• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

zacian

Smash Apprentice
i’ve always read that is was because it didn’t have stuff from Emerald, which I really don’t get cuz it seems like the things they left out was just the Battle Frontier and Rayquaza being the main Legendary
To this day I still don't understand why people hated ORAS.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To be honest, I can't keep up with what games the Pokémon fanbase loves and hates. Gen 5 was universally hated until it became universally loved. People trashed Gen 6 until Gen 8 came around, then it became more tolerable. I'm not even sure I know where a majority of people stand on Gen 7.

All I know is that anything that comes from Gen 2 through 5 is put on a pedestal. Anything else is subject to frequent trash talk.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
To be honest, I can't keep up with what games the Pokémon fanbase loves and hates. Gen 5 was universally hated until it became universally loved. People trashed Gen 6 until Gen 8 came around, then it became more tolerable. I'm not even sure I know where a majority of people stand on Gen 7.

All I know is that anything that comes from Gen 2 through 5 is put on a pedestal. Anything else is subject to frequent trash talk.
Gen 7 is considered good by Pokemon standards, but is scrutinized for linearity and handholding. About it really.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

people hated 5?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yes, for a long time too, because, and get this, because there were ice cream and trash Pokemon, among others. They didn't like it because of bad designs. Of course, there are those who hate it for actual reasons, but that's the reasoning I see everywhere.
i always liked vanilte myself. and ive got a huge soft spot for gen 5

on a different note
some are claiming the gen 4 remakes have been leaked

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
i always liked vanilte myself. and ive got a huge soft spot for gen 5

on a different note
some are claiming the gen 4 remakes have been leaked
Yeah, because a very reliable source leaked it. They leaked large amounts of info about SWSH, IoA, and CT before their release, and all the info was accurate.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Honestly, about half the criticism toward recent generations comes off as people wanting to look cool in front of their peers. There are things that could be better, sure, but every generation has been that way. Seriously, don't get me started about how poorly Red, Blue, and Yellow have aged.

We're better off being constructive about it than all the damned hyperbole getting flung around. Which is easier said than done...

I do still hope for Sinnohnian forms though.
So I'm not the only one who thought of that! If the rumors hold true, this'll be our first set of true remakes since regional variants became a thing. Hopefully they take the chance to give us a handful of Sinnohan Forms of mons from Gens 5-7. Or mons who didn't appear in the original Sinnoh games, at least.

Fighting/Ice Sinnohan Mienshao, anyone?

To this day I still don't understand why people hated ORAS.
Main reason I've heard is because they didn't copy enough content from Emerald. Mainly the Battle Frontier. Which...it depends on what you're looking for from the games, I guess.

I do hope these potential Sinnoh remakes incorporate elements from Platinum, at least (because relying on the famously flawed D/P Sinnoh Dex without any upgrades would just be shooting themselves in the feet, among other things). I also wouldn't mind if the Battle Frontier made a return in some form, though if there's enough else to do in postgame (like if they expand the Underground even further, or turn most of the northern island into a Wild Area), then I wouldn't mind as much.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
people hated 5?
At the time gen 5 came out, the largest criticism was that it was "too different and unfamiliar" and also didn't like that they were forced to use only new pokemon without any familiar faces (at least with Black & White 1). Also didn't help that many were overly critical of the pokemon designs, which I personally think gen 5 has some of the best (and at the same time worst) pokemon designs of all time, even to this day.

Ironic that when Game Freak made the most ambitious and risky pokemon game they got trashed for it and now it's completely flipped over. And gen 5 didn't sell as well as the Sinnoh games or X&Y at the time (and still lightly below by 1-2 million).

For the record, I only asked about ORAS because I know why many dislike X/Y, Sun/Moon, Let's Go and especially USUM & Sword/Shield.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
At the time gen 5 came out, the largest criticism was that it was "too different and unfamiliar" and also didn't like that they were forced to use only new pokemon without any familiar faces (at least with Black & White 1). Also didn't help that many were overly critical of the pokemon designs, which I personally think gen 5 has some of the best (and at the same time worst) pokemon designs of all time, even to this day.

Ironic that when Game Freak made the most ambitious and risky pokemon game they got trashed for it and now it's completely flipped over. And gen 5 didn't sell as well as the Sinnoh games or X&Y at the time (and still lightly below by 1-2 million).

For the record, I only asked about ORAS because I know why many dislike X/Y, Sun/Moon, Let's Go and especially USUM & Sword/Shield.
people are weird

the only complaint i recall from ORAS was ign saying there was too much water, the land sea and air there having passed by them, which just became a meme

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
people are weird

the only complaint i recall from ORAS was ign saying there was too much water, the land sea and air there having passed by them, which just became a meme
I still don't see how ORAS is easier than XY, which is something I've seen plenty of people swear by.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I don’t get why people are surprised Pokemon is easy
All I know is that the major trainers from Kalos have lackluster AI compared to previous games + their teams are objectively terrible (the selection of pokemon, the fact that they use 3 pokemon max and their lackluster movepools). Other than this I don't see what they mean with future games being notably easy.

Though to be fair, I did find gen 4 & 5 somewhat more challenging than gen 6, 8 & base Sun/Moon. But only a bit, not a drastic change many swear by.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
All I know is that the major trainers from Kalos have lackluster AI compared to previous games + their teams are objectively terrible (the selection of pokemon, the fact that they use 3 pokemon max and their lackluster movepools). Other than this I don't see what they mean with future games being notably easy.

