• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Group Project of Destiny- No longer active

etecoon

Smash Hero
Since we're not working on it right now it gives anyone plenty of time to read the thread and get caught up, I think we were going to need another artist or two anyway

etecoon

Smash Hero
Could definitely use more artists...don't need to be amazing or anything, I have no real background in art either and really haven't drawn anything since like 2005(used to draw a lot in high school instead of taking notes lol), so it's not like you need to be extremely skilled

Essentially I'm responsible for like 70% of the aesthetic direction of this between art and music at the moment, it's a lot for something that will likely never be a real game anyway, as far as being a showcase of art I'd planned on working more on the music, of which I've yet to do anything for this :/

I'll have to drop out of this. I never should have joined up with a side project in the first place.

Ironic you guys plan to start up on my b-day lol

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I skimmed that yesterday. The author has some points, but the article is so overwrought as to basically be unreadable.

I don't think we really need to worry about the design problems other Zelda games have. We're already heading in a pretty unique direction, and I think we all understand that the important thing is that this is a Zelda game in spirit, but not necessarily in design or execution.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Yeah I didn't think it was going to hit the same territory either, but I do think it's useful to discuss overall game design philosophies now while we aren't doing any of the real work anyway, so when we do go back into it we have a concrete ideal to strive for

Then again in all likelyhood this won't be an actual game anyway so that may be a moot point

etecoon

Smash Hero
This is on hiatus but we've kicked around a few ideas in the meantime so I'd like to ask something that I thought of while I was skimming the topic again

Originally Posted by Spire View Post
If you want to get into religious semantics, you could say that the Gorons were the new people chosen by the gods because of their nigh perfect habitation of said environment. The Hylia were once known as the people 'closest to the gods' but that status could be transfered to the Gorons given the radical environmental departure. Of course there's no proof of this godly connection, it's more or less metaphor.

I like this because we've seen this a lot, things happen and over time are attributed to the Gods but they never actually seem to directly intervene in the world of Hyrule, you only hear about it happening in the legends
Wouldn't the underworld dwellers probably take this as a sign that they've been punished by the Gods for something? I wonder what that would be?

I've also come around on the idea of Lake Hylia being an oasis, not really sure what I had against that in the first place...I think I was more stuck in the concept of the world immediately after an extinction event rather than being somewhat removed from it, I think some of the other ideas we've considered like Maro Woods or more recently Eldin Caldera don't mesh with that idea of a completely scorched earth, and even earlier on Spire had said he envisioned there being at least some sparse vegetation there.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Lake hylia being an oasis makes sense.

On the religion bit, perhaps Hyrule fell into idol worship or something and invoked the wrath of the gods? Mayhaps one of the times Ganon took control of Hyrule(the failed timeline) the memory of him being a Human faded and the people began to consider him as a God?

Jakor

Smash Ace
Hmm... I've read most of the things in this thread, and I have to say I'm really interested in participating in this project.

I could do some of the programming and coding for the game, although I must admit I only have little experience with making video games (like the 3-D world, and characters that move within it), but I could help nonetheless with some of the more raw/logic stuff (characters, enemies, items, etc. as well as their places in the many different areas). I also have to tell you that I have no experience on making models or textures, as that falls more into the art/graphic stuff.

I really like the main ideas for the story and the areas thought of so far. I could also help with contributing with some ideas of my own, concerning the world, the story and the gameplay.

And I actually quite like your drawings, etecoon. They are kinda impressionist in style, which I like very much.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Thanks! I haven't quite gotten the aesthetic for maro woods after 4 tries but yeah I can see the influence, as spire said a lot of that was having just played SS I think

Jakor

Smash Ace
But of course, it would be useless to start coding the game unless we have enough programmers for the project, as well as people who are able to create models and stuff. Which we still don't know if the project will really reach that point or not.

I can do a variety of art related things for the project, but only during the summer when I have time off from school.

etecoon

Smash Hero
But of course, it would be useless to start coding the game unless we have enough programmers for the project, as well as people who are able to create models and stuff. Which we still don't know if the project will really reach that point or not.
It was never really expected since none of the original members had any programming background, I'd even suggested that maybe it could be a visual novel since you don't need so much experience for something like that, but if we're able to progress with something that would be great too

I can do a variety of art related things for the project, but only during the summer when I have time off from school.
Excellent! We're already on hiatus for a little more than a month so you shouldn't miss too much

Babe, I know 6-7 programming languages. I just don't feel like giving this project that much attention.
I'm doing this to have things to fill up my portfolio lol.

Also, when I said art things, I also meant music stuff. I'm a bit rusty with making MIDI stuff in pro tools, but I can figure it out during the summer. :p

etecoon

Smash Hero
Nice, we had one other person express interest in doing music but he pretty much just wanted to do that without any other involvement in the project after everything else was done, which was entirely against the philosophy of the project to begin with. I've actually already written a few tracks but once you and spire have some time I'd like to work out an aesthetic philosophy for it so that everything can be as cohesive as possible

Jakor

Smash Ace
We could also look for people outside of this forum to participate in the project. All we really need is to find people who like the Zelda series and are interested in participating in the project.

Also, could you link me to one of your song, etecoon? I'm curious.

Jakor

Smash Ace
Very interesting. My favorites were A Temple Covered in Ice, Exploring the Jungle Ruins and Factory, although the rest of the songs were quite good also.

