• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Group Project of Destiny- No longer active

Spire

III
BRoomer
Hyrule Desert - Castle town underground, sewers, maybe a light car subway system? Prisons and torture chambers? I think we'd also mentioned that the Gorons might be mining in this area?

Maro Woods - Underground jungle. The magmatic activity has led to the underground being fertile and warm in many parts of Hyrule, here the forestry has begun growing downwards as the surface is now dominated by the Maro

Eldin Caldera - Magma chambers, I think on the outskirts of this, i.e. around where Kakariko would have been would be a good location for the Sheikah village?

Fissure Falls - Water caverns, new home of the Zora

Lake Hylia - Still aren't 100% sure what we're doing with this on the surface...maybe the other faction of Zora has moved into the remains of the water temple, causing the rift because the remaining Zora consider it an act of blasphemy?

Gerudo Swamp - Ice grotto, being one of the further regions from the Eldin magma chambers this is a fairly cold area, moisture from the swamp seeps into the earth and creates a frozen labyrinth, new home to the Gerudo. Maybe being deep beneath the surface, relics of Lanayru Sand Sea that were buried by the sands could still be frozen into the caverns

Snowpeak
Great Hyrule Canyon - I blanked on both of these for now, Snowpeak would be obvious but it is redundant with my idea for Gerudo swamp

Also would like to work the names Faron and Lanayru in here somewhere, things named Lanayru tend to be amazing for some reason. Though Eldin Caldera being the only reference makes sense too, this is a Hyrule brutally transformed by the raw power of nature, human virtues like courage and wisdom are gone

An expansion on the subway idea: Hyrule railroad. When you first explore it it's derelict and dysfunctional, a hazy stretch of tunnels the connects various parts of the land, each region would have multiple stations where they intersect with it. When you get the Master Sword hilt, you're able to use the rails and can use this as the method of quick travel, instantly transporting you from station to station
Great insight! Going to list our locations based on what you've written. Items separated by a // are considered parallels. Items separated by a comma cohabit the same region.

Overworld // Underworld
Goron City, Hyrule Desert // Goron Mines, Hyrule Tunnels, Temple of Time
Eldin Caldera // Dodongo Caverns, Zelda
Fissure Falls // Zora's Domain
Great Hyrule Canyon (weaves in an out of the over/underworlds)
Lake Hylia...
Maro Woods // Deku Jungle
Gerudo Swamp // Sunken Glacier
Gotta crash. Going to the Zelda symphony in Dallas tomorrow.

Started looking around for some ideas. I find it surprising that there are chambers filled with crystal protruding at different angles like this. Could make a very interesting location.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Should lake hylia has a small fissure in it, causing a small amount of water to leak down into whatevercavern? Maybe that cavern has frozen over, making an ice-area?

:phone:

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Okay, you guys have been brainstorming for about a week, and it looks like we're going forward with Spire's idea for a Zelda with an overworld/underworld.

I like that we're constructing the world first, and worrying about hammering out the story/characters later. I think this project will turn out better for us putting the story in the world, instead of vice versa.

I think we may need to start discussing leadership roles for the project soon, but seeing as how we're really only focused on world construction right now, that may not be necessary yet. Once we start working on multiple areas at the same time (plot, characters, world design, etc.), then we can start assigning duties and responsibilities.

Also, the thread is already getting a little unwieldy. Most of the posts are dealing with the world creation, but some tangents are coming up that might get lost in walls of text (such as discussions of Ganondorf and other potential characters). Any suggestions on how we can organize things going forward? I suggest that we limit each post to one specific topic, and label the post with a title so that we know what is contained in it. For example, "Hyrule Train System" or "Potential Character" or something like that.

Also, I would advise against multi-quoting. It gets too hard to read and information can be lost or missed easily in a post that deals with multiple subjects from multiple posters. We should reply to each other one post at a time I think. Anything else?