Though to be fair, I did find gen 4 & 5 somewhat more challenging than gen 6, 8 & base Sun/Moon. But only a bit, not a drastic change many swear by.
cant say i ever noticed a challenge change. they are aimed at kids perhaps more than grown ups so it makes sense that theyre easy

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

Well then. Nothing like being so powerful you get banned from the banlist.

And this doesn't even stop default Zacian from ditching her sword and still being effective in Ubers.

I don’t get why people are surprised Pokemon is easy
The games don't feel easy when you're younger and your only real strategy is to throw your starter at everything. Of course playing the newer games as a teenager or adult will feel easier when you have a better idea of how to actually build your team!

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605

Well then. Nothing like being so powerful you get banned from the banlist.

And this doesn't even stop default Zacian from ditching her sword and still being effective in Ubers.

The games don't feel easy when you're younger and your only real strategy is to throw your starter at everything. Of course playing the newer games as a teenager or adult will feel easier when you have a better idea of how to actually build your team!
The fact Zacian Crowned is on the same level as the titan Mega Rayquaza though.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
thats my experience in a nut shell

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
The two Issues I can absolutely understand are the absurd level of handholding we've got in recent years, especially in gen 7 + getting handed over too many items like candy; and the lack of exploration and nonlinearity. To many the Wild Areas could be a lot more.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think Gen 8 had the right idea. If they could flesh out the concept a little more and add multiple Wild Areas, I think that would make things a lot more interesting.

Maybe instead of making all Wild Areas be wide, open, and mostly flat plains they could make a few that incorporate unique terrain. Imagine a Wild Area like Galar's except it's an entire mountain with several tunnels and dens.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The two Issues I can absolutely understand are the absurd level of handholding we've got in recent years, especially in gen 7 + getting handed over too many items like candy; and the lack of exploration and nonlinearity. To many the Wild Areas could be a lot more.
at least we could skip the catching tutorial

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Pokémon Unite has potential. I can't say I'm excited for it, but I'll definitely give it a try. If I don't like it all that much, it's not gonna be that big of a deal to me, because again, it's not a game that I've been itching to play. If I do end up liking it, great! I'll have another game to enjoy.

I at least want to try the game before forming a more solid opinion though. I don't think it's fair to trash the game for most of the reasons stated by the fanbase so far. Seems like quite a few people would love for this to fail simply because of Tencent and the effort to appeal to China's demographic.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
what reasons?
Kids don't have the attention span to bother with something like a battle frontier. That only like 1-2% of players would make the most of the battle frontier, so they don't see it worth working on.

Pokémon Unite has potential. I can't say I'm excited for it, but I'll definitely give it a try. If I don't like it all that much, it's not gonna be that big of a deal to me, because again, it's not a game that I've been itching to play. If I do end up liking it, great! I'll have another game to enjoy.

I at least want to try the game before forming a more solid opinion though. I don't think it's fair to trash the game for most of the reasons stated by the fanbase so far. Seems like quite a few people would love for this to fail simply because of Tencent and the effort to appeal to China's demographic.
While I lean on wanting to try MOBAs in general, I'd at least be warry of Unite specifically because of the history of Tensent and stealing your information.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Kids don't have the attention span to bother with something like a battle frontier. That only like 1-2% of players would make the most of the battle frontier, so they don't see it worth working on.
Well that sounds rational

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Well that sounds rational
This may also be the reason the Post games in recent generations aren't that long (plus don't include much to do) or are basically nonexistent. Cause many people stop playing the game after the credits roll (at least in their eyes).

Last edited:

zacian

Smash Apprentice
Real talk I never bothered doing the Battle Frontier because anytime I did I always got my butt kicked

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly, it makes more sense to flesh out the main game anyways. People often pay way too much attention to post game content, and sometimes that's their whole basis for judging how good a Pokémon game is.

Everyone's different, but I'd rather see them put all their effort into the base game. DLC seems like a normal trend for most games nowadays anyway, so that just gives me another reason to not care as much about having another long, convoluted quest after the credits roll. Yeah, DLC is more expensive, but at least the content will likely be far greater than what they would've given us for free with the base game.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Honestly, it makes more sense to flesh out the main game anyways. People often pay way too much attention to post game content, and sometimes that's their whole basis for judging how good a Pokémon game is.

Everyone's different, but I'd rather see them put all their effort into the base game. DLC seems like a normal trend for most games nowadays anyway, so that just gives me another reason to not care as much about having another long, convoluted quest after the credits roll. Yeah, DLC is more expensive, but at least the content will likely be far greater than what they would've given us for free with the base game.
I feel many overpraise going back to Kanto in the Johto games. Like yeah, it's cool we get to challenge 8 more gyms, but Kanto is very stripped down compared to the Gen 1 games. It's understandable in the original gameboy games, but they coud've fleshed it out in the remakes.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Sometimes, becoming good enough to be competitive is it's own prison. In Pokemon's case it means seeing the base game as a mere formality to be pushed through no matter how good it is, because they know nothing in it will truly challenge their honed tactics.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No, it isn't.

Their comment just goes to show that Gamefreak got intimidated by the smartphone gaming market and that they wanted to try and chase that crowd.
which part of not spending time and resources to appeal to one of the smaller parts of the market is not rational?

Top Bottom