Also, wouldn't it be possible to continue the project even if some people aren't here to continue? We could work on what we've got so far...

etecoon

Smash Hero
When it was suspended me and Spire were responsible for all media, and Spire is essentially the director too with the core concept of the project mostly coming from his vision, so I thought it would be weird to continue it without him...even from the brainstorming perspective, never mind that I'd have been doing all of the content

Jakor

Smash Ace
Ok, I can understand that. The only thing that sucks is we're going to have to wait two more months before starting to work on the project. We could ask Jam Stunna what he thinks about that, since he's the one who started this project.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
I'd be fine with a limited contribution thing, maybe just more brainstorming without any major voting on what direction to continue in.
Jam's call.

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
You know, I've always wanted a Zelda that wasn't targeted at a 10 year audience and would have a more mature theme/story. If you guys do something like this, I would love to see a more mature/darker look at a zelda game.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I've been working on Link all day long.

I have grown distant from the original concept as I now realize how weirdly dependent it was on the core lore. I'll upload a design when I develop one worth presenting.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Glad to hear it Spire, can't wait to see what you come up with. I also had a new perspective when I re-approached this, it can be helpful to take a step back sometimes

You know, I've always wanted a Zelda that wasn't targeted at a 10 year audience and would have a more mature theme/story. If you guys do something like this, I would love to see a more mature/darker look at a zelda game.

That being said I did have an idea the other day that slightly pertains to this...

Remember my idea for an underground system of railways and how when you first go there it'd have kind of a melancholy ambience where you couldn't actually ride the rails yet? What if there was a monster down there that was ungodly strong and would just rip you to shreds in an instant if it spotted you? Kind of a survival horror element where all you can do is hide/run from it.

I may be shallowly fishing for reasons to imitate Akira Yamaoka, maybe

Actually it's kind of an interesting challenge figuring out what kind of sound I want to use for this, I don't want to go TOO far out there like that, keeping with Zelda tradition I intend to use a lot of orchestral, folk, and world influence, but being me I have to find some room for synthesizers as well, creating my own timbres is a big part of my music. I'm thinking there's more room for blatantly electronic sounds in the areas associated with the technological/magic past of Hyrule, where more natural areas would be more traditional(though there are a few synthesized sounds in OoT, MM, and TP, so it's not toootally against the series tradition to use them tastefully here and there)

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
So what's gonig on with this. I'd love to help in some way with ideas/writing. Not sure if you've past that poart already or what. I'll probably look through the entire thread later on, I see your on hiatus. Just wondering what's this up to and what it needs at the moment.

I've always wanted to write a Zelda story. I've come up with 4 ideas on my own of just stuff I'd like to see. One more mature, one as a spritual successor to MM, one with Sheik as a main protagonist and one as a 2D side scroller focusing on the birth of Ganondorf and something like this piques my interest.

etecoon

Smash Hero
We're still in a relatively early phase of planning so there's plenty of time to contribute, Sheik isn't the protagonist but the concept we're working with is kind of relevant to that idea

Jakor

Smash Ace
If it ends up being too complicated or impossible to do the game in 3D, we can always try and do it in 2D. It wouldn't be as interesting, but it would be simpler to do.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I still find 2D games interesting D:

I think it'd work just as well for the underground area if not better, it's the surface where 3D would really help bring out the scope of it

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Glad to hear it Spire, can't wait to see what you come up with. I also had a new perspective when I re-approached this, it can be helpful to take a step back sometimes

That being said I did have an idea the other day that slightly pertains to this...

Remember my idea for an underground system of railways and how when you first go there it'd have kind of a melancholy ambiance where you couldn't actually ride the rails yet? What if there was a monster down there that was ungodly strong and would just rip you to shreds in an instant if it spotted you? Kind of a survival horror element where all you can do is hide/run from it.
Like one of the famously optional bosses from the Final Fantasy series? and down the rails is some ungodly powerful weapon or item?
I still find 2D games interesting D:

I think it'd work just as well for the underground area if not better, it's the surface where 3D would really help bring out the scope of it
I would think a 3D underworld would be more amazing to explore.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Like one of the famously optional bosses from the Final Fantasy series? and down the rails is some ungodly powerful weapon or item?
I never really considered the possibility of Link actually beating it, I literally meant it chases you down and kills you in like 3 unblockable hits. Maybe you can run it over later on...

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Running over it is too easy, blasting ice arrows at it on a track while chucking bombs at frozen sections is m idea of fun. Molten rock monster?

Edit: I like the idea of having something you basically can't touch but can come back to and measure your growth over your adventure. Better than kill boss get item, lather rinse.

:phone:

etecoon

Smash Hero
It's easy, but it's the train cart killing him, he'll still slaughter you in an instant if you approach him on foot! Maybe it doesn't even kill him, it just knocks him down for a moment so he can't catch you...

I didn't think of it at the time but I'm really thinking of something like the most terrifying video game monster ever more so than a FF hidden boss

etecoon

Smash Hero
Edit: I like the idea of having something you basically can't touch but can come back to and measure your growth over your adventure. Better than kill boss get item, lather rinse
This is always good, echoes of Vile or SA-X here(actually that would describe SA-X almost exactly...), but I think that's more the role of a main villain or rival, where at least as of this point all I came up with for this was "random monster in the underground that will **** your **** up"

I'll have to bring it back up later, I don't want to flesh something like this completely out with input from a fraction of the group

Top Bottom