Spire

III
BRoomer
For the time being, post limits will work. Required post titles is a must and I support no multi-quoting. A focus on single ideas will probably prove beneficial.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I can agree to each post being categorized and limited to a single subject, but maybe multiple people have commented on the same subject, I think multiquoting is important so we're not forcing each other to scroll back or go back to previous pages to find out what we're referencing. Another forum entirely might be a good idea since you can split it off into categories like world design, characters, plot etc

I was also thinking we're nearing a point where some more definite leadership and roles will be required. A lot of good ideas have been thrown around but ultimately someone has to decide what does and doesn't get used. Like we went in a lot of different directions with the Ganondorf discussion but never really decided what we were doing. I think it's good that everyone is giving input on everything, this should continue, but someone needs to be able to say "we're doing this, next subject"

etecoon

Smash Hero
Hylian Rail Station​

Spire...I clearly am not, but I decided to take a crack at illustrating my idea for a railway system. The kind of scenery I'd had in mind was inspired by the mine levels in DKC with the lights, it's really nice when it's green and I love the ambiance. Didn't quite get it(er, this looks like vomit...) but this is a rough idea anyway

Spire

III
BRoomer
Wow, that's almost exactly a section of the railways I imagined :O

You should continue mocking up scenery. Your ideas could translate really well into visual and I for one support and appreciate the effort. I don't want to ultimately be the sole artist of this project; the imagery must be collective of our imaginations. We're sharing and developing so many ideas but we all have different mental interpretations. It is vital that when designing our imagery that the finalized designs be based on the best aspects of all our perceptions. That way, we can all see ourselves in the work.

So dude, please continue drawing. And I urge others to do the same!

etecoon

Smash Hero
Art Staff

Will do, I'll probably stick with landscapes, even with paper/not using mouse and MS paint I have more difficulty with characters, terrible at drawing hands...

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Nice job etecoon.
I for one can't draw to save my life, so count me out on that.
I can however get ideas in my head.
With that in mind, I think a subforum if we can get it would work well for us.
With only five or six people, how many people can fit into X groups?

etecoon

Smash Hero
Organization

Could definitely fit our staff into a usergroup but as I recall there are more limitations on the forum there, like I'm not sure if you can post pictures. Idk, haven't been in a group here for a long time

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Organization

Yeah, I don't know if the usergroups would make things easier or harder, honestly.

In terms of leadership, I think Spire should definitely be in charge of the world construction and design. That would give him final authority over what our game world looks like, and allows him to accept or reject suggestions by others.

I should tell you, Spire, that this is probably the most important job in the project, as everything else, from items to story to characters, will be developed around the game world that you design. Everyone else will be required to consult with you as to whether their ideas actually make sense in your world.

I think etecoon should be in charge of art. He's already made some really good contributions, and having someone else specifically designed with artwork would take some pressure off of Spire as well.

That still leaves a few more jobs that need to be filled, but we haven't really reached the point where we need to discuss that yet.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
That's fine. He's just in charge of art, it doesn't mean he has to do ALL the art.

Spire

III
BRoomer
If Etecoon can manage art, that's what matters. He would need to arrange what art needs to be done, employing our artists (currently he and myself) with tasks and deadlines. If he feels the need to see x character, then he would post that as a job.

I agree, sanctioning the art field away from world design is good, as I'd be swamped if I had to manage both.

As a side note, we should avoid seeking external help right now. We have good minds on board and I'd really like to see as much work as we can push out. Maybe once we've gained some footing the project will attract others who'll fall into positions which we'll likely have ascertained by then. Structure is key and I'm damn glad we have Jam on board for that.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Spire said:
As a side note, we should avoid seeking external help right now. We have good minds on board and I'd really like to see as much work as we can push out. Maybe once we've gained some footing the project will attract others who'll fall into positions which we'll likely have ascertained by then. Structure is key and I'm damn glad we have Jam on board for that.
I agree. Jam seems to have a sense of order and drive on this.
I think wringing as much as possible from us will be a good start.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Staff Responsibilities

I think art is really Spire's department, both for being a better artist and being able to articulate his ideas better, but I can see the logic in not overloading him so I can do that. I suppose for now it's all concept art, we don't need sprites or character models or anything, so it's not too much to figure out what we need to work on

So that means so far we have

Art director - etecoon
Artist - Spire
Artist(landscapes) - etecoon
Director - Jam?
Music composition - etecoon, kupo?
World design - Spire

For the art crew it would be good if someone else could contribute as a secondary character designer(or even as primary) as I am with landscapes, anyone?

Spire

III
BRoomer
I've begun work on character designs. Drawing by hand, so don't expect anything quite yet. It's a longer, but more worthwhile process.

