find out.

Though it remains to be seen if we learn anything before the actual anniversary on February 27th.

If they do some type of Direct like they did with Mario, there's a small, small chance they could include something about a Smash character. Really just depends on whether or not they include information about other games outside the franchise that will celebrate.

Personally though, I'd expect a Smash reveal to be completely separate from the anniversary stuff, assuming they even have some type of special anniversary presentation prepared.
Yeah, while it's possible, I wouldn't bet on a Smash reveal happening in a single-franchise presentation. Especially not if Sakurai gives us no reason to believe one will happen there--the Smash community hypes up the idea of a sudden reveal blindsiding everyone, but it seems the Smash team and Nintendo would rather people know when one is coming. This is DLC for a game, not the plot of a blockbuster film.

And looking back on last year, I'm left confused as to why the popularty poll wasn't done this year rather than in 2020. Seemed like the type of thing they'd save for an anniversary.
Unless...was the plan to run the poll last year so they'd have time to do something with it this year?

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
True, we're reaching the month for this year's big Pokémon news. Whatever they have planned for 2021 and the 25th anniversary, the next few weeks are when we'll find out.

Though it remains to be seen if we learn anything before the actual anniversary on February 27th.

Yeah, while it's possible, I wouldn't bet on a Smash reveal happening in a single-franchise presentation. Especially not if Sakurai gives us no reason to believe one will happen there--the Smash community hypes up the idea of a sudden reveal blindsiding everyone, but it seems the Smash team and Nintendo would rather people know when one is coming. This is DLC for a game, not the plot of a blockbuster film.

Unless...was the plan to run the poll last year so they'd have time to do something with it this year?
The only thing that comes to mind is which pokemon to give focus on in the anime/merch/tcg department (and maybe something else to do with a certain videogame... nah, likely not. Or maybe...).

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
The only thing that comes to mind is which pokemon to give focus on in the anime/merch/tcg department (and maybe something else to do with a certain videogame... nah, likely not. Or maybe...).
That's what I'm thinking, some kind of special merch line or something similar for the Top 30 on the list. Nothing too wild, but a part of the celebration that also features new mechandise of mons they're now 100% sure are popular enough to be worth the investment cost.

And hey, more Lycanroc merch would be a plus.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not sure if Zacian or Zamazenta will get much merch during the anniversary, but I do know that the Zacian plush has been listed as "unavailable" for several months now. Usually any listings that are marked as "unavailable" won't be restocked for a long time. Not sure how to interpret that, as Zacian has seemingly been a popular plush. Either they fear they won't be able to sell more, or they simply don't want to make any more for other reasons (future merch, other priorities, etc.).

Anywho, I doubt the poll will have a huge effect on Smash, if any effect at all. Sakurai might use the poll as a reference if he feels like he needs reassurance that people will like who he chooses, but I'd be shocked if we got Dragapult or Toxtricity solely because of that.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Not sure if Zacian or Zamazenta will get much merch during the anniversary, but I do know that the Zacian plush has been listed as "unavailable" for several months now. Usually any listings that are marked as "unavailable" won't be restocked for a long time. Not sure how to interpret that, as Zacian has seemingly been a popular plush. Either they fear they won't be able to sell more, or they simply don't want to make any more for other reasons (future merch, other priorities, etc.).

Anywho, I doubt the poll will have a huge effect on Smash, if any effect at all. Sakurai might use the poll as a reference if he feels like he needs reassurance that people will like who he chooses, but I'd be shocked if we got Dragapult or Toxtricity solely because of that.
Regardless it's unlikely we'd be told the exact reasons they pick a certain character. Sometimes they mention a few and other times they're oddly cryptic (not angry about it, but I still don't truly understand the "I wanted a wrestler type character" quote). We know for instance Bayonetta was picked for smash 4 WAY before the ballot had finished in october thanks to datamines, so she didn't win.

I do hope at least that we do get 1 solid reason for why Sakurai picks a pokemon other than the starters, if and when it happens, to hopefully get speculators to broaden their horizons a bit.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Another sales update. As of the end of last year, SwSh is now at 20.35 million. First Pokémon game since GS to sell over 20 million.

Considering how many times the fanbase has put it through the wringer, I'd say that's pretty impressive. Remains to be seen as to whether or not it can beat GS and clench #2, but the current numbers are still incredible.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Another sales update. As of the end of last year, SwSh is now at 20.35 million. First Pokémon game since GS to sell over 20 million.

Considering how many times the fanbase has put it through the winger, I'd say that's pretty impressive. Remains to be seen as to whether or not it can beat GS and clench #2, but the current numbers are still incredible.
number 3 is nothing to sneeze at either

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
It seems we are getting e3 this year, though in a digital form. It's be reasonable to expect fighter 10 to be shown there (most likely 3rd party).

I personally hope for fighter 9 that it ends up being out 1st party.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It seems we are getting e3 this year, though in a digital form. It's be reasonable to expect fighter 10 to be shown there (most likely 3rd party).

I personally hope for fighter 9 that it ends up being out 1st party.
Timing is in its favor. With the exception of Terry and Steve (with the latter being debatable thanks to COVID-19), all third-parties have been revealed at either E3 or TGAs.

The beginning of the year up to E3 is usually quiet for Nintendo, so just like Byleth and ARMS, I'd expect a first-party to be revealed at this time if they have one. After that, I'd guess it's F11 or bust.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I personally think from this point on its gonna be third parties until FP11, if there are any first parties that is.

But that’s just my idea, I could be wrong.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I personally think from this point on its gonna be third parties until FP11, if there are any first parties that is.

But that’s just my idea, I could be wrong.
As far as I know, no one saw Byleth or Min Min coming, so I was expecting for people to be sleeping on a 1st party at this point.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As far as I know, no one saw Byleth or Min Min coming, so I was expecting for people to be sleeping on a 1st party at this point.
im sure there were one or two people who saw byleth coming

as for min min, well after an arms character was confirmed the vast majority said min min iirc. of course you mean before that i assume so youre right there

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
TPC claims that there will be several new announcements on the week of the orginal games' anniversary, which will be the end of February.

I don't know if this means we're getting a Pokémon Direct or some type of special anniversary video presentation, but this might be something worth keeping an eye on. The end of February would be roughly two and a half months since Sephiroth, which is how much time had passed since Steve. Timing seems to line up.

Of course, there's a very good chance that everything will be limited to stuff that's directly related to Pokémon. TPC tends to separate its stuff from other Nintendo announcements. If that's the case, then Smash and other Nintendo games probably won't be brought up. We might get a teaser for Diamond and Pearl remakes though.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
TPC claims that there will be several new announcements on the week of the orginal games' anniversary, which will be the end of February.

I don't know if this means we're getting a Pokémon Direct or some type of special anniversary video presentation, but this might be something worth keeping an eye on. The end of February would be roughly two and a half months since Sephiroth, which is how much time had passed since Steve. Timing seems to line up.

Of course, there's a very good chance that everything will be limited to stuff that's directly related to Pokémon. TPC tends to separate its stuff from other Nintendo announcements. If that's the case, then Smash and other Nintendo games probably won't be brought up. We might get a teaser for Diamond and Pearl remakes though.
Kinda unrelated, but I remember seeing on the 20th anniversary page in their timeline of major releases (Video games, anime, movies, tcg) that they featured the smash games as part of that timeline, giving a short synopsis of each smash game on it's respective release year & month.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i think we could get an indirect part of the anniversary. say if we do get gen 4 remakes we could very well get a spirit event based on that

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
i think we could get an indirect part of the anniversary. say if we do get gen 4 remakes we could very well get a spirit event based on that
As in adding new spirits or just making sinnoh pokemon spirits more common?

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Adding new ones, dialga and palkia would most likely have new forms that’d work perfectly
I honestly think they'd add those around the games' actual launch, so people had the time to swallow them.

I'd think something like a Time & Space event would make more sense, or a Sinnoh only theme; using the already existing spirits in the game.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I honestly think they'd add those around the games' actual launch, so people had the time to swallow them.

I'd think something like a Time & Space event would make more sense, or a Sinnoh only theme; using the already existing spirits in the game.
yeah but a spirit event would happen around then wouldnt it? more often than not

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's up to interpretation. Maybe they're siblings, maybe they're rivals, maybe they're both, maybe they're neither.

All that we know for sure is that they're both royalty who aided past Galar kings in defending the region from Eternatus before they were put into a deep slumber.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
It's up to interpretation. Maybe they're siblings, maybe they're rivals, maybe they're both, maybe they're neither.