I'm very excited for the music actually. Music is just as important as visual art because it conveys the audible breath of the world. Color and sound are essentially the same thing so it would be to our advantage to develop them simultaneously. I wonder if Kupo is actually committed to the project. Haven't heard a peep from him since the beginning.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Yeah that's why I put the ? there, dunno his status.

And I do intend to start music soon, been reeling from a computer crash for a few months where I lost 6 years of found samples so it's been a little slow getting back up with that, actually almost have all my stuff back but one of my favorite drum kits isn't around anymore >: It's helpful to know more about the world first though, since OoT the soundtracks have typically had a good amount of world influence depending on the kinds of culture used in the game

Drawing by hand is slower for you? Goes to show that I don't know what I'm doing with the computer lol, that was actually the first picture I've drawn in paint in years, I didn't even know they had a few different brushes now, I used to just draw with the spray tool

Project Roles

The only artistic ability I ever developed was copying what I see into a sketch. I lack the details to turn an imagination into a drawing or even give it colors. I could somehow pitch-in some simple sketches for non-living, non-landscape drawings.

As far as music composition, this too I have no ability in. The only thing I can offer is an imagination. I think we could very easily develop this into two segments. Etecoon & Spire are the artists. The rest of us can attempt some concept art for things in places. Everyone else (including them) are apart of planning/development.

Simply seems easiest this way since I thought it was intended to be a group project where a lot of opinions are weighed relatively equally to get a richer game. One person in charge of strictly character or item or NPC or plot, etc. can get stale very quickly.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'll leave the actual map to Spire but I wanted to start fleshing out the geography a bit, give me some opinions on this

We haven't decided if Snowpeak will be in it or if it's changed, or if Lake Hylia has changed, so west Hyrule is where we seem to have the most questions

World Map (Overworld)

I see no issue with a Lake Hylia existing. It being smaller than it has been in previous games or simply it is more polluted. This can be due to toxins or rocky chucks blasted off from the Death Mountain eruption.

To fill in the lower portion of that image, Maro woods could extend further westward, but the section nearest the caldera might not have recovered.
If you see images of the Mount St. Helen's eruption the trees are completely flatlined.

I would like to have a segment dedicated to an icy tundra and the snow peak fits that. Or it could be a nameless mountain and the ice moved underground.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I like the idea of Lake Hylia being polluted, and the water level could be lower due to no zora's river but it still gets some rainfall being near Gerudo Swamp

Maro Woods is dominated by fungus, and this is supposed to be centuries after the fact. But yeah, more south would also make sense coinciding with TP's map more, each game is a bit different

I'm not opposed to Snowpeak but maybe the Gerudo underground should be something else then?

Caldera's also sometimes form lakes, any thoughts on this?

etecoon

Smash Hero
Jealous :/

Another thought, was Snowpeak a mountain or a glacier? Glaciers move so maybe it has crept southward and Gerudo desert is already an ice sheet, and Lake Hylia could be a swamp? Just throwing out a lot of ideas at this point

Orboknown

Smash Hero
zeldawikia said:
Snowpeak consists of several mountains. During the Twili invasion, Snowpeak's cold weather was responsible for freezing the flow of water in Zora's Domain
Its a mountain, according to this.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Alright.
Any idea on who is working on what specifically under each leader/supervisor or we gonna continue with everyone chiming in on every thing?

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I'm not going to get down to that level of micromanagement. Spire, etecoon and whoever else can decide who they want to do what. People can chime in, but the final decision will be left to the leader of each aspect of the project.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I revised my image a bit, closer to what I was going for now but still not perfect, getting a little better at getting the colors I want though

etecoon

Smash Hero
mmm, as I said, it was largely inspired by this DKC stage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rgo4DS_nEk

I'm thinking the music could be calm like this too when you first go in but later on when you can use the rails it's more upbeat and melodic. I have a few chord progressions in mind for this, something I love about the series' soundtracks is that they frequently reference each other in very subtle ways, where you'll notice something familiar without it being a full arrangement, I'd like to do a lot of that

Also figured a luminescent stone made sense since there's no one left to keep torches going or anything that requires maintenance like that...

Orboknown

Smash Hero
etecoon said:
Also figured a luminescent stone made sense since there's no one left to keep torches going or anything that requires maintenance like that...
Yea that makes perfect sense.
There can also be sections of caved in cielings where sun leaks through

Top Bottom