All that we know for sure is that they're both royalty who aided past Galar kings in defending the region from Eternatus before they were put into a deep slumber.
You know, I find it odd that they still make most Legendary pokemon genderless whenever said legendaries have a hinted or explicit gender (Solgaleo & Lunala are outright stated as Male & Female evolutions of Cosmog in their dex entries), especially since they can just lock pokemon to not breed at all (Male Battle Bond Greninja for example).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
heres an idea that may seem a little random. a friend of mine and i were discussing the likelyhood of somewhere down the line there may be pokemon that can be only got via crossbreeding. do you any of you think its something they might one day do?

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

I still think we shouldn't expect a reveal as part of the festivities. Nintendo likes to be upfront about when Smash reveals will happen, so unless they outright say to pay attention, we're best off expecting any Pokémon Day news to stay within the series.

The absolute most I could see is a repeat of what they did for ARMS: Saying "The next DLC fighter will be from Sword & Shield...but who?" and then leaving us hanging for a month-plus before the full reveal. But even that I wouldn't count on.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
heres an idea that may seem a little random. a friend of mine and i were discussing the likelyhood of somewhere down the line there may be pokemon that can be only got via crossbreeding. do you any of you think its something they might one day do?
Anything is possile at this point: evolve with a dark type on the party, while holding the system upside down, landing 3 critical hits, leveling up in a specific location after taking 49 damage, level up with an empty space in the party; the list goes on.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Anything is possile at this point: evolve with a dark type on the party, while holding the system upside down, landing 3 critical hits, leveling up in a specific location after taking 49 damage, level up with an empty space in the party; the list goes on.
or all of the above

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
A character reveal should be obvious, but I doubt the character will be released immediately after the Direct. Seems like we might have to wait for a Sakurai Presents.

Timing is intresting though. Next week is the Pokémon 25th anniversary week, so this would be a wonderful opportunity to reveal a Pokémon. We also have Monster Hunter Rise coming out next month (and I'm sure the Direct will cover it at some point), so that's something else I'd keep an eye on for F9; maybe F10 too since it's quite big in Japan.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Well then.

A surprise Nintendo Direct coming tomorrow, with a promise of some kind of Smash news. Looks like we'll (probably) be learning of Fighter #9 earlier than we thought, even if they (probably) won't be ready for at least another month.

With us potentially past the climactic midpoint Smash reveal cycles tend to have, and since we've seen more under-the-radar characters revealed in regular Directs (compared to E3 or The Game Awards), I'd say this is the best chance we've had yet. Not our only one, but it'd fit perfectly to get a SwSh character here. It could even tie into whatever happens for Pokémon Day by letting the folks at TPC mention a new 'mon coming to Smash.

How's everyone feeling? I'm pretty nervous, myself. Though I always gets this way before a Direct.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well then.

A surprise Nintendo Direct coming tomorrow, with a promise of some kind of Smash news. Looks like we'll (probably) be learning of Fighter #9 earlier than we thought, even if they (probably) won't be ready for at least another month.

With us potentially past the climactic midpoint Smash reveal cycles tend to have, and since we've seen more under-the-radar characters revealed in regular Directs (compared to E3 or The Game Awards), I'd say this is the best chance we've had yet. Not our only one, but it'd fit perfectly to get a SwSh character here. It could even tie into whatever happens for Pokémon Day by letting the folks at TPC mention a new 'mon coming to Smash.

How's everyone feeling? I'm pretty nervous, myself. Though I always gets this way before a Direct.
What is the point of that video?

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
What is the point of that video?
Thematically appropriate background music! Gives off the right feeling of nervous anticipation from knowing something important is about to happen, and you have no idea whether it'll be good or bad.

Also because there's a plausible chance of the next Fire Emblem game getting announced tomorrow, and a remake of Genealogy of the Holy War is one option for that.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Thematically appropriate background music! Gives off the right feeling of nervous anticipation from knowing something important is about to happen, and you have no idea whether it'll be good or bad.

Also because there's a plausible chance of the next Fire Emblem game getting announced tomorrow, and a remake of Genealogy of the Holy War is one option for that.
Wouldn’t a Pokemon song been more appropriate?

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Well then.

I always believed fighter #9 was the best position to get a pokemon rep. Fighter 10 aligns too well with e3 (and so far we've only had 3rd party characters announced for Ultimate dlc) & fighter 11 feels too far away for a pokemon rep imo. Though for all we know, Min Min could've been the only nintendo rep we got in this pass.

Plus, they didn't explicitly say a character. We could just get other updates, tweaks and additions; like new modes, better online, etc. (though that's just me being a tad pessimistic).

Last edited:
Top Bottom